Options

[WAR] This thread has seen the end of its slays.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
PATCH 1.2 IS OUT!
Older Servers are closing! Get the details here.
Fileplanet subscribers can get a 10-Day Trial free over here.
Addendum to above: if you are really interested in playing, request a trial from players. New bonuses give you boosted exp!
calltoarms_header.jpg

COMING SOON:
Mythic is releasing a “Live Expansion” that is basically a staggered release of new content. Here is the schedule as of now:
  • March: “Bitter Rivals” Live Event, followed by the release of the Slayer and Choppa classes. The event will give you a headstart on the new classes!
  • April: “Beyond the Sands” Live Event…detail TBA
  • May: “Rise of the Tomb Kings” Live Event. Fight for first dibs on the Tomb!
  • June: Nehekhara and its Darkness Falls-esque dungeon are released.

Lucky Cynic tells us why this new dungeon/zone is so awesome:
So you guys may be asking yourselves what is the big deal about the newly announced RvR dungeon. Well, look at it like this. Your typical dungeon has different wings right? But what if in addition to badass monsters who will wreck your shit up, you also had enemy players dicking around. It's high stakes, it's risky, and it is bloody awesome RvR, that's what it is. If there is anything awesome about DAoC's PvE, it was that it too had RvR rolled into it. Stay tuned for more awesome details. :D

Call to Arms Videos
Upcoming Stuff
-Zone Domination system: control everything long enough to get a zone.
-New mounts for guilds
-Extended influence bar in oRvR.
-Tome will have an RvR section to keep track of certain players.
-Multiple ramps for Keeps. Big changes for keep design.
-Guards will have a chance to drop set pieces.
-Players will be losing control over what City scenarios they can join. No more scenario stacking for you.

NEW PLAYERS:
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR) is a MMORPG from the folks at Mythic, creators of fine gamery such as Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC). WAR is focused on Realm vs. Realm, or RvR, design. Two realms (in this case Destruction and Order) try to beat the living shit out of each other while claiming everything for themselves. While PvE exists, this is a game where PvP is the centerpiece. From the start you can head out and start fighting the other side for control of the world, be it in the game world or sequestered in small, objective-minded scenarios. As they say: war is everywhere.

This all takes place in the Warhammer Fantasy universe, an ancient piece of geek culture that has aged like a fine wine. Recently celebrating it's 25th anniversary, Warhammer is a rich piece of work that takes the fantasy genre to dark, violent places. Humans are no better than the real-world Catholic Church of the Dark Ages, Elves have serious superiority complexes and Orcs treat war like a sport. What a great backdrop for a PvP-oriented game. Morskittar is a Warhammer guru of sorts, and has a good handle on how to get up-to-speed on all things Warhammer.

So, if you want to play this is a good time to start. Scroll down for information on free trials and get started in WAR.

FREE TRIALS:
Free trials are now available by invitations from current subscribers. Each subscriber has 3 invitations to offer every month and the trial lasts 7 days of free game play. If you choose to subscribe to WAR however, the person whom invited you gets a free 30 days! Definitely good to have. To request an invitation, just post in this thread that you want one. People whom want to give invitations, go ahead and PM the people whom post in the thread. I am currently out but will do my best to quench your bloodthirst! Do not just type out your email. That is just begging people to spam your inbox. Do something like rorusraz(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

UPDATE: soon there will be free trials available to anyone, w/o the use of invitations, although those will still probably work.

ARMIES:
Warhammer Online has two realms, each with three armies, and every army has four careers. While some careers are similar to each other in terms of mechanics, you're looking at 24 careers here. If you need help deciding, click on the army and read up on their careers. Each career has a Tank, Healer, Melee DPS and Ranged DPS career.

DESTRUCTION____________ORDER

greenskin_symbols.gifdwarf_symbols.gif
chaos_symbols.gifempire_symbols.gif
DE_symb_web_s.gifHE_symb_web_s.gif

GUILDS:
Penny-Arcade has guilds. A handful of them. Do a /who [guildname] to talk to these people and see if you can join in.

The first is The Six Mouths, playing on the server 'Red Eye Mountain' as Destruction.

Things have not been so hot on Red Eye, so some have rolled to Dark Crag. Still Destruction, but this is an open server, so make note of that. Instead of starting from scratch, PAers have gotten a bit of a hookup from contacts in established guilds. To join:
Point of Contact in Undead Lords to get tagged are:

Xers, Gitma, Terrox. They're probably anonymous so just try sending them a tell during the evening. I'm gonna get my guy tagged up to tag people as well so I can just idle and holler at me when you need one.

When contacting them, please reference yourself as T6M and a friend of Thero/Zophar.
Playing as Order on the server 'Badlands' The Candymancers.

Playing as Destruction on the European servers Obsidian Spur on the server 'Karak Eight Peaks'.in.

ADD-ONS:
Warhammer Online has very extensive Modding and UI support for those of you who are into that sort of thing. Even better, many of your favorite WoW addons have found their way into WAR with more being uploaded every day. Here are a few must haves.
Note: Having the Curse Client makes the install and uninstall process a whole lot easier but does require paying attention to basic instructions to set it up properly.
  • Curse's Main Website.
  • Libslash. A great client tool for modders, allows for complex commands and mods. WARNING: Many mods require this 'mod'. Just install it and that's all. It's all done behind the scenes.
  • Action Bar Color. Out of range spells and abilities get shaded red for easy recognition.
  • ReAction Bar Color. Same as above, but also colors reactive abilities (IE requiring a block) a tint of green when they are ready.
  • Killing Blow. Displays name of person you just killed and their RPs.
  • Focus. Set up 2 macro buttons on your hotbar. One makes your friendly target your /assist and the other refreshes their target. VERY excellent for RvR.
  • Victory Points. Adds a Victory Point counter to your UI instead of just eyeballing bars.
  • SNT Bar. Great UI toolbar. Kinda tricky to set up though.
  • No Movie Mod This removes every opening movie, including the logos. I, Accualt, declare this shall be in every OP ever from now on.
  • State of Realm Shows you a detailed look at Tier 4, and also includes the keep status of Tiers 2 and 3. Shows the Victory Points of all Tiers and will even display timers when local Battle Objectives are taken.
  • Aura Let’s you put up static images when certain effects are active…such as debuffs that damage you when you move.
  • PhantomAllows you to turn off UI elements that you normally aren't able to.
  • Warhammer Scrolling Combat Text From the makers of the WoW mod.
  • Waaaghbar Continue A strip that you can place at the top or bottom (or both) sides of your screen. Lists info like friends/guildmates online, money, level/rank progress and more. This is a continuation of the original, which had ceased work.
  • Squared A layout of boxes for your party/warband. Makes things a bit cleaner.
  • Auto Dismount Does what it says. Dismounts you when you use an action.
  • Item Rack Saves multiple gear outfits. Switch from dungeon to RvR in seconds.
  • BuffHead Shows icons of your buffs or debuffs above your target's head, complete with timer bar.

COMMUNITY:
The Warhammer community is FULL of fantastic resources. Digging around, let me share some of the best around. Bookmarking these is a great help. To really break your noobhood, these resources really do a hell of a job cramming in necessary info without being bloated or filled with crap. Study them religiously.

SUPPORT:
Mythic doesn't just throw you into an ocean and leave you to fend for yourself. Where's the WAR in doing something like that? Below are official Mythic Entertainment links.

SCREENSHOTS:
newwar1.jpg

newwar2.jpg

newwar3.jpg

newwar4.jpg

newwar5.jpg

newwar6.jpg

And a teaser banner for the coming locations fly through.
locationsbanner.jpg
This OP is the work of Lucky Cynic and probably others. It’ll be updated with new stuff, so check frequently.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brilliant.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    New threadage, hoooooooo

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So after watching that Choppa video, it looks like the 3 specs will be:
    Big Hitting
    Lots of Hitting
    Some Large Hitting (not actual spec name :P )

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If anyone wants to check the game out, I've still got 5 more friend referrals I can toss out, if you want one, PM me with your e-mail address.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    As far as I know, order does not outnumber destruction at all on DC. That's why I rolled order on the server, so I could get good queues, because I got pretty shitty queues in comparison on the destruction side.

Ain't this the truth. I have an easier time finding a scenario on DC during their off peak than I do during Ironclaw's primetime. Yay, Order!

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    I wish they'd allow another move, because REM is just disappointing me all the time now with Scenarios. I know this is somewhat my own fault, but I was queued for like 5 hours over two nights on anything that wasn't Serpent's Passage, and I had all of one pop. Fuck SP.

A duck! on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are a lot of PAers playing destruction on DC now?

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    tempted to roll destro on DC just to beat all y'all bitch faces in

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    tempted to roll destro on DC just to beat all y'all bitch faces in

doitdoitdoit.

Scenario queue times have been awesome for both sides apparently.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So guys I'm starting to lose my WoW addiction, is now a good time to jump in or what.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    if you like pvp more than pve, sure

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like it when people complain about no female Slayers.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So what is the (un)official PA faction on Dark Crag? I'm seeing players rolling both sides willy-nilly. Will someone please TELL us what the jebus we should go on DC?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    I'm telling you guys. Roll Destruction on Dark Crag. If you roll order you are doing nothing but making the population problem worse. Destruction has people to fight at every turn and its always a good time. If you're order you're just another name in the 8 warband zerg.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So with destro managing to get to altdorf on Badlands I eagerly logged in this morning, hoping to farm some Invader gear.

5 minutes later, and half an empty instance with nothing but order, altdorf switches back to no longer contested.

I am very saddened by this turn of events :(

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I'm telling you guys. Roll Destruction on Dark Crag. If you roll order you are doing nothing but making the population problem worse. Destruction has people to fight at every turn and its always a good time. If you're order you're just another name in the 8 warband zerg.

I sent you a PM yesterday, still no response. ~Cries~

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where is this "Choppa vid"?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Destruction outnumbers order on DC. What are you talking about? Tons of times I've seen DC have queues on destruction side with only medium on order. It usually evens out to high on order and queues on destro.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can we get a player list for DC or something? Sucks that some of you ninnies rolled order on DC.

Next time I play I shall create a Squig Herder on DC. Ranged DPS seems to be my thang in this game.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Where is this "Choppa vid"?
    Choppa Vid

Slayer Vid

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    REM sucked last night. People in the alliance put together some dungeon run or something, and that was it. 10-1:00 on a Saturday night and not a single T3 scenario. Honestly, I could care less about where I am or time spent on characters, as long as I have people to play with and people to kill. I'll be happy wherever we can reorganize PAers to play.

I'm going to try this REM thing tonight, but if scenarios aren't popping I see DC eclipsing it.

Here's what I see for Dark Crag so far:

Destruction
    Toefoo - Magus - Soultics
    Rorus Raz - Squig Herder - Errk
    Morskittar - Magus - Rylaht
    Robothero (inactive 'till Choppa)
    Morninglord (possible)
    Starmabrand (possible)

Order
    Blue Destiny (?)
    Zzulu - Ironbreaker - (alt)

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

Destruction outnumbers order on DC. What are you talking about? Tons of times I've seen DC have queues on destruction side with only medium on order. It usually evens out to high on order and queues on destro.

No they really dont.

http://warheap.com/guilds/search/page:1/server:173/sort:renown/direction:desc

Ruined, Rhuin and Ruinous are all one guild, and Feared Hate are basically the same guild. Between those two there are 1600+ characters. Ebonlore was also destruction and apparently rerolled, adding another warband to order.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    REM sucked last night. People in the alliance put together some dungeon run or something, and that was it. 10-1:00 on a Saturday night and not a single T3 scenario. Honestly, I could care less about where I am or time spent on characters, as long as I have people to play with and people to kill. I'll be happy wherever we can reorganize PAers to play.

I'm going to try this REM thing tonight, but if scenarios aren't popping I see DC eclipsing it.

Destruction
    Morninglord (possible)
    Starmabrand (possible)

Order
    Blue Destiny (?)

My DoK is Jevion. Rank 9 as of 2/6.

meeker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually Ebonlore appears to just be bugged (what a surprise) they are still destro

my account is reactivated by the way, so if you have a time planned for tomorrow Mors I'll log in to help with whatever

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Destruction
    Morninglord (possible)
    Starmabrand (possible)

Order
    Blue Destiny (?)

übergeek - DoK - Sarteck

EDIT Robot just responded and told me to play whatever I want. DoK it is for now.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Or today, because today is sunday. Heh.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So are we getting our own little guild together, or are we throwing in with the Undead Lords?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I say Mouths and Ally with the Undead Lords, if they'll have us.

Alternately, if this is a crew that really wants a lot of structure (more than one official, guild-centric night a week), trying to get in with the Lords might be a good idea.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Destruction
    Morninglord (possible)
    Starmabrand (possible)

Order
    Blue Destiny (?)

übergeek - DoK - Sarteck

EDIT Robot just responded and told me to play whatever I want. DoK it is for now.

chasehatesbears - Black Guard - Elzar

Curious to see how things will work out with guilds and whatnot.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just get me the specifics as to what you plan on doing, when you plan on doing it etc. and I'll get an answer for you.

We do guild events Sundays and Thursday nights, which are basically the "if you only have two days a week to play Warhammer, make it these days because we're gonna kick some ass" so those are obviously the best playing days.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just get me the specifics as to what you plan on doing, when you plan on doing it etc. and I'll get an answer for you.

We do guild events Sundays and Thursday nights, which are basically the "if you only have two days a week to play Warhammer, make it these days because we're gonna kick some ass" so those are obviously the best playing days.

Hey that's me!

My inclination is to look at an alliance (if you guys have space) first, but piggybacking on your hard-earned guild level seems nice too.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My GM said it is fine for you guys to tag, the only issue I would see is that we only have like 1 or 2 non 40s in the guild (and they are high 30s). It might be a good idea to form up a guild until you get 40, and then if you are interested in jumping over still then you can do that.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We also have our sub-40 tag which you could use as well, it has pretty good guild XP too :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Destruction
    Morninglord (possible)
    Starmabrand (possible)

Order
    Blue Destiny (?)

If we can get a real thing going on DC, I'll probably delete my IB to make a choppa 8-)

I doubt I'll play my IB again if the Choppa is decent enough.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I re-upped, first since the beta.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I now have a SH named Graboid on DC.

Let the killing commence!

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I rolled an engineer named overpoweredeng on dark crag since they are so much better than the magus right now despite being "mirrors". I do however think that the population on badlands is really pretty even. Very rarely is there a zerg from one side that takes out the other simply because of more numbers, and if it ever does happen usually more of the side that got taken out shows up to even it out.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    jma820jma820 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey, long time lurker...don't post often since i am usually at work and will die if they block this site.

anyway, after hooking up the candymancers with NY Comic Con codes, i have 8 left to give out. First 8 ppl to PM me will get them.

they do not work when you try to put them into your account, i'd say give it a few days after comic con.

edit: 4 left

edit 2: gone

jma820 on
    Signature
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He should have totally been "Overpowderedeng"

I am becoming more and more interested in resubscribing here. My friend is waiting for the slayer events/patch to hit. That will probably be my tipping point...

Will there be an event comparable to the Knight/Blackguard?

Corp.Shephard on
This discussion has been closed.