As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) - ITT we stop buying the Runed Axe already!

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw he had a pet and could be a tank/melee himself in bear form and it reminded me of good times in WoW on my Feral Druid tearing people up and main tanking Kara back when it was hard. Still looking at the Hellbourne for someone as well, since for thsoe times when it's good vs. evil and the rest of PA are evil that time, I'll need someone....evil.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Isn't he Lone Druid? Does his bear still have his own inventory?

Edit: Horrible top of page, lemme fix that

He's a solid choice and as far as I can remember in DOTA he had 2 distinct builds plus variations, you could go without the bear, building him as a ranged DPSer with enrage or melee even and the build where you play Pimp mah bear and get a radiance on him, allowing him to burn people even when you're regenning at the fountain. I'll go check him out now, gotta get used to multi unit selection.

I've barely played the game so far but it seems to me bear shennanigans were restricted when I played this hero. If my bear strayed to far from my hero he would automatically pop back next to me

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unless they changed how it works in HoN, the bear will return to your heroes position if it attacks while too far away. But if you micro the bear so it never attacks, it will never return.

However, Radiance Bear is a terrible idea and only good for screwing around.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Yeah, melee shit is HARD. I have seen people who are excellent, though frankly I don't understand how they do it. Getting harassed constantly like that is frustrating as all hell. I enjoy being ranged though, especially Moon goddess - that bouncing glaive (or whatever) constantly harassing even when you're not trying is awesome.

Melee heroes are hard to get proficient with but by far, the most powerful in the game.
    Unless they changed how it works in HoN, the bear will return to your heroes position if it attacks while too far away. But if you micro the bear so it never attacks, it will never return.

However, Radiance Bear is a terrible idea and only good for screwing around.

He is exactly the same.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw he had a pet and could be a tank/melee himself in bear form and it reminded me of good times in WoW on my Feral Druid tearing people up and main tanking Kara back when it was hard. Still looking at the Hellbourne for someone as well, since for thsoe times when it's good vs. evil and the rest of PA are evil that time, I'll need someone....evil.

Was already mentioned but barely anyone doesn't allow all picks or all random from both sides. You don't need to pick one on each side.

Yeah the radiance bear is for fucking around but it's very fun if you can do it vs some noobs :P
    As long as it doesn't attack it can chase people around while Frenzied and with some boots, burning them all the way to the fountain.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    The Space PopeThe Space Pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ok whos gonna hook me up with a beta key. I'm in need of doing some creep denials. Also how many heroes are there now? Thats the only thing I like from dota, their vast amount of heroes to choose from. just send me a pm.

The Space Pope on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Melee heroes are hard to get proficient with but by far, the most powerful in the game.
    Definitely not true, unless you consider 'late game carry' as the most powerful in the game. Ranged INT by far makes up the strongest heroes in the game.

P10 on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well played my first game today, and I feel bad that I didn't carry my weight since we lost. Than again, I was a guy that I didn't do any research on so I had no idea what to do with him.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God damn madman. He's so powerful.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    codechinocodechino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    beta keys still available?

codechino on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aye, I'd love a beta invite.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    cfratcfrat Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    If anyone still has an extra beta key, I would appreciate it.
    -Cfrat

cfrat on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone want to in-house right now? I'm on and getting the feel for various heroes. Played dota for 4 years, but it looks like they have some new faces.

Also - in the original post...can someone put the channel we should meet or idle in? Is it PA? Penny-arcade? Or what?

I'm in PA right now.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Definitely not true, unless you consider 'late game carry' as the most powerful in the game. Ranged INT by far makes up the strongest heroes in the game.

Couldn't be more incorrect.

Past the early game, ranged intelligence heroes are most certainly not the strongest. Melee heroes are weak starters, strong finishers. Past the early game, melee heroes comes into their own and are far, far more powerful.

Just because Ranged Intelligence heroes are easier for you to play and you get to cast "purty spellz," doesn't make them the best, believe it or not. Melee heroes are the strongest, game winning heroes in the game. Unless you can defeat a melee team within the first hand full of levels, you will lose.

This is considering the players in control know what they're doing.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Past the early game, ranged intelligence heroes are most certainly not the strongest. Melee heroes are weak starters, strong finishers. Past the early game, melee heroes comes into their own and are far, far more powerful.

Just because Ranged Intelligence heroes are easier for you to play and you get to cast "purty spellz," doesn't make them the best, believe it or not. Melee heroes are the strongest, game winning heroes in the game. Unless you can defeat a melee team within the first hand full of levels, you will lose.

So I guess top picks/bans like Krob, Necro, Engima, Rhasta, Warlock, Puck, Zeus and Chen are all chosen for their 'purty spellz'?

P10 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

So I guess top picks/bans like Krob, Necro, Engima, Rhasta, Warlock, Puck, Zeus and Chen are all chosen for their 'purty spellz'?

They're easy to play, safe, early game powerhouses, no argument there.

I was looking at things over the course of a full game, lasting up into the higher levels. Melee heroes always come into their own late game and melee dominate in this arena.

How much HoN have you played recently, just out of curiosity? Differences in perspective may be causing your confusion.

Another thought. If you stacked up all the melee heroes and all the ranged intelligence heroes up together, comparing their power...i'm sure you'd get different results. With a great deal of ranged heroes being "ranged support" you can't consider these heroes powerful in the same respect as N'aix is.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I was looking at things over the course of a full game, lasting up into the higher levels. Melee heroes always come into their own late game and melee dominate in this arena.

How much HoN have you played recently, just out of curiosity? Differences in perspective may be causing your confusion.

Another thought. If you stacked up all the melee heroes and all the ranged intelligence heroes up together, comparing their power...i'm sure you'd get different results. With a great deal of ranged heroes being "ranged support" you can't consider these heroes powerful in the same respect as N'aix is.
    I'm talking about heroes who win games. As opposed to 'win games if the game lasts until level 25 and can farm 20K worth of items'.

P10 on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, they're equally valuable. Shutup.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fun game - my name there is the same as here, for the OP. I also have beta keys burning a hole in my inbox, if anyone still needs them - PM plz kthx?

ultraexactzz on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I'm talking about heroes who win games. As opposed to 'win games if the game lasts until level 25 and can farm 20K worth of items'.

Heroes who win games? Your lack of experience is becoming very apparent the more you babel on. Ranged intelligence heroes "win games" only if some powerful melee isn't doing his job correctly. It's clear you don't to do much DotA playing. That's alright.

Good melee heroes don't need level 25 or 20k worth of items to do well.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, int heroes are supposed to stop carries from developing into monster beasts because they scale better. They both do important things.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually from my experience in league games, the ones who really win the games are the heroes with the rediculous AOE ults.

redraptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    redraptor wrote: »
    Actually from my experience in league games, the ones who really win the games are the heroes with the rediculous AOE ults.
    Aka, Int heroes.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aka, Int heroes.

Tidehunter...Rooftrellen...ES...

Kinda with Lawinator on this one.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well like...the tree's move, chronosphere, luna, earthshaker, not exactly int. But I'm talking dota here so yea, everything has their role.

edit: this man has stolen my words
    edit: I was gonna log in and see if anyone wanted to play but the client stalls on loggin in... anyone else?

redraptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well like...the tree's move, chronosphere, luna, earthshaker, not exactly int. But I'm talking dota here so yea, everything has their role.

edit: this man has stolen my words
    edit: I was gonna log in and see if anyone wanted to play but the client stalls on loggin in... anyone else?

I was actually in a game with a friend when I got kicked and it said "failure to authenticate user name. Try loggin in again"

When I tried, it stalled and gave me "bad data."

So you, my friend, and I are all in the same boat.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Aka, Int heroes.

Enigma, Krob, Puck, Warlock, CM, Necro all see more play. ES however is constantly banned. There's also int pushers who fit into the metagame, like Rhasta and Chen, and gankers, like Tinker or Lion.

The team that won the World Cyber Games Asian tournament played a 4 int hero team in the final and absolutely crushed their opponent. The game was 7 int heros out of 10. With 3 strength heroes who aren't really carries.

P10 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well I'd love to be able to play but apparently the login server that my info is on is being worked on so I can't connect. :(

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Aka, Int heroes.

Enigma, Krob, Puck, Warlock, CM, Necro all see more play. ES however is constantly banned. There's also int pushers who fit into the metagame, like Rhasta and Chen, and gankers, like Tinker or Lion.

The team that won the World Cyber Games Asian tournament played a 4 int hero team in the final and absolutely crushed their opponent. The game was 7 int heros out of 10. With 3 strength heroes who aren't really carries.

I'm not denying that they can be used effectively if and only if

1. The team is very well coordinated
    2. The team picks int. heroes that synergize well
    3. The team beats the opposing team relatively quickly.

If those three things don't fall into place - and pretty damn well - things start to fall apart.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stop shitting DotA into this thread. For comparison's sake, it's fine, but to call out DotA's specific heroes as to why heroes in HoN are good or not is downright stupid. Pollywog Priest seems much weaker in HoN than in DotA. In DotA, lightning and ensare was good enough to heavily damage heroes, which is not the case in HoN. Lots of the nuances in the way the game has changed prevent this from being close to an apples-to-apples comparison. All of you experienced DotA players know it to, and you probably noticed that lots of things that used to help you survive a gank in DotA don't work so well in HoN.

TLDR: While this game is based on DotA, it isn't the same and the same rules clearly don't apply.

Pissed because the server is down. Hopefully they're patching.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish I could donate gold to power up my creep or tower like Demigod.
    It will be interesting to the competition between the 4 games.

Dota vs HoN vs LoL vs Demigod

HoN and LoL will probably be the winners being free to play.
    HoN will probably replace Dota.
    Pity i don't have an LoL Beta so I can't compare LoL.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DotA is on its way out. Its graphics are awful and its gameplay is jerky. You don't really notice how bad it is until you play the other three. DG is dead because its player base was never there (in part due to the shitty netcode it had at launch).

LoL is a different AoS as opposed to a clone of DotA. It has a nice style and a much smoother learning curve. A couple of nice things in LoL are the item buying guide, which essentially tells you the top six items you should buy for the hero [variations can exist to your play style, but for the most part, they are very good choices]. Additionally, small things like not losing gold on death (because it slows the game down) and giving everyone a free port back to base (speeds the game pace up a bit and lets you go out of the base more) make LoL a nice choice. LoL is good, but unlike HoN, it isn't based off of DotA.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait what is LoL?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait what is LoL?

League of Legend.
    A Dota like game made by the orignal Creators of Dota
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends:_Clash_of_Fates

Like HoN it's currently on BETA invite only.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There should be a list of people that want keys on the first page or something. Having said that, I could use one if someone ends up with an extra.

Are there a lot of changes, mechanically? Like, does Luna's attack function with deso and the other ones that broke it? Or did they leave it that way for balance or whatever?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually had a lot of fun playing with the PA people last night. Archonwarp is pretty friendly and tends to give good advice to the new players. We just need to find a way of learning what everyone's playing level is and then organize the teams in such a way as to make them a bit more balanced - seems like the games are a total stomp for one side or the other.

But I think over time that'll change - once people become acclimated with the game style and chars, things should be looking up.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never actually played DotA, but I figure now is just as good a time as any to start.

Anyone have a key? joahw1@gmail.com

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my account for this is brt
    is there a PA clan type thing?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my account for this is brt
    is there a PA clan type thing?