As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tournament On] Blood Bowl

• Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Common people, lets get some more impressions in here!

If they are using the Living Rule Book rules they can't really mess up the game, so what I want to know is:

*Interface. Is it playable? Does it feel good?

*Presentation? How does it look? Animations? Does it feel as satisfying as it should having your ogre step on a goblin? Are there special animations for skills, Pile On and such?

*AI. People are saying it is pretty good?

Yann on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, this is really frustrating me.

Maybe I'm missing something totally obvious in the UI, but now that I'm out of the public league and waiting for my application to the PA league to go through, how do I challenge other random players?

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    Okay, this is really frustrating me.

Maybe I'm missing something totally obvious in the UI, but now that I'm out of the public league and waiting for my application to the PA league to go through, how do I challenge other random players?

You can't with the team that's waiting on getting into the PA league. You can only play against random players with a public league team. Idea being, teams in a private league should only be improving their records and players against other league teams, not cleaning up on random scrubs and then using a superior team against league opponents.

If you do have another team made that you want to use in the public league, then what you need to do is click on that team in the upper left of the main online screen, and then go looking for opponents as normal.

Ketar on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hm, I understand the game logic there, but that still kinda sucks.

Guess I'll have to make a second gobbo team now for when no one's on.

Thanks though!

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yann wrote: »

If they are using the Living Rule Book rules they can't really mess up the game, so what I want to know is:

*Presentation? How does it look? Animations? Does it feel as satisfying as it should having your ogre step on a goblin? Are there special animations for skills, Pile On and such?

Interface: I've found it intuitive. Most everything is handled with context sensitive right clicks, and the icons are good about telling you exactly what action you are performing. There is a chat box detailing in text what rolls are happening and giving outlining results and modifiers applied. All actions are also illustrated graphically on the field, with text popping up as needed (like when casualties happen, or when saving throws are made). In certain situations you have to remember to toggle blitz on manually (if you are blocking first and then moviing, for example), but otherwise I don't even think about the interface.

Animations are good, although I'll admit I'm usually to busy playing to really pay attention. Each player type and action has its own animation, the best ones probably belong to the goblins with secret weapons. Its great when they whip out the chainsaw and do some damage. The goblin cheerleaders are pretty hilarious as well. I should also mention that the announcers are pretty damn funny, and in 20+ games they haven't really gotten annoying. Usually in sports games the announcers are stupid and I immediately turn them off, but I haven't needed to do so here.

The AI is a challenge, and really kicked my ass the first 5 games or so. Once I figured out what I was doing I can beat it on medium, but it is very good at capitalizing on mistakes and bad rolls. It will punish you for turnovers, and if you give it an opening it will use it. Its even pretty good at handling the different races playstyles. The AI won't hesitate to stomp you with the more physical teams, or dance around you with elves or stunties. The only quirk I've been able to notice is that it sometimes makes unnecessary Go For It rolls. Its more than adequate for learning the game before you tackle multiplayer, and on medium its good enough to beat me a third of the time.

bamjo on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yann wrote: »

Just signed up to respond to this thread and get my name out there so I can hopefully jump into the tournies run by PA.

To answer the questions:

Yes, the game is (AFAIK) blood bowl to a tee. I love it.

Interface is awesome. Easy to use. Guys taken/cant take an action are red, guys that can take an action are green. Easy to see where/when you need to roll dice (when you are moving for dodges etc) and most of the time it shows you what the required score on that roll would be. Only thing I have difficulty remembering is if I want to blitz when standing next to someone, I have to hit blitz first before throwing the block (if you aren't next to them when you click on them to block the blitz automatically gets applied). The team roster section is also easy to use and lets you know after every game if you have a level up pending. I ran through the tutorials quickly and that explained most of the stuff I needed to get into a game and learn everything else trial by fire. I have only played the classic mode, Turn based IMO is going to be way better than the other version.

It looks great. Dodges and blocks have animations. I think they could have done a bit more with the special big guys and weapons, but that is minor. Touchdown cutscenes are funny. The dialogue of the commentators could have done with a LOT more work (i think i'd heard everything they have to say in the first game). Pitch variation is good, not always the same thing. Cheerleaders are a little lacking, but they don't play a massive part so guess its not too much of a problem. No special animations for skills that I have seen, which is a little dissapointing, but wasn't a game breaker IMO. The fouling seems a little lack lustre, but I think that is just me getting poor results out of the dice rolls, it is pretty funny when 5 guys stomp on one guy down in the dirt.

AI - I used to play a long time ago, so I am familiar with the rules and strategy in general, however I couldn't remember the actual order of things etc. So my first couple of games I played on medium just to get a feel for what to do and how to do it and lost quite convincingly. I then started a campaign as chaos, won the first match, then lost the 2nd (to a skaven team, wasn't expecting the mobility of those guys), now I am on a 9 game winning streak, highest win so far is 5-0. The dice haven't been super unkind to me, but they have caused some turnovers which end up in the opposition scoring (Minotaur rolling 3 attacker downs on a 3 dice block shat me, also having the ball IN my touchdown zone, but continually fumbling to pick the damn thing up when the skaven runner comes grabs it moves a bazillion squares throws it down the end of the field the other guy runs a bazillion squares and gets a touchdown), so that could be a factor, or perhaps I am playing an easy team? I noted a few posts that say chaos aren't for beginners, so maybe they just play easily, if you know how? I was still re-learning a few of the skills and made some poor choices, so I am going to restart on hard and see where that takes me, hopefully more of a challenge (undefeated is awesome, but I want to be the one who gets the bonus special characters and wizard scrolls etc). For this reason I am keen to get into one of the PA leagues also, the unpredictability of a human always adds an interesting element.

However, in saying that they don't do stupid stuff (at least not on medium). The dwarf teams always bunch up and go for a drive down the centre. The skaven and humans are always running around everywhere and pass a lot. Occasionally the ball carrier will run towards my touchdown zone and be left unguarded, which seems a little strange (especiialy because its usually the dwarfs who do this), but maybe they had a bigger plan which was interupted by a turnover? Came across a dwarf team that had lots of people with the guard skill, man that was tough to play against, so they pick good skills and such.

How long the thrill lasts I dunno, but I am so itching to get out of work to go play it, it isn't funny.

Bit of a ramble, hope that helps anyone who was interested in buying.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I'm not a super huge fan of the League stuff yet, and cant even seem to get the League Chat channel to work very well.

Though, if I do get the Chat Channel to work properly, it would probably be worth having a League just for that. (unless I tie it to Steam I guess... anyone setup a Blood Bowl Steam Group?)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty sure I'll get the game now. Should be a good way to get comfortable with the ruleset for the inevitable RL league when my group finally gets around to that. =P

Yann on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought it last night, new to the game. (but I like my TBS , and my fantasy) Played 4 or 5 games, haven't quite figured out an AI beating strat yet. I'm not doing as well as I'd like maneuvring my players mostly.

The match loadtimes are pretty big (Maybe 1 minute on my quadcore/9800gtx/4gig ram machine) on singleplayer. But the matches last a long time, and it's only 1 load / match. The commentary is loopy as hell , otherwise the presentation is great.

It's definitely an interesting game to play.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Got this at the weekend, and its a blast. One thing, is multiplayer region restricted? Or can I play with people across the pond? As im EU and would like to play USA teams too.

Prime on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Prime wrote: »
    Got this at the weekend, and its a blast. One thing, is multiplayer region restricted? Or can I play with people across the pond? As im EU and would like to play USA teams too.

No region restriction that I'm aware of. Half the players around just about any time I'm on are French, and I'm playing from the US.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The match loadtimes are pretty big (Maybe 1 minute on my quadcore/9800gtx/4gig ram machine) on singleplayer. But the matches last a long time, and it's only 1 load / match. The commentary is loopy as hell , otherwise the presentation is great.

1 minute?! I should be so lucky. I haven't timed it but it feels like a good three or four for me. I'm worried to play online for fear of pissing off people with no patience. Like you say though, one load at the start and your good to go for the whole match.

The UI is absolutely fine. The only issue that I can see that anyone could possibly have is that you're not as familiar with it as you are with FUMBBL. Yet. Play a few matches and you'll see that it really is fine. Plus it will warn you when planned movement would cause a tackle and gives you an advance heads up on target rolls/number of block dice so it's much more friendly to someone who hasn't memorised the rules.

Here's hoping this does really well and we can get an expansion to beef up the roster a bit.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    Prime wrote: »

No region restriction that I'm aware of. Half the players around just about any time I'm on are French, and I'm playing from the US.

Great stuff! Whens the next PA tourny or league?

Prime on
  • Options
    TonyTony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Picked this up on saturday and I think so far its definately been worth the money, and I've still got to try out all of the teams, only played human and lizard, and the new real time mode.

I'm currently working my way through the campaign with a lizardmen team and it's going pretty well, I havn't played the tabletop game for a few years but from what I remember they've done a great job of bringing the rules across.

Think I'll give multiplayer a try once I've given the other teams a try, so I know what to expect from the teans I'm playing.

Tony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »

1 minute?! I should be so lucky. I haven't timed it but it feels like a good three or four for me. I'm worried to play online for fear of pissing off people with no patience. Like you say though, one load at the start and your good to go for the whole match.

The UI is absolutely fine. The only issue that I can see that anyone could possibly have is that you're not as familiar with it as you are with FUMBBL. Yet. Play a few matches and you'll see that it really is fine. Plus it will warn you when planned movement would cause a tackle and gives you an advance heads up on target rolls/number of block dice so it's much more friendly to someone who hasn't memorised the rules.

Here's hoping this does really well and we can get an expansion to beef up the roster a bit.

I'm not sure if I'm blind, or just not looking closely enough.. but is that just the 1/2/3 white/red dice that pops up? Or is there a more detailed reading somewhere?

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Penny Arcade Casual 2 has filled up, and I've started the season... I'm not sure how well this is going to work though.

I'm really starting to like the idea of linking Blood Bowl to steam, and having a PA steam group/chat room, where we can all hang out and setup 1-off matches instead. I will probably look into it later.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, now that I've spent some time learning the game with my Human team, I went back and started a chaos team... much much better.

Just stuck on a match vs Skaven where they have a rat ogre, and a hero rat ogre :(

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just won my first online match! It was my brand new 1000 pt orc team against a 1090 lizardmen team. We were both very courteous and sportsmanlike until the first turn of the 2nd half, when the crowd mobbed the ref and everything became fair game. The match quickly escalated into a stomp fest, with the final KO count being 9. Amazingly there were no serious injuries, but his skinks came out on the losing end. Final score 2-1 for the greenskins. This game is awesome!

I have yet to see a PA'er who isn't already in a game. Whenever I log in there are exactly two people online, and they are both already playing. Are you guys organizing matches using in-game chat, or some other method?

bamjo on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Never played Blood Bowl in any form before, but this thing is awesome. :) Turn-based mode is definitely better though...even if the dice are murder sometimes (last game I got lucky, got Blitz on the first kickoff. That was the LAST roll I won for two turns..)

Where's the PA league information? The OP is all FUUMBLE stuff.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, now that I've spent some time learning the game with my Human team, I went back and started a chaos team... much much better.

Just stuck on a match vs Skaven where they have a rat ogre, and a hero rat ogre :(

The bummer is that with their tails it's hard to run away from those fuckers. I suggest fouling them into the ground, after you do the same to the Guttersluts.

I just had a game with my new human team. My Thrower fails a throw roll, auto-rerolls...and rolls a 1, fumbling the ball. He then proceeds to do exactly the same thing three more times during the game. I eventually let one of my linemen try instead...and he did exactly the same thing. I think the Skaven I was playing against had gotten the ball all slimy.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those gutter runners can be a real pain unless you pound them into the ground asap.

My goblin running back/free safety is the pride of the Orcs. I just know that poor fucker is gonna get killed soon.

Bama on
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man my new computer can't come soon enough. I am all about this game as soon as it arrives

Couple of questions though. I just looked on the website and it made mention of 8 different races. Do we know if they will expand this number going forward? It'd be cool to have all the other teams like Norse, Amazon, DE, HE and especially the big hats! Also does anyone have any screenshots of what the game looks like with all the UI on? The stuff on the website doesn't show any of that and I'm curious :)

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Chaos team just faced off against Skaven for the first time in the second competition (after winning their first only due to lucky wins in the playoffs after losing all the matches before them). Front line is Minotaur vs. Rat Ogre. Rat Ogre takes a swing, both go down. Minotaur is KO'd for the game but the Rat Ogre has his Skull Fractured. I won 2-0 just by walling up at the line and bum rushing whatever rat got the ball while keeping as many of them knocked down as I possibly could.

Now if only I could figure out a way to level up my players. The team is all level 1 with a tiny amount of SSP on all of them with one level 2 Beastman with tentacles and my level 3 star, another Beastman named Milly Mantle (name generator seems to have some joke names in there) with an extra arm and Sure Hands (who still managed to fumble picking up the ball 4 times in a row one game).

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The current league is full, so I made a new one. League name is Penny Arcade training, no password. This one has 32 slots, classic ruleset and is newbie friendly. Everyone is welcome.

bamjo on
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If the game is true to the living rule book then check out the book here and look at star player points on page 25/26. It'll give you an idea on what it takes to level your players up

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    After giving every race a try I've settled on dwarfs.

My mistake was playing them first, their hardiness and durability spoiled me. I tried given skaven a try and on the second turn one of my guys died and I was like "Nope, can't do this, back to dwarfs."

We should set up a tournament soon so I can attempt to grind your bones beneath by dwarven feet.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I see we have a tournament set up in the casual league. I'll plan to leave the Penny Arcade training league set to free matches so people can play skirmish games whenever they want.

bamjo on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone have some tips for chaos team development? Been playing them recently and really like them, but honestly my last team ended up a bit of a mess with random skills scattered about all over the place. Part of it was due to being in the mindset of LRB4 (What, VLL doesn't give movement anymore?). Most of it was just lack of organization, though.

Here's what I've been thinking about going with this time for development:

3 Chaos Warrior Blockers: Block, Guard, Mighty Blow, etc...
    1 Chaos Warrior Runner (for cage tactics): Sure hands, Block, Fend, Two Heads (dodge if double)
    2 Beastman Runners (for breakthrough plays against slower teams): Sure hands, Two heads, Fend, (dodge)

Beastman lineman: Block, Guard, Tackle, Mighty blow (Diving tackle)
    Beastman blitzer: Block/Wrestle, Tackle, Mighty blow, Claw(Diving tackle)

Minotaur: The usual:

Anything I'm missing?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its kinda rough to find people to play against in the league. Anyone want to schedule a game for tonight? I'm thinking at roughly 6 EST. I'm in the PA Casual 2 league, don't know how many others we have floating around.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    floodriptidefloodriptide Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This weekend, while waiting for the PA-Casual 2 league to start up, every time I checked the lobby there was at least one or two other players in there, so I suspect there will be plenty of people out there to play against. (I even got a pick-up game with wikedk4rm4. Mr. Thumbs spent all night crying into his pillow after that game.)

floodriptide on
    Pelloquin @ The Secret World-TSM
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, are we going to do a Blood Bowl PC game tourney, or is this still the FUMBBL one?

Wesleyyyyy

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, this game is great. I've been playing a lot of single player. It's a very good improvement on fubbl and the old Chaos League game.

One issue though, I can't for the life of me get a multiplayer game working. I sat in the public chat challenging everyone that was saying "LFG" but got no replies, even seeing the same person I challenge looking for a game after I sent a request.

Finally, after sending 20 some odd challenges, someone challenges me and I accept. Sweet! Game loading screen finally comes up, the game loads annnnd.... CRASH TO DESKTOP. wtf.

Does anyone know if this a common issue?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The challenge window times out very quickly, like in a matter of seconds. If someone isn't ready to click accept right now they often miss it. Its like a quick time event only multiplayer!

Had my first tournament game with my humans against Jolly's Lizardmen, it was pretty epic. When I saw his saurus line I was sure I was going to lose. And he did stomp all over me. In the end I claimed victory only because of a lucky passing game and a very crucial fumble going my way. My blitzer recovered the ball way back on my side of the field, and proceed to get boxed in by his hulking lizard monstrosities. I was desperate, and knew I would lose the ball the next turn. So I dodged out to an opening and completed a long pass for a touchdown. Final score 2-1 for the Wangoliers, and about 10 KO's total. Most exciting game I've played so far!

Edit: Here's the replay if anybody cares. It was a really close game.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FW21Y0TP

bamjo on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Minotaur: The usual:

It looks like the most boring White Wolf game ever.

Something to consider for your Mino--Tentacle. Basically it causes anyone trying to Dodge away from him to pass a Strength roll, or they're stuck in his tackle zone. It leaves the player in prime Frenzy position, and the players that will be dodging most are the weaker agile guys (Catchers, Skinks, Goblins, Guttersluts) who can't resist the tentacle well. I know some people like to use the Mino for blitzes to take advantage of his horns, but I don't think that's worth it: the increase from 5 to 6 strength isn't as important as giving a blitzing Beastman 4, and you don't want to waste the Blitz on a guy who might go all Wild Animal on you.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I need someone to help me get my multiplayer working tonight. I should be online around 6:30/7:00 EST.

Anyone have some time?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    bigbadbobbigbadbob Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I might be on around that time, have you done all that fangled port opening buisness.

bigbadbob on
    soldersig.jpg
    Candy Is dandy, But liquor Is quicker
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh, I have not.

I don't see how closed ports would cause a full on crash, but I guess it's a possibility :P

I'll post again here when I get home in a couple hours.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm worried about playing mutliplayer, just because of the reason that vs. the AI, I have no problem dicking them over with all sorts of cheesy moves. I love playing Skaven, but against extremely hard blocking teams like Dwarves and the Lizards, I have a ton of trouble stopping their drive. Which means I use all sorts of stalling tactics such as taking my gutter runner and running him one square away from a touchdown, and then leaving him there until the last possible moment to make sure I can score and not leave the other team enough time for a drive. Or purposely ganging up on important players and fouling the ever loving crap out of them. I would think as a human player that shit would just drive me nuts if someone did it to me.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh I've definitely had my goblin camp out at the goal line for as many turns as possible while my orcs do their best to kill or maim the other team.

I personally wouldn't consider it poor sportsmanship to have it done to me, not that it wouldn't suck.

Bama on
  • Options
    floodriptidefloodriptide Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As I understand it, stalling and fouling the carp out of the opposition are both considered fair game.

floodriptide on
    Pelloquin @ The Secret World-TSM
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its blood bowl, outside of like bugs or something, if you can do it its fair game.

Canada_jezus on