As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just bought it off of Amazon for the PC and I haven't really read up on anything about it. I just know you get to blow stuff up and that's good enough for me!

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm on day 8 in the game, and I've gotta say, the difficulty is starting to catch up with me. Strike teams have actually been a threat to me and hard to shake.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    good thing to remember about strike teams is a head on attack usually gets you out less scathed. doing the fly kick for instance right into their face the homing missiles often miss because you are in beyond their minimum range. they dont turn on a dime.

for example, you see one turning away to do a fly away, spin around, fire rocket. dash after it, glide up to it, dash again, then charged flykick. do this properly and 99% of the time you are within their rocket range.

pretty much i escape strike team damage by equipping muscle mass and just going straight after them like they insulted my mother

sometimes if i mess up this results in karate kicking a rocket tho which you know is a bit embarassing :oops:

time for another far too long combo from morninglord!

three helicopters and you have upgraded muscle mass

1). target 1, karate kick. let yourself fall a bit.

2). target 2, cannonball. let yourself fall a tiny bit.

3). target 3, air tendril devastator. when targetted this has infinite range.

1, 2, 3 strike team gone before touching the ground.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I became a fan of kicking helicopters and whipping them to finish 'em off for a bit, but health bars started to progress and it stopped working in a single-go.

Henroid on
  • Options
    drewethdreweth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dreweth wrote: »
    So if you just want to have a nice mess around game without any stress at all, play up to just before the mission "A Door in the Wall" on an Easy game +.
    You'll know before you start it because the pause screen tells you the name of the mission you can start.

Tons of zombies, hives to mess around in, strike teams rarely fire homing rockets, everything dies equally easily with every power and you barely take any damage from anything. A full hunter flail counter attack, just standing in it in armor, barely takes off an inch of your health bar.

Nothing else is changed except these health and damage values. It's still hella satisfying to blow up tanks and there's a mix of every armor type on the streets. Apcs, normal tanks, tough tanks, but they only come in ones and very rarely twos.

It's basically cheat mode. You are an unstoppable god, do whatever you like with whatever power with no effort.

Some fun things to do on this mode is the ground spike on an enemy tank. It'll die and go flying waaaaay up into the air, you can switch to whipfist, grab it, then chuck it at whatever. Same with helicopters, charged whipfist kill, then grab its corpse and chuck it at the next helicopter. It's all very smooth and fun. Stick a save there and you've got a very good party game or after work murderthon. Anybody of any skill level could run around in such a customised environment and have guaranteed "holy shit look what I just did" fun.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. I jsut bought this game due to the Amazon deal ($40 for anyone who hasn't seen it), and was considering going through on normal or hard mode.

I am going through hard mode on Force Unleashed right now, because I heard that the New Game + option only lets you do the New Game + on a difficulty that you have already beaten.

On Prototype, if you beat the game once, does the New Game + Option work on any difficulty?

Beat it on normal you can do easy and normal +. Hard you start from scratch since there's the achievement tied to it and you can't unlock it until you finish one run through. (I think both easy and normal do this)
    And you really need that run through since you need to game the system.

Late in the game rockets really hurt unless you are able to move around effectively without being stuck on the ground, which takes a bit of practise to be effective at in combat.

If you just want easy smashing fun easy is nothing to be ashamed of.

on the other hand if you can handle the difficulty of Force Unleashed then normal will be a cakewalk.

Thanks for the info!

I know that I started Force Unleashed on hard so I could pop the extra achievement and the new game + mode for hard on the first go round. At first it seemed like a bad idea, and I got my ass handed to me quite a bit. Once I learned how to move, attack, counter, etc., and opened up a few powers, I have had little trouble since.

In other words, for the most part, when I die in Force Unleashed it is because I didn't play as well as I could have. When I play better on the reload, it feels freaking awesome to survive, and occasionally I do feel like I pulled of some Jedi-level moves. Another nice point in Force Unleashed is that even if I die, I keep the Force Points (XP) that I gathered before I died. Is this true for Prototype, or do you have to hit a checkpoint to keep what you have earned?

TL;DR version: If Prototype is based more on skill, and less on luck, then I will be playing the first go round on hard.

dreweth on
    dreweth.jpg
    dreweth.gif
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, now that I've been thinking about my purchase, does the retail copy have a cd-key that can be activated through Steam?

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So if you just want to have a nice mess around game without any stress at all, play up to just before the mission "A Door in the Wall" on an Easy game +.
    You'll know before you start it because the pause screen tells you the name of the mission you can start.

Tons of zombies, hives to mess around in, strike teams rarely fire homing rockets, everything dies equally easily with every power and you barely take any damage from anything. A full hunter flail counter attack, just standing in it in armor, barely takes off an inch of your health bar.

Nothing else is changed except these health and damage values. It's still hella satisfying to blow up tanks and there's a mix of every armor type on the streets. Apcs, normal tanks, tough tanks, but they only come in ones and very rarely twos.

It's basically cheat mode. You are an unstoppable god, do whatever you like with whatever power with no effort.

Some fun things to do on this mode is the ground spike on an enemy tank. It'll die and go flying waaaaay up into the air, you can switch to whipfist, grab it, then chuck it at whatever. Same with helicopters, charged whipfist kill, then grab its corpse and chuck it at the next helicopter. It's all very smooth and fun. Stick a save there and you've got a very good party game or after work murderthon. Anybody of any skill level could run around in such a customised environment and have guaranteed "holy shit look what I just did" fun.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. I jsut bought this game due to the Amazon deal ($40 for anyone who hasn't seen it), and was considering going through on normal or hard mode.

I am going through hard mode on Force Unleashed right now, because I heard that the New Game + option only lets you do the New Game + on a difficulty that you have already beaten.

On Prototype, if you beat the game once, does the New Game + Option work on any difficulty?

Beat it on normal you can do easy and normal +. Hard you start from scratch since there's the achievement tied to it and you can't unlock it until you finish one run through. (I think both easy and normal do this)

Late in the game rockets really hurt unless you are able to move around effectively without being stuck on the ground, which takes a bit of practise to be effective at in combat.

on the other hand if you can handle the difficulty of Force Unleashed then normal will be a cakewalk.

Thanks for the info!

I know that I started Force Unleashed on hard so I could pop the extra achievement and the new game + mode for hard on the first go round. At first it seemed like a bad idea, and I got my ass handed to me quite a bit. Once I learned how to move, attack, counter, etc., and opened up a few powers, I have had little trouble since.

In other words, for the most part, when I die in Force Unleashed it is because I didn't play as well as I could have. When I play better on the reload, it feels freaking awesome to survive, and occasionally I do feel like I pulled of some Jedi-level moves. Another nice point in Force Unleashed is that even if I die, I keep the Force Points (XP) that I gathered before I died. Is this true for Prototype, or do you have to hit a checkpoint to keep what you have earned?

TL;DR version: If Prototype is based more on skill, and less on luck, then I will be playing the first go round on hard.

You can't. :( gotta unlock hard first. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    well you can probably just download a save with hard unlocked.

Yeah, it's cheating, but so what?

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i dont have a problem with it at all

i didnt think of that is all

Morninglord on
  • Options
    VehemVehem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is retarded good times. Sprint grab/throw are probably the most useful powers you can buy early on. Never stop moving, somersaulting over cars and bringing them with you for the briefest of moments before introducing them to your tank buddies.

I think I'm only a few missions away from bullet dive, and I can't wait.

Vehem on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    its best with muscle mass you barely need any height to one shot a tank. without it you need about three times the height

but yeah get enough height it will vaporise an entire intersection plus anything hovering in the air nearby its pretty badass when it happens. even the wrecks disappear, all that is left is orbs

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought elbow drop+musclemass was the best air to ground move, dayumn. Also, they really should have thrown in a consume whilst sprinting move to go with the grab whilst sprint move. Might've made things a litttle too easy though.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    late game i focus on collecting red orbs from tanks and helicopters

like the last boss i kill helicopters and pick up the orbs

only really eat a guy to fill up any gaps so to speak nom nom nom

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    wait.... red orbs refill health? I thought they were all XP orbs, haha. I'm almost through with the game too which makes this all the more weird.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yeah theyre a health refill go get damaged and run through one and watch your health

the ones from little mens dont give you much but tanks and helicopters give you a very nice chunk

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    New best thing: I was on the destroy-the-detectors mission to protect my sis, and I destroyed 80% of them from a block away with whipfist. When you're locked on does heavy whipfist attack have infinite range? It sure seems like it.

The other 20% were on top of the taller buildings, so I jumped up and musclemass-heaved an AC at them. It's a one shot kill, and by the time the soldiers freak out you're already falling out of eyesight. I can't imagine what that looked like from their end.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not infinite.
    But fully charged is huge range.

HAhaha I just bumped into a soldja and he turns, pushes me and goes "What's this a fucking mating dance?"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, I had no idea red orbs were HP, I thought they were XP, too. What are the yellow orbs, then?

Edit: ah, even more HP.

Vehem on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They refill your people-juice-ometer.
    They gotta be XP right?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Everything you do (destroy) gives you some EP, but only police/military/infected/vehicles kills give you health.

When Consuming, those same targets give you more heath, with the bigger targets giving you an increased amount. That is, you get more health from a military dude than a civie, and a Hunter give you more than either.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I just got patsy. And the results have been fucking hilarious.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On last boss, I had to regularly find cover, then consume the hunters that chased me. Hunters make delicious mid-fight snacks :D

Speaking of the last boss fight, tips within:
    Use the dreadspike devastator attack(or whatever the name is of the one that shoots up from the ground) when right next to giant tentacle boss dude to hit it's weak point for massive damage.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    that's not the last boss kasanagi :P

yellow orbs are what I like to call "ginormo snacks" or "mondo munchies."

You need like, four of them? To be max health.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i like stealth cosuming into a base, then killing every one in the place except for three dudes.
    I then patsy on one of them, make them kill him, and then grab the last dude and throw him at his buddy.
    FUN!
    then walk out of the base and blow it up with air strikes + some cars throwed at it

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    basically killing people while also being as much of a dick as possible

hi5 thats basically my modus operandi in prototype :P

i bet that was in the design document somewhere "Absolute destruction: enable dickery at same time."

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the only way this game could be improved is if the sound they made when you are spotted was the same as in metal gear

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I'm now convinced that the game has always wanted you to throw things to destroy enemies.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Damn, I'm running into a really annoying bug.

Some times I'll change powers, but nothing will happen. The icon shows that it went to the new power, but I still have the original. I need to double tap up or go into the menu and toggle it again to get it to work.

Also, I am enjoying Palm Thrust a lot...

Vehem on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've run into that bug on the PS3 version. Then again, it may not be a bug at all and I'm not highlighting the power I think.

I'm not thrilled with how easy it is to jump kick someone in this game. Because I do it unintentionally a lot and it ruins moments like those timed events to kill as many things as possible.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure that's not a bug. That's happened to me a few times and its always when I try to change powers while I'm mid combo or something.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    drewethdreweth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Enjoy.

Thanks for the info!

You can't. :( gotta unlock hard first. :(

Aww aww.

Aww.

dreweth on
    dreweth.jpg
    dreweth.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey man be thankful.

Air blade drop doesn't even one shot tanks on hard.

I'm havng to get creative because if it doesn't kill them half the time you don't bounce up and there are tank barrels watching me slowly recover. These guys have something they want to give me and it really hurts yknow.

Fortuantely muscle mass + Bulletdive will still blow up an entire intersection but you do need a lot more height.
    And cannonball will still one shot a helicopter.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's not a bug. That's happened to me a few times and its always when I try to change powers while I'm mid combo or something.

Actually I started getting it really bad towards the end of the game on the PC version. I was in the final fight and I would open the power wheel - standing still, mind you - select Blade, and then it would flash and nothing would happen. So I hit the shortcut on the d-pad. Nothing happened. Same with armor. I had to end up hitting it about four or five times before it would finally change, and I was doing absolutely nothing else at the time.

Restarting fixed it though.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i like stealth cosuming into a base, then killing every one in the place except for three dudes.
    I then patsy on one of them, make them kill him, and then grab the last dude and throw him at his buddy.
    FUN!
    then walk out of the base and blow it up with air strikes + some cars throwed at it

What if you stealth consume everybody but one guy and then patsy him? Does he just freak out and run?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think they should have done some kind of randomized wardrobe on the civilians. There was way too much repetition. I remember the second Wolfenstein game did something like that.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    FUN!

What if you stealth consume everybody but one guy and then patsy him? Does he just freak out and run?

I did this on a street where it was the only military guy. He cowered and then sort of ran around a bit going noooo nooo.

I took pity on him eventually and eased his panic with a handy nearby zombie to the head.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, it seems to just be a glitch that happens for some reason, I'd guess switching powers to quick or something. After restarting, my power changing is fluid again.

Some of my best moments in this game come from rapidly changing powers and handling a situation deftly. Whipjack a chopper, shoot his buddy down, jump out with hammerfist and drop on the tank, pull out the sword and cut up the other two before bounding away like a demonic bunny.

Vehem on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FUN!

I did this on a street where it was the only military guy. He cowered and then sort of ran around a bit going noooo nooo.

I took pity on him eventually and eased his panic with a handy nearby zombie to the head.

Ha Ha that's awesome. Also does patsy allow you to shoot that military person with a gun without alerting anybody?

One thing about patsy that really bugged me was without the range boost I'd use it and less than a second after the "accusation" animation was complete a rocket would be fired at the guy and I'd get caught in the blast.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find it, but I'm playing PC version and having trouble exiting tanks. Namely, I cannot. I can easily hijack them, but once inside, I can't exit, no matter how much I mash "E". Rebinding to other keys or even mouse buttons does not work. I have to get the thing blown up before I'm free of it. What am I missing?

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had the same problem.

Hold E for about 5 seconds or so. THEN you'll get out.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic