As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I read (on Kotaku?) that they're releasing Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta on a disc sometime before fall.

EDIT:

Anyone know how to get better performance out of this game? I suspect it might be the mods, but I'm not certain. It just seems like it stutters and lags a bit, which I dislike. I've got decent hardware for it.

3 ghz Core 2 Duo
    4gb 1066 ram
    Ati 4770 512mb card
    Windows 7 RC

This is at 1680x1050, no aa, 8xaf

Any ideas?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    I read (on Kotaku?) that they're releasing Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta on a disc sometime before fall.

EDIT:

Anyone know how to get better performance out of this game? I suspect it might be the mods, but I'm not certain. It just seems like it stutters and lags a bit, which I dislike. I've got decent hardware for it.

3 ghz Core 2 Duo
    4gb 1066 ram
    Ati 4770 512mb card
    Windows 7 RC

This is at 1680x1050, no aa, 8xaf

Any ideas?

1.) They're actually releasing Broken Steel and Point Lookout on a disc come September, hence my question.
    2.) The only thing I can suggest is to turn some settings down.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wouldn't surprise me if there's one more dlc to come out, theres enough gamerpoints left for another one and would fit on another bundle with zeta.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wouldn't surprise me if there's one more dlc to come out, theres enough gamerpoints left for another one and would fit on another bundle with zeta.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/31/mothership-zeta-is-final-fallout-3-dlc/
    It appears that Fallout 3's Mothership Zeta is the last DLC adventure for the (anti-)hero from Vault 101. MTV Multiplayer took note of the wording on Bethesda's website for the game, which states that the latest piece of content is the post-nuclear saga's "final DLC."

We're currently following up with Bethesda to see if they have called it quits on the Wasteland, which means that the next time we'll be hearing from the world of Fallout will be during our trip to New Vegas next year. Come on, Bethesda. There's still some uranium to squeeze from the glowing stone.

Update: Bethesda says "never say 'never,' but this is the last DLC we have planned."

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah Broken Steel was the "last dlc we have planned" too.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not sure how I feel about Mothership Zeta quite yet.

I hope it gets better.

Gary.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had Fallout 3 on my PS3, but I traded it on Goozex and got a copy for my PC, largely because I wanted to play the DLC and bought into the mod hype.

JOKE'S ON ME!

My connection to the marketplace times out on every PC in my house. On top of that the DLC is coming to PS3.

BWAHAHAHA!

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Make sure you have the latest version of the Live client. I think this is it: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9640147

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    wow they have come full circle in terms of dlc quality, i'm struggling to think which i consider better, zeta or anchorage but better should not be used when referencing these two dlcs.
    samurai armour.

o_O

/nma

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    wow they have come full circle in terms of dlc quality, i'm struggling to think which i consider better, zeta or anchorage but better should not be used when referencing these two dlcs.
    samurai armour.

o_O

/nma

I think you're right. They kinda peaked with the last one, I guess.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah Broken Steel was the "last dlc we have planned" too.

Where'd they say that? I've got a few podcast/interviews where Howard and a few other devs never explicitly said it was the last; they definitely kept the door open for future content with their comments.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Without too many spoilers... are the alien weapons actually going to be useful for me when I finally get this? I never use the alien blaster simply because the power cells are extremely limited. What about the new alien weapons? Can I use them as much as I want?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Without too many spoilers... are the alien weapons actually going to be useful for me when I finally get this? I never use the alien blaster simply because the power cells are extremely limited. What about the new alien weapons? Can I use them as much as I want?

The new weapons are weaker then the alien blaster you get in vanilla.

LOL.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The new weapons are weaker then the alien blaster you get in vanilla.

LOL.

True. The only good thing I've found thus far is some decent amount of ammo for the alien blaster...which I found out in the Wasteland and NOT in the ship, strangely enough.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just wish they had a downloadable pack with most if not all of the dlc, because I didn't buy any of it before and i'm cautious on spending 50 bucks worth of dlc buying them individually

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just wish they had a downloadable pack with most if not all of the dlc, because I didn't buy any of it before and i'm cautious on spending 50 bucks worth of dlc buying them individually

Aren't they coming out with a GOTY edition with everything in a few months (october?)

Duffel on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So consensus is that I should wait until the Mothership Gary mod comes out and replaces the grays with Gary?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nice to know that my game still crashes for no reason at all, patched up to 1.7. I guess the choice is to play with very limited or no mods and don't crash, or play with fun mods and crash.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Aren't they coming out with a GOTY edition with everything in a few months (october?)

steam pc version.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    Nice to know that my game still crashes for no reason at all, patched up to 1.7. I guess the choice is to play with very limited or no mods and don't crash, or play with fun mods and crash.

I don't crash and I use mods, of course I am the sorcerer of Fallout 3 and know the secret karmic load order as written by Nostradamus and his team of Bhuddist slap-monks

Robman on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Update: Bethesda says "never say 'never,' but this is the last DLC we have planned."
    Yeah, this is probably it. I really can't imagine why they'd give up developing new DLC for this game, though. I have to imagine it's profitable, and would keep people buying the game. Of course I felt the same way about Oblivion, and that was left out in the cold after Shivering Isles. So much wasted potential.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Yeah, this is probably it. I really can't imagine why they'd give up developing new DLC for this game, though. I have to imagine it's profitable, and would keep people buying the game. Of course I felt the same way about Oblivion, and that was left out in the cold after Shivering Isles. So much wasted potential.

They are actually making another oblivion dlc, not official announced yet but a dev on the forum confirmed its in the works.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Soooo...
    What's up with that weapons bench thingy in the Captain's Quarters? I beat the DLC, and can beam back and forth from the ship and wastelands. Trying to use the weapons bench simply tells me I don't know how to make weapons yet?

Metallikat on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gary, Gary? Hahaha Gary!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They are actually making another oblivion dlc, not official announced yet but a dev on the forum confirmed its in the works.
    Are they really? That's...hmm.

Seems kind of an odd move this late in the game. I'd think they'd be working on TES V at this point (though maybe they're doing both).

Well in any case, hopefully they'll keep adding Fallout 3 DLC. I'd hate to have to wait for New Vegas for wasteland hopping goodness.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Are they really? That's...hmm.

Seems kind of an odd move this late in the game. I'd think they'd be working on TES V at this point (though maybe they're doing both).

Well in any case, hopefully they'll keep adding Fallout 3 DLC. I'd hate to have to wait for New Vegas for wasteland hopping goodness.

Common concenus is that its something to tie oblivion into tes v (not that its really needed) or that the dev in question was smoking pot at the time.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, oblivion came out what, like four years ago?

Have we actually heard any information at all on TES 5? Setting or anything like that? I was under the impression that Bethesda had been so wrapped up in Fallout for the last couple of years that they weren't even started on it yet.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oblivion still has a strong mod community and looks pretty enough, I think the old girl has a few years left in her yet. And with Oblivion selling on Steam, I kind of get the feeling TES5 will be announced very late in the development cycle.

Robman on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Have we actually heard any information at all on TES 5? Setting or anything like that? I was under the impression that Bethesda had been so wrapped up in Fallout for the last couple of years that they weren't even started on it yet.

The name Skyrim has been trademarked for a while now, and one of the key lore writers has been throwing around a lot of hints towards a game being set there.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Oblivion still has a strong mod community and looks pretty enough, I think the old girl has a few years left in her yet. And with Oblivion selling on Steam, I kind of get the feeling TES5 will be announced very late in the development cycle.

If you get the high-res texture mods, Oblivion easily looks better than vanilla Fallout (and there's tex packs for that, too). I'm not surprised they're still making DLC for it, since a single dev with a couple hours a week could probably churn out a short quest and a couple of items every 3 months.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The name Skyrim has been trademarked for a while now, and one of the key lore writers has been throwing around a lot of hints towards a game being set there.

i really hope it isnt, it would just be oblivion covered in snow and everyone voiced by wonder woman.

i want black marsh or at least a steampunk tes.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

If you get the high-res texture mods, Oblivion easily looks better than vanilla Fallout (and there's tex packs for that, too). I'm not surprised they're still making DLC for it, since a single dev with a couple hours a week could probably churn out a short quest and a couple of items every 3 months.

It's the procedurally generated greenery. Oblivion looks better, the better your computer is. On my current rig the game is still gorgeous, and easily has the prettiest fantasy countryside in any video game ever. The setting also manages to feel old, and the ruins suggest more arcane mystery that has been lost over the ages then the LotR MMO.

Say what you will about Bestheda, they fucking nail the feeling of ancient ruins in their games.

Robman on
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just reinstalled with most of the mods on the recommended list. Made my way into some subway tunnels (Warrington, I think) whilst looking for the Ghouls disturbing Tenpenny Tower--I ran into this one giant, glowing ghoul, aptly named Glowing One--boy he kicked my ass. Not even a bottlecap mine scratched him. I'm only level 2. I guess I'm not going back in there for a while.

I love encountering mobs like that with these overhaul mods. Also, the strength of radiation after installing the balance mod (XFO) is down-right nasty. I love it. Man, I feel bad for people that own this game on console. Same goes for Oblivion.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

i really hope it isnt, it would just be oblivion covered in snow and everyone voiced by wonder woman.

i want black marsh or at least a steampunk tes.

Yeah, plus we already had Bloodmoon which was all I needed to see of that part of the world.

I was hoping for some desert, personally (Hammerfell/Elsewyr), since we've never really seen that (except the volcanic desert in Morrowind which was ugly as hell).

It also brings up the question of where Fallout 4 is going to be set and what it's going to be about. I'm going with the Commonwealth right now, since they're dropping too many hints about it not to be setting something up.

Duffel on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Question: Did anyone ever make a mod that'd let you enchant weapons?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Let's see. Where haven't we explored in Fallout?

We've got Toronto, the NYC area, Florida, The Midwest, The Commonwealth, the Vancouver area, England... lots of places.

Robman on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh Gaaaaryyyy!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Let's see. Where haven't we explored in Fallout?

We've got Toronto, the NYC area, Florida, The Midwest, The Commonwealth, the Vancouver area, England... lots of places.

I'd personally like to see the greater New England/Atlantic northeast area - Vermont, Delaware, Boston, Cape Cod, Connecticut etc. Pretty ambitious but doable, and very, very American (imagine snobby Boston Brahmins in their pre-war finest hunting raiders like ducks and then dining on mutant-shrimp cocktails and three-headed lobster).

EDIT: Hell, imagine how much fun they could have with the Ivy League. You get recruited by one of the Ivies (you get to choose, like in the Pitt) to help them out with their annual football game. The stadium's full of preppy kids in ancient, torn college sweatshirts and drunken alumni (all of them shooting guns off in the air, of course - this is the apocalypse), the football itself is rigged to explode if the game starts getting uninteresting and the linebacker on the opposing team is a Super Mutant with a very questionable scholarship. They'd probably have to change the names of the schools around a little bit though, but it could be extremely fun and very Fallout if they did it right.

NYC, on the other hand, really needs a game all to itself. Or at least NY state plus NYC.

Duffel on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mothership Zeta should be so fun, seeing the world from the outside.

Having that data should make mods and areas more interesting with the G.E.C.K.

Hawk on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mexico and South America could be really interesting - makeshift cities built inside old Aztec ruins and jungle wildlife that's already more than fucked up in real life twisted goodness knows how far with post-war radiation. Imagine those river fish that jump out of the water and latch on inside your dick, now with craaaaazy radiation powers that turn whomever they latch onto an unwilling slave (and gives a worthy reason to finally patch in groin shots!).

I actually kinda' don't want an official take on the midwest, mainly because since there's shit worthy of interest out there it's free for players to come up with whatever the hell they want.

Sorenson on