Options

[WoW] Mages: Spreadsheets and macros are for warlocks.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blizzard wrote:
    Hey guys, next expansion we want you to CC all the time. *Nerfs the cast time on CC spells to make things more annoying and tedious*
    Great!

forty on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I started playing my mage again. Pew pew fire pew pew. He's 80 with terrible gear. Basically though, living bomb everything, scorch my main target, then go to town with fireballs and hot streak, right?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tried out a frostfire build yesterday, really liking the damage change and mana conservation. Now if only I could stop losing that stupid staff in the pit of saron to fucking healers!

Hmm, after looking it up, that kind of tickles me. I'll have to try it.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wulf wrote: »
    Tried out a frostfire build yesterday, really liking the damage change and mana conservation. Now if only I could stop losing that stupid staff in the pit of saron to fucking healers!

Hmm, after looking it up, that kind of tickles me. I'll have to try it.

I haven't seen a recount and my charater is just in heroic purps, but for heroics its very tasty. And you have good mobility.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I started playing my mage again. Pew pew fire pew pew. He's 80 with terrible gear. Basically though, living bomb everything, scorch my main target, then go to town with fireballs and hot streak, right?

Only scorch bosses, imo. Or gigantic trash mobs like those in ICC 5mans and raids.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Go for seethe in H FoS so you can lose it to paladins and Shriveled Heart in H HoR.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh I'm sure I'll lose more main handers to other classes as I go. That's what happened to my DK.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Blizzard wrote:
    Hey guys, next expansion we want you to CC all the time. *Nerfs the cast time on CC spells to make things more annoying and tedious*
    Great!

2 second casts times are a terrible injustice. Especially compared to 1.5 second cast times.

/nods sagely

For trash? Living Bomb everything, Dragon's Breath, instant free Flamestrike, start scorching. Living Bombs should start going off about now and you should have mad Hot Streak procs.

shryke on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Blizzard wrote:
    Great!

2 second casts times are a terrible injustice. Especially compared to 1.5 second cast times.

/nods sagely

For trash? Living Bomb everything, Dragon's Breath, instant free Flamestrike, start scorching. Living Bombs should start going off about now and you should have mad Hot Streak procs.

Wait, what?

What spec are you playing that you pick up Firestarter? TTW Fire means you can only pick up half of Firestarter if you're willing to forgo Blast Wave/Flame Throwing. Frostfire you could rock it, but it'd be a waste of 3 points you could use picking up Frost Channeling instead. If you only went as far down as Icy Veins or Focus Magic you could use it, but that seems like a waste to me.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, this new toolset patch for the beta makes it so you can't play and stream the data you don't have. Great change, that...and if the FAQ about needing a 1MB/sec connection to use it when it's live is true that's fairly stupid.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The 1.5 second to 2 second cast time thing for CC spells is among the silliest of things to get upset with. OH NO A HALF SECOND LESS TO PEW PEW.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I almost always just pick up half of the threat reduction talents, cause It'll make the tanks job that much more fun (more fun because most of the tanks I run with are either cool friends or assholes, so it does either justice or make it more fun).

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So wow. Yeah, that spec is fun as hell. My paladin friend was laughing his ass off when all the living bombs went off in a huge pull "JESUS DHAV, THE WHOLE WORLD JUST BLEW UP!" :lol:

Wulf on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Blizzard wrote:
    Great!

/nods sagely
    I loves me some slower casting too.

Also, let's do everything we can to make sure casters continue to want nothing but haste.

forty on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure they said CC spells are 2 second base-cast time now BECAUSE of haste making them too fast.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Correct, but that does nothing to downplay the power of haste, and possibly does the opposite since going from a 2.0 second cast to a 1.5 second cast is more powerful than going from a 1.5 second cast to a 1.13 second cast.

It just would have been nice to see a solution to the PvP issue that didn't increase the annoyance in PvE while trying to resolve haste dominance. I think an ideal solution would have been implementing a way to flag spells as unaffected by haste, then putting the CCs in that category.

forty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't see how it increases the annoyance in PvE though. You have to be more aware of your CC or something?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Slower casts are more annoying than faster casts.

forty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't necessarily care or won't care once they're playing. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't necessarily care or won't care once they're playing. <_<

Mostly because a lot of people won't be using their crowd control spells.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Mostly because a lot of people won't be using their crowd control spells.
    Someone's gotta wipe my DF PUGs and make me ragepost, right?

forty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes, that extra 0.5 seconds is A SLAP IN THE FACE!!

Or, you know, it's a fix for PvP that has essentially no effect on PvE because the difference between 2 seconds and 1.5 seconds is like ... nothing.

shryke on
  • Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arcane Mage Trinket question...
    Whats the better combo - Abyssal Rune/DFO OR Muradins Spyglass/DFO? I used RAWR and its giving me some wacky choices. With my gear its also telling me that fire may be a better choice which would be awesome.. LOVE FIRE!.

Sammich on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Or, you know, it's a fix for PvP that has essentially no effect on PvE because the difference between 2 seconds and 1.5 seconds is like ... nothing.
    It's actually 33%.

forty on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's actually 33%.

I think the point was more that casting speed has never really been an issue for CC in instances. It's not like people were stacking haste for the expressed purpose of sheeping faster in PvE before, and they're probably not going to start now.

You'll adjust to a slower cast, and your haste stacking will likely have everything to do with your damaging spells and nothing to do with CC (in PvE at least).

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It's actually 33%.

33% of a small number is still a small number.

Welcome to the world of Math!

The difference between 1.5 second CC and 2 second CC is meaningless in PvE.

shryke on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It is, but again, it's another example of them fiddling for no reason but PvP. I don't see how .5 seconds is going to help people interrupt better, but maybe that's more than it seems in that situation...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Damnit WoW. Just make two versions of spells/abilities! One for Player on Player and one for Player on Mob. Yes, yes, it will make the servers work harder but ffffffff.

Wulf on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it'll lead to an average situation where someone is interrupting a 1.65 cast instead of a 1.1 cast

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it'll lead to an average situation where someone is interrupting a 1.65 cast instead of a 1.1 cast

[Math nerd] How does adding .5 to the base cast add .55 after haste? :P [/Math nerd]
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It is, but again, it's another example of them fiddling for no reason but PvP. I don't see how .5 seconds is going to help people interrupt better, but maybe that's more than it seems in that situation...

Off the top of my head, I do not recall. Are all interrupts off the GCD?

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not additive, because haste's rating will be deflated. Probably even more likely to be going from 1.1 to 1.7 for most of the expansion.

edit: all pure interrupts are off GCD

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So they're going to bump all spells back a bit by dialing back haste? (I haven't been following beta/Cata too intensely)

edit to clarify what I'm asking. I believe what you're saying is that (to throw out a number) Blizz sees casters with 25% haste right now, and would like to see casters reaching 20% haste at this point in the next expansion?

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or less, yeah. All the ratings are being toned down -- and they say they've already figured out ilvls for all the gear in the expansion so they won't end up inflating the quality of the gear as much as they did in Wrath. The expansion was supposed to end around ilvl 245-251, but hardmode gear quickly ruined that.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Danke. Interesting. Themoreyouknow.gif

To return you guys to your topic: Now I'll never bring a mage to the new heroics because his polymorph will never be cast in time :P

Bobble on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    25% haste isn't even very much. You see people with 30, 35, 40% haste at the top tiers. Hell, my 4200 GS Disc Priest has 15% haste, and he's not even stacking it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Woo finally won the engraved femur!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Haste levels are going to be lower in Cataclysm anyway, so the 36% haste people are getting now to make Poly a 1.1 second cast is going to be a much taller order next expansion.
    It's not additive, because haste's rating will be deflated. Probably even more likely to be going from 1.1 to 1.7 for most of the expansion.
    Something like this most likely.
    Or less, yeah. All the ratings are being toned down -- and they say they've already figured out ilvls for all the gear in the expansion so they won't end up inflating the quality of the gear as much as they did in Wrath. The expansion was supposed to end around ilvl 245-251, but hardmode gear quickly ruined that.
    In addition, everyone is losing 3% haste baseline since that raid buff is going away, and some casters are losing passive haste from their talent trees.

forty on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    guys this game is probably going to be pretty good when it comes out

Zek on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blizzard wrote:
    Great!

/nods sagely
    I loves me some slower casting too.

Also, let's do everything we can to make sure casters continue to want nothing but haste.

But but but what about PvP!!!!!!

*Still insists Polymorph needs to heal everything ever*

The Muffin Man on
This discussion has been closed.