As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I actually pretty liked the way the developed it. I think it's going to be nearly impossible to do though, either Echo will 'escape' and start developing her own personality far too soon invalidating the interesting twist of the series or she won't do anything and the show will seem stagnated.

I have faith the episodes we do see will be good though, Dushku really played both those characters very well. I hope we see more of echo and the dollhouse next week though, and that we don't just see Echo in dangerous criminal negotiations. I'd like to see her do all sorts of stuff, business takeovers, going on dates, helping design stuff etc.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i found the episode entirely boring until the very last scene

that made me go "huh now i kinda want to watch the next episode and see where this goes"

Pony on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    i found the episode entirely boring until the very last scene

that made me go "huh now i kinda want to watch the next episode and see where this goes"

It does open the possibility of an arc. Without an overarching storyline the show would get stale quickly (well probably, especially since the main character would change personalities constantly).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What this show needs is to have Echo dance in that white dress every single episode with her butt to the camera.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Knowing Whedon the story arc will manifest itself more as the season goes on. The first few episodes may be fairly episode of the week-ish but I'm betting there will be at least a few that are heavily focused on
    Helo finding the Dollhouse/the rogue Active/etc

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    RussellRussell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    What this show needs is to have Echo dance in that white dress every single episode with her butt to the camera.

Seconded.

Russell on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Russell wrote: »

Seconded.
    Thirded.

More relevantly, my girlfriend pointed out that was a terrible song. While I agreed one thing she pointed out is that it was a song about getting so drunk you forget what happens the next day. See what they did there?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Russell wrote: »

Seconded.
    Thirded.

More relevantly, my girlfriend pointed out that was a terrible song. While I agreed one thing she pointed out is that it was a song about getting so drunk you forget what happens the next day. See what they did there?

I think it was just picked because it was 'dance song of the moment' right now.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All I have to say with regards to they show is that even with the new facial scars, Amy Acker is still amazingly hot.
    She may be even hotter

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ain Soph wrote: »
    All I have to say with regards to they show is that even with the new facial scars, Amy Acker is still amazingly hot.
    She may be even hotter

Yes.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I think we can all agree there was far too little Amy Acker in the pilot episode.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Apparently the next four episodes will be very stand alone, but will be bookended like this episode with elements that will add to the arc. They basically wrote five episodes which could serve as entry episodes into the show, with very little reliance on what had happened previously and with not a huge relevance to what is going to happen in the next ones, and also had some chunks of arc that they edited in. For example the very first scene with Echo as Catherine, the end scene, and the scenes with Ballard had nothing to do with the A story of the episode and could easily have been edited into a different one. Also all the elements prepping the audience for the Asian Active.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    Apparently the next four episodes will be very stand alone, but will be bookended like this episode with elements that will add to the arc. They basically wrote five episodes which could serve as entry episodes into the show, with very little reliance on what had happened previously and with not a huge relevance to what is going to happen in the next ones, and also had some chunks of arc that they edited in. For example the very first scene with Echo as Catherine, the end scene, and the scenes with Ballard had nothing to do with the A story of the episode and could easily have been edited into a different one. Also all the elements prepping the audience for the Asian Active.

I pretty much expected this to be the case. Almost the same as Firefly or the first seasons of Buffy or Angel.

In other words, it's just starting out. Give it a chance to develop, I fully expect it to become something amazing.

OremLK on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    God, I hope that doesn't mean we have to wait four more episodes for humor to work its way into the show.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope we get four more episodes.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope that Fox the corporation overrides Fox the network on this show. I mean Buffy/Angel/Firefly made shitloads of money off of people wanting to buy seasons on DVD. Not to mention Merchandising. It may not be up there with Simpsons/Family guy, but it can hardly be chump change.

Make Fox network take one for the team.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Discussing whether Summer Glau is hot or not is the best thing to debate ever.
    She is, but Jewel Staite is hotter.
    but only with the extra chub she had during the series

also, I'll be calling him detective helo from here on out.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ain Soph wrote: »
    She may be even hotter

Fun fake fact: The character received those scars from the time she was raped by a sadistic psycho. She was brought into the program on the promise they would help her forget that one memory and implant it with something less traumatic.

But seriously those scars kind of reminded me of a Harlequin baby picture I once saw. D:

Kagera on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They chose a lot of good actors that look just like robots.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So has it already been speculated that
    naked guy at the end is the dude she was dancing with at the beginning of the show? Because if not, thats was seems most likely to me right now

Sorry if I got off topic and talked about the actual show and not whether or not it will suceed or for how long.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh, from the overviews released it's pretty certain he's
    A former Active who has gone all crazy (obviously). He's likely to be the big bad for this season.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So has it already been speculated that
    naked guy at the end is the dude she was dancing with at the beginning of the show? Because if not, thats was seems most likely to me right now

Sorry if I got off topic and talked about the actual show and not whether or not it will suceed or for how long.

I'm not sure how that makes any sense as being the likely explanation. The investigation has been going on for ages, why would he hire her for three days for his birthday having never seen her before?

devoir on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This show wins worst theme song ever. God it's so annoying.

tofu on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While Eliza Dushku is stupid hot, I have to say I couldn't buy her at all in her role as negotiator.

I just don't see this show going very far, I really don't think she can be taken seriously in a wide variety of roles.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tofu wrote: »

That's what everyone said about Firefly. Now there's millions of geeks out there that can sing its theme song.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that during the theme song the only character you see is Echo. It's a bit of a break from Whedon tradition.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You...have EARNED this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPn-lTytfGo

Kagera on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh God I'd forgotten how bad that was

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like it.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

You...have EARNED this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPn-lTytfGo

Ok, that's just bad, but it doesn't make me want to cut my ears off like Dollhouse.

LA LA LA LA LA

LA LA LA LA LA DA

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't get all the complaints about Dushku's acting. She's not going to win an Emmy anytime soon but I thought she was more than adequate, and a lot better than I expected.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

You...have EARNED this.

Ok, that's just bad, but it doesn't make me want to cut my ears off like Dollhouse.

LA LA LA LA LA

LA LA LA LA LA DA

You are objectively WRONG.

In my subjective opinion.

Kagera on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I don't get all the complaints about Dushku's acting. She's not going to win an Emmy anytime soon but I thought she was more than adequate, and a lot better than I expected.

I'm sorry, but the woman looked like she was a 20-something playing dress up in her "negotiator" garb.

Which didn't help the fact that I keep expecting her to kick someone in the face.

And where were the damn quips? I demand quips, Whedon.

Seriously, the next episode had better feature copious quippery.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The heirarchy of shit theme songs:

Dollhouse<Enterprise<Firefly

As in holy SHIT Firefly's theme is vomit-inducing garbage.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would agree with that assessment.

tofu on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like that Whedon appears to be trying to stretch his writing to include something beyond "precocious bullshit at 75 mph" I wish the result was a little more satisfying, a little less boring and inert, but the attempt is nice to see.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't find the dollhouse theme that bad. I'm unlikely to download it and put it on my mp3 player but it's far from offensively bad.

Starcross on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like that Whedon appears to be trying to stretch his writing to include something beyond "precocious bullshit at 75 mph" I wish the result was a little more satisfying, a little less boring and inert, but the attempt is nice to see.

it was nice to see it lacked snappy whedon dialogue

maybe he's growing

Pony on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It lacked the snappy Whedon dialogue because the network basically stole the first few episodes from him and changed the writing. After that, it should become good.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are people who think Firefly's theme is bad?

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Icey wrote: »
    There are people who think Firefly's theme is bad?

That was my reaction.

It was endearing as hell.

OremLK on
This discussion has been closed.