[WoW] Mages: Spreadsheets and macros are for warlocks.

1575859606163»

Posts

  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deep Freeze is also fantastically huge damage.

    Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do the Ragnaros quest in hyjall. If you are lucky with the crit, you can potentially see a 1 million point Deep Freeze hit (mine did 998k damage).

    Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

    76561197990097905.png
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am in a similar position to nyht. My girlfriend just hit the min level for heroic but I know nothing about mages other than a few read through on EJ. Is there a calculator I can plug here gear into and see what here dps "should" be at? She's currently fire at the suggestion of a guildy, and like I said just hit level 330. She wants to do better but I have no idea if the dps she is putting out is good or not.

    WingedWeasel on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Picked up an old mage character I had laying around who is at level 70. Decided to spec her into fire cause insta-cast Pyro Blasts sounded like fun.

    I ran two random dungeons earlier and I gotta admit, I'm not really sure what I should be running for a spell rotation. At 70 is fireball still my bread and butter? What or when do I want to throw a scorch into the mix? Do I ever want to cast fireblast during my rotation? What about Frostfire Bolt? I've never had this spell before. I just got it from the class trainer a little bit before I ran the dungeon.

    I've been away from the mage class for over 2 years, so I basically am having to relearn everything again.

    Lucascraft on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Depends.
    If mana is low, or you wanna conserve mana, 5 scorches 2 fireballs is the best. Otherwise just open with it. Fire Blast is only used when Impact procs and you want to spread your Dots around.
    Frostfire Bolt is more a Frost thing nowadays, since talent changes made Frostfire not viable.

    As for Rotation:
    Open with Scorch (cast it while getting into position)
    Living Bomb (generally best not to let it go off, but it's the same GCD whether you refresh it at .3s left or after it explodes)
    Fireball
    Pyroblast as it comes up
    Fire Blast when Impact procs (IF you want dots spreading. If there's too much CC around, don't bother).

    The Muffin Man on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's incorrect regarding Living Bomb, Muffin. You never want to recast LB until it goes off unless for some reason you don't want the AoE. At 70 you can spam fireball and only cast scorch to keep critical mass up. So you only cast it right before the debuff wears off, refresh living bomb when it expires and cast pyroblast! (the free one, versus pyroblast without a !, the not free one) when it Hotstreak procs. At 85, though, you don't have the mana to use fireball near as much, so you spam free scorches a lot to conserve mana then burn with fireball when optimal.

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Why would I have more mana at 70 than 85?

    Lucascraft on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It costs a LOT more to cast spells at 85

    Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That's incorrect regarding Living Bomb, Muffin. You never want to recast LB until it goes off unless for some reason you don't want the AoE. At 70 you can spam fireball and only cast scorch to keep critical mass up. So you only cast it right before the debuff wears off, refresh living bomb when it expires and cast pyroblast! (the free one, versus pyroblast without a !, the not free one) when it Hotstreak procs. At 85, though, you don't have the mana to use fireball near as much, so you spam free scorches a lot to conserve mana then burn with fireball when optimal.

    living bomb ticks for more than the explosion, so on bosses you want to refresh it early.

    also i've done 1.5 million with deep freeze on ozumat. kind of not looking forward to the nerfs in the patch notes...

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't crunched the numbers myself and all that, but if you refresh it early you lose the last tick and yeah, the explosion. Which loses you procs and costs more mana since you're casting it more. These guys get into the math, though I don't know if they're still talking about LB since it was established a long time ago clipping is bad.

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh, the last tick happens at the same time as the explosion?
    i remember reading on ej to refresh before the explosion but whatever, fire is kind of terrible anyway and everyone should play frost

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arcane is terrible! But fire feels kind of like arcane! And frost can't double ice block since the stupid hypothermia change years ago, so they're all terrible! Re-rolling OP Druids is the only answer! TAUREN Druids. Those asses can pick while in flight form AND in half a second!!!

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    but you can double deep freeze

    Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just wait for more updates to the new patch notes. They'll stop that along with all the over PvE nerfs caused by PvP.

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Arcane is terrible! But fire feels kind of like arcane! And frost can't double ice block since the stupid hypothermia change years ago, so they're all terrible! Re-rolling OP Druids is the only answer! TAUREN Druids. Those asses can pick while in flight form AND in half a second!!!

    I actually feel really bad for druids. They are currently in a lull.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That's incorrect regarding Living Bomb, Muffin. You never want to recast LB until it goes off unless for some reason you don't want the AoE. At 70 you can spam fireball and only cast scorch to keep critical mass up. So you only cast it right before the debuff wears off, refresh living bomb when it expires and cast pyroblast! (the free one, versus pyroblast without a !, the not free one) when it Hotstreak procs. At 85, though, you don't have the mana to use fireball near as much, so you spam free scorches a lot to conserve mana then burn with fireball when optimal.

    I was told that the explosion doesn't do as much damage so it's better to refresh it and cut down on time it's not doing damage.

    Might just have been so our mastery's not totally useless every 3 minutes.

    The Muffin Man on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is the proc rate on free pyroblast supposed to be incredibly low? or am I just extremely unlucky? Seems like this thing is never going off.

    And is fire the best spec in terms of dungeon and raid dps? Or is there a better spec?

    Lucascraft on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All your ratings go to crap as you level to 85, so basically: Yeah, it's supposed to be low. Until you get better gear.

    All the specs are comparable more or less and it depends on gear etc etc. Play what you want.

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • XynnXynn Registered User
    edited January 2011
    Its not a proc rate, its when you get 2 crits in a row on a non-periodic spell. But it is very streaky. There are fights where I wont get a single one, and other fights Ive gotten 3 in a row, off of the Pyroblast crits.

    Xynn on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xynn wrote: »
    Its not a proc rate, its when you get 2 crits in a row on a non-periodic spell. But it is very streaky. There are fights where I wont get a single one, and other fights Ive gotten 3 in a row, off of the Pyroblast crits.

    I'd forgotten until he mentioned it, but doesn't the first point in Hot Streak now change it so you now proc instant pyro instead of Arcane missiles or something? (and then the next 2 provide the normal functionality of 2 crits -> Pyro!)

    Of course, the whole 'spells proc arcane missiles' thing was a boat I missed entirely.

    Bobble on
  • XehalusXehalus lofi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if Deathwing will be immune to fire spells.

    Xehalus on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Xynn wrote: »
    Its not a proc rate, its when you get 2 crits in a row on a non-periodic spell. But it is very streaky. There are fights where I wont get a single one, and other fights Ive gotten 3 in a row, off of the Pyroblast crits.

    I'd forgotten until he mentioned it, but doesn't the first point in Hot Streak now change it so you now proc instant pyro instead of Arcane missiles or something? (and then the next 2 provide the normal functionality of 2 crits -> Pyro!)

    Of course, the whole 'spells proc arcane missiles' thing was a boat I missed entirely.

    Yes.

    And there's no way Deathwing will be immune to any school. They thankfully did away with that mechanic a long time ago.

    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • HenroidHenroid Seize the Memes Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I wonder if Deathwing will be immune to fire spells.

    If this was vanilla WoW or Dungeons & Dragons, yes, he would be.

    Henroid on
    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream at night - /henroidt on Twitch
This discussion has been closed.