Options

[4E DnD Discussion] H1 and DnD quickstart rules for free from Wizards!

• Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found the assassin-esque paragon path for the avenger interesting (forget the name of it). Usually assassins and honorable religious warrior dudes are mutually exclusive in these settings, but DnD went ahead and put them together and it wound up being delicious.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just realized that I need to use the abbey on the nentir vale map as a secret avenger training ground that gets besieged

The huge bugbear chieftain walks in and backhands the old abbot headfirst into the altar...the old guy's sitting there with blood pouring out of his smashed nose.

Bugbear: "What do you have to say for yourself?"
    Abbot: "AVENGEEERRSSS...ASSEMBLE!"

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arcane Power Feat Preview

It's fucking awesome.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    I found the assassin-esque paragon path for the avenger interesting (forget the name of it). Usually assassins and honorable religious warrior dudes are mutually exclusive in these settings, but DnD went ahead and put them together and it wound up being delicious.

In my case, I had a hard time understanding the flavor of the Avenger until I started thinking of them as akin to the historical (well, quasi-historical) Assassins - instead of the modern connotation of assassin as a sneaky killer who never gets caught, imagining them as dogged, divinely-inspired fanatics.

edit: lol@Mike

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, Arcane Fury and Elven Arcane Precision are nice.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Vestige Adept Warlock, Vestige Pact Change your vestige after pact boon is triggered

So apparently they're adding a new Pact for warlocks as well. Wonder what it is.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't be the only one that noticed you can now dual wield wands. :P

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Maddoc wrote: »

TSI|Awesome and I have been talking about for a while.

I have to wonder if they did get that idea from Gabe :P

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like this one:
    Draconic Spellcaster Dragonborn, any arcane class +1 to attacks that have same damage type as your breath weapon

It encourages you to be thematic about your spells rather than just being a guy who throws around arcane energy/fire/ice/acid/etc indiscriminately.

I wonder how that would work for Sorcerer spells with a random damage type, though.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Did anyone notice the feat that gives cold vulnerability when you use a fire attack.

That gave me a bit of a WTF.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

First witchalocks, now this... Grimm shadow beckons

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the feat that gives cold vulnerability when you use a fire attack.

C-c-c-combos! I think it's great. I'd like to see a few more feats like it.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

My guess its to counter the bonuses for only picking (for example) fire spells (for astral fire) and allow people to experiment whilst maintaining efficiency

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Incidentally, Dual Wands used to be a pretty viable setup via Eberron stuff.

My Artificer used to do horrible things on a regular basis with a pair of Wands of Scorching Ray.

The timing right after the Witchalok preview is pretty funny however.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Next up, a magical item: The Triple Wand Claws.
    With these, you can take it to the limit.

Arkan on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arcane Reserves sounds muchos strong. (+2 dmg with at-wills when no encounter powers left, human, arcane)
    Reckless Curse sounds great too. I love hitting things and hate missing them with my Warlock. (+1 to attack against cursed creats)

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Love the feat which lets Eladrin use a longsword as an implement.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    one of the very amusing things about 4e that i like is that humans seem to consistently have some of the best racial feats

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Humans are still a bit weaker than any other races, all things considered. Extra at-will is nice but usually not quite as good as a racial encounter power, and losing out on 2 to a stat is pretty strong in a system where magic items no longer give stat boosts.

EDIT: that is, prior to their awesome racial feats, that help bring them and Half-Elves up in line with the other races a bit better.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    one of the very amusing things about 4e that i like is that humans seem to consistently have some of the best racial feats

The human feats are good enough that I really, really, really have to think twice before picking another race. Action Surge has made the difference more times than I can count.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pony wrote: »

The human feats are good enough that I really, really, really have to think twice before picking another race. Action Surge has made the difference more times than I can count.

I just like the fact you see a lot more racial diversity in general. I do see a fair number of humans, but that makes sense really and in the end, if they party isn't all mono-Elves anymore I'm all for it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys. Would you say it's even feasible to build a ranged-oriented rogue? Rogues are sweet and all, but I'm tired of all rogues being ninjas, jumping around all willy-nilly. I want to be the guy in the darkness picking people off with crossbow bolts through the skull.

I wanna make a fancy guy who wears glasses, smokes a pipe, wears dress clothes, and enjoys a rich clean lifestyle. No need to get your hands dirty. Though of course the real money is in shady business and business often goes wrong. And often you need to make a few people disappear to make a point.

You know, a real mafioso type. A hitman. Like the Sorter scene from Revolver, but still sufficiently fantasy. Cool. Calculated. All business when needed.
    Why not make a ranger, you say? His flavor is completely wrong. Maybe if I renamed every power and ability it could be flavorful, but not in the current state. I don't want my guy to be a tree-hugging hippy. Nothing to do with nature. Why would a professional killer like that be hanging around with a group of sword-wielding maniacs killing kobolds? Well, I'm still thinking about that haha.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys. Would you say it's even feasible to build a ranged-oriented rogue?

Yes. Distant Advantage has opened up a lot of options for this.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    Hey guys. Would you say it's even feasible to build a ranged-oriented rogue? Rogues are sweet and all, but I'm tired of all rogues being ninjas, jumping around all willy-nilly. I want to be the guy in the darkness picking people off with crossbow bolts through the skull.

I wanna make a fancy guy who wears glasses, smokes a pipe, wears dress clothes, and enjoys a rich clean lifestyle. No need to get your hands dirty. Though of course the real money is in shady business and business often goes wrong. And often you need to make a few people disappear to make a point.

You know, a real mafioso type. A hitman. Like the Sorter scene from Revolver, but still sufficiently fantasy. Cool. Calculated. All business when needed.
    Why not make a ranger, you say? His flavor is completely wrong. Maybe if I renamed every power and ability it could be flavorful, but not in the current state. I don't want my guy to be a tree-hugging hippy. Nothing to do with nature. Why would a professional killer like that be hanging around with a group of sword-wielding maniacs killing kobolds? Well, I'm still thinking about that haha.

It's completely feasible. Quite possibly also awesome. Just don't do what I did, which is try and emulate solid snake and run around with a hand crossbow and a dagger. You will quickly find that given the option, the dagger is going to win most of the time. I'd really recommend doing superior crossbow. Also, pick a race that bumps con and cha. you're going to want steady shooter at paragon and that takes a 15 con, so you'd be doing 18 in dex, 13 in cha, 13 in con base, which gets bumped to 18 dex, 15 cha, 15 con. Which basically means half-elf and hobgoblin, goblin if your dm will let you use a small superior crossbow that does 1d8 and just glosses over the whole small creatures can't use 2-handed weapons thing.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played a ranged Rogue for a bit, and it's perfectly viable. Especially with Martial Power, lots of great new ranged powers in there for Rogues. And Distant Advantage in PHB2 is a must now. Barring that, you can always get skill focus Stealth, and Fleeting Ghost: run into cover - stealth check - Deft Strike. Instant ranged CA.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I'm pretty sure the Eladrin Sword feat has ensured that any future Tactlord or Swordmages I play will be Eladrin.

As for Wizard mainclass though... if I wasn't leaning toward Deva before, I am now.

Deva Wizard can have four dailies and three utilities from each level. It's crazy.

EDIT: Come to think of it, isn't there a feat to swap out your encounter powers after resting as well? I don't have my books with me at the moment.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    It's completely feasible. Quite possibly also awesome. Just don't do what I did, which is try and emulate solid snake and run around with a hand crossbow and a dagger. You will quickly find that given the option, the dagger is going to win most of the time. I'd really recommend doing superior crossbow. Also, pick a race that bumps con and cha. you're going to want steady shooter at paragon and that takes a 15 con, so you'd be doing 18 in dex, 13 in cha, 13 in con base, which gets bumped to 18 dex, 15 cha, 15 con. Which basically means half-elf and hobgoblin, goblin if your dm will let you use a small superior crossbow that does 1d8 and just glosses over the whole small creatures can't use 2-handed weapons thing.

Drow works extremely well, especially at low levels. The cloud of darkness power lets you have a few rounds of combat advantage pretty easily without having to duck around corners. If you start with a 13 con, and are willing to delay steady shooter to epic, you don't even have to bump your constitution, too.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah. Drow Brutal Scoundrel is pretty much the premier ranged Rogue build, not only for so many ways to generate CA, but because Cloud of Darkness synergizes so well with Hide in Plain Sight and Steady Shooter it's ridiculous. (And it's hard to beat the flavor of the hand crossbow, which Drow can bump to d8 high crit, though a superior crossbow is still, well, superior.) They are great at low levels, as Litejedi said, and seriously only get better as they advance.

Distant Advantage helps bridge the gap for other races, but still keeps your targets limited to what your allies are actually flanking (or can even flank at all).

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh Goddammit, work has blocked the Wizards site again.

9 hours until I can see the preview :(

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I'm pretty sure the Eladrin Sword feat has ensured that any future Tactlord or Swordmages I play will be Eladrin.

As for Wizard mainclass though... if I wasn't leaning toward Deva before, I am now.

Deva Wizard can have four dailies and three utilities from each level. It's crazy.

EDIT: Come to think of it, isn't there a feat to swap out your encounter powers after resting as well? I don't have my books with me at the moment.

Reserve Maneuver (sp?) is the feat that lets you switch encounter powers I believe. I'm pretty sure it's Paragon.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Vestige Adept Warlock, Vestige Pact Change your vestige after pact boon is triggered

So apparently they're adding a new Pact for warlocks as well. Wonder what it is.

They did a preview giving out most of the details a few weeks back

MrBeens on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm after some DMing advice re: Keep on the Shadowfell, but also more generally applicable:
    All has gone well so far and the group are ready to enter the Keep. However I notice when they descend those stairs, there's nothing at all to stop them from blundering in the correct direction, heading straight to level 2 and then on to the Big Bad in only three or four encounters. The way I see it options are:

(a) Meta-game unsubtle hinting that these stairs down look particularly dark and menacing.

(b) A magically sealed door and some kind of key maguffin they handily find in their last encounter on level 1.

(c) Redrawing the map on the fly as they explore so they always find the stairs down last no matter what direction they pick.

(d) Just don't worry about it and let them potentially blunder to their under-levelled doom.

I'm currently thinking (b) with a bit of embellishment. There's an encounter designed for when the PCs first return to town in which they receive a fake password for level 2's entrance guards. I may turn that into the password for the magically sealed door to level 2. Still fake of course and have it drop them through a pit straight into the guard encounter if they try to use it.

Thoughts?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    b or c would be the best choices, I think. They're the only ways you definitely avoid the problem of a low-level TPK against Kalarel.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd go with b), because it means the least work and also it's pretty much infallible.

Edit: Not having read anything on the encounter, I don't really know how it would work, but couldn't you have a monster drop the key to the next level, and just have it be the last monster/group they kill?

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arasaki, you should remember how I solved that problem with the Shadowfell Keep (As that is the same map I'm using in my campaign). It's pretty open and easy for the PCs to end up well out of their depth encounter wise if they aren't careful.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah it was Mike Mearls Horseshoe. He is aware of the problems with the double sword, but I'm betting they don't have a neat and simple mechanical solution to it yet. It's probably why it hasn't been fixed just at the moment.

I thought it might've been Mearls.

Yeah, there isn't a way to solve it that doesn't make it too complicated. And to be honest I don't think it "needs" fixing. It's a situational sort of weapon and doesn't strike me as horribly out of whack. Hell, i think the only thing that would get me excited about it is if I was playing a tempest fighter.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arasaki, you should remember how I solved that problem with the Shadowfell Keep (As that is the same map I'm using in my campaign). It's pretty open and easy for the PCs to end up well out of their depth encounter wise if they aren't careful.

I tend to drink on Saturday nights, so it gets blurry. I just remember following people around and hitting things a lot.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Yeah it was Mike Mearls Horseshoe. He is aware of the problems with the double sword, but I'm betting they don't have a neat and simple mechanical solution to it yet. It's probably why it hasn't been fixed just at the moment.

I thought it might've been Mearls.

Yeah, there isn't a way to solve it that doesn't make it too complicated. And to be honest I don't think it "needs" fixing. It's a situational sort of weapon and doesn't strike me as horribly out of whack. Hell, i think the only thing that would get me excited about it is if I was playing a tempest fighter.

I really prefer going two-blade warrior and picking up waraxes or bastard swords, for a little extra damage. Plus, doublesword is kind of cheesy, and I don't like the imagery of someone trying to attack with both ends at the same time. It'd look weird.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arasaki wrote: »
    Oh Goddammit, work has blocked the Wizards site again.

9 hours until I can see the preview :(

Welcome to my life. The only place I can really check this stuff out is here at work.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Most people will tend to be cautious in a dungeon - if they find stairs down and have not explored the rest of the current level they will go back an explore, then come back to the stairs - don't leave monsters at your back.

MrBeens on
This discussion has been closed.