As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, the Witcher 360 (isn't coming out for a long time)

Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
After completing Fallout 3 (and Mass Effect before that), this is the next big RPG I'm looking forward to. It's, as far as I know, one of the next big western-style RPG's we'll be able to enjoy on the 360 (Edit: oops, and PS3), and I'm damn excited. (PC-style is probably a dated term, now, but you know what I mean)

Spoiler'd for huge
witcher1_large.jpg

915112_20071105_screen003.jpg

witcher3_large.jpg

A few things to know:

Eastern European RPG's are fucking awesome. They don't hold your hand, and they are exceedingly deep, traditionally.

These guys localized Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and the Icewind Dale series for Poland back in the day -- so they know their games.
“Console gamers don’t want to be treated like kids; they’re ready for deep story-driven games, and we think we’re delivering one of the deepest console RPGs ever with The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf,” said Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED. “The only thing we’re taking directly from The Witcher is the story; everything else is being created from scratch or significantly reworked to get us to our end goal of delivering the ultimate console RPG.”

“We’re not about to dumb down our games for anyone,” added Michal Kicinski, co-founder of CD Projekt. “We want to give players the best games, regardless of platform; it’s important to us that each game plays to the platform’s strengths while treating our players with respect. That was our development philosophy with The Witcher, it’s our philosophy with Rise of the White Wolf, and it’s our philosophy on the other two games in development at CD Projekt RED. Anyone concerned that we’re going to somehow offer a shallow RPG simply because we’re working on consoles can stop worrying.”

The bad news? It's not going to be coming until this Fall, I believe.

Gamespot PC review excerpts:
New battle mechanics, a fantastic storyline, and a gritty setting make The Witcher one of the most engrossing, mature RPGs to arrive on the PC in years. Score: 8.5

"So no, The Witcher sure isn't all sunshine and lollipops. But even though you might need a few Prozac pills to handle the game's bleak tone, the story becomes incredibly compelling when you have so much riding on your actions. Characters seem like real people, not the good-evil-neutral triad of stereotypes that populate most fantasy games. Only a few aspects of the story and setting remind you that you're just playing a game."

"It's ridiculous enough that the side quests in every act let Geralt get horizontal with virtually every woman he meets" (Haha, christ almighty)

"A postwar fantasy world called Temeria that feels lived in (if not postapocalyptic), as well as plot points that involve serious moral choices. Story and setting have been borrowed from The Last Wish, a Polish fantasy novel published way back in 1990 by Andrzej Sapkowski, and for once such an adaptation has been pulled off successfully. "

Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0r2VyaGHEE

Interview notes:

Weather changes! Cool
Based on an author who specializes in writing in shades of gray rather than the unrealistic notion of stark black and white
40 hours for main quest, 80 hours for side quests and seeing all the places, etc.
Six styles of combat (each can be upgraded) There's other aspects of combat beyond the 'style' of course
Very different from PC version - hundreds of new animations, more realistic and fluent movement and attacks, brand new player models, new lighting dynamics, normal mapping, etc. Basically, a new engine
Enemy AI revamped to be more lively, aggressive

Dangerou-Dave on

• Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit bloom! This sounds great though, good to see they got successful enough for this.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got the Enhanced Edition on PC for Christmas, but I've been distracted by Fallout. I need to try it soon.

FYI, I think western-style works instead of PC-style to describe this type of game, since it then contrasts with the term JRPG.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    I got the Enhanced Edition on PC for Christmas, but I've been distracted by Fallout. I need to try it soon.

FYI, I think western-style works instead of PC-style to describe this type of game, since it then contrasts with the term JRPG.

Good point. I guess I'm still stuck in the 90's, when I was playing games like Baldur's gate, and the only comparable thing on consoles were games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ya know, I keep hearing the name Witcher tossed around, and I know nothing about it, I really should change that.

So this is an action RPG?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ya know, I keep hearing the name Witcher tossed around, and I know nothing about it, I really should change that.

So this is an action RPG?

It has action-based combat, but it has deep RPG mechanics. It's no Fable 2.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just caught this news in the Fallout thread, am currently very excited.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Galaga, download the demo. Get passed the "intro part" and into the town, from there you will love it unconditionally. At least thats what happened to me. Love this game alot.

And yeah, its more about role-playing, than combat. I find much more enjoyment out of watching your character being a general badass in dialog than in combat.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's also coming for PS3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What piqued my interest in this game was hearing about how some were disappointed in Fallout 3's ending...Someone on the forum mentioned that the Witcher's is pretty much the exact opposite in terms of scope and consequence.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Galaga, download the demo. Get passed the "intro part" and into the town, from there you will love it unconditionally. At least thats what happened to me. Love this game alot.

And yeah, its more about role-playing, than combat. I find much more enjoyment out of watching your character being a general badass in dialog than in combat.

I suppose I shall have to when you say things like that. Sounds interesting. :P

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I didn't realize how revamped the 360 version is going to be until I watched that Youtube interview. Wow. And usually you hear about the 'dumbing down' for consoles.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cool, I've been debating about picking it up for PC because I wasn't sure if I could run it worth much.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Was The Witcher good? I kept passing it by when I saw it in the PC games aisle.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brym wrote: »

Good point. I guess I'm still stuck in the 90's, when I was playing games like Baldur's gate, and the only comparable thing on consoles were games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

So much like nowadays.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was real, real happy to hear about the Witcher coming to consoles. Though to be honest, I can never think of it without seeing either of those 2 old comics in my head:

E3 comic (I think),
    Pros: More witchy than I expected.
    Cons: Not yet witchy enough.

And near-release,
    "I'll have you know I come from a long line of witches, each one witcher than the last."
    "So you're not the Witcher at all, then. You're the Witchest."

Anyway, I've yet to hear anything but glowing praise for this game, and I was very pleased to read that memo they put out about how they believe console audiences are, essentially, smart enough to appreciate a game like this. My PS3 waits with bells on!

That said, I sure hope Microsoft doesn't pay for exclusive downloadable game-chunks you can only get on the 360. That Fallout 3 content really burns my waffles.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jeff Greene of GFW (RIP) had a pretty good 20-minute or so discussion on this game in 2007 on GFW Radio. Wish I knew which episode it was.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been glued to the Enhanced Edition of this game for so long now, it's got to be one of the best games on PC in a long time. I don't want it to end. A few niggles, but it has so much more depth and personality than anything I've played by an American, Australian, Japanese or whatever developer.

Play it on Hard and play it in Polish with subtitles. It's magical.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I should probably switch to Polish. The english voices aren't so great.

But this game is really good. The stuff they say about tough decisions with consequences really is true, unlike most RPGs (cough cough Bioware).

Food on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have The Witcher on PC (bought it long before EE, bitches!) but I have yet to play much of it. I have so many games on my plate right now I'm not sure what I should play.

EDIT: Don't see an option to switch the language to Polish?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have The Witcher on PC (bought it long before EE, bitches!) but I have yet to play much of it. I have so many games on my plate right now I'm not sure what I should play.

EDIT: Don't see an option to switch the language to Polish?

You can download the EE content if you register. I know at least after that you can choose language and subtitle options.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh man I'm liking people's responses to the PC version.

This is a ways off, so I'll make sure this thread resurfaces when the game is actually a tangible thing.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to have to try the demo for this; I've gotten a taste for RPGs again after Fallout 3.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fallout 3 is great, but The Witcher is the better rpg. It's got a metric ton more depth in everything it does, the writing/plot is infinitely better written/implemented and more mature/thought-provoking to boot. Your choices in The Witcher influence your game drastically. So much in fact I promise it'll take you by surprise during your first playthrough. Also, things are a hell of a lot more gritty in The Witcher's world.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am a devout fan of CD Projekt since they released the Enhanced Addition, for free, to people who bought the original game. In fact, I was so supportive of their efforts, that I bought the enhanced addition (and paid $50) just to show how appreciative I was.

I mean, who reworks an entire game, making everything better, and releases it for free? They guys who made STALKER didn't have the audacity to do that, and actually released, in ways, an inferior game (Clear Sky).

Ironically enough, I actually haven't finished The Witcher yet.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RPGs like this always sound good but fall down when it comes to combat, for me.

What's the fighting like in this game?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Fallout 3 is great, but The Witcher is the better rpg. It's got a metric ton more depth in everything it does, the writing/plot is infinitely better written/implemented and more mature/thought-provoking to boot. Your choices in The Witcher influence your game drastically. So much in fact I promise it'll take you by surprise during your first playthrough. Also, things are a hell of a lot more gritty in The Witcher's world.

Sounds promising. Does the STEAM version have the Enhanced Edition stuff as well?

Edit - I see that it does, it says "Enhanced Edition" right on the storefront. Awesome. One more reason to say "No, I can legally blow my bandwidth cap in a hurry."

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Sounds promising. Does the STEAM version have the Enhanced Edition stuff as well?

No idea, I bought the physical copy for all the neat stuff you get with.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The Steam version is the Enhanced Edition, so yes.

Edit: Or do you mean EE out of game stuff? This is what I get for posting before I'm really awake yet. :P

Dourin on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just played through this this Christmas, and if people are wondering about the shades of grey vs. good/evil aspect, let me say this:

I choose the side (there's 2 factions, or you can go neutral) that I thought was logically best for the situation, but I actually sympathized more with the other side.

Also, as a neutral Witcher you can flirt a bit with both sides and don't get locked in til the end of Act 4 (out of 5).

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dourin wrote: »

The Steam version is the Enhanced Edition, so yes.

Edit: Or do you mean EE out of game stuff? This is what I get for posting before I'm really awake yet. :P

Physical stuff. Loot. You know. Game guide, the first book featuring the Witcher (translated into English), bigassed map of the game world, dvd with the game's music (and music inspired by the game) and a making-of dvd. For someone who doesn't own the vanilla game it was a no-brainer.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The electronic version includes everything except the book chapters, there's a publishing issue with that. But you get the music MP3s, DVD .avis, jpeg map and pdf game guide.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    The electronic version includes everything except the book chapters, there's a publishing issue with that. But you get the music MP3s, DVD .avis, jpeg map and pdf game guide.

... How big is this game? Jesus.

Anyone with the STEAM version mind checking on the filesize of everything, including said DVD/MP3/JPEG/lolextras?

Edit - And the possibility of getting all of that loot physically would make me want to hunt down a retail copy rather than an eCopy.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hopefully they fix all of the bugs that still exist in the EE. Also, they better not censor the hell out of it.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's a 14.5 gb download, yea.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Caswynben wrote: »
    Hopefully they fix all of the bugs that still exist in the EE. Also, they better not censor the hell out of it.

Bugs? I had like...3 crashes? in the 60+ hours I spent on my last save. Oh, there is that horrible bug where you completely lose track of time because the game is that good.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm tried the demo for a bit, took a bit to get used to, but it seems pretty neat.

If only someone had peaked my interest during the steam sale. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think I crashed a couple times when loading into a new area, I think when it tried doing some scene before it had really finished loading or something. But otherwise I didn't have any problems. It was probably about 3 crashes in 60 hours for me as well.

Scooter on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Bugs? I had like...3 crashes? in the 60+ hours I spent on my last save. Oh, there is that horrible bug where you completely lose track of time because the game is that good.

You are a lucky one. I have lost saves due to crashes several times. It says a lot that the game is good enough for me to keep coming back.

If the games sex cards make in into the console version, I will eat my own cock.*

(*will not actually eat my own cock)

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually one of my problems with this game was too many saves. Every time you hit quicksave it does a whole new file, so I had to make sure to clear it out every session so my drive wouldn't get full up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You are a lucky one. I have lost saves due to crashes several times. It says a lot that the game is good enough for me to keep coming back.

If the games sex cards make in into the console version, I will eat my own cock.*

(*will actually eat my own cock on youtube)

Fixed. But you're right, no way the slutty witchpic (oh you know the one) will make it in. Btw, I did mention you bang like every female in the game right? And you get a softporn afterwards as a reward. As far as collection minigames go this is as good as it gets.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original