As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Baby, You Can Drive My Car

• Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I'm going back to the dealer tonight, they're gonna appraise my car and we'll talk some more firm numbers.

Fortunately I will be going with my car already appraised by CarSense and with two other quotes.

Not sure if I should just tell the dude right off that I don't really feel like wasting either of our times with like an hour of pointless haggling and he should just give me the best possible offer right off.

well, it's possible (though not super-likely) that they may offer you even more than 16k, also not sure about your state but there may be tax-savings involved in trading in your vehicle to the same place you buy one from. So if they offer you 16k or even close to it, you may actually get more out of it.

So basically you need to settle on a price for the car you're buying, then you're going to have to do the trade in song and dance if you want the best for your money.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I don't know if they'll be able to beat Carsense. At the same time, it's possible I won't get as much for the tradein and he ends up cutting cost on other things to make up for it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I enjoyed the hell out of trading in my last car for the current one.

Did all the negotiating on the car, got it down to a price I was happy with and then we started talking trade in.

We walk out to my car to do a walk around and the back end is smashed in, the front has a huge dent in it and there is a donut on the passenger side front.

The guy just kind of stares at me, mouth agape. I go on to tell him I was in a really bad accident and the car is very much totaled and I've got the insurance check for it, but hey, if he could throw some cash my way it would be most welcome.

He goes and talks to his people and comes out scratching his head... "Two hundred ok?"

"Done."

I can't take the new car home until tomorrow but we sign all the papers, I cut him a check, we shake hands and he goes to head out. Here I am, forced to flag him down because I need something.

"...you're kidding me."

"Nope, I need a push. See, the starter is shot on the car and it won't start unless I get it rolling and pop the clutch. Think you can push me out of the spot and get it rolling?"

To his credit, he grabbed a couple of guys and they got the job done. Best 200 bucks ever.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is CarSense actually a method of selling your car or does it just give value like KBB? The trade in value the dealer gives you is going to depend more on whether or not they can sell it easily than anything. KBB said my old STS was worth $3500 as trade-in but I couldn't get more than $500 from any dealer because they didn't want to put it on their lot so I had to sell it privately.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CarSense is a used car dealership that will buy your car even if you don't buy a new one from them. The downside of carsense is that they don't haggle at all so I'd be stuck paying MSRP.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    it's like carmax... they give you an offer on paper, to buy your vehicle at x price for y number of days

you dont have to buy anything from them to sell them your car

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Have you tried advertising your car in the paper or craigslist? If there's nothing wrong with it you'll get more selling it outright than from any dealer trade-in. See what KBB says about your ride.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The CarSense value and the KBB value are almost identical. In fact, CarSense is about 800$ more.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    he also still owes money on the car, and unless he has the 6 grand laying around you can't sell the car to a private party without the title in hand.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I could probably pay it off right now, but really from all my research its going to be a much bigger hassle to sell it to a private party and I doubt I'd end up getting more money for it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a nice thing to know beforehand but no dealer will give you as much for a trade in as you could sell it for privately. The good thing is you don't have to deal with all the tire-kickers, low-ballers, joy-riders, people that want to pay with nigerian credit cards, etc...

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    It's a nice thing to know beforehand but no dealer will give you as much for a trade in as you could sell it for privately.

This is pretty much common sense. A dealer is going to have to clean it up and resell it so they're going to give you less than you'd get selling it outright.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but at the same time trying to sell my car privately in this economy and with the amount of time/efford I'd be able to put into it (and in the timeframe I'm looking at) would be completely counterproductive.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my car would have much better resell value if my ex hadn't let a truck smack up into it and then not make him pull over and get an insurance claim

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    my car would have much better resell value if my ex hadn't let a truck smack up into it and then not make him pull over and get an insurance claim

This sounds like a metaphor for her fucking another dude.

"My sanity would be much more intact if my ex hadn't let another dude slam his junk into her and then not make him pull out before he came."

...maybe that's just me though.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    See that right there is the classic blunder of letting your girlfriend drive your car, ever.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    car is down to 33.5 (from 38.5 , "35" after discounts), gonna keep workin on getting it lower

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    See that right there is the classic blunder of letting your girlfriend drive your car, ever.
    also voting

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    dealership in delaware quoted me at 33 exactly, gonna go back to local dealer tomorrow and say if they can get me any number below 33 its a done deal

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, there was a fucking Murcielago behind me for a red light and a stop sign

After I turned left, he floored it out of the stop, maybe because I'd been jack rabbiting and he wanted to show me how it's really done

that thing fucking screams

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    wives tend to have more leverage

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Wait a sec you let your wife leave the house? It better have been to buy groceries.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Butters wrote: »

Wait a sec you let your wife leave the house? It better have been to buy groceries.
    man I just wanted to watch some cartoons without a constant whine in the background

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's why you get her a used station wagon or SUV or some other piece of shit to drive to the grocery store.

jwalk on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    vw-woman.jpg

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    haha, women drivers

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    haha women

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    haha misogyny

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hahahahahaha that is excellent

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Women are soft and gentle, but they hit things."

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    just put deposit down on car.

2009 Audi A4 Premium Plus (2.0t Quattro), Meteor Grey Pearl, Leather Seats, audi care included etc. etc. etc.

Final Price $32,650 (MSRP $39,650)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not bad, rob. Congratulations.

Butters on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Welcome to the VAG community.

Now mod that bitch.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    First thing I am going to do is see if I can get a cable long enough to run the ipod connector from the glovebox to somewhere in the center console.

The glovebox is so dumb!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    get them windows tinted

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    get them windows tinted

Throw some D's on that bitch

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    gonna put on some chrome spinnas

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey, congrats rob.

Now pick me up at work and we can go cruising.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    when I was in pep boys they had Hello Kitty floor mats, Hello Kitty steering wheel covers, and Hello Kitty vanity plates

If only they had Hello Kitty rims

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    2wox1yr.jpg

natek on
This discussion has been closed.