here's an update of the 20,000 leagues cover
    leagues.jpg

from the old one:
    leagues.jpg

jibjib on
  • Options
    HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i actually prefer the old one, it has such a nice humble feeling to it. but otherwise, cool overall style. :)

Haxagor on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't like that the new version has the legs in the background, it does not look right to me.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i will also throw my vote in to the old one

mully on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    I like em both, but the new one feels more like a gig poster than a book cover

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    leagues2.jpg
    how about this? still a no?

jibjib on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sorry jib, i still like the old one better! but i like this one better than the last 'new' one you posted

mully on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the look of being water colored gave the underwater picture more creditability.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The color scheme makes the old one work. The reds and browns in the new one make it look more like the desert than the ocean. The blue/green sells me on the old one.

Also, I prefer the legs and feet in the old one. The stripe up the sides of the pants of the new one make it look like bluejeans. Without being able to see the tops of the shoes, they start to look like cowboy boots. It doesn't help me think "ocean" in my first impression.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    third time's a charm?
    underthesea.jpg

undertheseaspread.jpg

jibjib on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    now that is boss as fuck

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thank you kind sir

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That is amazing.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You Jules Verned the hell out of it Jib.

Mustang on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Typo on 'six' (which is sic).

bombardier on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Along the same lines (but much more nitpicky):
    • Thousand shouldn't be capitalized under the entry for "Kilometer"
    • You use 0.39 inch (singular) and .061 cubic inch (again, singular), and yet .62 miles (plural); personally, I'd rather you stick with the plural, but either way, it ought to be consistent.
    • You have 0.39 (with a leading 0), and yet .061 and .62 (without); again, personally, I'd rather you have the 0, but either way, consistency.
    On a more design-related note, the white extract text is just the tiniest bit hard to read, and I'm not a huge fan of your mock (is it mock?) publishing house logo, but even those are very trivial criticisms to a marvellously well-executed book cover; I would want to buy the book for the cover alone.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Along the same lines (but much more nitpicky):
    • Thousand shouldn't be capitalized under the entry for "Kilometer"
    • You use 0.39 inch (singular) and .061 cubic inch (again, singular), and yet .62 miles (plural); personally, I'd rather you stick with the plural, but either way, it ought to be consistent.
    • You have 0.39 (with a leading 0), and yet .061 and .62 (without); again, personally, I'd rather you have the 0, but either way, consistency.
    On a more design-related note, the white extract text is just the tiniest bit hard to read, and I'm not a huge fan of your mock (is it mock?) publishing house logo, but even those are very trivial criticisms to a marvellously well-executed book cover; I would want to buy the book for the cover alone.

Thanks. I trust your knowledge of measurements, but I copied that block of text from the appendix of old edition of the book that I have. I'm not sure how reliable it is, nor do I think any publisher would actually put that type of thing on a back cover, but I just wanted some type to fill the space.

I agree with you on the readability of the back (which I've already changed in a revised file). And the logo, once again, is just a quick placeholder that was mostly a sloppy afterthought (rather than use a real publishers logo and cause confusion/copyright issues.

And I've already changed the sic typo, thanks :)

(edit with fixes:
    undertheseas.jpg)

jibjib on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This thread is awesome, really. I might have a critique or so here and there for a few pieces way back, but it's not that necessary. You have nice stuff, very nice for still being in school. I'm assuming (hopefully correctly) that you are an illustration major if you're still in school. Which is also my major. You have really awesome stuff, illustration-wise. But you also have some really strong elements of graphic design. Wondering if you're just naturally talented with that, or if you're taking some classes?

Keep up the good work.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    new poster today
    scienceposter.jpg

jibjib on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmmm I like, but I'm not digging the text. Something tells me the academy of natural sciences would be straight laced and not receptive to crazy variations in their fonts. "We, sir, have straight up fonts here, I humbly apologise, but that is just the way we like to kick it."

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I agree with Mustang here. The font should be more straight up and that antler needs more definition.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I agree with the antler comment a bit, as it lacks the detail that the other objects have.

However, I'm going to have to completely disagree with you both on the font choice (granted this is just my opinion). If he kept it to a nice neat font, it would completely break the mood of the rest of the piece. Besides every natural sciences teacher I had, even the "straight laced" teachers I had, I would consider this title to match them to a 't'. They are scientists (so the serif font is a great choice because it represents a kind of traditional elegance), but they're natural scientists so it conveys the kind of chaotic neatness that nature has. Blah blah blah, I'm rambling now. Just my 2 cents.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Them being natural science, might make it sense that things are not as "man-made" and have irregularities.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it'd help, if you used just a little of that yellow, and a touch of the black outside of the microscrope, and brought a hair of green into the microscope

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lurk wrote: »
    Them being natural science, might make it sense that things are not as "man-made" and have irregularities.

So not to clog up jibjibs thread, but I feel like you're agreeing with me here, because what I was trying to say is that the jumbly words jibjib used DO represent something that is not as man made. If he streamlined it like you and mustang were saying it would lose that "natural" feel to it.

Either way, Jibjib, your linework and sense of layout are fabtastic. I never get enough of it.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ya I was agreeing with you. You have wooed me with your finely crafted words. Natural was the word I was looking for but was on the tip of my tongue (finger?).

Also, there is too much white on the bottom right shell. It distracts.

EDIT: Jibjib is one of my favorite artists here. If I had the money, I would contract some art from him.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I normally just lurk on this forum, but I thought I might as well mention that I've been following this thread since you started it and I really love your work. Keep it up!

Food on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    thanks for the advice on the poster. I think I'll keep the font the way it is, you have valid points, but I think it matches the feel of the museum.

for today,
    I drew my giiiiirlfrend. She's an avid lepidopterist, so that's the theme.
    sarabig.jpg

jibjib on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    damn. them some eyebrows.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    manon.. thats fucked up dude.

or is that a caterpillar crawling on her head?

Fun drawing.

Kendeathwalker on