Options

The TV Thread: Holiday 2010 has ALREADY begun!

• Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Taximes wrote: »
    So, I've been loving the picture quality on my new plasma, but I'm a still bit worried about image retention. To what degree is it expected/normal? I've started noticing that it seems to show up almost immediately (not over top of other content, but on blank screens).

I used the screenwipe to flush everything out, then tuned to a blank input channel with all the lights off. Even bringing up the menu for just a second, I can see a ghost left behind afterward. Heck, the "No Input" message slides around the screen, so it's not even static, but I can see a ghosted trail of its path.

Obviously this doesn't interfere with normal usage in anyway since it's only visible in the dark on an all black screen, but is it indicative of the set's general image retention resilience? I've been avoiding static-image gaming and letterboxing for break-in, but now I'm kinda nervous about ever displaying them if just a second of the menu leaves faint IR. This is about 120 hours into break-in.
    I've got an A series Samsung plasma from last year, and IR is out of control with it. What you describe with yours sounds exactly like mine. Even the most reluctant personal testimonies from B series owners suggest that it hasn't gotten any better this year, and I've confirmed it on at least three separate display units. They've made strides elsewhere, but IR is just as bad.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    You can get an IR dongle for the PS3 for pretty cheap, but you can't turn the PS3 on and off with the remote.
    You can also get a Harmony remote for fairly cheap, just not a One.

Yeah. I picked up a BluWave for $15. Plug in the dongle, toss the remote, and add the BluWave as a component on your Harmony configuration page. 90% of the time I'm using the PS3, I'm getting up to stick a game/movie anyway, and if I'm playing a game, I at least have to grab a controller. And you can use the remote to power down, you just can't power up.

That said, I haven't found a way to get the Harmony to mimic some of the more obscure remote functions, like subtitles and audio track switching, so I have to do those things the long way (via menu navigation). Still not a huge deal.

An extra $45 just to not have to get up to turn on the PS3 that last 10% of the time isn't worth it for me. It's conceptually cool, though. Except the part where I have yet another cord snaking down to the power strip. It doesn't need to attach to the PS3 though, right? It's blue-tooth, so you can just stick it wherever?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    chasm wrote: »
    Edit: And is a PS3 still the best bet for a Blu-Ray player? I found a few pure players that started at $150, but then some that look exactly the same going for $550.

IMO, yes. It's also one of the best upscaling players on the market.

It's no longer the best bang for the buck (used to be that it was both the best AND the cheapest), but it's still a steal at $400. Picture quality will rival anything that's not high-end (like, $1000+), audio quality is great (though it can't output Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA as bitstream, instead insisting on doing the decoding internally, so you can't choose to let your receiver do the decoding for those formats - if you care), and you never have to worry about out-of-date firmware versions as long as you have it connected to the 'net. That last one used to be a huge boon, since BD standards were changing every goddamned week, but it's still a nice perk.

One great advantage of the PS3 is that it's speedy as fuck - most BD players take forever to start up a film. Like, 1-2 minutes or more, just to boot the fucking disk. PS3 contains a nice little supercomputer, though, so it loads in maybe 30 seconds, if you have it set to autoplay. (Faster for regular DVDs.) Plus, if you ever want to game on it, there you go.

I've played a total of 4 games on my PS3 since I bought it, but I used it as a movie player pretty much daily. If you want something entry-level, you can find competent players at $250 or so. But if you can swing an extra $150, snatch up a PS3.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I've played a total of 4 games on my PS3 since I bought it, but I used it as a movie player pretty much daily. If you want something entry-level, you can find competent players at $250 or so. But if you can swing an extra $150, snatch up a PS3.

Never thought about it, but same here. I've only played four games on it since I bought it over a year ago, but it sees daily use as a media machine.

And yeah, Jeffe is right...even with the newest BluRay players, it takes what feels like forever to load up, while the PS3 will be at the menu screen within 20-30 seconds. That, plus the fact that you can stream media to it along with being able to play movies/music/pictures from a flash drive or USB portable drive makes the extra outlay worth it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    chasm wrote: »
    And yeah, Jeffe is right...
    The only thing he hasn't been right about was his initial trepidation for buying a Harmony. But we got that settled right quick.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Harmony = joy

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I find myself making excuses to watch TV just so I can use the Harmony more.

The woman and I have this power struggle going on, over who gets to hold the remote. It's just so advanced compared to the cluster of 5 remotes we used to have littering the living room, everyone wants to be a couch commando!

xzzy on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So for the longest time (as some as you can recall) I've been wanting to get a new tv and originally wanted a sammy lcd. I had to wait on it due to wallet restraints and its got me thinking about just getting a plasma since I'll get more inches (:winky:) per dollar that way.

Anyway, I've been looking at the panasonic g10 series but I've been troubled by some of the phosphorus ghosting issues on some of the panasonics, i.e.:

awful greens

Anyone here have a g10 and notice this?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a thread on AVS forums about that issue. The video the guy made wasn't as noticeable as this one...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Apparently it's a plasma issue in general, which is less noticeable depending on the light conditions, contrast settings, and age of the tv.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Apparently it's a plasma issue in general, which is less noticeable depending on the light conditions, contrast settings, and age of the tv.

as in.. happens less or more as it ages?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    So, like, plasmas just tend to have fluorescent green shit pop up on your screen? I've never noticed this on any plasmas I've seen before (not that I've studied them in detail). How frequent is it? Because really, fuck that.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aging shouldn't affect ghosting. I'm interested in that posted video (I'm at work, bandwidth sites are blocked). Ghosting is supposed to be a dead issue...I personally never noticed it even a year or so ago when plasmas and LCDs were still competing for shelf space and it was easy to compare. And when I mean dead issue I don't mean like burn-in where it's really hard to do but can still happen. One of the pros of plasma is their lack of issues with ghosting and motion versus LCDs that still have to use things like interpolation to make up for themselves.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited May 2009

as in.. happens less or more as it ages?
    Some people claim that it happens less at the panel ages, though, even at the AVS forums, I haven't seen anyone provide anything substantial to back it up. It's a plasma-inherent characteristic and I've seen it on every panel I've ever looked at.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's because green is a "slower" color. It's the last to appear and disappear. It's not usually as apparent as in those videos, and in fact the videos are probably set up to exaggerate it for demonstration purposes.

The thing about it fading over time is simply because the luminosity decreases as the tv ages. I've seen anecdotal reports of people not seeing it after a few months, but that could just be because they no longer notice it.

Also I'm thinking about getting the 42" (or 50" since my fiance says okay, but I'll have to wait and measure when I move) Panasonic Plasma S1 or X1. The difference is resolution and $200, but looking up reviews I can't see much of a notable difference. The power consumption reduction is what turned me on to the S1, although looking up the estimated cost difference for the amount of power used it wasn't significant (about $5). SD content quality review depends on who you ask, and I'm a bit concerned about the lack of being able to more finely tune color/picture settings (although I can't tune them much on my current tv so I suppose I can't complain). My other concern is that Game mode just adjusts the picture, not the processing. Although considering the refresh of the tv that shouldn't be an issue, I'm hoping someone can step in with some better info.

Note that it will probably be 2 months before I purchase anything, if that matters for things coming down the pipe.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guy on craigslist near me is selling a Samsung 40" LN40B530P7F for $725, he says its new in box and he won it at a raffel and he doesnt need it.

Searching for this pruduct listing number all I get is "Samsung 2009 lineup leaked" nothing about the actual product that I can find.

So, what kind of deal is this?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Get rid of the P7F.

Here and Here.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    The thing about it fading over time is simply because the luminosity decreases as the tv ages. I've seen anecdotal reports of people not seeing it after a few months, but that could just be because they no longer notice it.
    I think you're spot-on there. Everything I've seen has been anecdotal as well, which is fine. We all perceive green phosphor lag to varying degrees simply because our eyes are different. Some people can't see it at all, but even those of us who can really don't notice it in all but extreme cases, and the idea that it diminishes over time is really just an interpretation of plasma owners accepting, adjusting, and moving on. You might say that its effect diminishes with age.

Theoretically, if, over time, the other phosphors actually slowed down, then they would all decay more closely in unison, which would lessen the effect, but I have no idea if that actually happens.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also I'm thinking about getting the 42" (or 50" since my fiance says okay, but I'll have to wait and measure when I move) Panasonic Plasma S1 or X1. The difference is resolution and $200, but looking up reviews I can't see much of a notable difference. The power consumption reduction is what turned me on to the S1, although looking up the estimated cost difference for the amount of power used it wasn't significant (about $5). SD content quality review depends on who you ask, and I'm a bit concerned about the lack of being able to more finely tune color/picture settings (although I can't tune them much on my current tv so I suppose I can't complain). My other concern is that Game mode just adjusts the picture, not the processing. Although considering the refresh of the tv that shouldn't be an issue, I'm hoping someone can step in with some better info.

Note that it will probably be 2 months before I purchase anything, if that matters for things coming down the pipe.

I would ask yourself how long you plan on owning the TV, and how much impact that extra $200 will have on your life that far down the line. But I always tend to buy big and then use it forever. So for me, the S1 would be an obvious choice over the X1. From what I gather the X1 really isn't much different than last year's models (lacking the neo-PDP, better contrast, etc of newer lines). As far as things coming down the pipe, the only things I think we have yet to see are the high-end lines. The 1" wireless Panasonic is coming this Summer, as is the local-dimming LED 9000 series from Samsung. Both will be ungodly expensive. The Panasonic V10 is also coming out, but if I remember correctly it's nothing more than a G10 with deep color support.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-samsung-ln46a850-46-inch-1080p-120hz-lcd-tv-deals/1565

That is ridiculous. $1400 for that TV is stupidly cheap. For comparison, all the used offerings on Amazon are that price. Cheapest new on there is $1800. If you're anywhere close to that budget, and don't have any strong inclinations to go plasma, get that TV.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-samsung-ln46a850-46-inch-1080p-120hz-lcd-tv-deals/1565

That is ridiculous. $1400 for that TV is stupidly cheap. For comparison, all the used offerings on Amazon are that price. Cheapest new on there is $1800. If you're anywhere close to that budget, and don't have any strong inclinations to go plasma, get that TV.

:shock:

Holy balls thats nice.

Goddamn.. i'm like days away from knowing my financial situation for the next year... Goddammit.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I saw a Toshiba 40 inch 1080p for 700 bucks on sale today... the screen looks pretty damn good.

Where does Toshiba rank in terms of quality?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait a little bit. Some of our larger models at Walmart dropped by ~$200 today. This one is now $628 at my store. And two of the bad reviews on that page are horseshit...read them and you'll see what I mean.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a samsung DLP and I've noticed the last two times I tried to watch it with the lights off the color shifts dramatically during viewing. it may be happening with the lights on but I can't tell for sure. (edit - I realize this may sound silly but I figured I should mention any and every difference in the room when I see it happening.)

it seems to happen in scenes where the camera moves and sets again, so I assume it's something where the lighting is changing and the tv... I don't know, can't handle it or tries to correct it or something. that's purely a guess though, I honestly don't know what could cause it which is why I'm posting here.

anyone have any ideas?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I saw a Toshiba 40 inch 1080p for 700 bucks on sale today... the screen looks pretty damn good.

Toshiba ranks pretty high, usually next to Sony and Panasonic, and many reviewers consider current line of Regza's best choice in 500-1200 price range. Very good picture quality, minimal lag, and solid upscaling for SD-content make it very good choice. Depth of black and viewing angle could be better, but otherwise they are very good choices. It is also worth noticing that you can't get audio pass-through from component source with Regza, which can be problematic depending on your setup.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I have a samsung DLP and I've noticed the last two times I tried to watch it with the lights off the color shifts dramatically during viewing. it may be happening with the lights on but I can't tell for sure. (edit - I realize this may sound silly but I figured I should mention any and every difference in the room when I see it happening.)

it seems to happen in scenes where the camera moves and sets again, so I assume it's something where the lighting is changing and the tv... I don't know, can't handle it or tries to correct it or something. that's purely a guess though, I honestly don't know what could cause it which is why I'm posting here.

anyone have any ideas?

Your TV probably tries to adjust background light automatically depending on the scene. It is feature that doesn't usually work, and I personally find it goddamn annoying. You should be able to set it off from the settings. Consult your manual.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Toshiba isn't Westinghouse, but I would call it a stretch to rank them up there with Sony and Panasonic. If you're looking to save money on LCDs I'd probably recommend a Vizio unless you just can't live without your SD content, which is the Toshiba's only true shining star. I'll change my tune on this though if those local-dimming LEDs Toshiba's putting out this year are worth anything...they're much cheaper than the competition on that feature. The TV I'm talking about is the REGZA SV670, and Toshiba's site has it listed for release this month.

Scrublet on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

Toshiba ranks pretty high, usually next to Sony and Panasonic, and many reviewers consider current line of Regza's best choice in 500-1200 price range. Very good picture quality, minimal lag, and solid upscaling for SD-content make it very good choice. Depth of black and viewing angle could be better, but otherwise they are very good choices. It is also worth noticing that you can't get audio pass-through from component source with Regza, which can be problematic depending on your setup.

Which will be very minimal. They've also got a 42" LG with a 5ms response time for $800. I might get on that. I can't actually buy until next week. Hopefully the sales last, or are replaced with lolmermorialday sales.

My price limit is pretty much 800-850 before tax. If anyone can point me towards a good sale that will be around for Memorial day I will be all over it.

I really have no requirements in terms of connectors, etc... I have no sound hardware, DVR's, etc... probably just going to get that and a PS3 down the road to double as a DVD player.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »

anyone have any ideas?

Your TV probably tries to adjust background light automatically depending on the scene. It is feature that doesn't usually work, and I personally find it goddamn annoying. You should be able to set it off from the settings. Consult your manual.

It's called a dynamic iris, and pretty much all non-plasma HDTVs use them to artificially bump their contrast ratios from 1:3000-ish to 1:25000-ish.

When well implemented, it's great - I never notice any issues on my Sony LCoS. But yeah, if it's not well-implemented, it's distracting. I was under the impression that most non-shit newer televisions had the problems licked, but maybe not.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Which will be very minimal. They've also got a 42" LG with a 5ms response time for $800. I might get on that. I can't actually buy until next week. Hopefully the sales last, or are replaced with lolmermorialday sales.

My price limit is pretty much 800-850 before tax. If anyone can point me towards a good sale that will be around for Memorial day I will be all over it.

I really have no requirements in terms of connectors, etc... I have no sound hardware, DVR's, etc... probably just going to get that and a PS3 down the road to double as a DVD player.

Check out slickdeals.net forums and click on the little video icon.

Stay away from the 42" Westinghouse for $550-642 posts.

In other news, Westinghouse told me today that they have found a 42" replacement monitor for me...again. I guess this means I have to find a way to recycle the old monitor myself. Looks like Best Buy takes TV's for free....if they are under 32"

Anyone know where I can find a recycler for this thing?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hopefully I can turn it off. thanks guys.

I did notice it wasn't as apparent when I sat up more so maybe I was just at a bad angle. still it's terrible when I notice it so I'll try and get it gone.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hmmm. I have an option called 'dynamic contrast' that I can turn off where as right now it's on high. the only thing I can find that I can imagine is doing this, nothing else seems related.

edit - well now I don't even see it happening. I'll report back if I see it again and try something. thanks for the help guys.

edit2 - I think that did it. I think I was seeing it, not quite as obvious as the other night but I didn't feel like searching through lots of movies til I saw it. but now I'm quite certain it has stopped. thanks again.

edit3 - I'm pretty sure it's still happening. going to try googling around.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What's the actual model number of this DLP you're trying to deal with?

Scrublet on

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok so my Dad has been looking into buying a new 52" TV since his old rear projection is getting washed out. The only options we have at the moment are Future Shop or Costco. I read the OP and have a rough idea on how to avoid getting fucked he is trusting me with his decision but I am just as clueless. So I turn yo you wonderful gents.

This is the one we are looking at (I forgot how to do URL link) http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010099949&catid=

If it's a good deal we will take it. If not well then what are some tips for a good TV or does the OP give me anything I can really get.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok so my Dad has been looking into buying a new 52" TV since his old rear projection is getting washed out. The only options we have at the moment are Future Shop or Costco. I read the OP and have a rough idea on how to avoid getting fucked he is trusting me with his decision but I am just as clueless. So I turn yo you wonderful gents.

This is the one we are looking at (I forgot how to do URL link) http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010099949&catid=

If it's a good deal we will take it. If not well then what are some tips for a good TV or does the OP give me anything I can really get.

You gotta give us a little bit more than that. Is cost the prime driver, or image quality? I converted that cost to $1350 USD and that's not too bad for a 52" Samsung, but the 550s definitely not fantastic by any means. But if you go look at it and it looks good to you guys then pick it up.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Good television, and pretty good price. It only has 2 HDMI inputs in back, which may be insufficient, depending on what he has going on. If he only has 2 components that use HDMI, or if he has a receiver to handle it all (though I'm suspecting he doesn't), then he's fine. It's also only 60Hz, which means it can't do frame interpolation (which some people don't like anyway), and it also can't play BD content without judder (which is unambiguously a negative, though he might not care much). You need a 120Hz TV for those things, which will run a couple hundred dollars more (based on poking around Best Buy's site).

Might want to go to avsforums and search for any known issues with the Samsung's 550 series, but it'd probably be a solid television at a good price.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, wait, that was Canadian dollars? Okay, it's a great price, then. Still only a good television. Not low-end, but it won't compete with the better mid-range televisions. Compared to a RPTV, though, it'll look like digital sex.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Since he already has a rear projection, and is possibly okay with something 13'' deep, consider buying an LED DLP from Samsung.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+dlp+led&x=0&y=0
    Best size for your dollar.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Damn, those things are sexy.

I hope that LED DLPs don't get discontinued before a couple years pass and I can convince the wife we need a bigger TV.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Good television, and pretty good price. It only has 2 HDMI inputs in back, which may be insufficient, depending on what he has going on. If he only has 2 components that use HDMI, or if he has a receiver to handle it all (though I'm suspecting he doesn't), then he's fine. It's also only 60Hz, which means it can't do frame interpolation (which some people don't like anyway), and it also can't play BD content without judder (which is unambiguously a negative, though he might not care much). You need a 120Hz TV for those things, which will run a couple hundred dollars more (based on poking around Best Buy's site).

Might want to go to avsforums and search for any known issues with the Samsung's 550 series, but it'd probably be a solid television at a good price.

He just wants it for regular Television and well the occasional movie. I know he will plan on buying a HD receiver and there should only be a DVD player hooked up also, I don't think he wants to drop the money for Blue Ray. I think since its a great price he will probably be leaning toward it more. I think we are going out tonight and looking so Ill check it out since they have it on Display.

Thanks!

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.