As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »

Well, fuck that then. Bye.

815165 on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    id play AC if it was free for sure.
    hell id play eq if it were free.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Woah, DDO free?

Does that mean Asheron's Call is going to go free too? That would be sweet!

I wish. But no word on that so far.

I'd love to see them make AC2 Open Source. The ultimate fuck you to Microsoft for screwing them over.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think AC2 would of been much better off with an open skill system much like Ac , I think in the long run it would of helped bring over more of the old ac players. I really like the way some of the qeusts were run but dont think i could hunt for those damn pyreals for the armor quest again that drove me insane. lol.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Reiten wrote: »
    Darksun or Ravenloft would be fun settings.

Shit yes.

Dark Sun Online was an amazing MMO back in the day. I miss it. :(

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I opened my email this morning only to discover a DDO Unlimited beta invite. Surprised, that was fast...NDA in effect so I won't be able to say much, but downloading now. :P

citizen059 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A NDA for a game released years ago. *boggles*

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wasn't sure about that too, how much change is it over the "old" game.

Draeven on

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it seems a little odd. But I'm guessing a lot of it will revolve around whatever new content they're putting in, like classes, extra levels, areas, etc.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems a little odd. But I'm guessing a lot of it will revolve around whatever new content they're putting in, like classes, extra levels, areas, etc.

I didn't get one yet and I was in the motherfucking ALPHA test. :|

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked DDO, and I might try it again if its free...but man I hate the Hellgate style of pay, if you don't subscribe your a second class citizen. Look at that list, chat, trade, classes and races are all limited for free players. Gross.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I liked DDO, and I might try it again if its free...but man I hate the Hellgate style of pay, if you don't subscribe your a second class citizen. Look at that list, chat, trade, classes and races are all limited for free players. Gross.

Not quite. As you play the game, you get points to use in the shop. Of course this kind of depends on what the goals are and how many points are handed out, but yeah, playing for free should be cool, but getting exactly what you want is good too. So for me, I don't see a problem with getting maybe $20 and putting it into the store and going from there, purchasing prudently of course, but making sure my game goes the length that I wish it to.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love to have NWN as an MMO with 4th edition game mechanics. Create a toolset that allows builders to create their own adventurers for guild members and/or the public (improving on the Architect system created for City of Heroes and avoiding the same mistakes).

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had a chance to play DDO VERY early on, as part of a playtest group. I played a rogue and loved it because the unlock mechanic was this cool thing where you saw the inside of the lock.

Then I tried DDO beta right before launch and it was gone. I was so disappointed.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My friend was so pumped to play a rogue for that very reason when he was in beta, and I heard his mighty heart break when they took it out on release.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DDO must have had one of the worst Beta to Live transitions in any game ever, by all accounts

Robman on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    2623.jpg

Wait. You have to pay to unlock Warforged? Why? I was rather enjoying my Warforged Rogue back at release.

KiTA on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm actually looking forward to this since my friends who wouldn't pay for it want to try now. I can at least get a few days of group action out of this.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2623.jpg

Wait. You have to pay to unlock Warforged? Why? I was rather enjoying my Warforged Rogue back at release.

Simple. You make the most popular race pay-to-play, and theoretically most people will pay to play.

I can't really build up any enthusiasm for this, being that it is 3E-based.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    g]

Simple. You make the most popular race pay-to-play, and theoretically most people will pay to play.

I can't really build up any enthusiasm for this, being that it is 3E-based.

Well, we don't even know how much these races cost. They could be 50 cents or a couple dollars. That being said, I don't think Turbine would put high costs on starter content like this, but should you want to get to level 20, etc, then yeah, they will start upping the costs. At least that is how I theorize they will do it.

Btw, delroland: NVM and NVM2 were both 3.5 based as well. :P

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, but in theory, now that 4th rules are out they would possibly use those.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They should go auction the name "Drizzt" to the highest bidder.

Would be amusing how much it would go for.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Considering that 4th edition is D&D WoW-tarded, yeah, it would be a perfect fit for an MMO. :P

*runs away to avoid 3.5 vrs 4th edition debate*

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking that myself, but for it's faults I still feel it makes some improvements on 3.5.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    widowson wrote: »

Considering that 4th edition is D&D WoW-tarded, yeah, it would be a perfect fit for an MMO. :P

If you didn't want to participate in such a discussion, then why throw out the flamebait?

Oh wait, right. Trolling.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll be honest. When I first started reading the 4th rules that is the first thing that popped into my mind as well. However, on more mature reflection I feel that they did it for a reason and I don't fault them for it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    People would be cheering WotC's design decisions in 4th edition if there were no such thing as an MMO.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    They should go auction the name "Drizzt" to the highest bidder.

Would be amusing how much it would go for.

Then they should give the government a list of people who bid on the name, and those people should be shot.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That is a little extreme. We would need to separate out the people who would bid on the name just to remove it from circulation.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    R A salvatore has his own computer game studio, with Curt Schilling and Todd McFarlane.

Not made up. Not on topic I guess, but I'm sure all the drizzt fans want to know.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    widowson wrote: »

If you didn't want to participate in such a discussion, then why throw out the flamebait?

Oh wait, right. Trolling.

Oh, I was kidding. Lighten up. :P

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Warforged Barbarian is basically flat out unstoppable. I thought you should know.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uh how so? Since raging kills a lot of warforged benefits

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    People would be cheering WotC's design decisions in 4th edition if there were no such thing as an MMO.
    The faster, more streamlined system makes it easier to bring in new players, too.

Glal on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    The faster, more streamlined system makes it easier to bring in new players, too.

It got me playing. I wouldn't have otherwise.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not saying 4th edition doesn't have it's flaws, but it's a whole lot easier to teach people while still retaining a complex tactical feel.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And it got rid of prestige classes!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aren't Paragon Paths pretty similar?

Glal on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Aren't Paragon Paths pretty similar?

They're similar in spirit, but completely different in implementation.

Prestige classes (and multiclassing in general) created an atmosphere of people taking tons of different classes to try and scoop up abilities available in the first few levels. So you'd have people taking a level of warrior, two levels of barbarian, two levels of warblade, a level of frenzied beserker, a level of this, a level of that, etc. etc. (note, this particular list would probably result in a shitty character and should only be taken for instructional purposes).

With paragon paths, not only are they something "extra" that's added onto your base class, rather than something your character turns into, everyone gets one and ONLY one.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I know it's offtopic, but I just looked at the 4th ed ruleset. Yearly new Player's, DMGs and MM's? WotC have obviously been taking notes from Hasbro, the fucking pirates.

Robman on
This discussion has been closed.