Options

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I don't see how setting a Fallout game in Central America would be any different than what we got already.

Trash strewn, inhospitable wasteland? Check. People living is shitty shacks? Check. Inedible food and undrinkable water? Check. Monstrous and deadly insects? Check. Silly currency? Check. Gross generalization of a geographic area? I'll chalk that one down as a 'maybe' :P.

I do have to give Bethesda credit; Fallout 3 is one of the first games (except for maybe Just Cause and it kinda... sucked) where you can actually play as a Hispanic character. Definitely the first character-generator game I've seen with that option.

Snake Vargas!

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Trebz wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Trebz wrote: »
    Also, I really would like to at least find out what happened outside of the US, maybe visit China or England. I'm certain that there's enough going on in China to warrant at least an expansion pack.
    Japan would be interesting if only for how completily fucked up shit would probably be over there. Given the nationalistic bent that the FO US has been on, does that mean they truncated the reconstruction efforts in Japan and Europe, or maybe didn't even bother and went with the "you started it, so fuck you" mentality from post-WWI? Would they still have been phobic of the N-word, or would the potential fuck-you by the US drive them to pursue nukes as vengeance, being one of the first to take potshots at the US when the nuke-shootin' started? And what about Russia and Germany?

EDIT: One thing I'd like to see is maybe some exposition on all of the current rather radical forces that we have in the US and how they would've panned out after the bombs fell. Like maybe down in Florida you've got a bunch of fundie christians who're establishing their own kingdom of God or whatever, or the leftovers of the south Did Rise Again and re-established the confederacy with state-enforced slavery for non-caucasians, or maybe the Fifth Column took over Illinois. Beats me where the Jewish Defense League would hole up, though.

I'm wondering, what if a smaller country like Japan was actually just wiped out by the bombs and is pretty much eliminated? The US isn't getting on very well as it is, with a good percentage of it people giving up on any hope of a better life and I can't imagine how well a country much smaller is surviving, even if it wasn't directly bombed.

There are just so many ways that we could get exposition on how an entire planet dealt with massive nuclear holocaust, and so far the IP's been stuck with covering how the US dealt with it. I'm betting that if the Fallout franchise continues for much longer, Bethesda will have to start covering the other sides of the Great War. It makes sense.

Unfortunately that would mean voice acting for Russia and China. Oh boy.

Haven't they mentioned canada several times, and that it is doing quasi-ok? That was the impression I got.

Of course that may as well be america too.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Considering how much Fallout's rooted in all the nuclear war myths (not to mention the 99% of life getting eradicated in less than two hours bit from the FO1 opening) I'd say Canada's as much a crapsack world as anywhere else barring places like the institute. 'course, given 200 years it's also probable that at least SOME areas have managed to get shit organized to the point where they can really start rebuilding society, not to mention with all that glorious to-the-imagination SCIENCE! of the FO world they'd have the means to do so fairly rapidly after a while.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, Liberty Prime is the best thing ever.
    IT IS PREFERABLE TO FACE DEATH, THAN COMMUNISM

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    So is there a transcript of the audi things yet? I got a lot of them, not sure if I missed any but I do know that I don't know what th ey were doing up there, just making
    abominations
    for whatever reason.

Also boring enemies, 2 types and apparently shielded so that you can hit them with a shotgun all day in some cases and in others they go down in one hit.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Foolish Aliens. So advanced and yet so primitive. They thought they could keep me, the mother-fucking God-Emperor of the Wastes down with glowing sticks?! MWHA HA HA HA!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Considering how much Fallout's rooted in all the nuclear war myths (not to mention the 99% of life getting eradicated in less than two hours bit from the FO1 opening) I'd say Canada's as much a crapsack world as anywhere else barring places like the institute. 'course, given 200 years it's also probable that at least SOME areas have managed to get shit organized to the point where they can really start rebuilding society, not to mention with all that glorious to-the-imagination SCIENCE! of the FO world they'd have the means to do so fairly rapidly after a while.

Yeah, I am guessing most of canada is fubar'd, but it sounded like they had at least one city that was still mostly intact/functional, probably several given it's a, uh, commonwealth? I doubt anyone would waste too many nukes on canada, probably just hit the biggest areas.

They were able to build/repair androids, and install cybernetics. So they have to have some pretty decent manufacturing capabilities.

Morkath on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Foolish Aliens. So advanced and yet so primitive. They thought they could keep me, the mother-fucking God-Emperor of the Wastes down with glowing sticks?! MWHA HA HA HA!

Incredible. The alien was impervious to our most powerful magnetic field, yet he was destroyed by a harmless shotgun.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

Yeah, I am guessing most of canada is fubar'd, but it sounded like they had at least one city that was still mostly intact/functional, probably several given it's a, uh, commonwealth? I doubt anyone would waste too many nukes on canada, probably just hit the biggest areas.

They were able to build/repair androids, and install cybernetics. So they have to have some pretty decent manufacturing capabilities.

If you're talking about the Commonwealth mentioned in Fallout 3, it's implied that it's somewhere in the American northeast, and the Institute where Dr. Zimmer is from is apparently a post-apocalyptic, super-advanced MIT.

Canada's in kind of an unusual position, apocalypse-wise. America annexed Canada shortly before the great war, there was a lot of armed resistance going on. It's not impossible that Canada was spared the Chinese nukes, since the Canadians and Chinese would have had good reason to want to cooperate with each other.

Then again, it's not even known who fired the nukes, and it's been subtly implied throughout the series that everybody actually nuked themselves because the war was All Part of the Plan.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hmm. The one big thing I've always hated about editing shit in GAMEBRYO is doing terrain, and as much as I'd like to do my own big thing with my own adventures carved out of my own little shithole in the wastes having to terrain-map all that shit is something I'd like not to do. I just had an idear, though:

Rather than doing a big-ass conventional overworld map, I was thinking instead of trying a "flat" map like in the previous mainline games. The overworld would be flat and I'd texture it so that when looked at overhead it sort of looks like a terrain map, and then every area of interest would be represented on this overworld by some appropriate building or object with a door - each object would also be invisible until discovered or you found some kind of map data to reveal it, so folks don't get their shit spoiled. For the whole random encounters thing, I figure that when you're on the overworld you have a script running in the background that every X seconds makes a roll based on your perception: if you win the roll you spot an encounter and can ignore it or dive in, whilst if you fail you just get sucked into it, finish it, and then leave the area and return back to where you were before you get waylaid.

The only alternative i can think of is some kind of vehicular-based thing where you have to use a vehicle at every location in order to transition between them, but frankly that'd be no fun and require that shit be rather linear as you'd have to get certain notes/pass certain checkpoints in order to unlock locations, and that just ain't in the spirit of Fallous.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I do love how the aliens sound exactly like the ones from Mars Attacks.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    Make sure you have the latest version of the Live client. I think this is it: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9640147

I went through the whole rigamarole with the people on the GFWL forums trying to get it to work. Eventually they just gave up and I did too. I suppose I could call support but I dread that prospect, so I'll probably either wait until the GOTY edition or more likely just not play the DLC at all.

I don't exactly have a lack of other things to play, most of which don't require extra effort on my part in order for me to be able to give a company my money. I'll just chalk it up as a loss to Bethesda's pockets.

It still irritates me though.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mothership Zeta, another buggy DLC from Bethesda.
    Last I heard from Somah, she was going to "find another way back down" when she helped me in the robot area during Among the Stars. So I give up and move on without her, put on my space suit...make my way up the ship...Sally goes into the vents during This Galaxy Ain't Big Enough... to open a door for me...she's standing on the other side of the door, while it's still locked...so I can't continue.

Point Lookout was the only DLC I didn't get right away for fear of repeated buggitude. Seems I should have followed the same path here.

Ecko on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Despite what Chris A. might've said in the Fallout Bibles and such, I like to think that there's enough whiz-bang technology like replicators and shit where that people who had their head on straight instead of in their ass could really get shit rolling if they were able to find and operate and maintain them, not to mention plenty of other good sci-fi nonsense and potential - like there could be a government research facility out there with a big AI at its core and all sort of technological gizmos to play with, and the AI is expanding itself trying to achieve a state of singularity and apotheosis so that it might finally fix the world. Or even just a few scientests up at MIT with machines that can convert resources on the atomic level so they can shit out all the equipment they need.

Shit like that's why I love Fallout and particularly the P&P, you can just make shit up as you want and it's fairly feasable. :D

EDIT: Since I've got this here post sittin' here, I got a question for you players and modders: what do you think's "fair" DLC requirements for stuff? The DLC's all got stuff that would be really neat to use, but requiring ALL the DLC doesn't seem fair, not to mention how some DLC is quite honestly more meaty and worthy than others. I'm planning on utilizing stuff from Broken Steel at the least and maybe Point Lookout if I ever get it working and see what all the hub-bub's about, but Anchorage and Zeta, for their contents, just don't seem to add enough interesting stuff to warrent mandating them.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Incredible. The alien was impervious to our most powerful magnetic field, yet he was destroyed by a harmless shotgun.

Run they've got a board with a NAIL in it!

It seems the earthlings won.

Did they? That board with a nail in it may have defeated us.
    But the humans won't stop there. They'll make bigger boards
    and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail
    so big, it will destroy them all
    !

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited August 2009

!

Splinter: A Post Sliver Role-Playing Game due out in 2010!

What's hilarious is that you actually can go after them with a board that has a nail in it :)

Axen on
  • Options
    1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok it was a little boring, but...
    That fucking fight with the other space ship I thought was so epic it made up for everything in my eyes.

1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    fffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFF

My game just crashes all the time now. I don't even know anymore. This time it ruined my save when it crashed so D:

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So Mothership Zeta, despite everyone's opinions, looks pretty cool to me. I have enough points for 1 more bit of DLC, already having Broken Steel and Op. Anchorage, what should I go for? Pitt, Point Lookout, or Zeta?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So Mothership Zeta, despite everyone's opinions, looks pretty cool to me. I have enough points for 1 more bit of DLC, already having Broken Steel and Op. Anchorage, what should I go for? Pitt, Point Lookout, or Zeta?

Point Lookout

Tanolen on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tanolen wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Point Lookout

This. Broken Steel and Point Lookout are far and away the best F3 DLC.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dunno, don't get me wrong, I love Point Lookout (still haven't finished it actually, I'm a bit behind the times, just wrapped up Broken Steel, but The Pitt to me was absolutely phenomenal. Great storyline, just the right amount of linearity, and plenty of choices and options to use various skills.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh fuck I think I blew up Toronto.

Also the part of the U.S. that I live in seems to be under water now, or very nearly.

edit- Or maybe I blew up Ottawa, it's hard to for me to tell with all the cloud cover.

edit 2- Europe seems to be fucked worse than the U.S. There appears to be a big ass green glowing. . . crater I guess covering a fair portion of it.

edit final-

Okay so I have completed this now. All in all it was enjoyable. I think perhaps we've been a bit spoiled by Broken Steel and Point Lookout. If Mothership Zeta had been in the core game as an event that took place then I think it would have gone down as one of the more memorable moments of the game. As is though the DLC isn't bad and if you have some cash to burn and already have Broken Steel or Point Lookout then I would recommend it. I can already picture numerous mods using Zeta assets so it might be worth it for that alone.

Axen on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

If you're talking about the Commonwealth mentioned in Fallout 3, it's implied that it's somewhere in the American northeast, and the Institute where Dr. Zimmer is from is apparently a post-apocalyptic, super-advanced MIT.

Canada's in kind of an unusual position, apocalypse-wise. America annexed Canada shortly before the great war, there was a lot of armed resistance going on. It's not impossible that Canada was spared the Chinese nukes, since the Canadians and Chinese would have had good reason to want to cooperate with each other.

Then again, it's not even known who fired the nukes, and it's been subtly implied throughout the series that everybody actually nuked themselves because the war was All Part of the Plan.
    In the Pitt, 'The Ronto' was mentioned as a city, along side the Commonwealth and the Capital Wasteland. It's entirerly possible it's the ruins of Toronto.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck I really wish FO3 didn't crash all of the time

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actually, the MidWest, particularly the Chicago area, was done in a Fallout game.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

!

Splinter: A Post Sliver Role-Playing Game due out in 2010!

What's hilarious is that you actually can go after them with a board that has a nail in it :)

this is the best fucking idea ever

i'm going to make a cave-man character, give him a shaggy beard and hairdo, and dress him in the most cave-man like loincloth, and then beat aliens to death with a board with a nail in it

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No you dudes are all wrong with the best location.

Clearly the best location would be any location beyond the Thunder Dome

Docken on
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Grr I lost about 2 hours of time last night when my 360 locked up on a loading screen. Oh also I don't have any of the DLC yet, should I get through the vanilla game first before picking up Broken Steel or what?

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Broken Steel makes the game much more interesting and stops you level capping while you're exploring the wastelands (for a while longer anyways)

Robman on
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As I understand it, Broken Steel changes the end of the game right (which apparently sucks anyway), but is there any other change to the story that might ruin something?

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    So apparently my reputation precedes me and the Talon Company have instructions to hunt me down.

Unfortunately for them, whoever is spreading word of my reputation neglected the part where I'm a level 16 harbinger of death as the first group they sent after me was a three-man team armed with 1 Knife, 1 Laser Rifle and 1...nothing. I took their heads.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Selecta wrote: »
    As I understand it, Broken Steel changes the end of the game right (which apparently sucks anyway), but is there any other change to the story that might ruin something?

I don't think it changes anything in the storyline prior to where the vanilla game ends. In fact, as far as I understand it, the 'ending' still occurs except you then wake up again and there's a whole new prologue added on for you to wade through.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It actually depends. If you:
    let the filter asplode

then the game ends. If you
    activate the filter

Then you get the BS content.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So apparently my reputation precedes me and the Talon Company have instructions to hunt me down.

Unfortunately for them, whoever is spreading word of my reputation neglected the part where I'm a level 16 harbinger of death as the first group they sent after me was a three-man team armed with 1 Knife, 1 Laser Rifle and 1...nothing. I took their heads.

This is pretty much how things in Fallout should play out:

Nigel Powers: Do you know who I am?
    Henchman Sailor: [nods]
    Nigel Powers: Have you got any idea how many anonymous henchmen I've killed over the years?
    Henchman Sailor: [nods again]
    Nigel Powers: I mean, look at you. You don't even have a name tag. You've got no chance. Why don't you just fall down?

Axen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I <3 Talon Mercs, they keep my armour in good repair

Robman on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    See a lot of the time in Fallout I don't get this problem.

I just see it as a type of pre emptive self defense.

Cause they're dead anyway, running or not.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the Alien Epoxy doesn't work on armor, it only repairs weapons? Frowntown. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

It's a good little bit of DLC so far, though I agree they shouldn't have ended the DLC with it. It's a bit anti-climactic after the fantastic content that was Point Lookout.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    So the Alien Epoxy doesn't work on armor, it only repairs weapons? Frowntown. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

It's a good little bit of DLC so far, though I agree they shouldn't have ended the DLC with it. It's a bit anti-climactic after the fantastic content that was Point Lookout.

They just de-sold me this DLC, I don't give 2 shits about Alien weapons I just wanted a way to repair Col. Autums uniform.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Download FOOK and you can use Wonderglue to repair 'soft' armour

Robman on