As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    well it looks gorgeous, but man was that underwhelming.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    "Aww yeah this is building up here we go this is aweso-oh...it's over."

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, what a day! Nintendo's new thing is officially revealed and looks shit hot, and now we're super close to RDR2 reveal trailer. When's it supposed to drop?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Man, what a day! Nintendo's new thing is officially revealed and looks shit hot, and now we're super close to RDR2 reveal trailer. When's it supposed to drop?

2 minutes ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

edit: and yeah, way shorter than I expected.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    That was totally McCree, right? (Or maybe Ocelot?)

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I mean the visuals were going to be at least at PS4 GTAV level which means it was going to look amazing, but sheesh. . .that was LESS of a tease (I think) than the GTAIV teaser way back when (although it makes more sense).

Still I mean it's RDR, we know exactly what it is. My hope is that they do this the Bethesda way and don't completely spoil the majority of their game before release. I mean RS was good with the story beats of GTAV but I feel like you knew most of what the game had to offer you before you even picked it up.

I was also holding out hope that there would be a Read Dead Redemption Remaster or PC version so that I could finish playing the game, but I doubt that has any chance of happening.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Buh, that was lame. Well scoring trailers today mine go:
    1. Logan
    2. Nintendo Switch
    3. Red Dead 2

• Options
    Ha... way to not show anything, and still command "Pre-order now"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Looked pretty, as expected. Not much to work with otherwise.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm sure it'll be great, but... eh?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Ha... way to not show anything, and still command "Pre-order now"

They could literally show nothing and still get a tonne of pre-orders. All we really need to know is Rockstar is making another RDR game, no need to spoil anything.

• Options
    man Rockstar must be so fucking pissed at Nintendo right now, sweeping in at the last minute and stealing their thunder.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Red Dead Redeption, honestly, one of the most polished games ever.

Can't wait for the sequel (prequel?)

robbing trains is fun.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    man Rockstar must be so fucking pissed at Nintendo right now, sweeping in at the last minute and stealing their thunder.

I'd be relieved if I was Rockstar. The Switch reveal was excellent, and I'm sitting here thinking about that instead of how they started getting me excited since Saturday, only to drop this dud on me.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

it would freeze up and lock my character in the landscape constantly.

• Options

I'd be relieved if I was Rockstar. The Switch reveal was excellent, and I'm sitting here thinking about that instead of how they started getting me excited since Saturday, only to drop this dud on me.

true, but i imagine all they see is people talking about the Switch and not their trailer. they hyped it up because they thought it was worth the hype, when really they'd have gotten a better reaction from just dropping the trailer without the fanfare.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So, the locations in the trailer looked more like the Midwest/Mountain West than the desert southwest/mexico of RDR1. Leads me to believe that the leaked map was in fact real, since that's what the locations seemed to be.

Difficult to tell, but the tech level and aesthetics looked more like the late 1800s than the WWI/Edwardian era of the first game. But that's just my impression.

Not a lot of details, but eh. Looks like a beautiful game I'll be able to spend a lot of hours exploring. That's a big chunk of what I'm looking for in a game like this, so count me excited, at least.

EDIT: There's also a brief clip of some of those old-school wooden oil derricks a la There Will Be Blood. One of the locations on the map was an oil field. Could still be coincidence, but I'm starting to think it was legit.

Duffel on
  • Options

true, but i imagine all they see is people talking about the Switch and not their trailer. they hyped it up because they thought it was worth the hype, when really they'd have gotten a better reaction from just dropping the trailer without the fanfare.

Ah yeah, that's a good point.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

it would freeze up and lock my character in the landscape constantly.

It would have been more stable if it was held together with bubble gum and safety pins.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    It never did, but I always wanted that manimal glitch to happen in my game.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I am vastly more excited about Nintendo's new console than I am for RDR2 based entirely on the 2 videos I have seen today.

In no possible universe did I foresee this.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm kind of wondering how they'll do the map in the sequel. RDR was a pastiche of pretty much EVERY environment we'd consider western, from the swampy bits near Louisiana to the rocky wilderness of Wyoming.

*huff puff*

I HEARD SOMEONE WAS TALKING ABOUT WYOMING AND GOT HERE AS FAST AS I COULD YES HELLO

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Absolutely. Holy christ when the trailer ended (after having watched the SWITCH reveal) all I could think of was "This is what a brain farting sounds like. . ." It should have been: Red image (Friday), Image and Sun (Saturday), Image, Sun and posse (Sunday) and finally Trailer (Monday). No fanfare or "trailer reveal scheduled for this time." Even if NINTENDO hadn't dropped there this would have been seen as a (slight) disappointment.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Apparently Sony has initiated some form of currency based hat with this one, so we can wait and see how badly the Xbox set gets fucked.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Apparently Sony has initiated some form of currency based hat with this one, so we can wait and see how badly the Xbox set gets fucked.

PS4 just gets online earlier.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

Absolutely. Holy christ when the trailer ended (after having watched the SWITCH reveal) all I could think of was "This is what a brain farting sounds like. . ." It should have been: Red image (Friday), Image and Sun (Saturday), Image, Sun and posse (Sunday) and finally Trailer (Monday). No fanfare or "trailer reveal scheduled for this time." Even if NINTENDO hadn't dropped there this would have been seen as a (slight) disappointment.

I would be less annoyed if they would have used the word "teaser" instead of "trailer."

Actually, I'm not all that annoyed. I was momentarily a little grumpy after tuning into twitch to see a quick minute of footage with a smidgen of voiceover. What we saw looks pretty good! They just seemed to overpromise a bit when they used the word "trailer."

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

I would be less annoyed if they would have used the word "teaser" instead of "trailer."

Actually, I'm not all that annoyed. I was momentarily a little grumpy after tuning into twitch to see a quick minute of footage with a smidgen of voiceover. What we saw looks pretty good! They just seemed to overpromise a bit when they used the word "trailer."

yeah, that's why i said it was underwhelmed. what we saw wasn't bad, but it was certainly less than i was expecting based on the build up. the drip feed tease with a 2 day wait for the trailer, it just feels like we should have gotten more than we did.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, if they just gave us the trailer sans buildup we would have all been "yeah the video was short but HOLY SHIT RDR2"

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RDR1 is coming to PSNow apparently. So, there is a way for you PC folks to play it if you want.

• Options
    RDR1 is coming to PSNow apparently. So, there is a way for you PC folks to play it if you want.

as in Redemption? cause i know the added Revolver recently.

• Options
    Hah! Yes, Redemption 1.

• Options
    Rockstar really did not think through their naming convention on this one.

• Options
    Yeah, I keep forgetting Redemption 2 is actually the third game. I can't remember, other than Marston looking like the guy Revolver's box art, did Redemption 1 have any ties to Revolver?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So much angst about a trailer that literally doesn't matter because everyone in this thread will be buying RDR2 anyway, if they haven't pre-ordered it already.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    It's more like very mild disappointment. The "trailer" didn't tell us anything different than just posting the picture with Red Dead Redemption 2 coming Fall 2017 did. I'm still happy and excited, but the build up didn't pay off.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    At least it confirms the wild west theme is back again.

But... yeah. "Here's some pictures of grass". Not terribly compelling. This trailer is riding 100% on the laurels of the previous game. I can only imagine how utterly nothing this must be to somebody who never played it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    At least it confirms the wild west theme is back again.

But... yeah. "Here's some pictures of grass". Not terribly compelling. This trailer is riding 100% on the laurels of the previous game. I can only imagine how utterly nothing this must be to somebody who never played it.

because the silhouette pic was ambiguous on that front? :P

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Yeah, I keep forgetting Redemption 2 is actually the third game. I can't remember, other than Marston looking like the guy Revolver's box art, did Redemption 1 have any ties to Revolver?

In Redemption occasionally you'd come across travelers around camp fires. You'd have the option to sit a spell and listen in where it turned out that the stories being told were actually the plot of Revolver

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So much angst about a trailer that literally doesn't matter because everyone in this thread will be buying RDR2 anyway, if they haven't pre-ordered it already.

Not until there's a PC release for me! :(

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    That trailer showed us that this might be the best looking open world game of the generation.

No I don't.