As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Baby, You Can Drive My Car

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    That's essentially going to be covered by my trade-in.

I'm going to CarSense today to get a number (in writing!) on my current car to take back to the dealer. Depending on what they offer me is what I think is going to push me to one direction or the other. More $ = finance, less $ = lease.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    That's essentially going to be covered by my trade-in.

Then don't lease it! You would essentially be trading in and then getting nothing back for it. Unless the lower payments would be more then the 2-3k trade in that is. But then you run into that problem again when you want to swap cars.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    if you buy a car only to trade it in a year or two down the line you're going to get raped on the trade in value

unless you have enough to pay it off and sell it to a private party, if you like new cars often you're better off leasing and taking care of the thing than buying. If you can get them to throw in a maintenance plan for the duration of the lease for cheap or free even better.

If you know you're going to rack up the miles though, like others have said, you're better off buying.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ZeroFill has the gist of why I'm considering leasing.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My 2nd car is a lease and it's been perfect. I got them to throw in more miles, and all maintenance covered for the duration of the lease. It goes back in roughly a year.

the good thing in my case is that being our 2nd car, if it gets close on the miles by the time it's time to take it back, we can just cut back use of it and use the other car.

You can also usually take leases back in a few months early if you turn around and lease another from the same dealership.

Also since I got it in california, it was nice to save money on taxes.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    if you buy a car only to trade it in a year or two down the line you're going to get raped on the trade in value

Depends on the car. If it's a car that can be easily sold you can find a dealer that will give you good money for it and if you're leasing and you want to trade it in after a year...you can't. No one is saying getting rid of a car you set up for financing is easy or even a good idea. Just that if you really want to or have to it's an option.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    taxes... california.... LESS?? o_O

Anyway, what do you think about this guy?

MMMMMMM

jwalk on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    get an M Coupe

i absolutely love those clownshoes

actually, get me an M Coupe

Faricazy on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw a Z4 M coupe once

parked in front of a chick fil a

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nah, rather have a M3 coupe if I'm going that route.

Tell you what, buy me a roadster, I'll buy you a coupe.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CarSense offered me 16 for my car. Currently owe 6. Kinda psyched about that number.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just got new tires, fixed the A/C, changed the oil and washed the air filter (washable K&N) it's like a new car. Think I'll probably order an intake ($300, can install it myself) and think about the Hondata ECU flash ($600, adds like 20-25HP no shit, also easy install, but have to do without your car for 2 days).

I mean shit I'd love an M but can't justify spending the dosh right now. Maybe next year...

jwalk on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    taxes... california.... LESS?? o_O

Anyway, what do you think about this guy?

MMMMMMM

Always thought that car looked like the car from the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Buying a car, I always worked under the assumption that I will want to put at minimum half the cost down, then get a loan for the rest, unless I just want to buy the car outright. The idea being that I basically want to be able to buy the car with cash if I have to, making sure that I don't buy a car that I cannot afford.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Buying a car, I always worked under the assumption that I will want to put at minimum half the cost down, then get a loan for the rest, unless I just want to buy the car outright. The idea being that I basically want to be able to buy the car with cash if I have to, making sure that I don't buy a car that I cannot afford.

This exactly

People seem to think that because they can take out a loan then everything will be peachy

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Half the cost is a lot on a new car but a healthy down payment is definitely the best way to go.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Eh, well it depends on what you have, what terms you can get, what you can afford monthly, and what you might need your cash for otherwise.

Have a wad of cash, and/or a good value (trade in or sell) car? Buy your car outright, avoid the interest.

Have some cash to burn and/or a good trade in, but not all, and can get good terms (interest rate)? Put a good chunk down, finance the rest.

Have cash but need it for something else? Put what you can down, finance the rest.

Have no cash, no trade in, and no hope? God help you.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I tend to only want cars that max out in the mid 20s new.

Not looking to buy anything high-rollin'

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    $25k is still like a $800 monthly payment (for 36 mo - or $500 for 5 years) if you have nothing down.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Which is exactly why when I go to get a new car end of the year, I'm looking to plunk 12k down, plus trade in. That should get my payments down to very reasonable levels. Then get a loan, over pay every month, build up good credit, and pay the sucker off.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well yeah you're only financing $10k or less, that's much better. That's about what I did and payments were under $300/mo (for 36 mo) which was doable.

jwalk on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    god dammit

so i replaced the splintered exhaust manifold apron hoping that it was the reason for the annoying rattling sound at 2700 rpm

fuck no, the car still rattles like a motherfucker

i've read on the german alfa boards that actually lots of 156s and a few 147s and GTs have that rattling problem. none of them were able to diagnose the origin...

Iskander on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    get someone in the car

have them push on bits until it stpos

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm asking my company's ceo if he can loan me a few mil so I can get
    aston-martin_one-77_08.jpeg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    get someone in the car

have them push on bits until it stpos

the sound is coming from somewhere around the engine or exhaust, not the interior

i guess i could strap my little sister to the engine or something

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They aren't good for anything else

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    god dammit

so i replaced the splintered exhaust manifold apron hoping that it was the reason for the annoying rattling sound at 2700 rpm

i've read on the german alfa boards that actually lots of 156s and a few 147s and GTs have that rattling problem. none of them were able to diagnose the origin...

oh god this is such bullshit. i just helped a co-worker replace his on a goddamn 5 year old car.

oh alfa romeo, why must your cars rust so?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Last time I had a rattling problem I couldn't identify it turned out the front bumper was loose as all hell.

Butters on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Have you tried glueing pennies to the back wheel?

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CarSense offered me 16 for my car. Currently owe 6. Kinda psyched about that number.

nice! told you it was good to get a solid number on the value before you go to the dealership

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    god dammit

It's an Alfa Romeo. They just do that.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Last time mine rattled at certain RPMs it was the fuckin gay ass plastic engine cover Acura tacks on.

Solution: tacked it off.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    there is no gay plastic on an alfa

they only use strictly heterosexual plastic

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've seen a few mysterious rattles that ended up coming from the transmission, or the shifter.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I love my industrial design class

Sit there, a group of about 10

talking about cars

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    god dammit

oh god this is such bullshit. i just helped a co-worker replace his on a goddamn 5 year old car.

oh alfa romeo, why must your cars rust so?

if it's any consolation I had to get the timing belt replaced, some sensor on the engine and rear brake lights fixed on my last serve

guess what? the rear brake lights just started failing again!

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my oil changed and tires rotated last night.

The guy looked at me, checked the history of my car and then looked back at me.

"Wait...weren't you just here? You're not scheduled in for another couple of months. How many miles have you put on the car, a couple thousand?"

"Eight thousand, actually."

"...holy shit."

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm going back to the dealer tonight, they're gonna appraise my car and we'll talk some more firm numbers.

Fortunately I will be going with my car already appraised by CarSense and with two other quotes.

Not sure if I should just tell the dude right off that I don't really feel like wasting either of our times with like an hour of pointless haggling and he should just give me the best possible offer right off.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Got my oil changed and tires rotated last night.

The guy looked at me, checked the history of my car and then looked back at me.

"Wait...weren't you just here? You're not scheduled in for another couple of months. How many miles have you put on the car, a couple thousand?"

"Eight thousand, actually."

"...holy shit."

I'm due the 8k oil change on my car, It's taken 6 months to do that.

I'd hate your commute.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going back to the dealer tonight, they're gonna appraise my car and we'll talk some more firm numbers.

Fortunately I will be going with my car already appraised by CarSense and with two other quotes.

Not sure if I should just tell the dude right off that I don't really feel like wasting either of our times with like an hour of pointless haggling and he should just give me the best possible offer right off.

I'd hit him with it right off the bat.

"So, let's talk about my trade in. Carsense and two others have said they'd give me this. How about you?"

Especially if you think his number is going to come in under. If, for whatever reason, you think he's going to be over, then just shhhh. Since that's not likely however....

DrZiplock on
This discussion has been closed.