As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - Mutant and Symbiote edition

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, Iceman's alt wasn't the worst of them by far.

I like Juggernaut's alternate costume, it is especially funny in conversation.

So many of them are just pathetic. Penance? Uh, so he's a...a guy. Wow. Right.

Thor's is....a slightly different Thor...just like Cap and Iron Man's. Neither of which actually look different enough to be cool. Cap's "Old" costume in MUA1 was actually pretty neat, not so this time around.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    -Jean Grey's alt costume is probably one of the few (if only) alts that I prefer to use over the original.
    -I like Wolverine's alt since it shows his face and those glorious mutton chops.
    -Luke Cage's alt is decent, if somewhat flamboyant-looking. I kind of prefer it a bit since it looks like a superhero outfit as oppose to his initial outfit.
    -Gambit's looks okay. I just prefer to use the original since I've always liked Gambit's costume design.

Blasphemy. The original Phoenix costume is the shit. Actually, I like her secondary. I just can't get past the green and gold.

Penance's alternate costume was not what I was expecting. Okay, so maybe it'd be unreasonable to ask for an old school Speedball, but, uh that? That oozing nightmare haunts my dreams.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    ZorodiusZorodius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    God I love this game. I seriously doubt that Diablo 3 will turn out to be as much fun as MUA 2. I can't wait for DLC.

I wish there was a harder difficulty than Legendary, though. Anyone else considering a one-character-challenge?

Zorodius on
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Doing an Anti run, I just beat the
    Bishop stage while keeping my robot buddy alive the whole time.
    I wasn't expecting the little cutscene. Nice.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Thor's is....a slightly different Thor...just like Cap and Iron Man's. Neither of which actually look different enough to be cool. Cap's "Old" costume in MUA1 was actually pretty neat, not so this time around.

Uh, Modern Thor and WW2 Cap both have awesome in spades. You're pretty silly.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

Uh, Modern Thor and WW2 Cap both have awesome in spades. You're pretty silly.

I would have much preferred Ultimate Thor if they wanted a more modern looking dude.

This WW2 Cap in MUA2 does not hold a candle to WW2 Cap from MUA1. I'm not saying the idea isn't good, I'm saying it looks like they changed a couple details and decided a half assed effort was good enough.

Ya know, like all the alternate costumes in MUA2.

Though despite that it's a better game by far.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll admit, I used Storm's alt costume since it reminded me of the cartoon (sorta), but hands up if you were expecting Spider-Man's alt. Anyone?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll admit, I used Storm's alt costume since it reminded me of the cartoon (sorta), but hands up if you were expecting Spider-Man's alt. Anyone?

I was hoping for the Iron Spider costume, but the one from MUA1 looked a lot better, IMO. Same deal with Cap's.

I'm just going to jump on the most-of-the-alt-costumes-suck bandwagon because, well, most of them do. At best, they're kind of boring (e.g. Jean Grey), at worse, they're downright offensive-looking (Penance, Deadpool) or based on ancient, patently uncool costumes (Iron Man).

The only ones I actually like are the Fantastic Four's.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh, call me old-fashioned, I was kinda hoping for Symbiote Spidey.

And I just discovered Deadpool's extra in the credits thanks to TV Tropes, that'll teach me to not skip video game credits (in my defence, the framerate kept stuttering, in the credits sequence.)

Still, this game was a lot of fun. I wanted to beat the crap out of dudes with various Marvel characters, and I wasn't let down.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So what was the deal about switching out characters near the dossier terminal and being able to converse with them? 'Cause I did it once with Wolverine, but I cannot recreate it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So what was the deal about switching out characters near the dossier terminal and being able to converse with them? 'Cause I did it once with Wolverine, but I cannot recreate it.

Pretty sure that just means that Wolverine would typically be standing there, ready to talk, if he wasn't on your team already. It doesn't have any bearing on the dossier terminal, that's just where Wolverine would spawn on that map.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh, most of the alt costumes really did nothing for me. THe only one I used was the Eddie Brock Venom because I prefer that look to the new Venom.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh man, does every character have after credit sound bits? A friend mentioned Deadpool will talk through the credits but towards the end of the Fury fight I needed some damage quick so switched to the Hulk...
    He's on a radio talk show and the host is expecting Bruce Banner....it's great.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Podunk wrote: »

Pretty sure that just means that Wolverine would typically be standing there, ready to talk, if he wasn't on your team already. It doesn't have any bearing on the dossier terminal, that's just where Wolverine would spawn on that map.

So it only works on the important heroes? 'Cause I could swear there was a tutorial message saying that if you swap out dudes they'll appear in your HQ.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone else notice their credits stuttering?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, when people said the final boss was lame they weren't kidding. In fact the whole third act of the game was pretty lame overall.
    They should have at least revealed Ultron or someone to be behind the nanobots.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone else notice their credits stuttering?

Yup, I wouldn't care so much but I skipped the credits and the Deadpool sequence was spoiled for me.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Podunk wrote: »

So it only works on the important heroes? 'Cause I could swear there was a tutorial message saying that if you swap out dudes they'll appear in your HQ.

Yeah, just important ones. I'm on my third playthrough now, and I rotate the entire roster through my team in bases to get all the unique conversations.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »

I was hoping for the Iron Spider costume, but the one from MUA1 looked a lot better, IMO. Same deal with Cap's.

What? The Iron Spider costume in MUA1 was a lazy reskin without the mechanical arms that ya know, define the costume. They actually went through the trouble of including and animating the arms to not look like shit in MUA2.

The Iron Spider in MUA2 is a vast improvement.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Man, when people said the final boss was lame they weren't kidding. In fact the whole third act of the game was pretty lame overall.

yeah, this part sucked. I actually liked the final boss fight (despite who it was against) just from a gameplay perspective, but otherwise, the finale was just bad. I was hoping they'd at least:
    make it a skrull plot or SOMETHING. There was enough skrull references that it wouldn't of been that out of place but meh....

(EDIT) I also shelved the game before I started playing on legendary. I got annoyed trying to get a gold medal in "breakout" which is the most retarded mission ever. A mine exploded a little too close to an escapee and instantly killed him ending me with a silver. Ugh.

aBlank on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    There is not a single bad character in the game
    Try playing through some of the later parts of legendary, when the mobs that knock back can literally kill you before you hit the ground.

Using someone like Iron Man, Iron Fist, or Thing compared to Storm, Jean Grey, or Invisible Woman is a night-and-day difference.

I would agree on Iron Man, but Iron Fist is pretty good, and Thing is actually broken. He still kills bosses in 5 hits with his charge attack, even on Legendary.

Is Jean Grey really that good? I tried her for awhile and while her attacks were neat looking, many of them had too much of a delay before they actually fired off and they still weren't as strong as Songbird's attacks.

RT + B on Jean Grey (and Invisible Woman) will paralyze every single target anywhere near you (except bosses). Jean also does very good ranged, single-target damage with her telekinetic grab ability. Her RT + Y skill is a button mashing one, if you haven't noticed, and it stuns everything around her while it deals damage and then knocks them all away. And then to cap it all off, she has that ridiculous area knockback ability that inflicts heavy damage, explodes all manner of crap on the screen, and sends mobs careening away from her.

Her guided fusions are just about the best thing for clearing a room, too, with the exception of Thor and Storm's, too (which are the same).

It's certainly arguable who the best character in the game is, but Jean makes the short list there.

I think ms marvel just dominates, her laser beam executes bosses with ease, she can fly and still use it, and her aoe attack can be slammed faster than any other I've used, and she's invulnerable while she does it. Energy immunity is a boost too!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, I got this on Wii over the weekend, and I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or that the AI seems to just like switching out my power binds for no particular reason. The one in particular I've noticed is that I assign Gambit's single target card attack to, for example, down. I switch off of Gambit for whatever reason, then switch back, and the AI has down now being his charge ability. Grrrr. Has anyone else had this problem? I looked for someway to possibly disable attacks, but I can't find it.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    (EDIT) I also shelved the game before I started playing on legendary. I got annoyed trying to get a gold medal in "breakout" which is the most retarded mission ever. A mine exploded a little too close to an escapee and instantly killed him ending me with a silver. Ugh.

I enjoy most of the simulation missions but that mission has the worst pathfinding I have ever seen in a game. I'll have dodged all the robots and made it back to the escape point only to find that the escapee is all the way back where I found them. This even happened when my escape route was a straight line.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh I hated that bullshit mission. Yes, what I want in my superhero game is a fucking stealth section.

*grumble grumble grumble*

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Baron Zemo. That is all that would be necessary to make the last portion fuckawesome.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Question for the comic book reading public, here...

SHIELD... well, according to the last game, SHIELD is some kind of UN Special Forces unit type thing. So how come they seem to be so very deeply involved with US politics and policy, rather than UN politics and policy?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SHIELD started as a US special ops kind of thing. It's just that Amurika (FUCK YEA!) is the only country worth a damn in the MU so it's effectively a world wide organization anyways...

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think that in the Ultimate universe SHIELD is a US government entity

In any case, SHIELD's partial mission is to regulate Superhuman threats... A civil war caused by Supers seems to fall in to that category. I suppose it can't hurt the fact that the US is probably the country that contributes more to their bank account.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Eh, most of the alt costumes really did nothing for me. The only one I used was the Eddie Brock Venom because I prefer that look to the new Venom.

Yea, a lot of the alternate costumes were "eh."

But I guess they wanted to mix it up with some of them?

Quick question for anyone who has cleared the boost achievement:
    Do you need both of Nick Fury's boosts (beat Cap and Iron Man) to get the 200 boosts, or are there more than 200 boosts out there. I'm doing my pro-reg play-through on Legendary and it feels like I'm going to be short on boosts by the end of the game... and as much as I like this game, playing Anti-Reg on Legendary just to drop cap just doesn't seem appealing.

OR! Do both faction stages unlock in Act III?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    While I was playing through my Legendary run (which is way easier than I thought it would be), one of the between-mission videos about the nanites shows a silhouette of a guy with some call-outs to various body parts. The call-out to the head was listed as TK-421. I chuckled.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Finished it on Normal yesterday, mainly via the medium of spamming Hulk's ground pound radial. Can't say I found the combat that engaging (or even deep for that matter), think I've been spoiled on superhero combat by Batman.
    Will do a legendary run I think, and try out some of the other characters - is co-op any fun?

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, you can dl Carnage I see.

Why does he sound like Godzilla?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now while he does look kind of cool, at the end of the day he's still just Carnage.

Also if any people are still interested in playing this co-op there's always open slots in the runs that me and a friend of mine are doing, so feel free to shoot me a friends request if you like since the more is pretty much always the merrier.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not a fan of Carnage, but he does look really fun to play.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    YerMum wrote: »
    Finished it on Normal yesterday, mainly via the medium of spamming Hulk's ground pound radial. Can't say I found the combat that engaging (or even deep for that matter), think I've been spoiled on superhero combat by Batman.
    Will do a legendary run I think, and try out some of the other characters - is co-op any fun?
    Co-op is the only fun. I play this with a few friends of mine, and we spend most of the time talking while occasionally paying attention for boss fights or cool fusions.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Finally finished my first run last night. It definitely seemed to get better as it went along. Or rather, the gameplay got better as the story got worse. It was pretty fun when starting over on Legendary to play with the original four (IM, Cap, Logan and Spidey), who I hadn't used since Latveria. Fully upgraded, Iron Man's charge move and Cap's shield bashing were pretty awesome.

Just like in MUA1 though, Ms. Marvel ended up being my favorite character and the only one I used on that play-through. Also just like MUA1, I can't seem to find anything fun to do with Venom. I always think maybe I'm missing something with him . . . Oh well. Time to start using the other 20+ characters.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

The DLC begins...the ultimate game of the century edition is gonna be so worth it by the time it comes out ;)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

The DLC begins...the ultimate game of the century edition is gonna be so worth it by the time it comes out ;)

I am so tempted to get this today at the Toys R Us buy 2, get 1 free sale, but then I think about how there will be an ultimate edition. What to do, what to do...

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Probably depends on how much money will be saved in the long run.

Also: From the official boards I've found out a few bits of news.

1) They're working on a patch to take care of the Auto-spend bug as well as to allow new playthroughs with all characters unlocked like in the original MUA. Oh, and to toss on Rumble to the PS3 version.

2) Apparently IGN posted the DLC would be coming out December 31st, but one of the developers explained that IGN puts default dates on these sort of things if they aren't given one. This is pretty mundane, but he specifically mentioned that it should be out sometime before December 31st. So it gives us somewhat of an idea of when the DLC will be out.

Nothing too big, but it's definitely nice to see the devs continuing to support the game and give out info to the comunity.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The Carnage DLC is out though, right? Or do they wait to unveil all the DLC characters to release the DLC?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png