As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Open Beta Get!

• Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    i see you neglected the ferengi

shame on you

Is there anyone who likes the Ferengi, besides you?

I do. I mean, they have a law saying all their babes must be naked; what's not to like? :P

Ferengi females?

C53W

s3rial one on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »

shame on you

I do. I mean, they have a law saying all their babes must be naked; what's not to like? :P

Ferengi females?

http://imgur.com/C53W

I see you've never heard of the patented Ferengi Beautification Device:
    Brown_Paper_Bag.jpg

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i feel like every problem you encounter should have a "reroute power from the main deflector dish" option, regardless of the situation.

SIR, THE BORG HAVE US IN A TRACTOR BEAM

ain't no than ensign, reroute power from the main deflector dish

or

SIR, THE KLINGONS ARE OPENING FIRE

who cares, just reroute power from the main deflector dish

or

SIR, WE'RE GOING TO CRASH AND WE'LL ALL DIE

cool, reroute power from the main deflector dish

or finally

SIR, THE MAIN DEFLECTOR DISH IS DOWN!

well... reroute power from the main deflector dish!
    This always made me wonder why they didn't equip their starships with multiple large deflector dishes.
    The things just seem so damned useful for everything other then deflecting.

see317 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »

shame on you

Ferengi females?

C53W

Sir, I dare say you slam dunked that argument in a air Jordon style of glorious rightitude.

thats right, rightitude. I can make up words if I wanna, nyah.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

shame on you

I can't imagine anyone doesn't think the rules of acquisition are awesome.

The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Personally I want to be a Romulan. Favorite race, next to the Cardassians who are also back stabbing and cool. And both have 0 rules about owning Orion slave girls. :winky:

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Personally I want to be a Romulan. Favorite race, next to the Cardassians who are also back stabbing and cool. And both have 0 rules about owning Orion slave girls. :winky:

a bridge crew composed entirely of green skinned, practically naked dancing girls. . . o_O
    :winky::winky::winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I feel like for this really to be a Star Trek game true to the series: all combat should be avoidable with awesome monologues, about half the missions should be entirely answering complicated moral questions, and the rest should be ridiculous technobable extravaganzas. Combat is Star Trek is lame, and not really what made it so great or fun, I really hope this game gives some cool, non-combat options.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm almost going to be disappointed now if there's not a timeloop mission.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

a bridge crew composed entirely of green skinned, practically naked dancing girls. . . o_O

My crew of pain collar wearing slaves will beat your naked dancing girl crew any day.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hell yes this is going to be so cool.
    It's a game based on Star Trek so it won't be, but I can still pretend

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

My crew of pain collar wearing slaves will beat your naked dancing girl crew any day.

You might think that, until the dancing girl crew turns out to be Orions. Then they make slaves out of the pain collar wearing slaves and very disturbing things happen.

Archonex on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For anyone interested in trying to get into the STO beta:

Alien Identification Contest

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty excited about this game. Actually, the things I'm most looking forward to are the Fleet options. Fleets are the guilds of STO. Sadly, I can't find the source now, but I was reading some stuff about how fleets will work. It sounds like Cryptic is taking the secret base thing of CoX to a whole new level. If my understanding is correct, Fleets will have their own star bases, with ship repair docks, mining platforms, and other "guild perks." Additionally, I read somewhere that some of the high-end ships will only be available to successful fleets, probably due to the large cost associated with them. Wish I could find the source for this.

I'm really big on the social aspect of MMOs. I think games that offer a ton of perks for guilds and fun things to do outside of the usual instance running and raiding are always a plus.

Edit: Also, Cryptic has said that there is a very good possibility that down the road we will see some new factions, specifically Romulan and Freelance. Honestly, Freelance sounds like the most fun to me. I wish it was going in at launch. Right now, between Federation and Klingon, I think the Federation is gonna outnumber the Klingons about 12:1. I will probably be one of thse Federation. Klingon just doesn't sound that interesting to me.

If I could pick a dream faction, it would be Freelance, working fringe jobs and trying to stay out of the way of both the Federation and the Klingon empire as well. Sort of a "chaotic neutral" faction that is a home to smugglers, pirates, and other sorts. All races welcome.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    the idea of uncloaking behind a Sovereign class starship in a Klingon battlecruiser, and shoving a barrage photon torpedos up its ass is very very appealing to me.

and I'm not even that big of a trek fan

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    the idea of uncloaking behind a Sovereign class starship in a Klingon battlecruiser, and shoving a barrage photon torpedos up its ass is very very appealing to me.

Yeah that sounds fun and all I guess... I can't wait until I have to convince a Romulan captain that I'm in the neutral zone for purely scientific reasons.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yeah that sounds fun and all I guess... I can't wait until I have to convince a Romulan captain that I'm in the neutral zone for purely scientific reasons.

Do Klingons even do science?

I was under the impression that they were basically black space vikings from the TV shows.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    As starfleet i meant. And yes, they are black space vikings.

TheStig on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd love to see a revived Dominion show up as a 3rd faction somewhere down the line.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Judas wrote: »
    I'd love to see a revived Dominion show up as a 3rd faction somewhere down the line.

I kind of want to play as the Borg. Though I imagine the mission choices and dialog would be a bit bland, to say the least.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe reformed Borg?

Heyo Six-o-Eights and Three-o-Fifteens :winky:

Scooter on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Judas wrote: »

I kind of want to play as the Borg. Though I imagine the mission choices and dialog would be a bit bland, to say the least.

NPC: "Greetings 5-of-9! What can I get you today?"

5-of-9:
    A) Resistance is futile!
    B) Resistance is futile!
    C) Resistance is futile!
    D) Fighting back will be a wasteful gesture!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I was under the impression that they were basically black space vikings from the TV shows.

Well, they have to sometime.

how else would they build bigger ships with better weapons?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I always just assumed that they pillaged and conquered to get their tech/resources, like they do in the show.

Also, they viking metal'd their way into getting their first ships, which let them go after other races. I mean there is no fucking way they could make a starship on their own. The extent of their idea of science has to be "how do I stab shit faster?" considering how they act half the time.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Nevermind.

delroland on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh I so do love advanced character customization.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I always just assumed that they pillaged and conquered to get their tech/resources, like they do in the show.

Also, they viking metal'd their way into getting their first ships, which let them go after other races. I mean there is no fucking way they could make a starship on their own. The extent of their idea of science has to be "how do I stab shit faster?" considering how they act half the time.

yes well i mean

klingon warriors do the warring, we never see klingon scientists doesn't mean they don't exist

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, if you go by the logic of "if it isn't in the shows, then it doesn't exist" then no, it doesn't exist. The shows and movies are canon for this game. And if Klingon scientists don't make an appearance in 40 years of TV history or like 10 feature films, then that means there aren't such a thing except in some dumbass extended universe bullcrap.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well, if you go by the logic of "if it isn't in the shows, then it doesn't exist" then no, it doesn't exist. The shows and movies are canon for this game. And if Klingon scientists don't make an appearance in 40 years of TV history or like 10 feature films, then that means there aren't such a thing except in some dumbass extended universe bullcrap.

Klingon scientists are referenced in several episodes of DS9 (and possibly TNG), and one makes an appearance in Enterprise. They're considered lesser citizens in the Empire whose primary duty is to serve the warriors by designing new and interesting ways for them to kill stuff.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

dunno if we ever see sea slugs in star trek but im sure they exist in the setting

do we ever see klingon sex

i mean otherwise i guess we should assume they don't mate

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

dunno if we ever see sea slugs in star trek but im sure they exist in the setting

Yeah, when Q miracles that klingon chick for worf. They fight.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

We see the aftermath when Neelix got some Klingon tail once.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Also, Worf and Dax were pretty rough.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Was that Neelix?
    I remember Quark winding up in sickbay on DS9 after getting some hot klingon tail, but I don't remember Neelix.

Granted, the thought of neelix having sex is plenty justification for it to be blocked from memory, let alone rough sex with a klingon.

see317 on
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Neelix was Talaxian. A race from the Delta quadrant.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Has Cryptic given any sort of time table for when this game is coming out, or at least when the beta will start? I'm starting to get super pumped for it. I need something to break me away from WoW, and this game looks very promising. The more recent videos are amazing.

Also, I've read some things on their official forums that have me pretty excited.

Apparently, there will be semi-randomly generated content. Cryptic wants players to be able to "explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations" etc . In order for that to be possible, it sounds like they are going to have some sort of randomized planets generated for missions, based on a set of predefined criteria.

I also read that they are considering a single server option, sort of like EVE. Space is a big place, and if they do it right, there should be more than room enough for everyone. I'm pretty pumped about the idea of a single server.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

There is an episode where Voyager meets the lost Klingon ship in the Delta quadrant. The Klingons on the ship believe Be'lana's (no idea how to spell her name) child is the savior of the Empire or something. I am pretty sure Neelix hooks up with a Klingon at that point.

Shens on
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shens wrote: »

There is an episode where Voyager meets the lost Klingon ship in the Delta quadrant. The Klingons on the ship believe Be'lana's (no idea how to spell her name) child is the savior of the Empire or something. I am pretty sure Neelix hooks up with a Klingon at that point.

hah, i read the post wrong. "was that Neelix?" = what was neelix? But ya he hooked up. That chick smashed him through some tables and shelves in his quarters, y'know, the rough stuff.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    This thread is pretty much why I don't want to play STO.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft: No, no timeline given by Cryptic as yet. Fingers are crossed for 2010, but fingers are crossed for a lot of things.

sidhaethe on
This discussion has been closed.