As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It doesn't help that Leeron is so radically different from the rest of the 'I will punch you in the face so hard your ancestors feel it' male cast. He's probably the only one who's literate before the time skip (Well, him and the Old Man, who can do anything).

I've always wondered, was the Old Man ever explained at all? Because it seemed like they were implying there was more to him than meets the eye, especially during the bit just before
    she gets rescued from the armadilo general by Simon.

In the beginning of the show's second half Simon's voiceover explains it.
    He's a Beastman custom-made to serve Lordgenome's children. His super-stealthiness seems to be largely incidental.

Rust on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't help that Leeron is so radically different from the rest of the 'I will punch you in the face so hard your ancestors feel it' male cast. He's probably the only one who's literate before the time skip (Well, him and the Old Man, who can do anything).

I've always wondered, was the Old Man ever explained at all? Because it seemed like they were implying there was more to him than meets the eye, especially during the bit just before
    The very first episode after the timeskip explains he was a beastman who was watching over Nia.

Edit- Beaten.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

In the first episode after the time skip there is a narration by Simon and in it he mentions the only thing they really figured out in the 7 years was that the old man was created to specifically be Nia's butler and take care of her or something along those lines.

beaten and spoilered since others did

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I must have missed that part. My bad :P

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just finished Wikipedia arc in OP.

Do they ever explain who the ghost was that fixed the ship?

Also the moon, seriously?
    I was also right about rubber kicking Enel's ass, but that was pretty obvious.

Yeah, in the next arc actually!

And yes, the moon. Enel is crazy, and not like a fox.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm rather enjoying that trend with Bobby and Leeron where you have horribly fruity stereotypes who are also incredibly competent, and also in the case of Bobby, incredibly badass.

I loved it when Bobby would suddenly erupt with BURNING RIGHTEOUS FURY.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    On comes the headband, and he punches a friggin' spaceship with another spaceship.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    What what I heard about the two Negima series, after the first one Akamatsu pretty much went to the animation studio and said "Wrong. Do it again. Properly this time." Or at least somebody did.

:^:

I'm pretty sure the dude isn't ripped enough for that role though.

They certainly did better with the second one, but it went off on some weird ass tangent.

Hell I'd do it for him free of charge if it made it possible to see an Evangeline who was actually terrifying instead of just some loli-fantasy.

To be fair Eva is probably more perverted than the Lolicons.

She's a pedophile like half the cast.

She's just less subtle about it. :P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    Watching the latest Baccano DVD from Funi, there was a trailer for something called Romeo x Juliet. As a Shakespeare fan, I'm always up for some good contemporary adaptations of the classical plays, especially Romeo and Juliet. However, knowing anime (and Japan), they probably changed the story a whole lot to fit in some plot about aliens or something. To those who have watched it, if any, is this true? If it is, is it still a good story anyway?

Also, holy shit, there was also a trailer for something called Last Exile and it is steampunk with airships, dirigibles, daring feats of air combat and oneupsmanship. At least that's the feel I'm getting. I'm a sucker for anything steampunk, and the visual style and technical design at least seems to be evoking that feel quite nicely. Is the story any good?

Let me put it this way:

You like steampunk and you haven't seen Last Exile? You're banned until you do. It's got one of the best stories in an anime I've seen, setting be damned. The characters are great and varied, the animation is top notch, and the story is just seventeen kinds of awesome. Also it has:

Goat! (My goat, in fact)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkmmxPMzi28

The scene where Alvis first finds the goat is one of the most adorable scenes ever put on animation.

I still need to watch the last two volumes. I've been putting it off for way too long.

I asked this before, but between Ultimate Ninja Storm and The Broken Bond, which is the better Naruto game and why?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Finally sat down and watched Cross Game 07; looks like they're about to to get to one of my favorite scenes in the manga.
    It's the night before the big game and, what's this? Koh went to take out Aoba!?
    59866417.jpg

A lovers park at midnight is the best time to get some last minute practice in.

And for whatever reason, Kung Fu Aoba cracks me up to no end.

Still wish the production values on the baseball scenes were a bit higher as that's pretty much the only reason to watch the anime instead of reading the manga, but I'm such a Cross Game fanboy at this point that it doesn't really matter.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I asked this before, but between Ultimate Ninja Storm and The Broken Bond, which is the better Naruto game and why?

That's tough to answer. Broken Bond is probably a better technical fighter. It also has online. Plus, the single player story mode is pretty solid. UNS is better looking, faster, and flashier...but can be a bit more of a masher at times. Roster-wise I'd give the edge to UNS. Both games have characters exclusive to each other. BB has Haku and Zabuza, plus all of the Sound 4. But BB leaves out a lot of the Genin, like Shino, Ino, Hinata, Kankuro, and Tenten while UNS has all 15 of them. UNS has Guy as well...I don't believe he's a playable in BB. UNS also does a better job wih the little things about each character.

One thing important to note is, in both games you need to play throuh the story mode to unlock everything...and whil UNS has a fairly mediocre SP mode...the BB one is actually a pretty good adventure game.

Still...I find myself enjoying the actual fighting in UNS a bit more.

Here's some videos that show what the gameplay is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLF6YWjScQk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdzTbF5gJr0&feature=related

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The facial expressions are another reason for me to watch the anime. Aoba should really smile once in a while though.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    The facial expressions are another reason for me to watch the anime. Aoba should really smile once in a while though.

Aoba is perfect just the way she is.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Negima came out today, seems to be saying "Break? What is this break you speak of? Back into the action!"

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, they're blazing through the story in FMA aren't they? I could have sworn it was quite a bit of episodes in till they break into the prison.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Man, they're blazing through the story in FMA aren't they? I could have sworn it was quite a bit of episodes in till they break into the prison.

Like I said before - after 6 episodes, they were to where the original series was at 17. And roughly 9 chapters, by the by, which is basically keeping a 1:1 ratio for chapter/episode, but with Lior compressed to one, one bit of filler added, and the mining town and train cut.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hopefully they'll slow down when they begin to diverge from the main series.

I'm not sure if it's the pacing, or if it's because I know what's coming up, but things just seem to have less of an impact in the current series.

Still really enjoying it though.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm not sure if it's the pacing, or if it's because I know what's coming up, but things just seem to have less of an impact in the current series.

If they maintain a 1:1 chapter/episode pace, it'll be pretty much a perfect pace. It just feels more rushed right now because there was all that meaningless filler that acted as a buffer in the original series (other brothers Elric, the Barry the Chopper episode before he became a bound soul, the one town where people thought there was a ghost, etc).

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

If they maintain a 1:1 chapter/episode pace, it'll be pretty much a perfect pace. It just feels more rushed right now because there was all that meaningless filler that acted as a buffer in the original series (other brothers Elric, the Barry the Chopper episode before he became a bound soul, the one town where people thought there was a ghost, etc).

They also took out the mining town with the corrupt guy. I know for a fact that was in the manga.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

They also took out the mining town with the corrupt guy. I know for a fact that was in the manga.

Yeah, so was the train. *points to four posts up* :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What the...

Well, this is...hmm...

er...

Well, Japanese television continues its inexorable slide into perversion, I guess!

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What the...

Well, this is...hmm...

er...

Well, Japanese television continues its inexorable slide into perversion, I guess!

Yeah, I saw that earlier and... man, I just cannot imagine how anyone would think that's OK. I'm willing to put up with a lot of weird sexual overtones in anime, but that's a bridge too fucking far.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Like I said before - after 6 episodes, they were to where the original series was at 17. And roughly 9 chapters, by the by, which is basically keeping a 1:1 ratio for chapter/episode, but with Lior compressed to one, one bit of filler added, and the mining town and train cut.

I liked the nod to the cutting of the mining town. It was more or less:

"Who's that?"
    "Oh, him? He's the guy the Elrics caught when they investigated that mining town."
    "Ah, glad that's settled."

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What the...

Well, this is...hmm...

er...

Rubbing my temples so hard...

EDIT: Hahahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVPU9ynfD_k&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toplessrobot.com%2Fanime%2F&feature=player_embedded

Godfather on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What the...

Well, this is...hmm...

er...

Still not as bad as Queen's Blade.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kedinik wrote: »

I liked the nod to the cutting of the mining town. It was more or less:

"Who's that?"
    "Oh, him? He's the guy the Elrics caught when they investigated that mining town."
    "Ah, glad that's settled."

Not surprised those two pieces got cut, really. They were basically just manga-filler.

Falx on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bleach's animation is really fucking frustrating me. We've sat through so many episodes of worthless, lazy animation even though it wasn't filler, and NOW out of nowhere the production values randomly shoot through the roof. It's driving me mad.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Soooooooo maybe new Haruhi tonight.

We'll see.

Jintor on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jintor wrote: »

We'll see.
    The broadcast schedule for the TV Wakayama station lists the eighth episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime's ongoing "renewed airing" as "Sasa no Ha Rhapsody" ("Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody") on May 24.

Not till the 24th :D

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So Funimation has a poll asking people what they would buy if they released it.

Lots of currently airing (Basara, Basquash, K-On) and recently concluded (Casshern, Kuroshitsuji) stuff on here, but also a re-release of Initial D and a complete redub of Sailor Moon

http://blog.funimation.com/2009/05/we-need-your-input/

I clicked the button for Sailor Moon so hard I think I broke my mouse.

Furu on
  • Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    warban wrote: »

We'll see.
    The broadcast schedule for the TV Wakayama station lists the eighth episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime's ongoing "renewed airing" as "Sasa no Ha Rhapsody" ("Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody") on May 24.

That's just the station that let it the episode title slip. The station that airs it earliest does it on the 21st. So we'll be seeing the Internet explode, whether it airs or not, at about midday today.

blkmage on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Furu wrote: »

Lots of currently airing (Basara, Basquash, K-On) and recently concluded (Casshern, Kuroshitsuji) stuff on here, but also a re-release of Initial D and a complete redub of Sailor Moon

The correct answer is Sengoku Basara

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    blkmage wrote: »
    warban wrote: »

We'll see.

That's just the station that let it the episode title slip. The station that airs it earliest does it on the 21st. So we'll be seeing the Internet explode, whether it airs or not, at about midday today.

Ok, Now I'm interested.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Y...you can select many things.

You can select all of the things.

Furu on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really like the UNS demo.

But it's gonna have to wait until after Prototype.

The end of this fight is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMF0WOVRpbo

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love UN's attention to detail. Do Hinata's Ultimate on Naruto to see what I'm talking about.

Speaking of anime based video games, you know what needs to happen? Treasure making a sequel to the Bleach DS. A real sequel.

I love the 2nd part, but I think everyone was dissapointed that there were no vaizards or arrancars. It's crappy to complain about that when the gameplay is so good, but half the draw of anime based fighters is seeing people from the show.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Btw.

This fight.

Is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2QNvfz90U&feature=related

First set of grandfinal matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaNOqbKZNF0&feature=related

Second set.

Game looks completely different when two people who know the system is playing, its like light and dark.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love UN's attention to detail. Do Hinata's Ultimate on Naruto to see what I'm talking about.

I don't have a PS3, what happens?

Also, I filled in that survey but clicked on submit before I realized I could use the comment box to voice my displeasure that only fellas from the Land of The Eagle can watch shows on their website. Rest of the world has weeaboos too you know. :(

Falx on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay so Skypeia felt a little slow initially but goddamn was it great at the end.

Kelor on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Y...you can select many things.

You can select all of the things.

I would go with Basara as well, but they need to keep the bad engrish. It's just funny.

tallgeeze on