As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Mages: Spreadsheets and macros are for warlocks.

• Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    your glyph is pretty useless

get evo or ice barrier instead

frost warding sucks, hardly anything procs it on a regular basis. fill out piercing ice instead.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    your glyph is pretty useless

get evo or ice barrier instead

frost warding sucks, hardly anything procs it on a regular basis. fill out piercing ice instead.

Whoa, those changes + Water Elemental + Heavy use of all my cooldowns = excellent times.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would drop permafrost down to 1/3 and maybe take points out of ice flows and cold as ice, then fill out fingers of frost and put some points in precision and arctic winds.

I have a feeling brain freeze kinda sucks until you get frostfire bolt, so after that fill in whatever to open up chilled to the bone and finally deep freeze. Enduring winter is good for grouping.

Since you do a lot of dungeons you might want to use mage armor + the glyph, or the perma pet glyph. Try to get a little +hit rating to go along with the hit from precision.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brain Freeze is actually not bad for leveling even before FFB. FFB doesn't hit that much harder anyway, and an occasional free (and instant) fireball helps fight downtime.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, I was thinking FFB benefits from your frost talents, whereas fireball doesn't. For level 50 dungeons I'd take enduring winter first for the replenishment effect, but the free fireball is nice for soloing since you'll probably finish off whatever you are fighting with the proc.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Doesn't the permapet glyph removes the pet's freeze ability?
    That ability is way too good to lose.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's the tradeoff. I'd only use it for instance groups. Between the other pet glyph and various talents you can get the pet up about half the time, iirc.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'd take enduring winter first no matter what, soloing or otherwise, since replenishment helps a lot either way, especially if you're not using mage armor.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    forty wrote: »
    I'd take enduring winter first no matter what, soloing or otherwise, since replenishment helps a lot either way, especially if you're not using mage armor.

I can't trade anything for EW yet, though, i'm only 50.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AcXenAcXen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oghulk wrote: »
    frost pvp is terrible now, between the 10% snare nerf, loss of frostbite, loss of dispel protection, gutting of shatter, and imp CoC being on the same DR as shattered barrier

can't decide between blazing speed or imp CoC for arcane subspec, your thoughts gentlemen?
    Frost had damn well better be in line with arcane and fire for raids with the way its control has been nerfed.

I can't get to a talent site now. What's the current Shatter like?

Just finished testing all 3 PvE specs out right now and frost is above the others by a LOT.

Frost peaked at 9k.
    Arcane sat around 6.6k
    Fire sat between 5 and 6.5k.

Frost is without using Deep Freeze cause the spell just stuns the heroic training dummy instead of dealing the 20kish damage it's supposed to. Yeah, frost is insane!

E: And with glyphs not working/unable to get any new ones, I have zero dps glyphs for Frost and Fire.

I'd like to know what your rotation was for Arc and Fire, and what your gear is looking like on the PTR. I just don't see Frost being that much higher than Arc or Fire. More in line with them, yes, but not roughly 2.5k above them. I'd love for that to be the case because I was always a PvE frost mage prior to Wrath, but from everything I've seen so far Frost still won't peak above the other two reliably enough to warrant it above the others.

AcXen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New thread title brings up the thing I noticed most about the latest beta build. Hot streak once again procs from pyroblast. Will it stick? Who the fuck knows.

There's also a general spell-power boost for arcane and fire going on. Oh, and Critical Mass got buffed.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AcXen wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    frost pvp is terrible now, between the 10% snare nerf, loss of frostbite, loss of dispel protection, gutting of shatter, and imp CoC being on the same DR as shattered barrier

can't decide between blazing speed or imp CoC for arcane subspec, your thoughts gentlemen?
    Frost had damn well better be in line with arcane and fire for raids with the way its control has been nerfed.

I can't get to a talent site now. What's the current Shatter like?

Just finished testing all 3 PvE specs out right now and frost is above the others by a LOT.

Frost peaked at 9k.
    Arcane sat around 6.6k
    Fire sat between 5 and 6.5k.

Frost is without using Deep Freeze cause the spell just stuns the heroic training dummy instead of dealing the 20kish damage it's supposed to. Yeah, frost is insane!

E: And with glyphs not working/unable to get any new ones, I have zero dps glyphs for Frost and Fire.

I'd like to know what your rotation was for Arc and Fire, and what your gear is looking like on the PTR. I just don't see Frost being that much higher than Arc or Fire. More in line with them, yes, but not roughly 2.5k above them. I'd love for that to be the case because I was always a PvE frost mage prior to Wrath, but from everything I've seen so far Frost still won't peak above the other two reliably enough to warrant it above the others.

My gear on the PTR is the same on live: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arthas&cn=Oghulk

And I did consider rotation to be an issue, so I changed up arcane a bit and it was around 7.5kish when using different rotations relative to mana. Haven't really tried fire since then though, so it just seems to be really clunky when I play it.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So is there a reason Fireball is still available from Brain Freeze? I have it on my keybinds for when I don't have a freeze handy, but Frost Specialization suggests FFB will hit harder than fireball in Cata.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FFB hits pretty hard, been getting 14k crits with it on tests, and now it'll be useful to use the glyph that makes it a dot since the chill effect from it doesn't proc FoF anymore.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is there a reason Fireball is still available from Brain Freeze? I have it on my keybinds for when I don't have a freeze handy, but Frost Specialization suggests FFB will hit harder than fireball in Cata.

You get brain freeze at 37, frostfire bolt at 75.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So why not just have FFB at level 30 then...?

:|

In any event, everyone rejoice at the return of 70% Cone of Cold.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And the further nerfing of the already pretty bad Curtain of Frost!

Do they even want us to use this fucking spell?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Curtain of Frost is awesome now. It's an instant frost trap that does ludicrous amounts of damage to anyone in it.

WTB Icy Veins that can be specced into for arcane or fire, PST. :<

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    daggahdaggah Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone on the beta? Can anyone confirm yay or nay whether Polymorph: Turtle is straight-up trainable?

daggah on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll go check, one moment please...I forgot...and it seems not, but then my mage already has it and the new mage I just rolled isn't showing rabbit either. So hmm's. To the trainer! Which unsurprisingly list the same stuff as the spellbook. So it seems I probably have both on live and forgot Rabbit :P Yep.

So only sheep is trainable still it seems.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can anyone confirm Pyroblast has been renamed to Pyroblast!?

Henroid on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here is my 83-page dissertation as to why this change is a slap to the face:

Monsty on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When I get home I'll get right on that? (Assuming the change is supposed to be on Beta anyway)

Dranyth on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i haven't logged in to verify, but hot streak is also named Pyroblast! so i am going to guess that boub fucked up on the datamining

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, I couldn't check when I was home, the beta servers were down. Meant to post that. I'm out right now, my netbook doesn't have the Beta client on it.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    daggahdaggah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'll go check, one moment please...I forgot...and it seems not, but then my mage already has it and the new mage I just rolled isn't showing rabbit either. So hmm's. To the trainer! Which unsurprisingly list the same stuff as the spellbook. So it seems I probably have both on live and forgot Rabbit :P Yep.

So only sheep is trainable still it seems.

Score.

(in three months)

WTS Tome of Polymorph Turtle - 10k gold!

:D

daggah on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh right, ZG isn't going to be a raid anymore.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm Pyroblast has been renamed to Pyroblast!?

I finally just got onto Beta again, I didn't see Pyroblast! referenced anywhere. The spell is still just Pyroblast, Hot Streak is still Hot Streak and the Hot Streak proc is still called Hot Streak. So no idea where he got that.

Late Edit:

As an aside, Fire leveling feels pretty awesome on Beta right at the moment... I'm curious how much that's going to drastically drop as level gains above 80 drop my combat ratings to nothing...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    New-new curtain of frost is kinda... well.

10s polymorph ----> 10s AOE frost trap ---> B)

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warning: Use of Fire Spec in 4.0.1 has been know to cause the spontaneous combustion of (and/or IN) the user's pants. Players are advised to either play another class, or bring reinforced, flame-retardant pants and possibly lay down plastic to protect the furniture.

Bobble on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, what does that mean? Does the spec blow or something? Is Frost still OP?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Story time: Heroic ToC. My mage's gear is maybe 220 average item level (nice little addition to the character pane btw). Thanks to a well timed series of crits->Impact proc->Combustion->Fire blast->Blastwave during phase 2, I pulled 10k DPS on the Black Knight.

Also, with that not-exactly-top-of-the-line gear, I've topped out at 17999 on a Pyro crit. Those don't get old very quickly.

Bobble on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what is the rotation for Fire now? I'm throwing some bombs around, some scorches then spamming fireball until stuff procs. Maybe a flamestrike or the new improved blast.
    Sound about right?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sounds pretty reasonable, though with the BW/FS combo talent, I took FS off my keybinds. Thus far I've tried to be judicious with the AoE, but with LB and Impact it's tough not to cause collateral damage.

Putting fireblast into the rotation may be worthwhile (almost certainly if there's a time when you have to move) since impact procs reset the CD. It'll require math to figure out, but with the tier-1 talent, it should have just as much crit (within 1% rather) of fireball and only cost a GCD compared to ~2s. It's probably a slim difference, but it may be worth trying to fish for HS procs.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Frost magi are dumb.

Fifteen thousand Ice Lance crits.

The tears taste pretty great.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are mages hampered by magic resist stacking at all? In PvP at least.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are mages hampered by magic resist stacking at all? In PvP at least.

Serious arena pvpers? Not really, since 120 spellpen is standard. Your average BG hero will cry at having his counterspells and stuff resisted though.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So Blizzard apparently realized/agreed that 2 second CCs was stupid, because they're down to 1.7 in the next beta patch. 8-)

There was some damage spell that they also made faster by like .3 seconds (Starfire or something like it), so apparently Blizzard has figured out after 6 years that they can make spells with cast times that aren't multiples of 0.5 if they want.

forty on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, can't say this is too surprising, but it's so not surprising I don't see how it went live either:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27187856197/class-balance-as-of-oct-13-2010/

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Apparently arcane mages hitting for 40k is working as intended because Blizzard thinks only fire is doing too much right now.

forty on
This discussion has been closed.