As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Robot Wars - OGs is OUT, OG Gaiden up next

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Where appropriate, such as a grid-based strategy-RPG, it kind of has to now doesn't it? I mean what do you guys think all the hit probabilities are? Some sort of non-statistical form of probability? Perhaps from space?
    Oh I realise all the ways terrain alter or affect the stats of your giant robots/pilots, but I was simply wondering if 'statistical math' covers such considerations as "if I position this giant robot here on the White Star rather than here in Outer Space the entire enemy force can wash over it".

While I know such considerations can be reduced to a numbers game, it wasn't obvious from your comments that you included such into 'statistical math'.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Where appropriate, such as a grid-based strategy-RPG, it kind of has to now doesn't it? I mean what do you guys think all the hit probabilities are? Some sort of non-statistical form of probability? Perhaps from space?
    Oh I realise all the ways terrain alter or affect the stats of your giant robots/pilots, but I was simply wondering if 'statistical math' covers such considerations as "if I position this giant robot here on the White Star rather than here in Outer Space the entire enemy force can wash over it".

While I know such considerations can be reduced to a numbers game, it wasn't obvious from your comments that you included such into 'statistical math'.

I'm not sure what else it would be. It's another piece of statistical data factored into the calculation, hence it affecting the calculation.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I worry less about the specific math and more about making damn sure my hit rates are as close to 100% and dodge rates to 0% as possible (As in a 0% chance of GETTING hit.), and getting on terrain that helps me out. That's about as far as it gets for me.

Oh, and bumping up certain stats, at least in SRW W, where you get ridiculous amounts of PP to do so since skills are handled differently.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I worry less about the specific math and more about making damn sure my hit rates are as close to 100% and dodge rates to 0% as possible (As in a 0% chance of GETTING hit.), and getting on terrain that helps me out. That's about as far as it gets for me.

Oh, and bumping up certain stats, at least in SRW W, where you get ridiculous amounts of PP to do so since skills are handled differently.

That's all statistics, though. I'm not saying you have to whip out a calculator and do a bunch of equations, I'm saying all you're doing is manipulating statistical math and being rewarded with battle animations.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That's all statistics, though. I'm not saying you have to whip out a calculator and do a bunch of equations, I'm saying all you're doing is manipulating statistical math and being rewarded with battle animations.
    Pfft.

Nonsense.

I get rewarded with plot progression. ;-)

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Pfft.

Nonsense.

Heh. The plot in SRW is generally a joke, hopefully deliberately, but the character interaction is entertaining. However none of that is really part of gameplay so much as it's the pretense behind the gameplay.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, where I'm stuck is the one stage where you have to fight off like 3 of the inspectors, and you get a bunch of cool shit if you beat all of them as long as Mekibos is done in last. SInce I fucked up the first Shishioh Blade, this is my last chance to get one.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Pfft.

Nonsense.

Heh. The plot in SRW is generally a joke, hopefully deliberately, but the character interaction is entertaining. However none of that is really part of gameplay so much as it's the pretense behind the gameplay.

Ouch..

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Pfft.

Nonsense.

Ouch..

"Let's try to stick 13 plots into one plot" isn't exactly a recipe for a NY Times Best-seller.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I just don't know if YET ANOTHER New Game + of OG1 is going to help. I have the money, I'm just "Spending it wrong." Why is it so stupidly hard for me to do anything to these bosses? I even upgrade the stupid Alt, Weiss, Wurger, and Falken, and nothing. what do they want with me, to actually have upgraded Gespents either with a Graviton Launcher or a Shishioh Blade? this is getting to be rediculous.

I Don't get why people were bitching about the reduced difficulty. OG2 is still fucking hard ass OG2.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Pfft.

Nonsense.

Ouch..

"Let's try to stick 13 plots into one plot" isn't exactly a recipe for a NY Times Best-seller.

I know, I know...

To each, his own. That is all 8-)

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just don't know if YET ANOTHER New Game + of OG1 is going to help. I have the money, I'm just "Spending it wrong." Why is it so stupidly hard for me to do anything to these bosses? I even upgrade the stupid Alt, Weiss, Wurger, and Falken, and nothing. what do they want with me, to actually have upgraded Gespents either with a Graviton Launcher or a Shishioh Blade? this is getting to be rediculous.

I Don't get why people were bitching about the reduced difficulty. OG2 is still fucking hard ass OG2.

They pretty much want very good use of every single kind of combo and support trick in the fucking book with a nice big boom of Valors.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

They pretty much want very good use of every single kind of combo and support trick in the fucking book with a nice big boom of Valors.

So, is it just they make the SRX Team and stuff like the Grungust Type 1 and stuff useless and make you use all those stupid reals with "combo attacks." (It feels like Zengar and Elzam have the only Supers that remain useful.) It's nice that OGs let me keep the Wildraubiter and all, but in the end, it comes down to funneling every cent into those "hero Reals" and rather than having fast Reals to wear down a boss's energy, you have to actually find effective upgrades for Gespents, and make sure you unlock the stupid Shishioh blades and the Graviton that makes them worth using.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

So, is it just they make the SRX Team and stuff like the Grungust Type 1 and stuff useless and make you use all those stupid reals with "combo attacks." (It feels like Zengar and Elzam have the only Supers that remain useful.) It's nice that OGs let me keep the Wildraubiter and all, but in the end, it comes down to funneling every cent into those "hero Reals" and rather than having fast Reals to wear down a boss's energy, you have to actually find effective upgrades for Gespents, and make sure you unlock the stupid Shishioh blades and the Graviton that makes them worth using.

Well, from what I've seen, stuff like the SRX is still plenty useful, it's just that you're not getting by with it on its own. Nor would a Gespenst or anything like that.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong. I'm no expert strategist.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well, from what I've seen, stuff like the SRX is still plenty useful, it's just that you're not getting by with it on its own. Nor would a Gespenst or anything like that.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong. I'm no expert strategist.

Well, of course not, even In OG1, I had a lot of other units I liked that seem to have been completely been gimped out in OG2, like the Types 1 and 2 Grungusts, even the Type 3 when Bullet gets it, is not that great, The Chogojin help a little, but even then, they still really gimp in comparison to all those combos you desperately need to set up.

What's more, OG2 throws difficult bosses at you a lot earlier in the game. it reminds me so much of Impact, and it stinks. which is a funny connection, seeing as how Kyosuke and Excellen made their first appearance in Impact.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

We told you so.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited October 2007

R-FOrmation was hardly a combo attack, its not even worth using because Suprize, it isn't the Alpha continuity, wherin the SRX Team is actually damn useful.

Instead, no, you have to use characters with Combo attacks vas your bread and butter, like Rejects from SRW Impact's freaky plotline. or ones who POSE as said rejects.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You know, after watching all of those videos, only one thing comes to mind...

They need to recreate the Death Army in OG.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Or, y'know, use everybody for what they're good at. But that does involve at least rough analysis of the various units' and characters' statistics.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    But that gets difficullt, especialy since there were so many changes from OG1 to OG2. like the loss of Giado and Garnet, for example, my two best support pilots.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man what is with the guys voices in the games?

Masaki, Ryusei and Arado all have way deeper voices then what I pictured them having.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    God, I try and I try, I just never get though OG2. That One Time I beat it, A friend was playing it too, so maybe he did things right where I did things wrond.

I wish if I played enough New Game +es of OG1 they'd just give me 2.5 out of pity.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What's the word?

Schadenfreude?

Yeah that's the word.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    What's the word?

Schadenfreude?

Yeah that's the word.

What does that even mean?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Pfft.

Nonsense.

Ouch..

Yeah, the OG storyline is a bit awkward, though still less so than the licensed mecha SRW games. From what I've heard tell, Gundam SEED was originally not part of @3, but it was so popular that Bandai told Banpresto to put it in anyways. Hence why it doesn't fit very well.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, Having to start over in OGs version of OG2 is annoying. (in some attempt to spend my precious carry over money in a better fashion.) because I have to get through these new missions, which geting through them is pure blind fucking luck.
    Like this mission before the first Rote Split where you've got a little side outing with Kusuha, Ibis, Sleigh, Tsugumi (in a really shitty unupgraded Guarlion that's just as hard to keep alive as Ibis's Calion) And you have to beat a red Grungust that goes crazy after Rishu loses control of it for some reason. It gets very annoying really really fast. it's only hard because the beginning of Ibis and Tsugumi's Seishin lists are garbage, and I don't think they get much better later on, Unlike Giado and Garnet.

Gah, it doesnt matter, I'm jsut going to end up fucking up again. I guess I'll never get to play 2.5. OG2 only seems to be fun for people who are shills for the ATX team and Arado and Seolla, and generrally the stuff from SRW A, and Impact, and the Compact series, and their extreme difficulty. which is probably why OG2 is so hard, it inherits a lot of difficulty/plot from Impact/Compact. (The Einst, The Shadow Mirror dimension, the Inspectors. Alfimi, etc.) OG1 was probably easier because it derives more from the plot of Alpha. (The Balmar Wars.)

Edit: I was wrong about Excellen and Kyosuke making their first appearance in Impact, it was Compact 2, sorry about the mixup. to be fair, Impact was just compact games being updated and re-released on a system that wasn't obscure and failing (olol wonderswan.)

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    SRW W get! :D

My first Import SRW.

With this awesome story summary and Arkurasu's wiki, I'm playing through the menus with no problems and having a good idea of the story.

On mission 4 at the moment, and it was so annoying at first. Noel just wouldn't dodge the Radam Beast's tentacle rape attack even though the attack's hit rate was at 30%. :x

Also I really like Kazuma's (The Banpresto Original Protagonist) theme song and mech.

Though Valstork is kind of a weird name

Pata on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    What's the word?

Schadenfreude?

Yeah that's the word.

What does that even mean?

Taking delight in another's misfortune.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I've got some good news and bad news.

Good news: OG Gaiden preview oh shits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64IcaPgZ3Qg

Bad news is, it's time for me to bitch at how much I'm sucking at OGs again!

SO, I decided to finally try the Etheopian route again (apparently it's pretty vital to take this route.) and god dammit I hate this shit with the 3 Rhinos. fighting the Gespensts isn't easy with these Limited units. and what's more, they made the stage harder, if you can survive the normally brutal guantlet, they went and made it harder, putting Enchinda is the Randgrith "Raven" this time around.

And I can get farther if I go to the Moon Route, because they give you better units to work with, but it apparently screws me over later, missing that first Shishioh blade and those particular units missing upgrades.

Man OGs, why do you have to make me not play you.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Who the heck is the girl in the catigirl armor.

In other news I'm finally at the final stage (if you don't count the secret one) in OG2, man this game is crazy. I love it. The stage looks nuts, what with all the Regisseurs and all. Good times ahead once I beat down the first wave.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I believe that is supposed to be Kouta's sister, who I think was brainwashed to fight for the badguys, or something like that.

FCD on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Reviving this thread for one purpose and one only.

This.

New preview for OG Gaiden.

It looks awesome. The best part is that it looks like they're not just going to recycle the animations from OGs.

Higher quality Nicovideo Link, for those who can navigate the moonspeak to get an account: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1623586

Also I feel a need for that ART-1 model like I feel a need for food and drink.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    YESSSSSSSS! Fiona in the Excellence Eternal frame! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

FCD on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Looks like the first videos from OGG are coming out now. Here's a cool one of
    Compatible Kaiser combining with Emi's jet mech, after she had been unbrainwashed during battle, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbtOywXtm6U

Enjoy!

FCD on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There's so little time till I get my copy of Gaiden, and I STILL can't get through OG2, I hate this "Struggle though and barely complete missions with no money to spend because it gets eaten by unit repair." shit. I upgraded the alt and stuff this time, but it does me little good when I have to go oon the harder rotes were roughly 80% of the stuff is brand new and needs upgrades, (Avianno route) and it's so hard to get out of this pit. I'm stuck at the mission where you're fighting Archibald and Seolla, and I keep losing units left and right, and even If I can do this, It's not like I'm going to get cash I deperately need for Ouka next mission.

.....Just let me play 2.5 allready.....How many more times do they want me to go through OG1? how much Money am I going to need to carry over in order to not struggle like this?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey, Xenogears of Bore posted this stuff up on the "What RPG/SRPG/Japanese game are you getting in 2008" thread, but really it should be posted in here.

New OG game announced for the Nintendo DS!

Mugen no Frontier: Super Robot Taisen OG saga!

Apperently it's an RPG done as an alternate Universe of OG!

These are the scans we have so far!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6245/uporg1194997fq1.jpg
    http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3269/uporg1195003tz3.jpg
    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9185/uporg1195004vw8.jpg
    http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9703/uporg1195007jz9.jpg
    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3344/uporg1195005jp3.jpg

Release date is supposedly sometime this spring.

Characters:
    Girl with the large....Oh you can guess what: Kaguya Nanbu
    Guy in trombe cowboy colors: Harken Browning.
    The Lamia lookalike: Not sure the name, but is voiced by Lamia's VA.
    Not sure abou the blue haired girl

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Matthew wrote: »
    Hey, Xenogears of Bore posted this stuff up on the "What RPG/SRPG/Japanese game are you getting in 2008" thread, but really it should be posted in here.

Characters:

Some of your pictures don't open, bandwidth something-something, but it could be Kyosuke and Excellen's kids, and then that would just still be Lamia. Maybe, I couldn't see any pictures with her in it. It looks like there's a blue alt-like thing and a red weiss-like thing. So it looks there shall be some delicious ATX-goodness.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There's so little time till I get my copy of Gaiden, and I STILL can't get through OG2, I hate this "Struggle though and barely complete missions with no money to spend because it gets eaten by unit repair." shit. I upgraded the alt and stuff this time, but it does me little good when I have to go oon the harder rotes were roughly 80% of the stuff is brand new and needs upgrades, (Avianno route) and it's so hard to get out of this pit. I'm stuck at the mission where you're fighting Archibald and Seolla, and I keep losing units left and right, and even If I can do this, It's not like I'm going to get cash I deperately need for Ouka next mission.

Man it was funny before, but now it's just kinda sad.

I mean, it just sounds like you're just not very good at these games.

I have no idea if this advice is still relevant but...

Do you have SP regenerate on every character? Do you always keep a repair/resupply unit nearby? (One of the battleships, I use the Hiyru, is good for this)

And finally to you completely abuse the ability to use the HTB Cannon several times in one turn? :P

Pata on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Matthew wrote: »

Characters:

Some of your pictures don't open, bandwidth something-something, but it could be Kyosuke and Excellen's kids, and then that would just still be Lamia. Maybe, I couldn't see any pictures with her in it. It looks like there's a blue alt-like thing and a red weiss-like thing. So it looks there shall be some delicious ATX-goodness.

But wouldn't they then both have Nanbu as their surname?

FCD on