As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only real problem I had with targeting was when running around, picking something up, jumping mid air and trying to find the main boss over the rest of the rando's.

I didn't know about pressing up or down, I usually went left or right. And 9/10 of the time it'd grab the right boss, if I was able to turn the camera around and have him on my screen. So it wasn't the biggest deal.

I enjoyed the hell out of the game, put a bit more then 20hrs into it. I'll prolly pick it up again a bit down the road just to wreck havoc.

Back to my Buy a used ass old game I missed out on. Next up: Dark Sector and Marvel Ultimate Alliance!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really enjoy when the game decides the base is more important than the 3 tanks or 4 choppers or 20 troops.

Overall it works well, but yeah, there's some issues with not picking the vehicles.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I really enjoy when the game decides the base is more important than the 3 tanks or 4 choppers or 20 troops.

Overall it works well, but yeah, there's some issues with not picking the vehicles.

The game tends to think bases and hives are the highest priority targets in the universe. But the only way around this is to give them less priority than enemies, in which case they might as well not be auto-targetable at all, since enemies spawn so quickly you'll never have a hive or base without some kind of enemy near it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just spent the last couple hours watching my roomie play this, and holy shit. Holy shit. I'm going to lose my entire day tomorrow to playing this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not disagreeing that it picks the bases.

I'm just saying when you actually kill the bases, most of the enemies despawn. (And half the time strike teams bugger off mid way to you since it suppresses strike teams for about ten/fifteen minutes)

They're like minions. You'll lose a shit ton of aggro and then you can clean up. So they kind of are more important.

You guys know you can jump up on top of a building and do the spike devastator for a metric fuckton of damage right. For example, the ground spike devastator on top of a hive in the early consume one shots it.
    End game it takes about three of these and maybe a bulletdive. You can just throw things once you are out of devastators.
    This is a very handy tip I don't know why I never actually mentioned it before. You are safe from tanks and most rocket mens on top of the base, you only need to worry about helicopters.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For example, the ground spike devastator on top of a hive in the early consume one shots it.
    End game it takes about three of these and maybe a bulletdive.
    Man a single bulletdrop will take off about 1/2 of a bases hp if you do it from a decent height even at the endgame.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    a maxed out artillery strike will do it even faster

best method ever

Elendil on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I bought the strategy guide (because I'm a consumer whore), and while the guide itself is fairly basic and nothing major, I was facinated by the artbook supplement thing and some of the character guides.

Now, I don't have a clue if the guide writers wrote them or they were written by the devs, but there's some interestingly little tidbits here and there. There's the obvious ones - Original Alex was a hairs breath from a sociopath - and some less ones. For example, they mention that Dana pretty much owes everyone she knows a lot of money, and is just as manipulative and deceitful as her brother.

They mention that the Blacklight virus has always existed on Earth, and that every time a major evolutionary change has occured on the planet, it could be traced back to some form of Blacklight.

Nothing major, but for a flavor wonk like me, it's cool.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's okay guys I know. Honest. Thanks tho. :P

I like doing the artillery strike, wall running around a building, disguising on the other side, then redoing it.
    Or just stealing their strike teams and repeatedly going up to the skybox and bulletdiving.
    I use all the methods depending on mood. Hmmm shall I rocket launcher, tank, helicopter, bulletdive, throw barrels of ammo you conveniently left outside, "make it wet in the killbox" or just be lazy and spike it to death and eat a random dude in between.

Choices choices.

I love it when the artillery guys say "Confirmed. Sending them to God."
    the military chatter is the best va in the whole game.

"Going down request Sars! SARRRSS!! ARRGGHHH!!!"

What does sars mean anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Search and Rescue.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ah of course silly me
    thanks

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I'm just saying when you actually kill the bases, most of the enemies despawn. (And half the time strike teams bugger off mid way to you since it suppresses strike teams for about ten/fifteen minutes)

I know, it's just that sometimes I want to fight it out at ground level for awhile before sending them all to their Maker. Like you said, the best choice is to get onto the roof and it will target it, but again, I think it should still pick the gorram helicopter over a building.

Overall minor problems. Camera still handles a thousand times better than most games out there.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I did a Patsy and after the troops opened up on the target I heard them give the "Opps" voice over and I could swear I heard a giggle. o_O

So 20 seconds later after I'm done whipfisting the area to so many gibblits and calling in an Airstrike to be sure...I find out it was my wife. :P

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What does sars mean anyway.

Its proof that America is behind all diseases. Damn you yanks. DAMN YOU!!!!!

Anywho, about the bases and hives, maybe it's just me but I always preferred to take them out first before attacking the small-fry. Also, I don't think I ever accidentally locked on to a base. Hive? Sure, but never a military base.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is probably a really dumb question, and off topic, but when everyone reads these forums how many posts per page do they display because I always see 'See page xx for whatever' but I never see what I want on that page...

sorry for the digression.

Snare on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    So I bought the strategy guide (because I'm a consumer whore), and while the guide itself is fairly basic and nothing major, I was facinated by the artbook supplement thing and some of the character guides.

Now, I don't have a clue if the guide writers wrote them or they were written by the devs, but there's some interestingly little tidbits here and there. There's the obvious ones - Original Alex was a hairs breath from a sociopath - and some less ones. For example, they mention that Dana pretty much owes everyone she knows a lot of money, and is just as manipulative and deceitful as her brother.

They mention that the Blacklight virus has always existed on Earth, and that every time a major evolutionary change has occured on the planet, it could be traced back to some form of Blacklight.

Nothing major, but for a flavor wonk like me, it's cool.

This isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Interesting, I might pick up the guide just for that if I can get it cheap of Amazon marketplace or whatever.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I find that bit about Dana amusing, nice to know that the entire Mercer family are a bunch of arseholes.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I know, it's just that sometimes I want to fight it out at ground level for awhile before sending them all to their Maker. Like you said, the best choice is to get onto the roof and it will target it, but again, I think it should still pick the gorram helicopter over a building.

Overall minor problems. Camera still handles a thousand times better than most games out there.

Yeah it's impressive when you consider how much there is going on at any given time.

The stuff about Alex's psych profile is in one of the WoI. They're talking about "the target". Gee I wonder who they mean. :P
    I find it amusing that this is the only piece of science in the entire game that makes sense and is consistent.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bought it. Played it. Finished it on easy. Loved it to bits. Now contemplating spending the reaminder of my holidays finishing it on hard.

Also, does this game kick anyone elses computers arse? E8400, 8800GT, 4gb ram and it still lags majorly about 30% of the time. It's still VERY playable and very much AWESOME fun, perhaps some of the best fun I've had in years, it's just he first game I've had to lower graphics setting to get to run well.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I am halfway through both a hard and an easy runthrough. The basic difference is the damage of a hard runthrough is incredible. one rocket from max health and you are in the red. Three and you are in adrenaline.

You can't make any mistakes, you have to dodge everything. And their health is probably around double, if not more. It's possible, but it's pretty intense. You must kill as efficiently and as fast as possible, switching to the right power for the right job. You probably would need to make sure you farm up every ability as soon as it is available especially movement and survival upgrades. I'd buy adrenaline surge asap. During the part where you need to do six missions in a row because "you know what" happens, you actually do need to buy the basic hand to hand combat powers to survive. If I didn't have shoryuken I wouldn't have been able to protect you know who. I recommend using stealth as much as possible as well. Also ignoring strike teams gets you killed. You really do need to decide wether to run or kill them, soon as they are called. Good luck.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    0.o Yep, considering late-game I actually started to get hurt pretty badly...especially
    killing greene
    I think I'm going to need that good luck. :P

Speaking of
    Greene, did anyone else spend half an hour or more trying to kill her? I found I got raped pretty damned fast by those green orbs and the constant rock barrage. Hell, even when I did get into smacking her something aweful, I kept getting knocked down by hunters in the process.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've got some strategies for green in my sig if you wanna watch it. I use whip, musclemass, hammertoss and blade as well as how to set up the devastators. Take a look before you get there on hard.

Before you get to green you can buy musclemass boost, I recommend watching the musclemass part of the vid, buying it before you get there and using that strategy. It's the easiest.
    Also get the air blade drop for the mission before it and use air critical pain in the same way I use the whip in that video (start charging it from a jump + dash through the air at an angle so it charges while travelling)
    They don't seem to get any new special attacks, I just beat "The Door in the Wall" on the hard run. That was a very intense fight. O_O

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay so I've had my shot at playing the game (and there will be more). So much fun though. I don't quite like controlling tanks, and hunters are kinda sort of a bitch. So much in fact that when I do manage to kill them, I usually overdo it so that I can't eat them.

Henroid on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FYI, this is the amazon deal of ze day. 39.99 for ps3/360 and 29.99 for pc.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited July 2009
    So if you just want to have a nice mess around game without any stress at all, play up to just before the mission "A Door in the Wall" on an Easy game +.
    You'll know before you start it because the pause screen tells you the name of the mission you can start.

Tons of zombies, hives to mess around in, strike teams rarely fire homing rockets, everything dies equally easily with every power and you barely take any damage from anything. A full hunter flail counter attack, just standing in it in armor, barely takes off an inch of your health bar.

Nothing else is changed except these health and damage values. It's still hella satisfying to blow up tanks and there's a mix of every armor type on the streets. Apcs, normal tanks, tough tanks, but they only come in ones and very rarely twos.

It's basically cheat mode. You are an unstoppable god, do whatever you like with whatever power with no effort.

Some fun things to do on this mode is the ground spike on an enemy tank. It'll die and go flying waaaaay up into the air, you can switch to whipfist, grab it, then chuck it at whatever. Same with helicopters, charged whipfist kill, then grab its corpse and chuck it at the next helicopter. It's all very smooth and fun. Stick a save there and you've got a very good party game or after work murderthon. Anybody of any skill level could run around in such a customised environment and have guaranteed "holy shit look what I just did" fun.

Enjoy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bad Amazon. Bad! Why does your deal of the day have to be so sweet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000208101

I may not be able to resist this for $40.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay so I've had my shot at playing the game (and there will be more). So much fun though. I don't quite like controlling tanks, and hunters are kinda sort of a bitch. So much in fact that when I do manage to kill them, I usually overdo it so that I can't eat them.

What are you using to fight them?

They're pretty annoying until you Blade, then go down easy. Muscle Mass can be used with the drop/flying attacks as well or chucking things. Main thing is to get out of their way when they fail; there's nothing you can do.

Alternatively, if you get exactly four stories up, then switch to Muscle Mass after 3.2 seconds, initiate a Power Bomb for 1.6 seconds, tap the Left shoulder 1, while pulling the left stick towards Mecca and the Right stick towards the nearest Starbucks (not the ones in Barnes & Noble, has a to be a regular one), you can one-shot them.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    you can one shot them by spitting at them really

but that was very droll and i deserved it

man much of what i say is very very easy, i just express it in the most complicated way it is possible to say

best rule of thumb is hit them twice then grab (even if you dont have dirtnap it still interrupts them)

repeat until dead. if surrounded, do flying stuff or two hits then diveroll.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    All in good fun, :lol:

Well, it is peoplejuice, so that could be pretty effective.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I gave in. $40 was a pretty good deal, so I took it.

I seem to recall some awesome forum member here putting together a list of the combos in game. Anyone have that handy? I want to be prepared for my mayhem.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bad Amazon. Bad! Why does your deal of the day have to be so sweet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000208101

I may not be able to resist this for $40.
    daaaaang

I wish I'd waited

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    All in good fun, :lol:

Well, it is peoplejuice, so that could be pretty effective.

yeah :) im gonna go through and collect my stuff into a word file and see if i cant organise it into something coherent that people can reference

that way i dont have to keep repeating myself with one long unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic it is really quite hypnotic

it'll take a while though I'm fairly lazy :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    drewethdreweth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So if you just want to have a nice mess around game without any stress at all, play up to just before the mission "A Door in the Wall" on an Easy game +.
    You'll know before you start it because the pause screen tells you the name of the mission you can start.

Tons of zombies, hives to mess around in, strike teams rarely fire homing rockets, everything dies equally easily with every power and you barely take any damage from anything. A full hunter flail counter attack, just standing in it in armor, barely takes off an inch of your health bar.

Nothing else is changed except these health and damage values. It's still hella satisfying to blow up tanks and there's a mix of every armor type on the streets. Apcs, normal tanks, tough tanks, but they only come in ones and very rarely twos.

It's basically cheat mode. You are an unstoppable god, do whatever you like with whatever power with no effort.

Some fun things to do on this mode is the ground spike on an enemy tank. It'll die and go flying waaaaay up into the air, you can switch to whipfist, grab it, then chuck it at whatever. Same with helicopters, charged whipfist kill, then grab its corpse and chuck it at the next helicopter. It's all very smooth and fun. Stick a save there and you've got a very good party game or after work murderthon. Anybody of any skill level could run around in such a customised environment and have guaranteed "holy shit look what I just did" fun.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. I jsut bought this game due to the Amazon deal ($40 for anyone who hasn't seen it), and was considering going through on normal or hard mode.

I am going through hard mode on Force Unleashed right now, because I heard that the New Game + option only lets you do the New Game + on a difficulty that you have already beaten.

On Prototype, if you beat the game once, does the New Game + Option work on any difficulty?

dreweth on
    dreweth.jpg
    dreweth.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    dreweth wrote: »

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. I jsut bought this game due to the Amazon deal ($40 for anyone who hasn't seen it), and was considering going through on normal or hard mode.

I am going through hard mode on Force Unleashed right now, because I heard that the New Game + option only lets you do the New Game + on a difficulty that you have already beaten.

On Prototype, if you beat the game once, does the New Game + Option work on any difficulty?

Beat it on normal you can do easy and normal +. Hard you start from scratch since there's the achievement tied to it and you can't unlock it until you finish one run through. (I think both easy and normal do this)
    And you really need that run through since you need to game the system.

Late in the game rockets really hurt unless you are able to move around effectively without being stuck on the ground, which takes a bit of practise to be effective at in combat.

If you just want easy smashing fun easy is nothing to be ashamed of.

on the other hand if you can handle the difficulty of Force Unleashed then normal will be a cakewalk.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I gave in. $40 was a pretty good deal, so I took it.

I seem to recall some awesome forum member here putting together a list of the combos in game. Anyone have that handy? I want to be prepared for my mayhem.

We can be friends now; I caved too.

This will sort of make up for me paying full price at Gamestop for Red Faction and then coming home and seeing it for $50 on amazon.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My moment of the latest playsession.

I time a hammertoss to connect with a helicopter as it turns around to fire a missile, leaving it on half health. The pilot:

"What the hell was that??"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm looking forward to playing this game. Truth is, it sounded kinda goofy the more I heard about it, but I still have a strong desire to cut a helicopter in half, so I think the story stuff is not that important in the grand scheme of things.

I still think the WOI is a great idea, though.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    probably the most important thing to remember before you play is that even thought it is a sandbox game with many options, it's mission design is such that in some very particular missions, only a handful of each can be used in them successfully. you can still use the others but your mission will be a lot more difficult. (there's plenty of free form missions too)
    so if you are the type to stick to only one thing through a whole game some of the missions not designed for that thing are going to really piss you off
    so maybe try to learn a few different strategies.

also cannonball is awesome try it against every enemy at least once.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's not a problem for me. I mean, I tend to favor the direct approach to things, but I don't have a problem varying my methods per se.

I think there's enough variety to keep me interested for a good while.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Working on finishing WOI and getting platinum on the events. Some events such as the War events with military disguise really piss me off. You can go around killing stuff as fast as possible and come up 15 seconds short every time because the spawns didn't work out correctly or your military buddies all happened to die. Plus at all times you have a horde of goobers chasing you so if you ever dare to try to fire grenades from the ground, within 2 seconds one of them will run right up to you, eat a grenade, then knock you over.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.