Options

The Israeli Lobby and the Overuse of the Anti-Semite Card

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The racial situation with the "Black" population is not the same as that of the Jewish population.

Not remotely.

You may as well say that the Native Americans and Koreans are on the same footing.
    and that makes it okay to hate Jews?
    Who here hates Jews?

Thanatos, at best, just hates the Jewish lobby.
    But, but, the two are exactly the same m i rite?

Which is, to some extent, exactly what he seems to have been talking about in the first place. Amusing.

Oh, and having a black president is an aberration. They're still underrepresented across the entire power structure, and will be even more so when our next white president gets elected (whether in 4 or 8 years, either way).

And rappers and athletes don't (in general) make broad policy.
    And the broad policy that Jews support (in general) is ACTUALLY the same stuff that Thanatos supports.
    If we're talking about Jewish politicians, well, then, I'm anti-genocide, they're pro-genocide; I'm anti-apartheid, they're pro-apartheid. Everything else just kinda seems like bullshit in comparison.

I mean, really, how would you feel about a KKK member who was strongly pro-choice, pro-universal health care, in favor of progressive taxation, and supported a more internationalist foreign policy, but just felt that black people should go back to Africa?

Wow, THIS is pretty fuckin offensive

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's not what his posts in here are saying.
    Ok look this right here? This is the entire point of the thread. Make any criticism of Israel or the Jewish lobby and suddenly you are branded an anti-semite. This is the problem. You right here are proving that.

Thanatos made those claims AFTER he made the remark in my sig.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Evander you're being ridiculous. Thanatos has never even implied that he hates Jews.

Where the flying fucktown you got that from I have no idea.

read the quote in my sig.

replaces Jews for blacks, and you'd have the classic "reverse racism" argument. If people who cry "reverse racism" are racists, then so is Thanatos.

Evander on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All Jewish politicians are pro-Genocide, Thanatos?

That statement is your DEFENSE that you are not being racist?
    You used the term "in general." It's right there, in your post that I quoted. And, in general, Jewish politicians support Israel pretty much unconditionally. In general, the ones who don't don't get elected. Israel is a pro-genocide country. Not in the same way that, say, Nazi Germany or Darfur or Rwanda are; no, there's is a far more insidious, subtle genocide.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You don't get people calling you a racist when you criticize Robert Mugabe, though.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The racial situation with the "Black" population is not the same as that of the Jewish population.

Not remotely.

You may as well say that the Native Americans and Koreans are on the same footing.
    Who here hates Jews?

Which is, to some extent, exactly what he seems to have been talking about in the first place. Amusing.

Oh, and having a black president is an aberration. They're still underrepresented across the entire power structure, and will be even more so when our next white president gets elected (whether in 4 or 8 years, either way).

And the broad policy that Jews support (in general) is ACTUALLY the same stuff that Thanatos supports.
    If we're talking about Jewish politicians, well, then, I'm anti-genocide, they're pro-genocide; I'm anti-apartheid, they're pro-apartheid. Everything else just kinda seems like bullshit in comparison.

I mean, really, how would you feel about a KKK member who was strongly pro-choice, pro-universal health care, in favor of progressive taxation, and supported a more internationalist foreign policy, but just felt that black people should go back to Africa?

I'm getting the impression that he meant Israeli Jewish politicians, in which case Than is mostly on point.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I DO NOT say this lightly, but you, sir, ARE an Anti-Semite.

:lol:
    Last I checked, Jews were massively over-represented in the U.S. Congress, along with the high side of the income scale. I'm not saying that anti-semitism doesn't exist in this country, but given the responses one garners when one has the slightest negative thing to say about Israel, I'd say reverse-anti-semitism ("anti-gentilism," if you will) is a far greater problem.

Now, would THIS have been an acceptable thing to post?
    Last I checked, a Black man was president, and many popular musicians and comedians are also black. I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist in this country, but given the responses one garners when one has the slightest negative thing to say about inner city crime, I'd say reverse-racism ("anti-whitism," if you will) is a far greater problem.
    The fact that you even begin to compare prejudice against Jews in this country to prejudice against black people is fucking laughable. They're not even on the same order of magnitude. Nowhere close.

And THAT makes your racism okay?

Go ahead, and tell me why it's okay for you to hate an entire group of people, the vast majority of whom you've never met.

Errrrrrrrrr, last I checked African American was a race, Jew was not. I believe the word you are looking for is bigotry, not racism. And yes, they aren't even on the same level whatsoever.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Evander you're being ridiculous. Thanatos has never even implied that he hates Jews.

replaces Jews for blacks, and you'd have the classic "reverse racism" argument. If people who cry "reverse racism" are racists, then so is Thanatos.
    I swear to god, the next time you compare the plight of black people in this country to the plight of Jews in such a way as to imply that they are even remotely similar in this day and age, MLK Jr. is going to rise from the grave, show up at your door, and punch you in the fucking face.

It's a fucking retarded premise, as I illustrated earlier in the thread.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You don't get people calling you a racist when you criticize Robert Mugabe, though.
    Yes, this, exactly. Thank you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Not remotely.

Who here hates Jews?

I'm getting the impression that he meant Israeli Jewish politicians, in which case Than is mostly on point.

No, he was responding to my post about American Jewish politicians.

And if he WAS talking about Israeli politicians, he'd be full of shit too. Throwing around "genocide" and "apartheid" when those AREN'T what is happening makes a mockery of the people who suffered in South Africa, and who are currently suffering in Darfur. The situation the Palestinians are in is NOT okay, but it is also NOT genocide.

Evander on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, we managed to go a whole page without someone being accused of of being a jew hating anti-semite. Good job guys.

Yes, this is in fact a very large problem. Do jews = Israel? No, they do not. However, the jewish lobby does an excellent job of equating the two. If you criticize Israeli policy in any way, you're anti semetic. US media totally backs up these assertions. This is bad because Israel is a country that enjoys massive US support, and is responsible for killing and oppressing a great many people. Speaking out against this injustice is labeled as hate speech, which does an excellent job of preventing any real examination of US support of Israel, and Israel's actions in general.

As thantos and others have said, anti-semitism in the US is small scale and not systematic. Not good, certainly, no racism is. But it also creates a very effective sort of self-censorship on very important issues, issues around thousands of people being killed. So yes, over use of the anti-semite card is in fact a very big deal.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

first off, you're acting like the situation with black people is in any way the same as the situation with jewish people

second, it still doesn't imply that he hates jews. which you said he does.

so... defend it or take it back?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ice_Orchid wrote: »
    I really dont even know where to start....
    Incenjucar, as a citizen of Israel and an Ex soldier i can promise you that no military action was ever excused with "they killed my grandpa in the gas chambers".

Why do you think that being a soldier gives you a knowledge of politics?
    and all of you need to decide if ur talking about jews or about Israeli international politics.
    stop fusing those two togather. as a jew im insulted by it.

This is a general issue with talking about powerful asshole factions of varied but largely passive groups.

and jews will start being a problem in the states once they start going out and shooting at afro americans and other people cuz they arent jewish or said some thing bad about Israel.

Shooting people in the street is one of the least efficient ways to cause harm these days. Who do you think is more dangerous, the KKK armed with rocket launchers, or Dick Cheney armed with a phone and a credit card?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I swear to god, the next time you compare the plight of black people in this country to the plight of Jews in such a way as to imply that they are even remotely similar in this day and age, MLK Jr. is going to rise from the grave, show up at your door, and punch you in the fucking face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwdYRrWAB9E

Evander on
  • Options
    EpiphyteEpiphyte Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Not remotely.

Who here hates Jews?

You know, if you're trying to disprove the whole anti-semite thing, you might actually say Pro-Israel/Pro-Likud politicians

Because otherwise you look like an asshole if there are Jewish politicians who don't support those actions

Unless you believe every Jew votes lockstep

Epiphyte on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

first off, you're acting like the situation with black people is in any way the same as the situation with jewish people

so claiming reverse racism about Jews is okay?

Evander on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Well, we managed to go a whole page without someone being accused of of being a jew hating anti-semite. Good job guys.

Yes, this is in fact a very large problem. Do jews = Israel? No, they do not. However, the jewish lobby does an excellent job of equating the two. If you criticize Israeli policy in any way, you're anti semetic. US media totally backs up these assertions. This is bad because Israel is a country that enjoys massive US support, and is responsible for killing and oppressing a great many people. Speaking out against this injustice is labeled as hate speech, which does an excellent job of preventing any real examination of US support of Israel, and Israel's actions in general.

As thantos and others have said, anti-semitism in the US is small scale and not systematic. Not good, certainly, no racism is. But it also creates a very effective sort of self-censorship on very important issues, issues around thousands of people being killed. So yes, over use of the anti-semite card is in fact a very big deal.

This thread is like a glorious microcosm of that very problem.

shryke on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ice_Orchid wrote: »
    Thanatos, i will leave this forum hoping to never come back(unless some thing interesting happens here).
    and my parting words are...
    Sir, You are a racist. and there is little you can say against that.

No he isn't. And I can say a lot against it except you decided to run away like a coward instead of defending your statements.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No, he was responding to my post about American Jewish politicians.

And if he WAS talking about Israeli politicians, he'd be full of shit too. Throwing around "genocide" and "apartheid" when those AREN'T what is happening makes a mockery of the people who suffered in South Africa, and who are currently suffering in Darfur. The situation the Palestinians are in is NOT okay, but it is also NOT genocide.
    I'm absolutely talking about American Jewish politicians, and it's absolutely genocide, it's just genocide in slow fucking motion.

And it's fucking apartheid. I don't care what you say, that's what it fucking is, and I'm sick and tired of pussyfooting around it. Israel is the crazy paranoid schizophrenic of the Middle East, only they have more guns than most paranoid schizophrenics. And I don't even think it's a deliberate sort of genocide on the part of the state of Israel, it's just the natural result of their crazy-cat-lady policies.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Crayon wrote: »
    Errrrrrrrrr, last I checked African American was a race, Jew was not. I believe the word you are looking for is bigotry, not racism. And yes, they aren't even on the same level whatsoever.

Race has no one definition, and "Jewish" means, equally, a Race, a Religion, and a Culture, all at the same time.

African American is actually a really poor term in use, as it gets used on people with dark skin from a hundred different cultures and more than one continent.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

answer my fucking question. i'm not talking about reverse racism. i'm talking about you saying that thanatos hates jews. defend it or shut the fuck up

MikeMan on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I actually find it pretty damn funny.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, and I'm sure he would just love the Israel of today, right? I'll bet he and Avigdor Lieberman would be the best of friends.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The best part about screaming Anti-Semite is that it derails actually valuable topics.

"You're an Anti-Semite!" is basically declaring "I'm going to read the phone book!"

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

answer my fucking question. i'm not talking about reverse racism. i'm talking about you saying that thanatos hates jews. defend it or shut the fuck up

just like you ignored my point by saying that jews don't have it as bad as black people?

I never said they did, just that racist comments are still racist, regardless of which group they are aimed at.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Evander, Netanyahu's ridiculous two-state solution adds up to apartheid in everything but name. The way Palestinians are treated now is basically the same.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2009

So-called "reverse racism" absolutely exists. There are most definitely situations where black people take advantage of "the race card" and exploit it. Is it anywhere near as big of a problem as racism against black people? No fucking way.

Is the same true when it comes to anti-semitism? Absolutely fucking not. I'm saying they're two different things because they're two fucking different things.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Reverse Racism" is a meaningless term, people need to stop using it.

"Race Card" is fine.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, and I'm sure he would just love the Israel of today, right? I'll bet he and Avigdor Lieberman would be the best of friends.

Avigdor lieberman, who came in fourth, in the polls

with the TOP of the polls being a centrist liberal, and the third being the liberal, liberal candidate. (and the second being a conservative party that has STILL engaged in peace talks in the past)

By your logic, Britain is a racist state now, because the BNP have a couple of seats.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    By your logic, Britain is a racist state now, because the BNP have a couple of seats.

The UK is pretty racist. As is Europe in general.

Hell in the UK they'll assault you for having red hair.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

just like you ignored my point by saying that jews don't have it as bad as black people?

I never said they did, just that racist comments are still racist, regardless of which group they are aimed at.
    "There is an intrinsic black power structure that holds white people down, and prevents them from improving their socio-economic status."

"There is an intrinsic white power structure that holds black people down, and prevents them from improving their socio-economic status."

See, one of those is racist; the other is not. Even though they say the same thing, just aimed at different groups.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yup, note my new sig.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Evander, Netanyahu's ridiculous two-state solution adds up to apartheid in everything but name. The way Palestinians are treated now is basically the same.

Netanyahu's plan is never going to see the light of day.

Remember, he is only PM because of coalition building. The highest vote getting party in the elections was the one that was originally formed FOR THE PURPOSE OF dismantling the settlements in the West Bank.

Israeli politics is a complex beast. You can't just look at one thing, and judge the entire situation by it.

You ALSO can't ignore the context of Palestinian terrorism which has been going on since BEFORE Israel controlled those territories.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The UK is pretty racist. As is Europe in general.

Hell in the UK they'll assault you for having red hair.

are we going to pull the "genocide" card on them?

I mean the BNP actually DOES support the same thing that Yisrael Beitenu supports (deportation)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/23/israelandthepalestinians.unitednations
    A UN human rights investigator has likened Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories to apartheid South Africa and says there should be "serious consideration" over bringing the occupation to the international court of justice.

The report by John Dugard, a South African law professor who is the UN's special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories, represents some of the most forceful criticism yet of Israel's 40-year occupation.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

here, let me try again.
    Go ahead, and tell me why it's okay for you to hate an entire group of people, the vast majority of whom you've never met.

now, you said that. by that you meant that Thanatos hates jews.

now find me where he said he hates jews, and everything will be just fine

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    are we going to pull the "genocide" card on them?

I mean the BNP actually DOES support the same thing that Yisrael Beitenu supports (deportation)

It's been awhile since the UK was attempting to eliminate a race of people. Not long enough, but still awhile.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Netanyahu's plan is never going to see the light of day.

Remember, he is only PM because of coalition building. The highest vote getting party in the elections was the one that was originally formed FOR THE PURPOSE OF dismantling the settlements in the West Bank.

Israeli politics is a complex beast. You can't just look at one thing, and judge the entire situation by it.

You ALSO can't ignore the context of Palestinian terrorism which has been going on since BEFORE Israel controlled those territories.

I didn't realize that terrorism was a magic word that suddenly turned apartheid into an acceptable social construct.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't realize that terrorism was a magic word that suddenly turned apartheid into an acceptable social construct.

Worked for Dubya.

Of course the Jewish (really, Hebrew) people have been terrorists since before the Torah.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Avigdor lieberman, who came in fourth, in the polls

with the TOP of the polls being a centrist liberal, and the third being the liberal, liberal candidate. (and the second being a conservative party that has STILL engaged in peace talks in the past)

Do you know how parliamentary democracies work? See, Avigdor Lieberman is a member of one of the only two parties that matter. Not to mention that in addition to merely coming in fourth at the polls (it's like David Duke, but with the whole fucking country), he's the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affaris. Without him, the ruling coalition falls apart.

And even without him, Likud is hardly a bastion of progressivism.

Thanatos on