Options

New Comic 6/15/09 Jim Darkmagic

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i rate kansas city hotsteppers above automata
    it's funny like jim, but it also has line dancing

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey so somebody got infracted in here?

Way to go, morons

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You'll get this thread taken away from us!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aw just looked at the front page and it looks like automata is winning :( I don't have a problem with the art but the plot/characters are extremely similar to R. Daneel's early years with Elijah Bailey and Metropolis.

The lookouts seem like a much more interesting story to me.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really didn't like Paint the Line. But Automata, which will hopefully win, looks great.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    TowperTowper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know, the whole "it reminds me of something else" could be the reason I don't like automata either.

For me it's that this comic reminds me of Atomic Robo, which is funny in and of itself but nothing I would go read again. They'll sit at the bottom of my comics pile: making me feel better for having read them, but not anywhere near bad enough to throw them out.

It's hard to pick one, eh? Any of these on their own would be great, but it's hard to say "yes, this one" and then wonder what we missed out on with the other two.

Who thinks that we might get treated to storylines on all three anyway? :)

Towper on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i think we will get treated to storylines on all three

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know they are gonna try to do all three already.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow people are giving some pretty stupid theories to explain why people are voting for Automata. The reasons are going to be as varied as the votes.

Here's one no one's mentioned, I like the theme of oppression due to inability to view another as an equal being. It is a genuine human theme that has occurred countless times throughout our species history.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked Lookouts almost as much as Automata, but it came down to my simply wishing to see one setting explored more than the other.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Coldbrand wrote: »
    Wow people are giving some pretty stupid theories to explain why people are voting for Automata. The reasons are going to be as varied as the votes.

Here's one no one's mentioned, I like the theme of oppression due to inability to view another as an equal being. It is a genuine human theme that has occurred countless times throughout our species history.

Australians for example, can't see New Zealanders as humans.

(in fact neither does Google as New Zealanders show up as a spelling mistake)

Blake T on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This is actually one of the reasons I didn't vote for automata. I've read many things involving this theme and experienced it first hand. The minority being robots in this case doesn't make it that much more interesting to me.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Skelly B wrote: »

This is actually one of the reasons I didn't vote for automata. I've read many things involving this theme and experienced it first hand. The minority being robots in this case doesn't make it that much more interesting to me.

you're not well known 'nuf round these parts to express an unpopular opinon, boyAH

don' you know what we do to your kind 'round heah?

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »

you're not well known 'nuf round these parts to express an unpopular opinon, boyAH

He's got a purty mouth

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

He's got a purty mouth

It sounds like you give a very warm welcome indeed.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

He's got a purty mouth
    but an ugly ass sig

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd vote for Automata because I think robots are neat

Moriveth on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Towper wrote: »
    You know, the whole "it reminds me of something else" could be the reason I don't like automata either.

For me it's that this comic reminds me of Atomic Robo, which is funny in and of itself but nothing I would go read again. They'll sit at the bottom of my comics pile: making me feel better for having read them, but not anywhere near bad enough to throw them out.

It's hard to pick one, eh? Any of these on their own would be great, but it's hard to say "yes, this one" and then wonder what we missed out on with the other two.

Do you have some kind of reading disorder? Is English not your first language?

I'm trying to understand what would make you write this.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I liked Lookouts almost as much as Automata, but it came down to my simply wishing to see one setting explored more than the other.

This was me, too. But I also have a big intellectual hard on for film noir type detective stories. that there's robots and racist undertones in the dealing with robots is just pure icing on top.

that, and I'm obviously scared of girls and have no friends.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    A BombA Bomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Automata is the best of the three. Best art and best writing.

A Bomb on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Automata looked really Ben Templesmith-y and it'll prolly make the best full-feature but just a little Lookouts oneshot, a couple of pages or so, wouldn't hurt would it?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'd vote for Automata because I think robots are neat
    pretty much what it came down for to me!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man how in the hell does Automata look anything like Ben Templesmith's work?
    Ben%20Templesmith%20Warren%20Ellis%20Feral%20City%20Fell.jpg
    sh_di_cb01.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my god what are those from, SH

Me Too! on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One is from Feral, I believe, and the other appears to either be from one of the several 30 Days of Night spin-offs or the Silent Hill comic Templesmith did/does(?)

EDIT: Scrath that, the first example looks to be from Fell, his supernatural/horror/noir book.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Voted Automata but it was pretty much neck and neck.

Jim had far more humor than the other two and Lookouts had, I think, the most "potential".

But Automata?

Automata had potential and scary going for it, but more than that?

It had moxy, damnit.

Or rather a world in which "moxy" is an acceptable adjective.

Which is far more important than, well, anything.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Automata because the robot looks the best out of all the characters.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    TowperTowper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sarukun wrote: »

Don't follow you, man. Are you upset because I didn't like automata as much as the other two, or because I didn't like something Clevinger wrote?

For both, I can say that it isn't so much that I actually "don't like" them, it's that I don't like them "as much" as the regular stuff form the respective artists. It's like wearing your favorite gloves on the wrong hands. Same things as always, but off just enough from what you were expecting to be uncomfortable.

Towper on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    where's the voting option for 'there's a metric fuckton of good games out this summer - let's see some hilarious comics about those'

or is that just implied?

- also, i would vote for jim

i'm all for the others; but, seems more like a short story format would fit them better than a comic strip.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

He's got a purty mouth
    but an ugly ass sig

He really likes hexane

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adiusadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Automata had the most story packed into the pilot strip. We have a much better idea of where that one is going than the other two. That said, Lookouts seems more original, and I'd rather see where it's going based on the description of the world it takes place in.

I'd have a hard time caring about a character dumb enough to keep attempting magic shows after he's already killed people with his magic. And his assistant who's just like "oh you killed someone again, how inconvenient".

adius on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sarukun wrote: »

Don't follow you, man. Are you upset because I didn't like automata as much as the other two, or because I didn't like something Clevinger wrote?

For both, I can say that it isn't so much that I actually "don't like" them, it's that I don't like them "as much" as the regular stuff form the respective artists. It's like wearing your favorite gloves on the wrong hands. Same things as always, but off just enough from what you were expecting to be uncomfortable.
    Also, no matter what you picked, you can't actually lose: we'll try to come back to all of these eventually. We aren't foolish enough to commit to a timeline, but there's a reason we put them in front of you. Eventually, we won't be able to resist.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    adius wrote: »
    Automata had the most story packed into the pilot strip. We have a much better idea of where that one is going than the other two. That said, Lookouts seems more original, and I'd rather see where it's going based on the description of the world it takes place in.

I'd have a hard time caring about a character dumb enough to keep attempting magic shows after he's already killed people with his magic. And his assistant who's just like "oh you killed someone again, how inconvenient".

yeah; but, jim could be entertaining in the 3 panel comic

the other two are interesting; but, i wouldn't want to read a tiny bit of the story every (other) day - why can't they just release a comic book if that's what they want to do so badly?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Comic books aren't cheap to produce especially in color

Me Too! on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lookouts.

Oh look a robot how interesting.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Comparing Automata to Atomic Robo might be the dumbest comparison in this entire thread

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

welp

they don't have to print it.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »

welp

they don't have to print it.

I also don't recall them saying it would be a three-panel format

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Comparing Automata to Atomic Robo might be the dumbest comparison in this entire thread

I think Jim was compared to Atomic Robo

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll compare you to Atomic Robo

Grey Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.