As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    The Legion also came back in time to get one of Luthor's hairs to use for the rejuv too, since his non-Superman DNA is from Lex. Which I guess means Lex is not bald everywhere.

Yeah, they could have used an arm hair, or an eye brow hair.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On average, what's the LCS profit margin on a floppy?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On average, what's the LCS profit margin on a floppy?

According the the Tilting at Windmills running column about owning a comic book store, a shop needs to be making a 50% profit on a $3 book to be stable financially. Assume some flex for a niche market and different definitions of stable, but to the best of my knowledge that's actually pretty standard.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    what it needs to make is irrelevant. If a shop needs to cover $3000/month expenses it can do so by selling 3000 floppies at $4/ea at 25% profit, 1500 of those floppies at 50% profit, or it can augment its sells by however much it needs through toys and trades.

what I'm curious about is how much of the msrp of each floppy does the distributor charge the comic shop.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I think it varies by order size, or at least it used to. I'll ask my retailer friend tomorrow.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Diamond buys books from most publishers for 40% of cost. Retailers buy the books from Diamond at discounts based on volume. Most make about an average of $1 off every comic once you factor in costs and shipping, regardless of cover price. Profit is then based on revenue and expenditures for that particular shop. This of course ignores trades, merchandise, manga, toys, cards, DnD or Warhammer-like stuff. I knew one shop that made more off the dnd stuff and warhammer figures than the actual comics and pokemon and magic cards, at one point, kept another shop in business during rough periods in the late 90s.

KVW on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Question: Is there a reason that most times it's depicted that when Logan and his assorted claw-children pop their claws it doesn't bleed, except when they decide it does? I guess part of it could be blamed on when they wear gloves, but even when they aren't wearing them it usually doesn't.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Question: Is there a reason that most times it's depicted that when Logan and his assorted claw-children pop their claws it doesn't bleed, except when they decide it does? I guess part of it could be blamed on when they wear gloves, but even when they aren't wearing them it usually doesn't.

I'm guessing artistic license.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thought they said back when he lost his adamantium that the healing factor healed it almost instantly. Without the healing factor during that time, he had to keep the claws popped every so often to keep the wounds open so as to not bleed like a pig. In Old Man Logan, he bled since it was so long since he last popped claws and healing factor was slowed. As for that cover with X-23, that's just artistic license I think.

KVW on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Urrghh, I've been reading 52, and I'm almost at the end, but two of the pages in my copy of volume 4 are completely fucked from a print error. The place I got it from was a little small overstocked books shop, and it's been too long to ask for a refund or replacement.

Do I have options here, or am I screwed into buying another copy for my two missing pages?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cut out the offending pages with a razor, buy the single issue containing the pages you need, cut them out, and then very carefully paste them in with some strong, transparent glue?

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    maybe you could email DC publishing?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Type it into google to see if those pages were screwed up with anyone else's trades.

As long as it wasn't in issues #42 or #52 it really shouldn't get in the way of the story (#42 was such a great issue)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It was in week 46, right as
    Black Adam breaks into the Oolong compound. I'm missing the page where the Cale woman talks to Dr. Magnus before she opens the blast doors, and the page where I.Q. rallies all the scientists as they freak out.

I'm mostly bummed out about the cale page. She started talking about the Final Crisis on the page right before, and then this page was completely washed out and dark and lacking text.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Urrghh, I've been reading 52, and I'm almost at the end, but two of the pages in my copy of volume 4 are completely fucked from a print error. The place I got it from was a little small overstocked books shop, and it's been too long to ask for a refund or replacement.

Do I have options here, or am I screwed into buying another copy for my two missing pages?

Buy a new copy from Books a Million or some other major chain bookstore.

Take new copy home.

Return with old copy and receipt.

Be all "turns out I don't want it."

Get refund.

Don't mention printing error or they will try to make you take home yet a third copy of the book in exchange.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    thats called return fraud

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    so what you're suggesting is that you fuck over a store that had nothing to do with the problem

that's a fantastic plan

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    fantastically illegal

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd just go to my local comic shop and pick up issue 46 if they have it. All the 52 books retailed only $2.50. But if you don't live near any comic shops that might be a problem.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should contact the story you bought it from, even though it's been a while. Considering how long books sit on shelves, there's probably a generous time frame in which they can return books to the publisher, and there's no reason they shouldn't help you ought when an exchange or store credit still constitutes breaking even to them.

Failing that, you could just try contacting DC directly, as suggested.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Buy a new copy from Books a Million or some other major chain bookstore.

Take new copy home.

Return with old copy and receipt.

Be all "turns out I don't want it."

Get refund.

Don't mention printing error or they will try to make you take home yet a third copy of the book in exchange.

wow, i thought you were better than this
    this is some terribly juvenile man i just read fight club and man fuck fuck the man g and t level neckbeard douchebaggery right here
    sit in the corner
    :arrow:

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, that was excellent.

I'm just kind of bummed out that I'm missing two pages from my favorite plot thread. I probably will try and hunt down that specific issue, and if my LCS doesn't have it, I'll contact the shop or DC.

Now, a followup:
    Was the Metal Men limited that followed 52 any good? It's coming out in softcover in a couple weeks, and unless it's absolutely terrible, I'd love to pick it up. Will Magnus and the Metal Men are quickly becoming my favorite DCU characters after 52 and Wednesday Comics.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so what you're suggesting is that you fuck over a store that had nothing to do with the problem

that's a fantastic plan

Well if DC or the store he bought it from won't give him a refund he could always choose to sell it to someone and make his money back. Someone, somewhere has to eat the results of a printing error.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, that was excellent.

I'm just kind of bummed out that I'm missing two pages from my favorite plot thread. I probably will try and hunt down that specific issue, and if my LCS doesn't have it, I'll contact the shop or DC.

Now, a followup:
    Was the Metal Men limited that followed 52 any good? It's coming out in softcover in a couple weeks, and unless it's absolutely terrible, I'd love to pick it up. Will Magnus and the Metal Men are quickly becoming my favorite DCU characters after 52 and Wednesday Comics.
    Ehhh, it's all right, but to be honest I didn't buy the last two issues and have no real desire to.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Duncan Rouleau should stick to being an artist. His art is fantastic.

Metal Men was eight issues of "What the hell? They're in the past now? Now the future? When were the Metal Men created? Huh?"

It was supposed to follow the Superman/Batman arc that reintroduced the MM to the DCU, but that was apparently a bad arc as well (not to mention it had Pat Lee art, with which he probably never paid the people he owed money too from Dreamwave)

It's biggest problem is that it was an eight issue monthly book that could only be fully understood if you read them all in one sitting. It was made for the trade but cut up to release monthly. You have to throw monthly readers a bone in making it more accessible to a monthly format.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ringo wrote: »

that's a fantastic plan

Well if DC or the store he bought it from won't give him a refund he could always choose to sell it to someone and make his money back. Someone, somewhere has to eat the results of a printing error.

are you really advocating dicking another comic fan? That will foster a good sense of community!

Does anyone know what is going on with The Goon? Is the Chinatown thing good? It is a seperate graphic novel, not included in other trades?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Goon: Chinatown is considered the 6th volume on the story although it doesn't say so on the cover. It's a pure flashback story and I think it's required reading for Goon fans. The next two trades that came out recently are marked volume 7 and 8 which kinda confirms Chinatowns volume 6 status anyway. And about the status of the Goon, the later volumes are a bit more serious than the previous ones but it's still a great story. Plus you've got the Goon/Dethklok crossover book coming out this month.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    The Goon: Chinatown is considered the 6th volume on the story although it doesn't say so on the cover. It's a pure flashback story and I think it's required reading for Goon fans. The next two trades that came out recently are marked volume 7 and 8 which kinda confirms Chinatowns volume 6 status anyway. And about the status of the Goon, the later volumes are a bit more serious than the previous ones but it's still a great story. Plus you've got the Goon/Dethklok crossover book coming out this month.

Sweet! Thanks. I've been debating the next series I will collect, between more Goon (I have volume 1 somewhere) or starting BPRD.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I recently got back into comics through the marvel ultimates stuff but have been reading a range of trades since then. Now I have a soft spot for the ultimates stuff because it got me back into comics and I (think)am fairly up to date with everything.

I went into town today and saw that the tpb for ultimates 3 was out as well as the 'march on ultimatum' and 'ultimatum: xmen and f4' premier hc's . Now instead of buying these I got a bunch of geoff johns green lantern trades and some more scott pilgrim but I do want to pick them up at some time.

My question being (if anyone knows) will the xmen f4 book be necessary or will that stuff be in the next ff4 and xmen big hc's that come out? and also will all the other ultimatum stuff along with ultimates 3 be getting chucked into a big hc?

Oh yeah I already had ultimate origins hc plus all the large hc's for spiderman f4 and xmen so I think I'm up to date with it all.

Long rambling question but just looking to save myself some effort and money (plus I like big hc's.)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    So I recently got back into comics through the marvel ultimates stuff but have been reading a range of trades since then. Now I have a soft spot for the ultimates stuff because it got me back into comics and I (think)am fairly up to date with everything.

I went into town today and saw that the tpb for ultimates 3 was out as well as the 'march on ultimatum' and 'ultimatum: xmen and f4' premier hc's . Now instead of buying these I got a bunch of geoff johns green lantern trades and some more scott pilgrim but I do want to pick them up at some time.

My question being (if anyone knows) will the xmen f4 book be necessary or will that stuff be in the next ff4 and xmen big hc's that come out? and also will all the other ultimatum stuff along with ultimates 3 be getting chucked into a big hc?

Oh yeah I already had ultimate origins hc plus all the large hc's for spiderman f4 and xmen so I think I'm up to date with it all.

Long rambling question but just looking to save myself some effort and money (plus I like big hc's.)

Ultimate Origins is the only good book of those you mentioned (but it might not even connect with the Ultimatum series).

The FF/X-Men story was just filler, from what I've read about it.

Ultimates 3 is a bad story worth ignoring. The characterization from prior works is non-existant, the simple story telling structure of of it is flawed from the beginning, it has terrible one-liners, lacks subtlety, and is the perfect example of how to kill a series. Even if you liked Loeb's work on other series, this is so much worse. And it is a dead horse type thing here, but a bad story is a bad story, and if a writer keeps making bad stories well, it's their fault.

Just look up the Wikipedia entry for the Ultimates and save your money.

This is a pretty spot-on review of the first issue of Ultimates 3 for you to consider before purchasing. He goes on to review the other issues ( 2, 3, 4, and 5, plus a a review of the whole series)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah that sucks to hear. I had kind of hoped that the ultimates universe would continue to be good and I wouldn't want to skip any of the stuff from it.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Ah that sucks to hear. I had kind of hoped that the ultimates universe would continue to be good and I wouldn't want to skip any of the stuff from it.

In August, Ultimate Avengers is coming around, which is the true successor to the Ultimates.

So, at least you've got that to look forward to.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

that's a fantastic plan

returning defective-from-distributor merchandise with a wholesale value of probably 8-ish dollars to a store that size is not fucking it. It's not even fingering it or feeling it up. At the best, it's blowing it a kiss without even making eye contact.

Working at a major retail chain for like 6 years, defecting out merchandise isn't shit. If it's worth the store's time they'll return it to their vendor for reimbursement, but with such inexpensive merchandise, they'd just cut it up and throw it away. You'd be surprised how many books get defected out just from the wear and tear of people reading them in the store.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was at the movies today and saw an advertisement for a Bizarro rollercoaster at Six Flags. Has anyone ridden it yet? Is it awesome?

I haven't been to Six Flags in a while, but that original Batman coaster was badass.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    way>9000way>9000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    what issue of batman does
    bruce wayne
    die in?
    and who takes over?
    AND if i were to start reading batman where would that be?
    (i read mostly marvel but am looking to diversify)

way>9000 on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There was a storyline, early-to-mid 2000s, Wolverine, solo title. It was Wolverine and Beast getting sent to prison. We see them team up with a 70s Brotherhood member, Peepers, and we find out that in prison, everyone fears Batroc the Leaper and the Kangaroo. In a similar timeframe, they introduced Mr. X. Are either of these stories in trades? I have the first couple issues of the first arc and the last issue of the second, and always was interested in how it played out. (At the time, I was too young to drive, so I had to ride my bike to the comic store. If it got too hot or cold, then I didn't get comics.)

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    way>9000 wrote: »
    bruce wayne
    die in?
    and who takes over?

Depends how you ask; he really "died" in Final Crisis, but in reality he's not "dead" but rather traveling through time due to the Omega Effect.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    way>9000 wrote: »
    bruce wayne
    die in?
    and who takes over?

Honestly, you'd be best served by going to the comic shop, and picking up the most recent two issues of Batman by Judd Winick and Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison. It won't explain everything, but you'd really need to have a heavy hand in DC myth to really enjoy the stories that brought about the situation in the first place. Morrison's Wayne Batman run and Final Crisis might be somewhat impenetrable to a DC outsider (in spite of the fact that they are at the top of the New York Times graphic novel list at the moment).

So:
    Batman 687, 688 - The first will pretty much give you a quick recap over Battle for the Cowl, which was more or less just useless filler, and show you the real transition. The second is just a lot of fun.
    Batman and Robin 1 & 2 - The main Bat title for the time being; these are fun, continuity-free books.
    Streets of Gotham 1 & 2 - If you're digging those two, and looking for a third book, this is it. Focuses more on the criminals and cops, rather than on the new Dynamic Duo.

Those would really be the cheap and easy place to jump in without dealing with the heavy weight of previous story. They set up the new status quo, and part of that status quo is not looking back. If you're really into it, and feeling bold, then you can pick up the collected editions of Batman & Son, The Black Glove, Batman RIP, and Final Crisis to maybe get the full picture of what went down.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There was a storyline, early-to-mid 2000s, Wolverine, solo title. It was Wolverine and Beast getting sent to prison. We see them team up with a 70s Brotherhood member, Peepers, and we find out that in prison, everyone fears Batroc the Leaper and the Kangaroo. In a similar timeframe, they introduced Mr. X. Are either of these stories in trades? I have the first couple issues of the first arc and the last issue of the second, and always was interested in how it played out. (At the time, I was too young to drive, so I had to ride my bike to the comic store. If it got too hot or cold, then I didn't get comics.)

I remember this story, but I can't remember seeing it in a trade. I can tell you that it was written by Frank Tieri, though. I want to say that the floppy issues were between #150 and #170 somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I remember that too. Wolverine had some weird gloves on holding in his claws and there was a power dampener keeping his healing factor down, right?

ManonvonSuperock on