As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Baby, You Can Drive My Car

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    I saw a TVR Tuscan today

They make a noise like every car from LeMans is trapped inside the engine

It gave everyone it drove past a boner
    Tuscans are nice but i'd rather have the one that looks like an alien and scares the shit out of those watching and those driving it.

3668958878_60bbf1b4a3_b.jpg

oh look it's trying to phase through time and space in an attempt to return to its home planet, how quaint

Faricazy on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    I saw a TVR Tuscan today

They make a noise like every car from LeMans is trapped inside the engine

It gave everyone it drove past a boner
    Tuscans are nice but i'd rather have the one that looks like an alien and scares the shit out of those watching and those driving it.

3668958878_60bbf1b4a3_b.jpg

oh look it's trying to phase through time and space in an attempt to return to its home planet, how quaint
    Apparently the Sagaris is actually the least terrifying TVR to drive

I think that Jeremy Clarkson said of the previous TVRs that TVR only ever learned what they were like to drive after they started selling them, from owners who were ringing in to tell them that they had died, or words to that effect

[edit]I actually had a ride in a TVR Tuscan Speed 6 driven by a dude who races them professionally. The acceleration is astonishing. It glues you to your seat and trying to pull your head forward makes it feel as though someone is strangling you.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    that paint should be an option on every car

deciding on a color is so hard

fuck it i'm picking all the colors at once

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I did some work experience at a panelshop about 6 years ago, that paint was $1000 Ausbucks per litre. So at the time, about $800 US dollars a litre. Most paintjobs use about 6 litres of colour on a medium size car...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man I used to have a pair of rollerskates when I was a kid. Tried using those front brake pad things once, and once only...

Those were only for walking

Also, TVR's magnum Opus

1_TVR_Cerbera_Speed_12_12.jpg

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    talk me out of leasing se++

Unknown User on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    don't do it!

Just put some cash on the dash and call it a day

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Isn't that what dan did

isn't it the way to go?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Slow? Boring as hell?

As you say, each to his own.

But to call a GTI boring as hell?

There is something very wrong with you. There is more to life, and driving, than racing between traffic lights. Some of us like to go around corners you see. On a track. Quickly. Which is where a GTi outclasses a standard WRX or Speed3.

Any comparison test on a track I've seen has the WRX and Speed3 seconds ahead of a Gti...but then the GTi ends up scoring more points and finishing first overall in the tests because the interior is nice and the drive is refined.

If a car is winning Hot Hatch shoot-outs because it's interior is a nice place to be, something is up.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well the WRX interior is pretty terrible.

But it will run rings around the GTI, especially the STI version, though of course that little number rings in about $10k higher...

I drove the original Mazdaspeed 3 at one of their track events (autocross track, more like) it was a very nice, decent handling little car, though even better once I turned off all the electronic traction bullshit.... but it's not what I'd call "fast" or particularly exciting. Of course that wasn't the new 263hp version. Either way it's a fun, affordable car that I would definitely put near the top of my list of hatchbacks.

jwalk on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    talk me out of leasing se++

Are you going to be forced to have higher insurance due to the leasing? And wow long and for what amount? are we talking about?

Just figure it out $ per mileage on each and make a decision. If its cheaper to lease but you don't want the hassle down the line then lease it.

If its a car you love and don't ever want to get rid of, buy it.

Honestly? with prices this low, I would buy it. Especially if you enjoy it. The economy is only going to get better from here (or fail horribly) so buying it makes much more sense since they are willing to go so low right now.
    so the first numbers they gave me at the dealership was lower than I was expecting to have to negotiate down to

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THEIR WOMEN!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah only if you plan to turn it in at the end of the lease, if not then buy.
    Also, new cars are nice, I've had 2, but if you are looking to stretch your dollars don't dismiss finding a sweet used one either. Just take your time, don't jump on the first one you find.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The argument I made to John for leasing is that if he can get a good rate for 15k miles a year and zero down, to do that, mainly because I would not want to own an electrically complex luxury car out of warranty.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    the pros of leasing right now are that I don't have to deal with the car out of warranty, and it will end up being a bit cheaper per month. The cons are of course that it is a lease, and at the end of the lease I don't have a car to trade in, although I could just end up buying it.

Also, I was planning on buying used, but I'm not going to do that anymore because Audi has about 5k worth of incentives to buying a new 09, excluding the loyalty discount which is another 800 or so.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    World's fastest Honda (twin-supercharger RSX):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZthHV7_AL0

Check out the spin at the end... uhoh I think I needs new underwear!

Thought about throwing a supercharger on mine (but not two, don't think I'll hit 227 mph very much)

jwalk on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2009
    The problem with that Honda is that if I bought a car to go really fast I'd want it to look really flashy too

bongi on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    still sounds like an angry bee

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So some species of tree where I live just decided to drop all their leaves recently, so in the morning the road was littered with them. Zipping down it at 70 threw up those twin vortices behind me, like a car commercial. It was pretty awesome.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the pros of leasing right now are that I don't have to deal with the car out of warranty, and it will end up being a bit cheaper per month. The cons are of course that it is a lease, and at the end of the lease I don't have a car to trade in, although I could just end up buying it.

Also, I was planning on buying used, but I'm not going to do that anymore because Audi has about 5k worth of incentives to buying a new 09, excluding the loyalty discount which is another 800 or so.

Lease to buy is the biggest rip off in the world. Don't do it. Even the dealer's salesmen will tell you that's the worst option.

Only lease under the following conditions:
    1. You don't drive that much and thus will keep the miles low and the car will be less prone to damage.
    2. You know you'll be happy with the car for the terms of the lease. Ask Stale how successful he's been getting out of his lease. If you buy it and get tired or frustrated with it at least you can sell/trade it.
    3. You flat out cannot afford to buy.
    And if you fall under condition 3 I would say you are getting too much car then. If something happens and you lose your job or whatever you are still stuck with the lease. If you're buying and shit happens again you can always sell it or trade it in for something cheaper to own.

If you can afford to buy you should. It's unlikely all the work you'll need to have done on it will be covered by the warranty and at least then you'll be dumping your money into a car you own rather than a car that goes back to the dealer after a few years.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I do believe I have fallen in love with the new E-Class Coupe.

112_0902_02z+2010_mercedes_benz_e_class_coupe+side_reflection.jpg

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hey guys look at acura's new car

2010_zdx_2_opt.jpg

ahaha

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    everybody has a different opinion on finance vs lease

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    I do believe I have fallen in love with the new E-Class Coupe.

112_0902_02z+2010_mercedes_benz_e_class_coupe+side_reflection.jpg

This is the one that will sense when you're falling asleep and wake you up, can tell when you're drifting in lane and correct you and then tell when you're not going to break and slow you to a stop...yes?

It's a car built for people who are to dumb to drive.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    zip, it's pretty dumb to complain about safety features. if it doesn't apply to you, then what do you care?

the new E is pretty nice. I'll take a Jag XF though, thanks.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    zip, it's pretty dumb to complain about safety features. if it doesn't apply to you, then what do you care?

I don't so much, nor was I really complaining about the car. Just the people that require that level of hand holding while driving. Hell, I'm glad the car will keep them from getting into a wreck with another person.

Doesn't make them any less dumb.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well anyone that tells you leasing to buy is a good idea has no clue what they are talking about.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Butters wrote: »

Well anyone that tells you leasing to buy is a good idea has no clue what they are talking about.

nobody has told me that leasing to buy is a good idea

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Butters wrote: »

nobody has told me that leasing to buy is a good idea

That's because leasing to buy is not a good idea.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes, my holdup is on just plain ol' leasing vs financing.

I have a really hard time making decisions about things where I can see the benefits of both.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Don't lease.

Own something.

I have no concrete reasons as to why aside from people saying they don't like being trapped in a lease.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's true, but at the same merit I've owned my current car for almost 4 years and haven't really had any reason to bust out into something new until about september of last year when I could afford it and saw something I really liked. Even then I didn't start to seriously consider it until very recently, which puts me well over the usual 36 months for the lease. It's been the same with my last two cars as well, 4 years and then move on.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Do what you think works for you.

Me? I'll likely never lease a car.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited July 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    So like, everyone who drives in the USA.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Essentially.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh god I've had the same car for seven years

it doesn't look like I'll ever get another one

also while there are benefits to both leasing and financing, it seems like there are more benefits to financing. the only boon leasing brings to the table is being able to give the car up easily at the end of the term and get something completely new

what are the other arguments for leasing?

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    http://jalopnik.com/5318399/259+car-autobahn-pile+up-largest-in-german-history

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Essentially it boils down to not having to put down as much (if any) and lower monthly payments.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You can usually lease a car that you couldn't afford to buy, so if that's what you want, and you will keep the mileage low (because they will bend you over and fuck you soo hard if you run up the mileage too high) it's not a terrible option.

Right now there's so many used cars on the market though I think buying a good low-miles used car is a better deal than leasing especially if you're looking at a BMW or something what some financial guy bought back when he had money and now is totally fucked he has to sell it haha.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    Essentially it boils down to not having to put down as much (if any) and lower monthly payments.

Try getting a loan through your bank or credit union?

I got one through my CU and there was no down payment on my car, and the payments aren't too bad.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Try getting a loan through your bank or credit union?

I got one through my CU and there was no down payment on my car, and the payments aren't too bad.

Where you get your loan from has nothing to do with your down payment. Putting money down up front when financing just lowers the amount you'll need to borrow from the bank thus lowering your monthly payment.

rob, every lease term I've seen for a luxury car still requires at least a couple grand down.

EDIT: And of course putting money down means less of the car's total cost is paid with interest.

Butters on
This discussion has been closed.