As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

• Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Samuel T. "Longshot" Anders (Pilot)
    2 Leadership, 1 Tactics, 2 Tactics/Piloting.
    Resistance Leader - Add 1 to all your attack rolls versus Centurions or Heavy Raiders.
    Professional Athlete - Once per game, you may take an additional action on your turn.
    Hears Mysterious Music - During the sleeper agent phase, discard 2 Skill Cards and move to Sickbay.
    Setup: Armory
    Like Hot Dog, Anders has a basic ability that is only useful as a human. Still, I'd argue the bonus versus Centurions is better than Hot Dog's bonus v. raiders, and his once per game will always be useful, but more so as a Cylon than as a human. Seems balanced to me, especially since he gets a midgame hit to counteract his Cylon strength.

Agreed, the double action can be used quite well by a Cylon so it seems like a nice balanced character.
    Billy Keikeiya (Politician)
    2 Politics, 2 Leadership, 1 Politics/Leadership
    Attache - At the end of your turn, you may choose a player in the same location as you. The chosen player may draw either 1 politics or leadership card. If the chosen player is the President, they may draw a Quorum card instead.
    Sacrifice - Once per game, if another player would be sent to Sickbay or the Brig, you may be moved there instead.
    Easily Lost - You may only move to a location if another character is already there.
    Setup: Administration
    Billy feels a bit overpowered. He is only useful in large games, but in those games he's giving an extra skill card or quorum card every turn. His sacrifice ability is again only going to be particularly useful in large games. How does that interact with the "You are a Cylon" sickbay effect? Would he take both the sickness and the discard, or just the sickness?

The second and third ability have been changed from their BGG counterpart. Billy needs to be able to betray the fleet somehow but I'm not sure how. Maybe let Sacrifice go both ways? For the Sickbay reveal, he'd go to the Sickbay but the original target would discard 5 cards.
    Helena Cain (Military Leader)
    2 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 1 Leadership/Tactics
    Inspires Loyalty - When a player chooses you with the Admiral's Quarters location, increase the difficulty by 3.
    Ruthless - Action: Once per game you may destroy a Civilian Ship on the board to gain 1 additional resource of your choice or to repair up to 2 damaged locations.
    Arrogant - If a player chooses you while playing Executive Order, you must both discard 1 skill card.
    Setup: Admira's Quarters
    No comment on Cain; she seems in line with the other top military leaders.
    She really doesn't seem to bring anything to the fleet besides for being hard to topple as the Admiral. Maybe the opposite of Tigh, she can raise ALL Admiral's Quarters check by 3. There is precedence for covering for her officers in the show.
    Cally Henderson (Support)
    1 Tactics, 3 Engineering, 1 Politics/Leadership
    Team Player - If you play a Scientific Research skill card before a Skill Check, add 2 to the positive result of that Skill Check.
    Vengeful - Action: Once per game, you may move a character from any location (including the Brig) to Sickbay.
    Speaks Her Mind - During Skill Checks for the Administration, Admiral's Quarters, and Brig location, you must play your cards face up.
    Setup - Hangar Deck
    Callie's "drawback" will usually be a boon, giving the humans a partial Investigative Report on those checks.
    This was taken straight from BGG. I agree the disadvantage doesn't seem quite right. Maybe take some inspiration from their stay on Kobol? If Centurions are on board Galactica, Cally skips her actions on her turn?
    Major "Doc" Cottle (Support)
    1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 3 Engineering
    Medical Officer - Action: Discard a Repair skill card to move any character from Sickbay to a location of your choosing on Galactica.
    Moral Dilemma - Action: Once per game, you may spend 1 Food or Morale to increase Population by 1.
    I'm a Doctor, Damn It - You must discard 1 Skill Card to activate any location besides the Research Lab.
    Setup - Research Lab
    No comments on Doc; seems like a solid support character.
    Changed the Once Per Game and Disability from the BGG original. The Once Per Game can situationally be used to betray the fleet.
    Anastasia "Dee" Dualla (Support)
    1 Leadership, 3 Tactics, 1 Engineering
    Trusted - You do not receive an additional Loyalty Card during the Sleeper Agent phase. (Reduce the number of You Are Not a Cylon cards by 1 during setup.
    Communications Expert - Action: Once per game, you may look at the back of up to six civilian ships on the gameboard. You may then move them to adjacent areas.
    Bridge Officer - You must discard 1 Skill Card to activate any location other than Command, Weapons Control, FTL Control, or Communications.
    Setup - Communications
    Dee is interesting; she'll usually be the safest choice for President and Admiral, since she only gets a single Loyalty card. But she's also the second-least effective choice for President. Additionally, can her once-per-game be used while the Jammed Assault crisis is in play (communications cannot be activated)? I would say no, for the same reason that Baltar's cannot be used if the Detector Sabotage crisis fails. You could make that explicit by requiring her to activate communications to use her ability, but that seems a bit much, since Apollo doesn't have to be in Command for his.

DevoutlyApathetic's favorite character here (mechanics wise :lol:). I'd say Communications Expert could be used under a Jammed Assault. There is such a thing as ECCM. On the off chance that she is a Cylon, she could definately do some damage by sending the civilian ships right into harm's way.
    Felix Gaeta (Support)
    1 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 2 Politics/Engineering
    Scientific Training - On your turn, if you activate the Research Lab location, you may draw an additional Engineering or Tactics card.
    FTL Expert - Action: Once per game, you may move the fleet 1 space in either direction on the Jump Preparation track. If you are in the FTL Control location, you may then activate that location.
    Self Preservation - If a crisis offers you a choice, you may not choose an option that places you in the Sickbay or Brig locations.
    Setup - FTL Control
    Gaeta will likely be pressured by the humans to use his ability early, pre-sleeper phase, just because it would become too powerful in the hands of a cylon later.

Doesn't sound like people I know. They'd want to save it until a rainy day to use his "then activate FTL". Might consider tacking on a "and if population is at risk, you may select whether to pass or fail the check."
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Pilot)
    1 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 2 Piloting
    Brash - When you launch yourself in a Viper, you may take two additional actions instead of one.
    Determined - Once per game, you may change the result of any roll on your turn to an 8. You may do this after you have rolled.
    Stim Junkie - When a Viper being piloted by Kat is returned to the Reserves, roll a die. On a roll of 3 or less, the Viper is damaged.
    Setup - Hangar Deck
    Kat is a fine pilot, in line with Apollo and Starbuck's abilities.

Brash, like Ander's once per game, can be used to set up something extra complicated as a Cylon.
    Kendra Shaw (Military Leader)
    2 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 1 Engineering
    Efficient Officer - If another player chooses you for an Executive Order, you may move and take 2 actions.
    Desperate Measures - Action: Once per game, you may make an attack roll against a Basestar using the nuke attack chart. Then immediately move to Sickbay.
    Razor - If you have a choice to make on a Crisis, the Admiral makes the choice for you. If you are the Admiral, the President makes the choice.
    Setup - Command
    Kendra feels a bit over-powered, but only as a human. Her extra nuke attack will be useful in almost any game, particularly since she is the most attractive XO target on the board. But as a Cylon, there is NO way to get a benefit from that ability. She's a better engineer than Chief, but for everyone else's turn rather than her own (when XOd: move, repair, take another action). Her drawback powers up the Admiral/President roles slightly, without doing much else. This character just feels like she needs a bit of work; I don't feel she's properly balanced at the moment.
    Hmm, might be more balanced if Desperate Measures drew damage tokens for Galactica?
    Tory Foster (Political Leader)
    3 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Tactics
    Political Experience - During your Receive Skills setp, you may choose to draw 1 Quorum Card instead of 2 politics cards. Quorum Cards in your hand may be given to the President at any time, but you may only play them if you have the President title.
    Backup Plan for Victory - Once per game, after the Administration location has been activated and the Skill Check resolved, you may change the result to either a Pass or Fail.
    Conflicted - Discard 2 skill cards every time someone is sent to the Brig or reveals themselves as a Cylon.
    Setup - Press Room
    Tory; I know how much Valkun loves the Quorum cards, and she's another one that powers up the presidency by helping gain quorum cards. She can also claim the presidency for free once per game by activating Administration on herself, or keep it once for free by auto-failing a winning opponent. Once she does so, she can trade two politics cards each turn for an extra quorum draw, then can choose to use the power of the presidency to either draw another or play one from her hand. She can simulate Roslin in the President's office, but she can do it from the Brig. An extremely powerful president, even as a Brigged and known Cylon.

I'm not sure where you get that from. Billy and Tory's Quorum drawing are straight out of the BGG add on. I'm going to say she's slightly worse than Roslin because she doesn't get to look at the cards she's "discarding".
    Brendan "Hot Dog" Costanza (Pilot)
    2 Piloting, 2 Tactics, 1 Leadership
    Fearless - +1 on your Attack Rolls versus Raiders and Heavy Raiders.
    Stick Together - Once per game, before it attacks, you may change the target of a Raider to any Viper on the board and it gets +2 on the Attack Roll.
    Reckless - +1 on Attack Rolls whenever Raiders attack you.
    Setup - Viper at 11 O'Clock.
    Hot Dog; standard ability is only useful as a human and while dogfighting. Special can be useful as a Cylon, but extremely situational, and his drawback makes him less effective in the air defensively than any other pilot. I can't see where he's a better choice than Starbuck or Apollo for any situation.
    Agreed, I was trying to go for a more offensively oriented pilot but I don't think it's quite balanced yet. Maybe replace the disability with "You do not receive a -2 to attack rolls after an Evasive Maneuver is played on you." The Once Per Game definately needs to be reworked.
    Diana "Hardball" Seelix (Pilot)
    2 Piloting, 1 Tactics/Leadership, 2 Engineering
    Avionics Expert - Whenever a Viper is damaged or destroyed, you may roll a die. If six or greater, it is instead put into the reserves.
    Natural Pilot - Action: Once per game, draw Piloting Skill Cards until you have ten Skill Cards.
    Cylon Hatred - Whenever a Cylon reveals, pick another character to move to Sickbay.
    Setup - Hangar Deck
    Hardball; a strong pilot, and probably the best cylon character available. Fill up a hand with piloting cards and you can definitely force at least one skill check failure, maybe more, and whenever your friend reveals, you get to send someone else to sickbay.
    The Disadvantage probably needs to be looked at, since it's a disadvantage for the fleet and not herself.
    Brother Cavil (Politician)
    1 Politics, 3 Leadership, 1 Tactics
    Confidant - Whenever a card is placed on the bottom of the Crisis or Destination deck, you may look at it.
    Blackmail - Action: Once per game, move the bottom card of the Crisis or Destination deck to the top.
    Sadistic - If a Crisis choice might place a character in the Brig or Sickbay, you must choose that option.
    Setup - Admiral's Quarters
    Brother Cavil; I wouldn't allow this one in my game. Secret information is supposed to be secret, and knowing exactly what the other people are putting away (Roslin, Boomer, the Admiral, any scouting attempt) just nullifies unrevealed Cylons too much. Overpowered, and the down-side isn't high enough to override this.
    I'd say it's not that bad because you're taking up an entire character slot just to look at those cards. And he still can't reveal them to anyone else, per the secrecy rules. Maybe require a discard to look at those choices?
    D'anna Biers (Politician)
    2 Politics, 2 Tactics, 1 Leadership
    Interview - Action: Look at any other player's hand of Skill or Quorum Cards.
    Investigative Reporter - Action: Once per game, look at the top four cards of the Crisis deck and put them back in the order of your choice.
    Yellow Journalism - Whenever a skill check is failed, you must discard 1 card.
    Setup - Press Room
    Similarly, D'Anna Biers gives too much information into what other players are doing; spend enough XO's on her and she's a permanent investigative committee. Limit her ability to target characters in the same location, and I'd consider allowing her. As is, she seems overpowered to me.
    Agreed, interview should require that D'anna be in the same location. It makes sense anyways.
    Ellen Tigh (Support)
    1 Politics, 1 Leadership
    Resourceful - During your Receive Skills step, draw any 3 Skill cards. They may come from outside your skill set.
    Ambitious Support - Action: Once per game, pick another character. They may use their once per game ability an additional time.
    Addiction - Whenever you must discard cards, discard an additional one at random.
    Setup - Research Lab
    Ellen looks playable in any group at any number, not too powerful but not too weak. She's a perfect support, able to be whatever (non-pilot) the group needs, and flexible enough to hide well as a Cylon.
    Yeah, just need to add a note on what she can draw at the start of the game, since she obviously can't draw 3 cards from her skillset.
    Romo Lampkin (Support)
    Legal Scholar - You may choose to reduce the difficulty of any skill check with Politics by 1.
    Defense Lawyer - Action: Once per game, move a character from the Brig to a location of your choice.
    Unethical - Whenever a player is placed in the Brig, you are moved to Sickbay if you are not in the Brig.
    Setup - Press Room
    Romo's basic ability feels too human-sided to me. Basically, he has to always do it (except for Administration/Brig activations), or else he's outed himself as a Cylon. Change it to "reduce or increase", and now he can apply it offensively as a Cylon, or he can use it as a human to help keep known/suspected Cylons in the Brig. Might become too powerful then, though. I'd have to think about him a bit more.
    That probably wouldn't hurt. The Defense Lawyer can be used to spring a suspected unrevealed cylon. Most of these were designed with 6-10 players in mind.
    Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson (Military Leader)
    1 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 1 Piloting, 1 Engineering
    Raptor Pilot - When you use a Launch Scout, you may look at the top card of both the Destination and Crisis decks and you may place one or both on the bottom.
    Suicide Mission - Action: Once per game, destroy a Raptor to remove a Basestar from play.
    Vindictive - Whenever the Brig location is activated, roll a die. Randomly select that many cards from your hand to contribute instead of your normal contribution.
    Setup - Hangar Deck
    Racetrack looks interesting; effective as both a Cylon or a human, but needs raptors in order to function. Can she use her suicide mission if there are no raptors available? Also, should Vindictive apply to more than just Brig activations, maybe the Admiral's Quarters as well? How do you decide how many cards she will be adding, if she is not in the Brig herself? That drawback doesn't seem well-defined to me.
    No, she needs a Raptor and Basestar to perform it. That's mainly for when people are trying to get out of the Brig. If she, herself, is trying to get out of the brig, I'd just draw one card at random from her hand to contribute.
    Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo (Military Leader)
    2 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 1 Piloting/Tactics
    Raptor ECO - When you use Launch Scout, you may look at the top two cards of the Destination or Crisis deck to put on the bottom instead of one.
    Controlling - Action: Once per game, you may control another character as if an Executive Order had just been played on them. You may use Skill Cards from your hand on these actions. You may not use their Once Per Game ability.
    By the Books - Whenever you have a Crisis choice that has a skill check for an option, it must be chosen.
    Setup - Weapons Control
    Crashdown is interesting as well; again effective as both a Cylon or a human, though arguably less effective as a Cylon since he will be found out fairly quickly if he stacks a deck with all bad choices. His once per game allows a single "safe" XO of a suspected Cylon character after sleeper phase, but it's even better as a Cylon: when someone else XOs him, he can first take two actions (or a move and an action, putting them out of position) with another character, then still reveal himself. Note: if the Controlling action would result in drawing cards, who gets the cards? If he controls a president into activating their office, can he look at the Quorum card that is drawn? Can he play any card from the Quorum hand? This ability doesn't seem well-defined to me.
    The controlled character would draw and discard cards and Quorum cards, Crashdown would not get to see them. He does not have access to the Quorum hand. Basically you can use cards from your hand, location activations, or their main character ability.

Valkun on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, I think I need to go to MegaCon over here to get my character card for Baltar and "You are a Cylon" card for Six signed. Richard Hatch won't be there like he was supposed to be, though :(

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Valkun wrote: »
    Billy Keikeiya (Politician)
    2 Politics, 2 Leadership, 1 Politics/Leadership
    Attache - At the end of your turn, you may choose a player in the same location as you. The chosen player may draw either 1 politics or leadership card. If the chosen player is the President, they may draw a Quorum card instead.
    Sacrifice - Once per game, if another player would be sent to Sickbay or the Brig, you may be moved there instead.
    Easily Lost - You may only move to a location if another character is already there.
    Setup: Administration
    Billy feels a bit overpowered. He is only useful in large games, but in those games he's giving an extra skill card or quorum card every turn. His sacrifice ability is again only going to be particularly useful in large games. How does that interact with the "You are a Cylon" sickbay effect? Would he take both the sickness and the discard, or just the sickness?

The second and third ability have been changed from their BGG counterpart. Billy needs to be able to betray the fleet somehow but I'm not sure how. Maybe let Sacrifice go both ways? For the Sickbay reveal, he'd go to the Sickbay but the original target would discard 5 cards.

You could let him, once per game, choose who goes to the Brig or Sickbay when a character would be sent there by a crisis (not a skill check or Cylon ability). That means he could choose to sacrifice himself, but opens up other possibilities as well.

Helena Cain (Military Leader)
    2 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 1 Leadership/Tactics
    Inspires Loyalty - When a player chooses you with the Admiral's Quarters location, increase the difficulty by 3.
    Ruthless - Action: Once per game you may destroy a Civilian Ship on the board to gain 1 additional resource of your choice or to repair up to 2 damaged locations.
    Arrogant - If a player chooses you while playing Executive Order, you must both discard 1 skill card.
    Setup: Admira's Quarters
    No comment on Cain; she seems in line with the other top military leaders.
    She really doesn't seem to bring anything to the fleet besides for being hard to topple as the Admiral. Maybe the opposite of Tigh, she can raise ALL Admiral's Quarters check by 3. There is precedence for covering for her officers in the show.
    Does that get too close to stepping on Tigh's ability, though?
    Cally Henderson (Support)
    1 Tactics, 3 Engineering, 1 Politics/Leadership
    Team Player - If you play a Scientific Research skill card before a Skill Check, add 2 to the positive result of that Skill Check.
    Vengeful - Action: Once per game, you may move a character from any location (including the Brig) to Sickbay.
    Speaks Her Mind - During Skill Checks for the Administration, Admiral's Quarters, and Brig location, you must play your cards face up.
    Setup - Hangar Deck
    Callie's "drawback" will usually be a boon, giving the humans a partial Investigative Report on those checks.
    This was taken straight from BGG. I agree the disadvantage doesn't seem quite right. Maybe take some inspiration from their stay on Kobol? If Centurions are on board Galactica, Cally skips her actions on her turn?
    Feels like too much of a drawback; maybe she just cannot activate any locations while centurions are on board (hiding someplace)?

Felix Gaeta (Support)
    1 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 2 Politics/Engineering
    Scientific Training - On your turn, if you activate the Research Lab location, you may draw an additional Engineering or Tactics card.
    FTL Expert - Action: Once per game, you may move the fleet 1 space in either direction on the Jump Preparation track. If you are in the FTL Control location, you may then activate that location.
    Self Preservation - If a crisis offers you a choice, you may not choose an option that places you in the Sickbay or Brig locations.
    Setup - FTL Control
    Gaeta will likely be pressured by the humans to use his ability early, pre-sleeper phase, just because it would become too powerful in the hands of a cylon later.

Doesn't sound like people I know. They'd want to save it until a rainy day to use his "then activate FTL". Might consider tacking on a "and if population is at risk, you may select whether to pass or fail the check."
    With that extra, he becomes much more interesting. Does that give him too much flexibility, though? (Raise or lower, fail or pass.)

Kendra Shaw (Military Leader)
    2 Leadership, 2 Tactics, 1 Engineering
    Efficient Officer - If another player chooses you for an Executive Order, you may move and take 2 actions.
    Desperate Measures - Action: Once per game, you may make an attack roll against a Basestar using the nuke attack chart. Then immediately move to Sickbay.
    Razor - If you have a choice to make on a Crisis, the Admiral makes the choice for you. If you are the Admiral, the President makes the choice.
    Setup - Command
    Kendra feels a bit over-powered, but only as a human. Her extra nuke attack will be useful in almost any game, particularly since she is the most attractive XO target on the board. But as a Cylon, there is NO way to get a benefit from that ability. She's a better engineer than Chief, but for everyone else's turn rather than her own (when XOd: move, repair, take another action). Her drawback powers up the Admiral/President roles slightly, without doing much else. This character just feels like she needs a bit of work; I don't feel she's properly balanced at the moment.
    Hmm, might be more balanced if Desperate Measures drew damage tokens for Galactica?
    Send her to sickbay and draw 2 damage tokens, choose one to resolve. (Or just draw a damage token.) I like that. Let's Galactica swing into position to do heavy damage to a basestar, but it gets in a hit as well.
    Tory Foster (Political Leader)
    Political Experience - During your Receive Skills setp, you may choose to draw 1 Quorum Card instead of 2 politics cards. Quorum Cards in your hand may be given to the President at any time, but you may only play them if you have the President title.
    Backup Plan for Victory - Once per game, after the Administration location has been activated and the Skill Check resolved, you may change the result to either a Pass or Fail.
    Conflicted - Discard 2 skill cards every time someone is sent to the Brig or reveals themselves as a Cylon.
    Setup - Press Room
    Tory; I know how much Valkun loves the Quorum cards, and she's another one that powers up the presidency by helping gain quorum cards. She can also claim the presidency for free once per game by activating Administration on herself, or keep it once for free by auto-failing a winning opponent. Once she does so, she can trade two politics cards each turn for an extra quorum draw, then can choose to use the power of the presidency to either draw another or play one from her hand. She can simulate Roslin in the President's office, but she can do it from the Brig. An extremely powerful president, even as a Brigged and known Cylon.

I'm not sure where you get that from. Billy and Tory's Quorum drawing are straight out of the BGG add on. I'm going to say she's slightly worse than Roslin because she doesn't get to look at the cards she's "discarding".
    I get that from reading through the IRC log of Rend's game and watching you play in my game. You like Quorum cards :P.

Brother Cavil (Politician)
    1 Politics, 3 Leadership, 1 Tactics
    Confidant - Whenever a card is placed on the bottom of the Crisis or Destination deck, you may look at it.
    Blackmail - Action: Once per game, move the bottom card of the Crisis or Destination deck to the top.
    Sadistic - If a Crisis choice might place a character in the Brig or Sickbay, you must choose that option.
    Setup - Admiral's Quarters
    Brother Cavil; I wouldn't allow this one in my game. Secret information is supposed to be secret, and knowing exactly what the other people are putting away (Roslin, Boomer, the Admiral, any scouting attempt) just nullifies unrevealed Cylons too much. Overpowered, and the down-side isn't high enough to override this.
    I'd say it's not that bad because you're taking up an entire character slot just to look at those cards. And he still can't reveal them to anyone else, per the secrecy rules. Maybe require a discard to look at those choices?
    Require an action and a discard, and I think I could allow it. He cannot reveal them, but he can say that their choice makes it look like they are a Cylon.

Darian on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In my opinion, Dee only getting 1 loyalty card is horrendously overpowered. It's simply too unlikely she'll be a cylon, and having someone you can trust that close to explicitly is not in the spirit of the game.

Rend on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    In my opinion, Dee only getting 1 loyalty card is horrendously overpowered. It's simply too unlikely she'll be a cylon, and having someone you can trust that close to explicitly is not in the spirit of the game.

In larger games it should be okay. Revealed cylons can always pass her an unused loyalty card to muddy the waters a bit.

That said, not getting a loyalty card at all during the sleeper phase is a pretty big deal.

You could amend it to do funky things like: "When loyalty cards are being distributed during the sleeper phase, you may choose to discard all skill cards to give the loyalty card- without looking at it- to another player who is not a revealed cylon."

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    El Skid wrote: »

In larger games it should be okay. Revealed cylons can always pass her an unused loyalty card to muddy the waters a bit.

That said, not getting a loyalty card at all during the sleeper phase is a pretty big deal.

You could amend it to do funky things like: "When loyalty cards are being distributed during the sleeper phase, you may choose to discard all skill cards to give the loyalty card- without looking at it- to another player who is not a revealed cylon."

Even still, think of it this way.

Any president can tell if she's a cylon, for the whole game, at any time, barring the Resurrection Ship card-pass. Which happens all the time. If you look at her loyalty card, you have a 100% chance of determining her loyalty, even in the sleeper phase, when trust is supposed to go out the window.

Also, she has no chance to be the sympathizer.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, I think I need to go to MegaCon over here to get my character card for Baltar and "You are a Cylon" card for Six signed. Richard Hatch won't be there like he was supposed to be, though :(

That sounds fun; hope the lines don't end up being too insane.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Even still, think of it this way.

Any president can tell if she's a cylon, for the whole game, at any time, barring the Resurrection Ship card-pass. Which happens all the time. If you look at her loyalty card, you have a 100% chance of determining her loyalty, even in the sleeper phase, when trust is supposed to go out the window.

Also, she has no chance to be the sympathizer.

Meh. It really is hard to figure out stuff relating to not getting loyalty cards.

The fun would start when the player looking at her loyalty card was also a cylon. That person you trust implicitly and probably give the presidency and/or the admiralty to? Yeah, she's out to get you.

El Skid on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So is there we sign up for future games? I'm on the forums a decent amount, and I have yet to see a game thread go up that wasn't already full up before I saw the thread had been created.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maybe we need to talk to Thanatos and make a BSG signup list, similar to the Phalla signup list?

I'd advocate doing the signup list for new BSG games, having a maximum number of games running at any one time, and letting the host decide who will play based on whatever criteria they want (only their friends, first-come-first-serve, or whatever).

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We don't have a system in place for that, yet. I recruited for my first game in the board game thread, then for my second game took the alternates from the first game plus people who had PMed me asking me to hold them a slot.

I think my next game (which will not be for a few weeks, mind you) I'll only take people who haven't played in one of these yet. Most likely that will be another "No Sympathizer" six player game, with at least some of the expanded set of characters available for the players.

edit: Thanatos has said that there is no limit on BSG games, much like there is no limit on PbP games for DnD and other systems.

Darian on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sticks wrote: »
    So is there we sign up for future games? I'm on the forums a decent amount, and I have yet to see a game thread go up that wasn't already full up before I saw the thread had been created.

QFT.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maybe we need to talk to Thanatos and make a BSG signup list, similar to the Phalla signup list?

I'd advocate doing the signup list for new BSG games, having a maximum number of games running at any one time, and letting the host decide who will play based on whatever criteria they want (only their friends, first-come-first-serve, or whatever).

This would suggest not to have a list. Also, didn't Than say before that we could pretty much run all the games we wanted, as long as he got to play in one? (Which I'm sure was a half-joke. But hey, perks, right? :p)

I mean, I seriously doubt that we're going to defy any and all discretion and have like 10 games going on here at once, but, look at the forum. Almost the entirety of CF is ongoing PbP games from various systems. 24 out of the 35 threads on front page are PbP game/recruit threads. I'm pretty sure an excessive number of PbP games isn't exactly against mission statement.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This looks like the next game to start, assuming HB still has the time to run it. If not, I can run with this crew after my current game finishes up (assuming none of them are playing in Hippie's instead).
    manaleak34
    Nosaji
    Plutonium
    cj iwakura
    Maximus
    Kethas

just 'cause you've already been in a game or two, DevAp. (I think. I'm a little ill right now and not thinking clearly. :P)

I might need someone in reserve though, since one of the players is still a bit iffy about if they're joining.

We won't be going until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway, for a bit of breathing room.

Darian on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll run one, after I finish the one I've got going on another forum. I'm playing with the idea of using only the "extra" characters or something like that; what do you guys think, any wacky rule-sets you've been wanting to try?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I really like the old character list much better than some of the new characters. I mean some of the new abilities are col and all, but I mean just like in terms of how much I actually like/dislike the characters.

Characters I don't rememeber who the hell they are
    Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson
    Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo

Characters I like
    Samuel T. "Longshot" Anders
    Cally Henderson
    Major "Doc" Cottle
    Kendra Shaw ( I mean shes okay... but I wouldn't want to play her over any of the other military leaders except Helena Cain)
    Diana "Hardball" Seelix
    Brother Cavil
    D'anna Biers (of course :-))
    Romo Lampkin (best lawyer ever)

Characters I don't like
    Billy Keikeiya (he is a fucking patsy)
    Helena Cain (are you kidding me? she is the most UNLIKEABLE character in the show)
    Anastasia "Dee" Dualla
    Felix Gaeta
    I still don't really wanna spoil much, but again a very unlikeable character
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (she's a bitch)
    Tory Foster (I hate her character SO much)
    Brendan "Hot Dog" Costanza (seriously could this guy frown any more?)
    Ellen Tigh (Ewwwwwwwwwwww)

I would never play any of the characters listed under ones I don't remember or ones I hate. I like every character in the original list of playable characters, whereas I hate more than half of the alternate list. I don't care how good there abilities are, I just hate some of those characters too much.

I mean sure it would be fun to play a game using only those characters, but could you really envision a BSG scenario were you don't want to include any of the awesome characters from the original set?

Just my 2 cents :-)

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Granted. But you like Tom Zarek? Seriously? How can you
    hate Felix Gaeta but like Tom Zarek?

After the last season wraps up, I have an idea in mind to construct a 4-round game, using different characters and objective cards for each round, to mirror the 4 seasons. If you're on the winning team in a given round, you get a point. Whoever has the most points at the end wins, or if there's a tie (which is quite likely), they share the victory. Does that sound like something people would be interested in doing once? ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

After the last season wraps up, I have an idea in mind to construct a 4-round game, using different characters and objective cards for each round, to mirror the 4 seasons. If you're on the winning team in a given round, you get a point. Whoever has the most points at the end wins, or if there's a tie (which is quite likely), they share the victory. Does that sound like something people would be interested in doing once? ;-)

YES.

Rend on
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

YES.

I'd be interested in that.
    A BIT.
    ;-)

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

YES.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To clarify, I'll just cook some stuff up off the top of my head as examples of what it would look like -- I would want this to be an epic 10-player campaign. SPOILERS for all seasons follow, kinda.

Round 1, Season 1
    Characters to choose from: Adama, Roslin, Tigh, Baltar, Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, Chief, Billy, Dee.
    Objective card: Kobol

Round 2, Season 2
    Characters to choose from: Tigh, Helo, Baltar, Zarek, Starbuck, Anders, Ellen Tigh, Helena Cain, Kendra Shaw, Brother Cavil, D'Anna, Cally. SPECIAL: The player who had Adama in Round 1 may return with Adama for Round 2, but begins in Sickbay and is not Admiral. SPECIAL: If both Ellen Tigh and Saul Tigh are selected, the player who selected Ellen may choose for Saul to begin as President.
    Objective card: New Caprica

Round 3, Season 3
    Characters: Adama, Tigh, Helo, Roslin, Zarek, Starbuck, Boomer, Anders, Hot Dog, Chief, Cally, Cottle, Romo Lampkin, I think there's a politician-Apollo floating around, Dee.
    Objective: Earth

Round 4, Season 4
    Hell if I know. Probably a hella crazy objective card, with like 8 separate distance triggers.

(This obviously fudges the timeline in places, and is just here as an example. The final product would definitely be quite different.)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

just make sure she doesn't sign the back of the loyalty card :lol:

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh damn, that sounds epic. I'd love to get in on that if at all possible.

Hippie on
  • Options
    AstargothAstargoth regular
    edited February 2009
    I would like to sign up if anyone would be interested in hosting any future games.

Astargoth on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man
    That would be the best thing ever, Gandalf.

Yeah, scriv, I was just thinking about that. Maybe I could just contact FF and try to get replacements/extras...

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Was just thinking about 'the humans never beat the cylons on the PA boards' comments I was hearing the other night, and I realized something. The PbP games seem like it's much more difficult to reliably beat skill checks all day long like "we" seemed to in the IRC game. The ability for players to call out how much they can contribute in a full round rather than one at a time might help the humans scrape by on alot of close calls where in the PbP game, the first to act might often get saddled with "if I had only known..." etc.

Just a thought.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One answer is to utilize Investigative Committees more often, converting the situation to one of perfect knowledge.

Darian on
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've now played with several different groups, and I'm amazed at how different the styles are between groups. One group has recently shown me the awesomeness that is Investigative Committee. It only costs 3-5, and who hasn't beat a skill check by 10+ before? Plus it forces cylons not to sabotage anything and lets you know not to bother trying when the destiny deck drops a -8 on you.

Nosaji on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tell me about it. In Rend's IRC game, people were Executive Order light and Research Lab heavy. Made it a little tough on me, the almighty Admiral President Tigh.

Valkun on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, yes... in case I wasn't clear, !sign up.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll start drawing up the spreadsheet for the epic 4-rounder. For the record, people who have previously GMed games here will receive top priority for slots.

EDIT: Which is not to say that I'm accepting sign-ups yet. Because I'm not. :-P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sorry to double-post, but this is a completely separate topic from my previous post.

I've been thinking about the "line of succession" mechanic with regards to the Presidency. I don't really like it. Yeah, I know there's a line of succession for heads of state, but it almost seems like they just copy-pasted the idea from the mechanic they were using for the Admiral title. So here's a houserule idea I've been toying with:

Remove the Vice President card from the Quorum deck. Instead, the President appoints a VP at the start of the game, with the usual effect -- Administration can only be targeted at that character. If the Prez reveals as a Cylon, the title passes to the VP, who then immediately appoints a new VP. There is no "line of succession" for the Presidency, because it would be impossible for the President and VP to simultaneously reveal, even if both were Cylons.

Furthermore, add this text to the President card: "Action: Choose any other player, but not a Revealed Cylon. That player becomes the Vice President."

What do you guys think?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The line of succession is the reason Roslin was president in the first place; she was the highest ranking government official that survived the disaster on Caprica. Why wouldn't it have a place in the game?

Darian on
  • Options
    OsvikOsvik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Id love to be put on a list somewhere of people interested in playing.

Honestly never knew this game existed till I read through a couple of the threads here and it looks like a lot of fun. So much so I just ordered the game online, should have it in 4-5 days so :)

Osvik on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The line of succession is the reason Roslin was president in the first place; she was the highest ranking government official that survived the disaster on Caprica. Why wouldn't it have a place in the game?

I know that, but the only title-changers in the game are:
    1) Election (via Administration)
    2) Death (via Cylon Reveal)
    3) Martial Law

None of these involve a large-scale massacre of the cabinet, as happened in the show. In the event of the President's death, assuming no other factors, the VP is the only relevant part of the line of succession.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So here's a houserule idea I've been toying with:

Remove the Vice President card from the Quorum deck. Instead, the President appoints a VP at the start of the game, with the usual effect -- Administration can only be targeted at that character. If the Prez reveals as a Cylon, the title passes to the VP, who then immediately appoints a new VP. There is no "line of succession" for the Presidency, because it would be impossible for the President and VP to simultaneously reveal, even if both were Cylons.

Furthermore, add this text to the President card: "Action: Choose any other player, but not a Revealed Cylon. That player becomes the Vice President."

What do you guys think?

This would also have the side effect of allowing two players to deny everyone else the presidency, by continuously selecting each other as VP.

I think the idea of a line of succession is that our characters are already making these selections without the players' interference.

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It would be an interesting situation to have a VP in place if your president revealed as cylon... who to trust!? :P

I think if anything you should just add a second duplicate VP card to the quorum deck to achieve this without running into issues like Nosaji mentioned.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a interesting idea, but it would have to many drawbacks. For example, this system would make Baltar a lot less playable.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Buy.com has this for $35 with free shipping, both through their main site and their ebay store. I ordered mine tonight.

Maybe that / other deals would be good OP material?

e~ could totally go for an IRC right now if someone was running it :P

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd be interested in an IRC game too but it seems unlikely being so late.

Tertiee on