Options

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    These extra features are not enough for me to buy yet another DS.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Considering I still use the original DS, this will finally talk me into upgrading into a lite, which I have wanted to do just never felt the need to.

Can't wait.

I'll have to say that if you don't already have a lite, this is the perfect excuse to upgrade. Lites are soooo much better than the old fatties.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Considering I still use the original DS, this will finally talk me into upgrading into a lite, which I have wanted to do just never felt the need to.

Can't wait.

I'll have to say that if you don't already have a lite, this is the perfect excuse to upgrade. Lites are soooo much better than the old fatties.

That's what I figured. I'm using this as my excuse to finally upgrade, which I have been hesitant at doing thus far.

So I'm looking forward to it...and I like the blue one.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No news for Europe I assume? Ho hum. Until this talk of region locking is confirmed one way or the other I can't even consider importing.

I just bought a DS Lite on Friday so I'm glad there's no news on a European release yet, that would have pissed me off so much.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I on the other hand really hope this comes out soon. The L button on my ds has gone kabloo-ey after several months of sketchyness. So, I am in the market for a new DS, and if this isn't more than say... $30.00 more expensive than the DS lite, and comes out in the US within the next... 3 months or so, I may wait.

EDIT: (I actually should have read page 2) Oh damn, that's right around the corner. But I forgot that this does not support GBA... I should just pick up another lite, and then if DSi titles kick off, pick up one down the road and hold on to the DS for lasting GBA play.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I on the other hand really hope this comes out soon. The L button on my ds has gone kabloo-ey after several months of sketchyness. So, I am in the market for a new DS, and if this isn't more than say... $30.00 more expensive than the DS lite, and comes out in the US within the next... 3 months or so, I may wait.

Look a few posts up, then. :) April 5th U.S. launch, $169, blue and black. Guess we should change the thread title and OP too.

EDIT: Ah, too fast for me.

The lack of GBA really isn't a big deal to me—I have a Micro for the handful of GBA games that I own, but I was never really into the GBA as much as I am the DS. I'm curious to see how games look on the larger screens, though.

And let's not forget arguably one of the best reasons to get a DSi ... so you can use this plastic Hori shell:

lzHBTRNzqhbjlsllUD2cv6DLo1_400.jpg

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The lack of a GBA slot isn't a huge thing to me. I still have a GBA and will be keeping my DS Phat...so I'm all set for GBA gaming.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Between the White DS Lite being rumored to have been discontinued and the lack of a White DSi, Nintendo's abandonment of White handhelds is making me :(

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The lack of a GBA slot isn't a huge thing to me. I still have a GBA and will be keeping my DS Phat...so I'm all set for GBA gaming.

I have my DS Lite & my GB Micro for GBA play.

And if worse comes to worse I can crack open the mint-in-box Classic NES GBA SP I'm keeping as a collectible.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got one working phat and two working lites, even though one of the hinges doesn't work.

I have a good 13 or so devices that can play GBA games, and a further 7 that can play GB/GBC.

So losing GBA support, not a huge deal for me.

Also, Who wouldn't want some DSi only games? The thing has quite a bit more RAM.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, Who wouldn't want some DSi only games? The thing has quite a bit more RAM.

There are clearly some things that only it can do. The camera is what I'm most excited for. New Pokemon Snap!

I'm totally getting one. Actually, two. My little sis's birthday is March 6th, so I think I'll give her a DS-sized card that says "ONE MONTH" on it. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The DSi is a definite buy for me. I got the regular DS just about 3 months before the DS Lite came out and didn't feel that purchase was justified. Given the slight wear-and-tear on my DS, mostly thanks to accidents on other people's recklessness (like that bitch that spilled soda on it), I'm letting a friend have it when I get a DSi. Said friend doesn't care for what has come of the DS.

Gotta note that the DS is the only piece of technology I've owned that has come under such terrible conditions.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some of the minor features of the thing are worth it.

One, it reads SDHC cards, and has a very decent music player built in.

Two, it can handle WPA2.

Three, Bigger Brighter screens, louder speakers.

Four, DSi Ware, which has some neat stuff already and could eventually have some really cool things like VC GBA/GBC games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Two, it can handle WPA2.

Four, DSi Ware, which has some neat stuff already and could eventually have some really cool things like VC GBA/GBC games.

WPA2 is the only reason I can see myself buying it right now. I don't use any of the Wi-Fi features on my DS lite because I have a WPA network at home. It's a PITA to change my network settings just to play Mario Kart or something.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Two, it can handle WPA2.

WPA2 is the only reason I can see myself buying it right now. I don't use any of the Wi-Fi features on my DS lite because I have a WPA network at home. It's a PITA to change my network settings just to play Mario Kart or something.

You're still going to have to; I'm pretty sure previews have said that WPA is only for DSi-specific stuff, like the DSiWare store or whatever they're calling it. The vanilla DS still is still WEP only. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Two, it can handle WPA2.

You're still going to have to; I'm pretty sure previews have said that WPA is only for DSi-specific stuff, like the DSiWare store or whatever they're calling it. The vanilla DS still is still WEP only. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

That...makes no sense at all. What the hell does the game care what kind of wireless protocol is being used, so long as there is a connection.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, that's OUR Nintendo!
    In the latest segment of “Iwata Asks,” Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that the enhanced security capabilities of the Nintendo DSi hardware will not extend to legacy software. While WPA and WPA2 support will indeed be built into the handheld’s firmware as previous reports have indicated, only DSi-specific games will take advantage of it.
    Though the new browser and those programs designed exclusively for the DSi will use a high level of security [e.g. WPA], existing DS software will use existing encryption.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Two, it can handle WPA2.

That...makes no sense at all. What the hell does the game care what kind of wireless protocol is being used, so long as there is a connection.

Only games that are coded to use WPA/2 will work. Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, and all the other existing Wi-Fi connection games on the market right now will only work with WEP.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well Dammit, then I have zero interest in this. At least at the moment.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've never heard "security" and "DS" in the same sentence. Can anyone elaborate on this for me, exactly? I don't imagine someone is going to oh noes virus my DS.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've never heard "security" and "DS" in the same sentence. Can anyone elaborate on this for me, exactly? I don't imagine someone is going to oh noes virus my DS.

The DS only supports WEP for a wireless encryption standard, not WPA or WPA2.

So, if you want to use your DS wirelessly, you're going to have to use WEP for your wireless network.

WEP is roughly as secure as that lock you have on your bathroom door that you can open with a bent coat hanger.

So anyone within range can easily access your wireless network.

This may or may not be a problem for you.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DSi only games? Really? Dammit. I don't wanna upgrade form the Lite because I use it for GBA games a lot, and having one device I can carry with me anywhere to play all my handheld games is awesome. But having DSi games means I will HAVE to upgrade eventually. I don't want to, but I will. Because I'm whore.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, who's pre-ordering?

Large Amazon.com link

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The potentially bigger announcement here is motherfuckin' RHYTHM HEAVEN on April 5! :D I can't wait.

To be specific, you mean "a very decent AAC player." As in, no MP3 playback. But I wouldn't be using this for music anyway; the photo aspect could be fun, though. I take a lot more photos with my phone nowadays just because it's on me all the time.

Lunker on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    DSi only games? Really? Dammit. I don't wanna upgrade form the Lite because I use it for GBA games a lot, and having one device I can carry with me anywhere to play all my handheld games is awesome. But having DSi games means I will HAVE to upgrade eventually. I don't want to, but I will. Because I'm whore.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this aspect. How many GBC only games were there? Was it about everything after it came out, or were they mostly still backwards compatible?

Companies don't want to alienate their userbase. I would expect to see quite a few Nintendo games that require it, and several third party, but in general I expect many games will still work on the original DS.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My original DS is slowly losing battery life, often doesn't read games that have been left sitting in it without needing to remove them and put them back in, I don't play GBA games any more, and the DSi isn't really that much more expensive. I might just end up skipping the Lite altogether.

jothki on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    My original DS is slowly losing battery life

FYI, replacement batteries are $15.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lack of GBA support irked me, but then I remembered two things:

1) I own a perfectly fine GBA.
    2) I own a perfectly fine GBA player for my perfectly fine Cube.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any idea when this will be out in europe?

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    March 10th.....2023. O_o

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So is the Rhythm Heaven game a DSi game or is it an English-language version of the Japanese DS game?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So is the Rhythm Heaven game a DSi game or is it an English-language version of the Japanese DS game?

The latter. No DSi-only carts have been announced yet, only a vague mention in the press release.

Lunker on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is this scheduled to have a better audio DAC in it than the DS / DS Lite? Rhythm games on it were cool, but the sound quality was just physically painful after playing DJ Max Portable 1/2 on the psp.

I might be tempted to upgrade if it does, in order to take advantage of the SDHC support.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    Lack of GBA support irked me, but then I remembered two things:

1) I own a perfectly fine GBA.
    2) I own a perfectly fine GBA player for my perfectly fine Cube.

Unless it's an SP or Micro, I don't think you can call a GBA perfectly fine. The screen is rather bad.
    20010613h.gif

Peewi on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »

I wouldn't be too concerned about this aspect. How many GBC only games were there? Was it about everything after it came out, or were they mostly still backwards compatible?

Companies don't want to alienate their userbase. I would expect to see quite a few Nintendo games that require it, and several third party, but in general I expect many games will still work on the original DS.
    That's a good point. It's likely just going to be a few quirky games form Nintendo, and maybe one from Square.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To anyone irked at the loss of GBA support, I'd just like to point out that a used GBMicro is $30 from Gamestop.
    if you're lucky enough to find one

Daedalus on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There look to be a ton of the Micros on Ebay, and even some of the red/gold anniversary versions, which I lust for, even though I don't really have any GBA games.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Micros are fantastic, the perfect size to keep in your pocket for gaps between meetings and the like.

I can see myself buying one of these depending on what content they release for the online store. I would love a GB/GBA catalog to download from.

My ye olde gameboy isn't doing so well these days, plus all the cart batteries are dying. Would be good to get those online and not have to worry about losing the memory anymore.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can see myself being interested in this if the cameras are used for a new type of game play. I'm sure they will be, but will I be intereted in it?
    It seems that I've so little time to game that I wind up spending more than i should for a unique experience.

The cameras make me excited. Like, balance board levels of excitement. I just hope it doesn't get ignored on a balance board level.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is Nintendo fucking insane? Splitting the market by making DSi-only games...gotta be kidding me. What kind of dumbass dev would do that to their game anyway?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg