As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today is the day!

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so if all the banks go out of business does everyone get their house for free?

Yeah but that's because your money will be worthless.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so if all the banks go out of business does everyone get their house for free?

until some mohawk sporting raiders take it from you, yes.

That'd be me and mine. We also have plans to take, by force, any number of all-girl Catholic High Schools.

Sexy force.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    we could blame it on the jews

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    Hey the dow is still above 7k.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    When I interviewed for MIT the dude straight up told me I easily had the grades but since I didn't have the alumni reference I was shit out of luck.

This doesn't make sense. How do new people ever get into MIT? Is it just seven massive families sending their kids there.

It's because you're the farthest thing from Asian isn't it?

Also, I remember way back to undergrad and when I gave a damn we joke threatened some MIT kid we were going to break into their anime club's library and steal everything (It rivals the size of a public library). He had such a look of terror on his face and proceeded to seriously flip out.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »

remember when the dow was like double this

I do

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »

That's your solution to everything.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

That's your final solution to everything.

I'm terrible.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Things really aren't going to get much worse.

Just think, if the goverment nationalises the major banks, there could even be some ethics and responsibility re-introduced into the finance sector!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    robothero wrote: »

remember when the dow was like double this

I do

That was last year, man. It's not like you're remembering your toddler years or anything.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes hero, that was the joke

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

That's your final solution to everything.

I'm terrible.

Reported for offensiveness

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Just think, if the goverment nationalises the major banks, there could even be some ethics and responsibility re-introduced into the finance sector!

You're implying that a government presence leads to ethics and responsibility

obama is but one man

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/27/iberiabank-gives-back-tar_n_170616.html

Man, I'm so glad we made all that money available to banks who so desperately needed it to get by until it was learned that they'd have to be responsible for how it was spent and now don't need it anymore.

LTM on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You're implying that a government presence leads to ethics and responsibility

obama is but one man
    Clearly it cannot get worse than it has under private ownership.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No I'm trying to imply that regulatory committees with actual powers would lead to ethics and responsibility.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What bothers me is it's like "Unless we start carrying around dolla dolla bills y'all in wheelbarrows, you don't need to worry"

but if we start wheelbarrowing our money around, it's time to really really worry

I need to know the acceleration at which I am allowed to worry

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No I'm trying to imply that regulatory committees with actual powers would lead to ethics and responsibility.

*snort*

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think if we brought back public stoning or crucifixion for these white collar banker and corporate fucks and make them pay for their fiscal crimes, we would start seeing some ethics and responsibility.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    I think if we brought back public stoning or crucifixion for these white collar banker and corporate fucks and make them pay for their fiscal crimes, we would start seeing some ethics and responsibility.

argh

my head

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What bothers me is it's like "Unless we start carrying around dolla dolla bills y'all in wheelbarrows, you don't need to worry"

but if we start wheelbarrowing our money around, it's time to really really worry

you won't worry at all if you don't watch or read any news

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

*snort*

They'll regulate it all right, right after some news story break about the regulatory agency wasn't doing its job. And there'll be a furor and hub-bub, show trials, blah blah. And then back to business so the beautiful cycle of greedy bastards can begin anew.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Just kill one dude. It will send a message.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The problem is that none of their lending practices were illegal, even though they took advantage of people who really can't afford shit in a big way.

Hopefully congress fixes that in short order.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

*snort*

babykiller

^ I'm just kidding, seriously. I've got much respect for the armed forces.

[tiny] PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!! [/tiny]

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think maybe the best way to beat the oppression of the ruling class is to join them

who else wants to become a fatcat

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Me me me!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    let's do it

they say the stock market is where the big money lies

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    The problem is that none of their lending practices were illegal, even though they took advantage of people who really can't afford shit in a big way.

Hopefully congress fixes that in short order.

If we took just 5 corporate/banker assholes who took home millions in salaries and bonuses while running their companies into the dirt and hung them on crosses right there on Wall Street, and then had angry mobs of unemployed workers pelt them with rocks, bottles, and other debris, I guarantee you would see a new wave of corporate ethics and responsibility.

Also, we could see tickets and make a buck.

Hunter on
  • Options
    PuddlesworthPuddlesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When I interviewed for MIT the dude straight up told me I easily had the grades but since I didn't have the alumni reference I was shit out of luck.

This doesn't make sense. How do new people ever get into MIT? Is it just seven massive families sending their kids there.

It's because you're the farthest thing from Asian isn't it?

Also, I remember way back to undergrad and when I gave a damn we joke threatened some MIT kid we were going to break into their anime club's library and steal everything (It rivals the size of a public library). He had such a look of terror on his face and proceeded to seriously flip out.

MIT's pretty good about keeping the institute full of fresh blood. I think your interviewer was just being a dick.

Puddlesworth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If you're going to paraphrase Carlin, give the man some goddamn credit.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »

Actually, I was quoting Bill Hicks

Hunter on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Ok I'm kid of an economy newb could someone explain to me how the recession stops?

Like, I get how it starts and I've seen it around me.

ie. My uncle runs a trucking business, the guy that gives him most of his work and tells him no more work for awhile. He asks why and the guy says, "Because the recession is coming." My uncle told him he was just making it worse.

ie. Some politician mentioned health care cuts (IDIOTS), then a nurse at work says, "Shit, well I'm not going to be buying that new widescreen Tv then". Also I'm quickly finding a place that has cheaper rent so that if I do lose my job I can afford my rent with some cooking or labor job.

So this all seems like a never-ending downward cycle that causes money to stop moving and people to stop buying things and so people don't get paid and businesses fail and can't employ people and so those people don't have money to spend and on and on.

How does this process get reversed?

When people with money start buying shit.

When businesses work through inventory and have to buy more raw materials and produce more goods.

The issue is right now there is little not being effected negatively by the recession. No recession proof industries means nobody with money is going to risk it on things that are unsure. Eventually people will see a bottom to the market and start investing back into things, which will drive demand, get employment back, and the upswing takes effect. The difficult thing is to predict the bottom and keep the overprotective worry warts from being too alarmist.

This is many pages late but I started form the beginning and I had some questions about this. Since I work for a company that not only sells cheap, accessible entertainment, but we sell it on a global platform, I'm really not seeing much direct effect on me or the people around me. As long as the money keeps rolling into the business we work for, is there anything that else that could potentially fuck our lives? If not, does this mean that is rests on my shoulders to buy buy buy, spend spend spend and save the world?

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bill hicks was an angry man

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Why didn't you attend Cornell or Carnegie Mellon on a full scholarship then?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    As long as the money keeps rolling into the business we work for

This is the big thing. Whoever is buying from them needs to keep making money, and whoever buys from them, and so on and so forth.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »

Actually, I was quoting Bill Hicks

Wait, really?

"...you got to start executing a few of these fucking bankers. White, middle class Republican bankers. And I'm not talking about soft, American executions, like lethal injection. I'm talking about fucking crucifixion folks! Let's bring back crucifixions. A form of capital punishment the Christians and Jews of America can really appreciate."

From "Back in Town."

Which Hicks routine was that from?

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    babykiller

^ I'm just kidding, seriously. I've got much respect for the armed forces.

[tiny] PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!! [/tiny]

It's just like the old days.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

the point at which you are carrying money in a wheelbarrow in order to weigh down the valuable wheelbarrow that somebody might steal for its precious metal is the point at which you can increase anxiety by 50%

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As long as the money keeps rolling into the business we work for

This is the big thing. Whoever is buying from them needs to keep making money, and whoever buys from them, and so on and so forth.

How effected is the global market currently? As I understand it, our customer base is pretty well spread over the whole planet, so that's a plus. Also, it's like the McDonald's thing. We sell really cheap entertainment, so when people can't afford the more expensive stuff, they buy our shit, so it seems like it would take a lot for our business to significantly decline.

Captain Cthulhu on
This discussion has been closed.