As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Everybody Here Is Going To Be A Jedi

• Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgtZTXrZ4JQ

Space experience; details to be confirmed at a later stage.

HK-47; he's baaaaack.

PVP, Crafting, AH, guilds, parties, raids, end-game content; confirmed.

I'd recommend actually watching it on youtube rather than just the inline player, as it's widescreen and the inline player is a tad small.

HK-47 standing behind a random sith dude? Huh. Guess he'll be a companion character :)

No, HK-47 doesn't need backup. Althrough I can see him using random sith as meatbag shields since he is ranged attack and...

Oh...wait...you meant HK-47 was the companion character?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that's what i assume, seeing as he's a popular character placed behind a sith dude in the backdrop thereq

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Hk-47 better not be a companion character, too many people will not pay him enough respect by letting him make all party decisions.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    widowson wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    HK-47 standing behind a random sith dude? Huh. Guess he'll be a companion character :)

No, HK-47 doesn't need backup. Althrough I can see him using random sith as meatbag shields since he is ranged attack and...

Oh...wait...you meant HK-47 was the companion character?

Hehehe. :P

devoir on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ahhh. HK, every line of his is gold.

Although it might not be HK-47 himself, because this takes place. What, 3 centuries after Malaks death? Doesn't that seem a LITTLE extreme?

It might be like... HK-147 or something.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Nope, droids don't die of old age.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    But they do die of loneliness.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If anyone can survive three centuries of constant battering and close calls, it's HK.

Or T3. I miss that li'l fella.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yea, but new models come out, and old ones stop working.

300 years is a long time for a droid to be still working, I can say that maybe one can go for... A hundred before it is scrapped, but 3? Nah, but then again, it is their game.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    why is there even any conjecture as to whether or not HK-47 is alive

the dude says in that very interview that HK is in the game

i'm going to assume it's not as a pile of rusted scrap, either

evidence: he's alive and well in the backdrop in that video

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not like droids can't be rebuilt, all the way up to just putting their memories into a new chassis. C-3PO and R2-D2 had to be at least 50 by RotJ (maybe more in R2's case) and they looked good as new.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Mifio wrote: »

300 years is a long time for a droid to be still working, I can say that maybe one can go for... A hundred before it is scrapped, but 3? Nah, but then again, it is their game.

And who pray tell would have the ability to send HK to the recyclers?
    Scooter wrote: »
    It's not like droids can't be rebuilt, all the way up to just putting their memories into a new chassis. C-3PO and R2-D2 had to be at least 50 by RotJ (maybe more in R2's case) and they looked good as new.

Good as they ever did at any rate. R2 was looking a little dinged up even on Amadala's blockade run.

And in the EU they stayed around for a long long long time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Watching the OT after the new movies really puts a new, funny spin on how R2 acts. I picture him telling 3PO "no, you don't understand, this is how it is..." the entire time, and 3PO (and luke) either don't understand, or think he's crazy.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mifio wrote: »

And who pray tell would have the ability to send HK to the recyclers?

Good god! So you're saying that Revan manipulated the True Sith Empire into attacking the Republic... to decommission HK?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You heard it here first.

[tiny]and hopefully last.[/tiny]

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Watching the OT after the new movies really puts a new, funny spin on how R2 acts. I picture him telling 3PO "no, you don't understand, this is how it is..." the entire time, and 3PO (and luke) either don't understand, or think he's crazy.

Honestly this is the way T3 was played in KOTOR 2, and I loved it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The popular fiction states that R2 hacked every computer he used so as to store a copy of his memory; in the event he was ever wiped he would get it right back the first time he went to do some common task.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Obviously the Republic will get a cryogenically frozen Carth Onasi as a companion.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Obviously the Republic will get a cyro-genetically frozen Carth Onasi as a companion.

He'll be only partially thawed, though, and only able to communicate by flashing the light on the front of his life support unit wheelchair thing.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Obviously the Republic will get a cyro-genetically frozen Carth Onasi as a companion.

He'll be only partially thawed, though, and only able to communicate by flashing the light on the front of his life support unit wheelchair thing.

so basically carth from kotor. gotcha.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009

*Mechanical Voice* He-Llo. My-Name-Is-Steph-en... Wait.-Carth-On-asi!

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

But will he still be angry at your character for things beyond anyone's control?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »

But will he still be angry at your character for things beyond anyone's control?
    HK wrote:
    Mockery: Oh Master, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you, or anyone else ever again!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to see HK-47 get into an argument with an Elcor.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hell, for all we know R2 is T3.

Scooter on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The popular fiction states that R2 hacked every computer he used so as to store a copy of his memory; in the event he was ever wiped he would get it right back the first time he went to do some common task.

Actually, I believe one of the more recent books had R2's memory and personality being hard-coded. There was a long side-story about finding a way to access that information (mostly about Luke's parents, R2's origin, etc.). In the end they didn't peruse the full "hack" that had been created because of the risk to R2 itself. I hadn't read anything about him backing up onto other remote sites (though I wouldn''t doubt it could happen). I can't remember if the books said Obi-wan put the memory lock on R2 to prevent any leakage of information about his/their past, or if R2 himself did it. However, it has been stated many times that R2 has never actually been wiped, and it's questionable that it would work since with the hard-coded explanation; though he has been given several "upgrades" along the way to adapt to newer technologies (to fit in the Stealth-X's in the NJO series for example).

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are any of the Star Wars books not shit? Because from what I have heard so far they are full of ridiculous crap.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    250pxxwwraithsquadron.jpg

And Dinner Squadron. Yub yub, Commander.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Are any of the Star Wars books not shit? Because from what I have heard so far they are full of ridiculous crap.

I thought the Heir to the Empire trilogy was pretty good. It kept pretty faithful to the spirit of the first trilogy, and didn't introduce anything completely absurd. Well, some of the animals, I suppose, but they were an inevitability for the villain to pose a serious threat.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's been a long time since I've read any of the books, but I'm liking the Legacy comic, and the KotoR comic was ok for the first 20-25 issues.

Scooter on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone handle making the new thread, I've got my hands full with the indie game thread over in G&T proper.

Edit - And managing the WoW mage thread here.

Edit - And I'm not hawking out for every single detail about SW: TOR anyhow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The Thrawn books are not-horrible. I mean it's pulp sci-fi but the writing is decent and they aren't so far removed from the movies that everything is unrecognizable. Also the han solo adventures/origin story books are pretty good.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I recommend the Rogue Squadron books and I, Jedi if you like them. *shrug*

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Take I, Jedi with a grain of salt.

It's a good book, but the bit about lightsabers has gone against some other established higher level canon.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    haha what does it say about lightsabers

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know, but it's either about how a lightsaber is created or the material that shorts them out.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh god, this thread is so horrible.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=41503

How can people post stuff like that?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh god, this thread is so horrible.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=41503

How can people post stuff like that?

I have no clue, it is completely awful.

So... Uh... Whats everyone gonna name their characters? And their ships?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My character will be called Jed I.

He will be a Jedi, the most powerful Jedi in a million billion years. He will have more midichlorians than if Yoda had kids with Anakin!

He will also be the best fighter pilot, freighter pilot and Sabacc player the galaxy has ever seen.

He will have a ship called the New Millenium Hawk, and a Wookiee co-pilot called Nombacca.

devoir on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

eh, "most" aren't that bad if you're just looking to just follow an entertaining story while suspending the reflex of trying to impose reality upon said story. If you want to analyze every fact, action, and human quality... well, then I'd avoid them. That being said, a few of the authors and story-lines are a bit out there (about half the NJO, ugh) and they condense the books to where, literally, every 6 months there is some new government/civilization/galaxy-ending threat, but it's not any mechanic that any long-running book or fictional media series doesn't also use. They're not trying to write the next-great American Novel.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
This discussion has been closed.