Options

Guitar Hero: Use the other thread

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I probably sound like a broken record, but Painkiller's vocals make me laugh. Uncontrollably. If I were good enough to play the song on expert drums or whatever -- which I'm not -- I'd definitely fail anyways due to laughing too hard.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why? It's not like Rob Halford even sings that high. There are a lot of metal singers who can hit higher pitches than he can. Hell, I can hit higher pitches than he can.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Why? It's not like Rob Halford even sings that high. There are a lot of metal singers who can hit higher pitches than he can. Hell, I can hit higher pitches than he can.

I would suspect that the lyrics are the problem. :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Painkiller is just a heavier version of the leather metal they've been doing since Breakin' The Law

* elkatas shoots BlindPsychic with water cannon * :P

It's British Steel, not Breakin ' the Law.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thinking of dudes with high voices that would be a bitch to sing, I demand that some rhythm game finally crack the licenseing cherry of Queensryche.

Trying to emulate Geoff Tate will take quite a bit of skill, but I'd love an opportunity to belt out Eyes of a Stranger, Jet City Woman, Spreading the Disease, or The Mission.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's like a dying cat singing about how fast his motorcycle can go. In falsetto. I just can't see how anyone can take it seriously.

FASTER THAN A LASER BULLET

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's like a dying cat singing about how fast his motorcycle can go. In falsetto. I just can't see how anyone can take it seriously.

Wrong. It is about knight who rides on flying dragon motorcycle with buzzsaws and saves the post-apocalyptic world. Completely different theme. :rotate:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Painkiller is just a heavier version of the leather metal they've been doing since Breakin' The Law

* elkatas shoots BlindPsychic with water cannon * :P

It's British Steel, not Breakin ' the Law.

I mean that song specifically.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    The VH portion looks great, but only 1 song from the non-VH bands that I'm remotely interested in that isn't or won't be in RB already :x

Well, it at least has song that has probably hardest drum track so far:

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Iv_kAjMLk]Painkiller[/vidurl]

:lol:

I don't know why you didn't just post the RB version... I don't think it'd be wildly different in terms of charting. Add in some extra bass notes for Expert+.

Painkiller in RB

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Full track list for GH: Van Halen.
    Van Halen Songs

“Ain't Talkin Bout Love”
    “Atomic Punk”
    “Eruption” (solo)
    “Hot For Teacher”
    “Ice Cream Man”
    “Jamie's Cryin”
    “Jump”
    “Panama”
    “Running With The Devil”
    “Unchained”
    “You Really Got Me”

Similar Tracks Also In The Game

Fountains of Wayne - “Stacy's Mom”
    Jimmy Eat World - “Pain”
    Tenacious D - “Master Exploder”
    The Clash - “Safe European Home”
    The Offspring - “Pretty Fly For A White Guy”
    Third Eye Blind - “Semi-Charmed Life”
    Weezer - “Dope Nose”
    Yellowcard - “The Takedown”

19 songs I'm interested in. But why the hell are "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me" not together?

So that definitely warrants a purchase when it price-drops to $30 or below.

Also, Santa, "Semi-Charmed Life" is pretty much confirmed in Rock Band. I mean, the lead singer straight up said on his Twitter that "Yeah, we just re-recorded six songs for Rock Band". And Rock Band is known for six-packs. And he named off specific songs, it wasn't a vague B-52's-style thing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JC of DI wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The real challenge would be limiting yourself to one Dave Grohl song per disc title.

GH2: Monkey Wrench and Heart Shaped Box
    RB: In Bloom and Learn to Fly
    RB2: Drain You and Everlong

You forgot "Go With the Flow" featuring Grohl on the first RB disc.

EDIT: Master Exploder I think might have him, too. I know he did a good amount of songs for The Pick of Destiny.

Grohl actually didn't play drums on Go With The Flow, that was Gene Trautmann. Grohl did all of the rest of Songs for the Deaf except for Millionaire. (which was also Trautmann)

W2 on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    [But why the hell are "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me" not together?

Because then like only 5 people would ever get to play You Really Got Me on expert guitar.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    [But why the hell are "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me" not together?

Because then like only 5 people would ever get to play You Really Got Me on expert guitar.

they should just suck less amirite???

glithert on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Wonder how much it'll be like this chart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhpPaXLO8k

Also damnit after RB I always imagine the BRE coming up (would be at 2:32 in that vid)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DAMN, the graphics for the first two or so GH games sucked compared to what they look like now.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't know why you didn't just post the RB version... I don't think it'd be wildly different in terms of charting. Add in some extra bass notes for Expert+.

I would guess they would be pretty similar, but double bass will add *lot* to the song.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    [...]

Also, Santa, "Semi-Charmed Life" is pretty much confirmed in Rock Band. I mean, the lead singer straight up said on his Twitter that "Yeah, we just re-recorded six songs for Rock Band". And Rock Band is known for six-packs. And he named off specific songs, it wasn't a vague B-52's-style thing.

I know, but until it's officially announced, it's still just a rumour. A strong rumour, but still just a rumour.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This probably isn't going to work, but...

Does anyone want to play World Tour?

glithert on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seeing Queen appearing more frequently made me go back and listen to some of their stuff. And weirdly, I want to belt out Princes of the Universe and, if they can remove the Highlander soundbites, Gimme the Prize.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    glithert wrote: »
    This probably isn't going to work, but...

Does anyone want to play World Tour?

Yes.

... if you had been on at 4pm EST.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh also I got 530k on TTFAF in GH3 today. So close to 5 stars, I can taste it.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Wonder how much it'll be like this chart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhpPaXLO8k

Also damnit after RB I always imagine the BRE coming up (would be at 2:32 in that vid)

Having seen it at E3, not very much. A lot more chords and sporadic solo charting.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So at my local Fry's there selling a Logitech PS3 GH:WT strat. Thing is, it doesn't look like the pack-in one. Anyone heard anything about it? Like is it a regular WT Strat, just in a different box or is it actually different in things like size/weight?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    glithert on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yep, that's the one.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, it looks nice, but other than that I don't know anything about it.

I'll be on WT later, so if anyone wants to play, just send me an invite/message/friend request. Gamertag should be painfully obvious.

glithert on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    World Tour and Smash Hits are exportable on all systems to be playable on GH5 and (ugh) Band Hero.

The non-exportable songs are probably Hendrix, because apparently only six of the DLC songs can't be played in GH5, and do remind me how many Hendrix songs are DLC.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    o_O

This is certainly a pleasant surprise. It's only a shame that the charts for Smash Hits are so variable in quality. Otherwise, that's certainly an amazingly progressive step forwards for Guitar Hero. If Metallica and Van Halen also had exportability to Guitar Hero 5, then we'd have something truly magical.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sweet. Maybe I'll finally be able to play Pull Me Under since I never bothered to beat the campaign in GHWT.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Those Wii features are pretty neat. Nice use of the DS.

also
    Upon initial boot you can select to have the game do an auto sign-in with your profile, and using the system's Wii code – not game specific friend codes – it'll automatically find your friends and keep you signed in the entire time. Every time you boot the game after that (as long as you selected it as an initial setting) the game will log you in, reference your Wii system number for friend info, and keep you connected to the Nintendo WFC at all times. This is the first game out of the gate that obliterates friend codes entirely, and from what we're hearing its tech that will now be available to any devs out there that want to rid themselves of the game-specific codes and instead use the system code itself. Good call.

tl;dr Nintendo WFC works like Live now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Um... well. Looks like I'll be renting Smash Hits. With this and now Singstar, my PS3's going to need a bigger hard drive. I'd still like to see Band Hero exportable.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can guarantee that, once the general public realises this, Smash Hits' sales with skyrocket. Or at least increase. This is excellent, more than I was hoping for. :) Christ, why did it take them so long just to say that though? I'm getting the impression a few of their relicencing deals were a bit askew. Tool for GH5 though....? Whoa. I'm VERY impressed now. (Theoretically of course if the 6 is all Hendrix)

Live update: I have it! Problem: I don't have my 360 as I'm currently loaning it to a mate for a film along with my World Tour stuff, however I'll have it back later this night so - here's hoping. :mrgreen:

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I can guarantee that, once the general public realises this, Smash Hits' rentals with skyrocket. Or at least increase. This is excellent, more than I was hoping for. :)

This is pretty cool, though the curse of releasing so many games close together is that the two newest titles (only a month apart!) can't be exportable between each other. I'd really just like everything to be in Band Hero, since it's the latest one chronologically.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Live update: I have it! Problem: I don't have my 360 as I'm currently loaning it to a mate for a film along with my World Tour stuff, however I'll have it back later this night so - here's hoping. :mrgreen:

Woo! I'll actually play the game! Purchase justified!

So we have:
    Vocals- Unlucky
    Guitar- Me
    Bass- open
    Drums- open

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unbreakable, I think that undermines the principal of Band Hero. Mind you, I think any exporting to Band Hero undermines the idea of the game. BUT! I've managed to justify through the mentality - Everything between GH: 3 and GH: 5 was 'band' orientated rather than Guitar. Now, 5'll be more Guitar based and Band Hero will be more band orientated. Basically, things with BORING AS HELL guitar parts will most likely be in Band Hero.

'Cept most of Smash Hits stuff is more guitar orientated considering it's 1, 2, 3, 80's and Aerosmith brought back...

ARG. Bugger it, YAY! Compatibility! Also, it sounds like they intend to KEEP forward compatibility in that future games so....

Guitar Hero future: Not so whimsical. :)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Eh, judging from the two songlists so far, I think I'll vastly prefer BH to GH5.

I just wish they hadn't chosen such a godawful name. What's wrong with Pop Hero, huh, Activision? If you really need to keep the "Hero" name attached then Pop Hero sounds better, and it gives people an idea as to what it's actually about. Band Hero sounds like Guitar Hero with a band. You know, like GH:WT.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah no, I've yet to figure out why Guitar Hero wasn't Guitar Hero 4: World Tour. Mind you, Activision's never been the best at naming stuff. :P Makes me chuckle personally.

Current Live accounts I'm intending to add to friends list when I've gotten my 360 back:
    Glithert
    Schide
    Smug Duckling

Any more I should be adding folks?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some have guessed that it's because they didn't want a game called GHIV. Which almost sounds sufficiently Standards And Practices to be true.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well they switched to a standard numeral for 5, but I guess that kind of thing was impossible a year ago.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hrm, well hey. That's as good a reason as any.

Also, guys I've added you on Live and I now have Gold. Best bet is to try and catch me on here as I have to disconnect my comp to get my 360 access to the net, however whenever I'm free I'll be on here so it's pretty much the same deal. :P

Warning: I don't have a headset yet, so communication will be a tad slow. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic