As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Madworld! NSF56k! NSF momma's boys!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whoa nice bounty.

I just watched the video with the people-kabob. Yes please.

The blood looks and moves so cool. I was watching the GoW trailer earlier today and I was thinking the blood just didn't look right. This blood looks right.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So is that a flyer that looks like the little sleeve paper thingy?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I actually didn't try it while I was there. Just got the free swag.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ah, okay. It's a fun game, and I'm going to grab it on release assuming I have the cash for it.

That said, the House of the Dead: Overkill shirt was way cooler than the MadWorld one. I hope you picked that one up as well.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Console exclusives happen, and it rarely has anything to do with what is or isn't possible on the hardware.

Well yeah, that's pretty obvious from the attempts of devs to cram games designed for the 360/PS3 on the Wii. It just seems odd to me that Sega hasn't said anything about making a deal with Nintendo about this being an exclusive title. Usually companies at least explain why they aren't going to bother porting something.

I'll certainly give this game a rent, but if the waggle components are anything less than perfect I'll probably just skip the game entirely. Having to flail around and vainly berate the controller for not recognizing my actions isn't quite my idea of "immersive". I vastly prefer an attack button which attacks every damn time I press it.

I can only hope that my pessimism is completely misplaced and the controls for this game are perfect. Because c'mon, triple-stacking a spear with impaled enemies? Very nice.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Console exclusives happen, and it rarely has anything to do with what is or isn't possible on the hardware.

Well yeah, that's pretty obvious from the attempts of devs to cram games designed for the 360/PS3 on the Wii. It just seems odd to me that Sega hasn't said anything about making a deal with Nintendo about this being an exclusive title. Usually companies at least explain why they aren't going to bother porting something.

I'll certainly give this game a rent, but if the waggle components are anything less than perfect I'll probably just skip the game entirely. Having to flail around and vainly berate the controller for not recognizing my actions isn't quite my idea of "immersive". I vastly prefer an attack button which attacks every damn time I press it.

I can only hope that my pessimism is completely misplaced and the controls for this game are perfect. Because c'mon, triple-stacking a spear with impaled enemies? Very nice.

Have you not paid attention to what the controls are? The A and B buttons both attack when pressed, but you guide your chainsaw attacks with the remote. You can also guide where you throw people via waggle. The controls are super intuitive, and you shouldn't have any problem with them.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn, seeing that IGN video got me even more excited to get my hands on this game.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmmmm, we needs some hype do we?

So the forum neogaf has a thread where people make fake magazine ads for games. A while back the theme was MadWorld.

Here are some pics mind you this is amateur work:
    madword4.png
    madword2.png
    madword5.jpg
    madword6.jpg
    Here is a link to the thread in question.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Why would you port a game that is built for a certain console?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Why would you port a game that is built for a certain console?

And even if the waggle controls were nothing more than replications of button presses, it wouldn't matter because this makes the game more tactile.

Djiem on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the life of me, i can hardly tell whats happening in those videos. EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME AAHH.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    For the life of me, i can hardly tell whats happening in those videos. EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME AAHH.

I don't really have that problem. I think there is plenty of distinction between Jack, his weapons, the opponents, their weapons, and the levels.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the game's incredibly clear, I think. I'm really impressed with what they've done graphically, especially when you consider there are issues with pure black and white in 3D which just don't apply to regular 3D design - they seem to have surmounted those on their first try. The whole thing looks awesome without any of the expected mess.

Seol on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was surprised at how fluid and pleasing it looked.

If anyone could do it, it's the folks behind Okami.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The developers mentioned how horribly difficult it was to make the game clear in black and white... without colors to differentiate things they had to be very careful with things.

Khavall on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obviously, if this runs on the Wii, it would have no problem running on a PS3 or 360. It looks like the controls are the standard unnecessary translation of perfectly functional normal console controls into aggravating Wii controls, so the Wii motion controls aren't a necessity. So really, what is the reasoning of this being a Wii exclusive? Does Sega simply enjoy limiting their chances at easy profits?

Why people think that it is their birthright to come Wii threads, and bitch how interesting game doesn't come to their favorite console? You need to accept that Wii has rights to its own exclusives, and there will be lot more of them in the future. And profits are good reason, as HD-consoles have been hostile to anything that SEGA has put out.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    Is it bad that Proops and DiMaggio are the main reasons I want this game?

Nope. Even if the game is mediocre, i'm expecting some good comedy from those two. Hell, I laughed at the exchange in the "Asiatown" video;

DiMaggio: "Uh oh, better put the kids to bed because you wouldn't want them to see this!"

Proops: "Uh, would you really have wanted them to see anything that's happened so far?"

DiMaggio: "Sure! Wouldn't want to raise a society of pussies!"

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Obviously, if this runs on the Wii, it would have no problem running on a PS3 or 360. It looks like the controls are the standard unnecessary translation of perfectly functional normal console controls into aggravating Wii controls, so the Wii motion controls aren't a necessity. So really, what is the reasoning of this being a Wii exclusive? Does Sega simply enjoy limiting their chances at easy profits?

Why people think that it is their birthright to come Wii threads, and bitch how interesting game doesn't come to their favorite console? You need to accept that Wii has rights to its own exclusives, and there will be lot more of them in the future. And profits are good reason, as HD-consoles have been hostile to anything that SEGA has put out.

While every Wii-exclusive game thread gets posts complaining about a lack of 360/PS3 version, every non-Wii game thread gets its share of "Don't see why this couldn't run on the Wii (and with better controls)" posts.

That being said, I have all 3 and think the Wii looks great upscaled, so I couldn't care less. This game looks fuck-awesome.

Dirty on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dirty wrote: »
    While every Wii-exclusive game thread gets posts complaining about a lack of 360/PS3 version, every non-Wii game thread gets its share of "Don't see why this couldn't run on the Wii (and with better controls)" posts.

But these posts don't sabotage threads on which I primarily visit. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually those posts don't happen anymore. They did a year or two ago but I haven't seen any for ages. If the Wii is mentioned in a non-Wii game thread it's in a broader way, i.e. "I wish developers would put forth this sort of effort on the Wii as well" rather than asking for that exact game. And I haven't even seen that very often.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dammit guys could we talk about the game instead of idiots ruining threads?
    We chose to go with “violence,” but with the challenging caveat that it also be entertaining. Violence that is so extreme it becomes comical. And to represent that vision, an edgy, non-realistic art style. These two concepts were key in developing MadWorld.

Here is an article from last week. Producer Atsushi Inaba talks in his IGN blog about the origins of the game a bit and violence as a theme.

I'm not sure how the game will be received. Sadly, I don't see it having a lot of mainstream appeal. I think it is probably too stylized and too violent to have a lot of reach into people who do not read game sites and whatnot.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A Ninja-Kabob definitely lands in the over the top gory but awesome category. I'd have to say some of that footage is the first to make me cringe and laugh at the same time.

stigweard on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game has caught my attention since day one purely because of the talent beind it.

Also, what idiot thought this was inpired by Gears of War? Go and watch Evil Dead 2.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy.... holy shit.

I mean, I've read about the game and thought I had a pretty good handle on what's going on, but I really wasn't prepared for the IGN video.

The blood tornado? The three-man ninja-kebob? "Spluuut?" Commentary by (essentially) Bender?

I'm usually not turned on by ultraviolence, but goddamn I must have this.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dirty wrote: »

Congratulations, you've found a thread I don't read. He isn't even asking for it on the Wii, he just says it's possible in the way that RE4 was possible. Outside of rare examples it still doesn't happen in "every non-Wii game thread," as you put it. It doesn't even happen in a third of them.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish I could be more excited for this game (considering its pedigree), but even with the stylistic black-and-white graphics, the game itself seem so incredibly generic.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sabotage? You guys really need to learn to tune out what you don't like. The only way it's sabotaging the thread is by making you feel bad about it, and strangely enough, this forum is not a feel happy session for you.
    You are not a child, deal with it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It happens more often than you think. It just tends to happen within the first couple of pages of a Wii game thread, so that's more noticeable. Though it does happen a lot less than it used to as people have accepted that there are just certain things you flat out will not see on the Wii, even with fewer polygons.

Dirty on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, it's more noticeable because people make a big deal out of something so trivial.

That article on the approach to violence is interesting, you can see how carefully they thought about it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish I could be more excited for this game (considering its pedigree), but even with the stylistic black-and-white graphics, the game itself seem so incredibly generic.
    I'm curious - what's generic to you? What makes this generic, and not something like, say, God of War of Ninja Gaiden? I know you didn't mention them, but they are in the same vein of what is essentially a 'beat 'em up'. Except here the hook is the ultraviolent, over the top killing. Unless you think those are 'generic' too.

I mean, this looks pretty damn unique to me, in all respects.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They got me with the announcement style. The whole gameshow element just threw the "yawn violence" cliche into a tailspin.

And then he shoved a signpost into a guys head then stood and watched as he wandered away and fell into the water.

That was when I knew I needed a Wii.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    I'm curious - what's generic to you? What makes this generic, and not something like, say, God of War of Ninja Gaiden? I know you didn't mention them, but they are in the same vein of what is essentially a 'beat 'em up'. Except here the hook is the ultraviolent, over the top killing. Unless you think those are 'generic' too.

I mean, this looks pretty damn unique to me, in all respects.

Well honestly I would say the same about God of War's visual style, but the set pieces and QTE-fueled gameplay at least mix it up a little bit. With all the videos I've seen of this, the gameplay looks like a standard 3D brawler with a pretty new coat of paint (if you think that looks pretty; I'm kind of tired of the whole black-and-white Sin City-inspired look). I speak in particular of the GDC 2008 trailer that I just watched a few minutes ago in the OP.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That sounds sexcellent since I would have loved God of War even more without QTE's.

I get what you mean though, I just don't treat the word generic as equating to bad.

Cliches are cliches because they work. ;)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm kind of tired of the whole black-and-white Sin City-inspired look.

what other games have done this? i can't think of any off the top of my head. i can see being tired of the aesthetic, but beyond frank millers comics/movies it hasnt really been used much that ive seen.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, God of War and Ninja Gaiden were super violent, but this has a kind of silly ultraviolence. I think that is really refreshing.

How can you be tired of games with black and white graphics? I don't think there has been a game made with black and white graphics in years. Certainly not a 3-d brawler.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I get the feeling the reason he's bored is something to do with his own experiences not anything the fault of the game.

That happens to me with WW2 games. I know it's not the games fault, I just find them uninteresting because I've been saturated with the time period in so many different mediums.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I didn't say "games with black-and-white graphics." I said the "black-and-white look," which encompasses more than games.

And yeah, I can't think of many more examples than Sin City/The Spirit, but when you hated the look to begin with it gets old fast.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I didn't say "games with black-and-white graphics." I said the "black-and-white look," which encompasses more than games.

And yeah, I can't think of many more examples than Sin City/The Spirit, but when you hated the look to begin with it gets old fast.

Man, it's a good thing you weren't born in the 1930s.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    presumably he means the super stylized frank miller b&w style that this game is aping so specifically, and not just b&w things in general.

Ah_Pook on