Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it's not USB, then it's a soundcard thing, not a mic thing. Don't look for info on troubleshooting the mic, because that's barking up the wrong tree.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Have a look in your sound setting, goto your recording and make sure its the default device, also check the levels of it. Occums razor and all that...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My only problem with foobar and vlc at the moment is there don't seem to be any plugins that allow me to listen to the protected content that I bought on itunes. There's not much of it, but sometimes I want to listen to it, and I don't want to have to use fucking itunes to do it.

winamp had a plugin, but I don't want to use it any more than I want to use itunes these days. I just recently bought a new machine and stuck windows 7 on it, and I don't want to download winamp if I don't have to. I'll just keep looking for plugins or alternate players.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Here's why i use Winamp

WindowShade mode.

I have found no other program in the past decade or whatever that has been able to do what Winamp does with it. It's the single greatest built in feature to a media playing program ever. Others come close but it requires customization and / or skinning. Winamp I just install, make sure it's in classic mode, and double click on the player.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    DataCabbitKSWDataCabbitKSW Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Just as a notice (and move back to original topic of the thread) those of you using the beta, it will time out soon. Switch to the Release Candidate which is free and available here: http://tinyurl.com/832nco
    The RC will work until June 1st of 2010, but has 2 hour reboots starting on March 1st of 2010. The official retail release is slated for October 22nd of this year. That gives plenty of time for upgrades.
    The last thing to take note of is that there is no official way to upgrade from beta/RC/Pre-RTM builds to the final version. You will have to do a clean install. Even if you could do an in-place upgrade, I wouldn't recommend it. For Windows XP users, you can buy and use the upgrade package, but you can only do a clean install. No in-place upgrade for XP users. Vista users can use the in-place upgrade options.
    Microsoft on pricing and release times: http://tinyurl.com/pwak2t

DataCabbitKSW on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man this sucks. I upgraded (fresh install) my laptop from build 7000 to build 7100. It was a huge downgrade. None of the hardware worked out of the box, and there is no available video driver for it. This was not a problem on build 7000.

What the hell, man? D:

In other news: I can't decide if I should do an upgrade or fresh install from 7077 to 7100 on my main desktop.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Oh man this sucks. I upgraded (fresh install) my laptop from build 7000 to build 7100. It was a huge downgrade. None of the hardware worked out of the box, and there is no available video driver for it. This was not a problem on build 7000.

What the hell, man? D:

In other news: I can't decide if I should do an upgrade or fresh install from 7077 to 7100 on my main desktop.

Odd that Win7 would be regressive with drivers, one would assume that it contains the same drivers.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just as a notice (and move back to original topic of the thread) those of you using the beta, it will time out soon.
    Ah, crap. Thanks for the reminder. Does the time-out affect all pre-7100 builds? Because I've got a very comfy 7057 install right now.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

What the hell, man? D:

Odd that Win7 would be regressive with drivers, one would assume that it contains the same drivers.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. To salt the wound, I can't even get the drivers elsewhere because ATI don't support anything older than like 2 years apparently.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Use the "Action Center," or whatever it's called. A good deal of my shit didn't work out of the box either, but that eventually fixed it all quite handily.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

What the hell, man? D:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. To salt the wound, I can't even get the drivers elsewhere because ATI don't support anything older than like 2 years apparently.

Well they still support my x300 which is like 5 years old. Whats your GFX card?

Idoliside on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Use the "Action Center," or whatever it's called. A good deal of my shit didn't work out of the box either, but that eventually fixed it all quite handily.

It's too late, I've already installed Ubuntu on it, which runs slightly better anyway. I may try again at a later date.

What the hell, man? D:

On my laptop it is a Radeon Mobility 9600. I also have a HTPC with Radeon Xpress 1250, but that is a whole other can of worms. It works, with Aero and everything, but it has terrible overscan (or underscan I guess, huge black bars all around). Catalyst doesn't install on Win7 on that PC.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Seeks wrote: »

It's too late, I've already installed Ubuntu on it, which runs slightly better anyway. I may try again at a later date.

What the hell, man? D:

On my laptop it is a Radeon Mobility 9600. I also have a HTPC with Radeon Xpress 1250, but that is a whole other can of worms. It works, with Aero and everything, but it has terrible overscan (or underscan I guess, huge black bars all around). Catalyst doesn't install on Win7 on that PC.

Ah i can understand the lack of support for mobility cards. You "could" see if theres a Win7 beta driver for your card but i doubt it. I think this is one of those things you'll have to wait till release for.
    Maybe some unofficialy drivers? I've not looked into it but there might be a solution there.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of media players, I'm not sure I'll ever like one as much as I like The KMPlayer.

If you haven't given it a shot yet and are in any way unhappy with what you're using right now, I'd recommend at least trying it. It got me to stop using MPC, which had got me to stop using winamp. I certainly would never touch windows media player over it.

I'm sure I'll miss a million features, but off-hand:

-Shade mode.
    -Auto-hide skin mode. (if you play movies in a window and you don't have this in your current player, you're mising out.)
    -Global hotkeys.
    -Good hotkeys in general. Like: skip forward/back 5 seconds with cursor left/right (WAY better than a seek bar when you miss something or want to see something quick again), zoom in/out with +/-, movie repositioning with the numeric keypad, brightness/constrast/saturation, A/B section repeat... a lot more.
    -superb aspect ratio support.
    -Internal codecs. Good ones. Play a video and it works.
    -DXVA support.
    -Not vulnerable to infected video files (like WMP)

Anything you want to tweak with it, you can (like, I prefer my movies to remember how much of them I've watched and re-load at that point. So they do.)

Can't really say if it's bloated or not. It's using up 46 megs of memory and 5% of the CPU (bear in mind that's offloading to the GPU) while playing a 1080p movie. Can't complain.

I wonder if anyone can name what I'm watching based off this quote:

"Why don't you go fuck yourself, you weird little prick?"

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ahahahaha, I watched Pineapple Express last night! hi5!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha *hi5* ;) and well done.

I didn't think anyone would get it since it's the tone and situation that makes it so awesome :(

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's the preferred method of getting this now, and sticking it on my netbook?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can still get the ISO and keys from MS here.

For installing,
    CL4usVALCA wrote:
    Here are the steps to get Windows 7 installer on a USB drive. I would assume that it works with a SD drive as well. Commands are in bold
    1. Insert the USB drive or SD card
    2. Open an administrator (Run as administrator if UAC is enabled) command prompt or powershell
    3. Run diskpart
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # (# being the USBor SD drive) you can use the "detail disk" command once the disk is selected to view the partition info and drive letter
    6. once you've verified that it is the right disk run the clean command
    7.create parttion primary
    8. format label="whatever you want to name it" fs=ntfs quick
    9. active This makes the partition an active primary drive.
    10.exit
    11. In the command prompt cd to the location of the Win 7 files. If you mount the iso in a virtual drive or unpack the iso with WinRAR or 7-zip you can browse to the folder you placed them in.
    12. cd to the boot folder
    13. Enter bootsect.exe /nt60 d: "d: is the drive letter of the USB stick or SD card that winddows has assigned to it, it could be e: or f: or whatever. d: is just an example. This command writes out the bootsector to make it a bootable disk
    14. Copy over all of the folders and files in the root of the Win 7 install folder or disk to the USB stick or thumbdrive
    15. Reboot and boot from the USB or SD drive
    16.Install Windows 7
    17. Rock Out!!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    Speaking of media players, I'm not sure I'll ever like one as much as I like The KMPlayer.

If you haven't given it a shot yet and are in any way unhappy with what you're using right now, I'd recommend at least trying it. It got me to stop using MPC, which had got me to stop using winamp. I certainly would never touch windows media player over it.

I'm sure I'll miss a million features, but off-hand:

-Shade mode.
    -Auto-hide skin mode. (if you play movies in a window and you don't have this in your current player, you're mising out.)
    -Global hotkeys.
    -Good hotkeys in general. Like: skip forward/back 5 seconds with cursor left/right (WAY better than a seek bar when you miss something or want to see something quick again), zoom in/out with +/-, movie repositioning with the numeric keypad, brightness/constrast/saturation, A/B section repeat... a lot more.
    -superb aspect ratio support.
    -Internal codecs. Good ones. Play a video and it works.
    -DXVA support.
    -Not vulnerable to infected video files (like WMP)

Anything you want to tweak with it, you can (like, I prefer my movies to remember how much of them I've watched and re-load at that point. So they do.)

Can't really say if it's bloated or not. It's using up 46 megs of memory and 5% of the CPU (bear in mind that's offloading to the GPU) while playing a 1080p movie. Can't complain.

I wonder if anyone can name what I'm watching based off this quote:

"Why don't you go fuck yourself, you weird little prick?"

Actually i use VLC for hi-def video playing but always notice the memory and general stutter skyrocket compared to normal vids (for obvious reasons). You reckon KMPlayer is better for 1080p films?

Idoliside on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can still get the ISO and keys from MS here.

For installing,
    CL4usVALCA wrote:
    Here are the steps to get Windows 7 installer on a USB drive. I would assume that it works with a SD drive as well. Commands are in bold
    1. Insert the USB drive or SD card
    2. Open an administrator (Run as administrator if UAC is enabled) command prompt or powershell
    3. Run diskpart
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # (# being the USBor SD drive) you can use the "detail disk" command once the disk is selected to view the partition info and drive letter
    6. once you've verified that it is the right disk run the clean command
    7.create parttion primary
    8. format label="whatever you want to name it" fs=ntfs quick
    9. active This makes the partition an active primary drive.
    10.exit
    11. In the command prompt cd to the location of the Win 7 files. If you mount the iso in a virtual drive or unpack the iso with WinRAR or 7-zip you can browse to the folder you placed them in.
    12. cd to the boot folder
    13. Enter bootsect.exe /nt60 d: "d: is the drive letter of the USB stick or SD card that winddows has assigned to it, it could be e: or f: or whatever. d: is just an example. This command writes out the bootsector to make it a bootable disk
    14. Copy over all of the folders and files in the root of the Win 7 install folder or disk to the USB stick or thumbdrive
    15. Reboot and boot from the USB or SD drive
    16.Install Windows 7
    17. Rock Out!!

Awesome, thanks.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Actually i use VLC for hi-def video playing but always notice the memory and general stutter skyrocket compared to normal vids (for obvious reasons). You reckon KMPlayer is better for 1080p films?

Yep, at least using DXVA --though you have to tell it to do DXVA in preferences since by default it uses non-DXVA rendering (which will be just as resource intensive as VLC). If you're using Win7 then it's got built in DXVA already so you can change prefs and you're set, Vista or earlier and you'll need to grab MPCVideoDec.ax (a DXVA filter) from sourceforge and regsvr32 it as administrator, THEN change preferences.

So here's what you need to do in KMPlayer:

-run kmplayer, right click, select 'options' then 'advanced menu'
    -right click, select 'options', then 'video (advanced)', then 'video renderer' and pick 'enhanced video renderer'
    -right click, select 'options', then 'preferences'. This'll bring up preferences, where you need to do a couple things.
    -select '+video processing' from the left column. You'll be looking at 'KMP Video Transform Filter'. click the drop down box next to 'condition:' and choose 'disable with the following conditions'. Checkmark 'FourCC'.
    -select 'Internal Video Decoder' from the left column (under Filter Control > Decoder Usage if not immediately visible)
    -uncheck H.264 and AVC-1, VC-1, MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 and libmpeg2 / libmpeg2
    -select 'External Video Decoder' from the left column (under Filter Control > Decoder Usage if not immediately visible)
    -click the 'External Decoder Scan' button.
    -click 'Add after Scan' then click 'OK'.
    -click the drop down boxes next to MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, AVC1 and VC-1 and choose (respectively) Microsoft DTV-DVD, Microsoft DTV-DVD, WMVideo Decoder DMO, Microsoft DTV-DVD, and WMVideo Decoder DMO.

If you're on Vista/XP you need to do almost the same thing, except you have get and register ('regsvr32 MPCVideoDec.ax' in a command prompt as administrator) that MPCVideoDec.ax file I linked earlier, and choose that as the external codec in the last step of the instructions.

Alternatively, KMPlayer lets you export settings as a registry file and I'd be happy to send you my kmplayer settings if you want.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yep, at least using DXVA --though you have to tell it to do DXVA in preferences since by default it uses non-DXVA rendering (which will be just as resource intensive as VLC). If you're using Win7 then it's got built in DXVA already so you can change prefs and you're set, Vista or earlier and you'll need to grab MPCVideoDec.ax (a DXVA filter) from sourceforge and regsvr32 it as administrator, THEN change preferences.

So here's what you need to do in KMPlayer:

-run kmplayer, right click, select 'options' then 'advanced menu'
    -right click, select 'options', then 'video (advanced)', then 'video renderer' and pick 'enhanced video renderer'
    -right click, select 'options', then 'preferences'. This'll bring up preferences, where you need to do a couple things.
    -select '+video processing' from the left column. You'll be looking at 'KMP Video Transform Filter'. click the drop down box next to 'condition:' and choose 'disable with the following conditions'. Checkmark 'FourCC'.
    -select 'Internal Video Decoder' from the left column (under Filter Control > Decoder Usage if not immediately visible)
    -uncheck H.264 and AVC-1, VC-1, MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 and libmpeg2 / libmpeg2
    -select 'External Video Decoder' from the left column (under Filter Control > Decoder Usage if not immediately visible)
    -click the 'External Decoder Scan' button.
    -click 'Add after Scan' then click 'OK'.
    -click the drop down boxes next to MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, AVC1 and VC-1 and choose (respectively) Microsoft DTV-DVD, Microsoft DTV-DVD, WMVideo Decoder DMO, Microsoft DTV-DVD, and WMVideo Decoder DMO.

If you're on Vista/XP you need to do almost the same thing, except you have get and register ('regsvr32 MPCVideoDec.ax' in a command prompt as administrator) that MPCVideoDec.ax file I linked earlier, and choose that as the external codec in the last step of the instructions.

Alternatively, KMPlayer lets you export settings as a registry file and I'd be happy to send you my kmplayer settings if you want.
    Or you can go to the same site as MPCVideoDec.ax (a DXVA filter) from sourceforge and download the MPC HomeCinema player instead.
    In Windows 7 you change output from Default to EVR renderer and DXVA works.

@Idoliside: For DXVA to work your GPU needs to be either a ATI HD card or a Geforce 7XXX or higher. Some Geforce 6XXX cards works as well.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    But then you don't get to take part in the awesomeness that is KMPlayer ;). Not that anything is wrong with MPC-HC.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So apparently Windows 7 in the EU won't ship with IE installed.

How exactly are EU customers supposed to get a different web browser or get online?

I foresee a rebirth of the AOL-esque junk mail CD!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

How exactly are EU customers supposed to get a different web browser or get online?

Will Firefox start selling their browser on inexpensive flash drives?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pre installed windows will have Internet explorer separately pre installed if the company selling them wants to.
    Every box of windows 7 could include a complementary disc with IE.
    I assume that Windows update will still magically work and be able to install IE.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also thought I heard MS would be forced to provide an easy way to download & install Firefox, Opera, etc, but I think that was before the most recent announcement about barring IE completely*.

*Except for the aforementioned bundling by OEMs, that is.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

cmd
    ftp
    open releases.mozilla.org
    anonymous
    anonymous
    cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US
    type image (or binary)
    lcd C:\
    get "Firefox Setup 3.0.11.exe"
    bye
    exit

Also, apparently the OEMs will have the choice to bundle whatever browser they want -- be it IE, Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. So it shouldn't end up a problem at all.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    KingLampshadeKingLampshade regular
    edited June 2009
    I honestly haven't payed much attention to Win7. I started Vista x64 SP1 in my new rig and haven't looked back, no major problems though I won't deny that it is a memory hog.

So is Windows 7 still the kinda Vista redux? To erase the bad reputation and convert over the remaining XP users? Or are there significant reasons to upgrade from Vista?

KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you're happy with Vista I don't think there's really much in 7 to entice you to upgrade. Sure, it's a bit faster, somewhat leaner, and has a few new features, but I'd be hard pressed to find something to sell people on putting down $50/$100/whatever on the upgrade. All I can say is to give the Release Candidate a shot and see for yourself.

Or you could be like me and compulsively buy the latest and greatest if for no other reason than to play around with it. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The EU is really taking things to the extreme.

Yes we all hated IE6, but every time you shake your fist at Microsoft just remember it's assholes like the EU and Opera who hire lawyers who make it as hard as possible for Microsoft to distribute not only new versions of their browser but also push updates to software like IE6. It's not like it's technically impossible for them to patch IE6. It's just that it's illegal for them to do it in some markets.

These legal rulings are just catastrophically bad and make the lives of people like myself who's jobs are affected by the browser wars just a tiny bit harder, all so the fuckheads at Opera can keep their obsolete business model afloat.
    RBach wrote: »
    If you're happy with Vista I don't think there's really much in 7 to entice you to upgrade. Sure, it's a bit faster, somewhat leaner, and has a few new features, but I'd be hard pressed to find something to sell people on putting down $50/$100/whatever on the upgrade. All I can say is to give the Release Candidate a shot and see for yourself.

Or you could be like me and compulsively buy the latest and greatest if for no other reason than to play around with it. :)

Err maybe you don't understand. The performance updates are insanely better. Like, ridiculously better, especially under load.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What rulings have forbidden MS from patching IE?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

The same ones that prevent them from pushing IE7 in Service Packs. And perhaps not even an existing ruling, but the strong likelihood that they would get taken to court immediately after doing so and get mopped up in every market outside of the US.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »

cmd
    ftp
    anonymous
    anonymous
    type image (or binary)
    bye
    exit

Ya, that comes off a bit dickish. Explain to me how someone who doesn't know what FTP is would know that. And how will they look it up with no web browser.

But yea, OEM's will get to install whichever they want. I suspect that the majority of them will just stick IE on it anyway. it's the people who buy retail copies that will either have to install IE on a disc separately, or given instructions on how to do that. Which is still fucking stupid. This isn't 1996.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

cmd
    ftp
    anonymous
    anonymous
    type image (or binary)
    bye
    exit

Ya, that comes off a bit dickish. Explain to me how someone who doesn't know what FTP is would know that. And how will they look it up with no web browser.

Er, you'd tell them. I'm not showing off and saying "what are you talking about, it's easy as pie!"

I'm saying it's perfectly possible, and something that would only take someone a minute to walk through, so it's not bad at all -- especially when the directions are passed on.

What you don't think normal people do this already all the time? My mom has a notebook an inch thick of everything I've ever told her relating to computers, from how to resize a photo in photoshop to doing a scan on her scanner. My dad takes notes on how to subscribe to RSS feeds, and write data cd's and how to strip the formatting off a piece of text he's copied from the internet.

I tell them, and they write them down, just as easy as they'd write:
    start --> "cmd"
    "ftp"
    "open releases.mozilla.org"
    "anonymous"
    "anonymous"
    "cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US"
    "type binary"
    "lcd desktop"
    "get "Firefox Setup 3.0.11.exe""
    "bye"
    "exit"

It isn't fucking showing off, it's the directions tsmvengy asked for, and it's a viable method of getting a browser on your system without having one, on a vanilla W7 install. And like how the layman learns windows, it's exactly the same method most people on here learn to use Linux -- writing down a set of directions, lines to enter in the shell. Get over yourself.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not really the point there recoil.

The fact is that it is ridiculous to hamstring an OS by refusing it to be bundled with a browser and to make you do a stupid little cock and ball dance in order to let you connect to something as basic as the internet. In fact it's not even the fact that it's the internet. It's the fact that they are forcing you to install something that should be included in the first place.

It's not even something that people with a medium amount of tech savyness would have thought of. I mean yes, looking at what you are doing I can clearly see what you are doing. But I wouldn't have thought of that as a solution, the only one I could think of is download it on another computer and install it that way, but regardless it's a silly way to install something.

I mean what if Opera decided to make a DOS box? How would you get one then?

Or say they decided to complain about the browser in my phone instead?

Blake T on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They should just include the installers for IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera and let people choose. Or a single installer where you choose what browser you want and it just grabs the latest installer for you.

Hell, if they're really lazy, they can just give consumers a batch file of what Recoil posted.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What you don't think normal people do this already all the time? My mom has a notebook an inch thick of everything I've ever told her relating to computers, from how to resize a photo in photoshop to doing a scan on her scanner. My dad takes notes on how to subscribe to RSS feeds, and write data cd's and how to strip the formatting off a piece of text he's copied from the internet.

Well la dee fucking dah. Ain't your parents grand. I hate to break it to you, but the other 99.99% of people just want shit to work. You seriously think most people would go through all those steps to get a web browser installed? Get the fuck out of here. Windows has tons of built in help files, how often do you think the laymen user opens them and reads them? People routinely take working electronics back to the store because they can't figure them out and people already complain that computers are a pain in the ass.

It isn't fucking showing off, it's the directions tsmvengy asked for, and it's a viable method of getting a browser on your system without having one, on a vanilla W7 install. And like how the layman learns windows, it's exactly the same method most people on here learn to use Linux -- writing down a set of directions, lines to enter in the shell. Get over yourself.

Yeah great, except again most people just want a computer that works. They want to treat it like an appliance. Flip it on and it works. How many people had blinking 12:00 on their vcr, microwave or stove? This is why linux continues to evolve to be more user friendly and most things can be done away from the command prompt now. Keep waving your e-peen around, no one cares. An obscure, difficult to use and difficult to explain solution is just as good as no solution at all to the masses. And that is exactly what we are talking about, the masses. Computers are a disposable commodity now, everyone owns one, not just the dorks like you in mom's basement.

travathian on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

The same ones that prevent them from pushing IE7 in Service Packs. And perhaps not even an existing ruling, but the strong likelihood that they would get taken to court immediately after doing so and get mopped up in every market outside of the US.

Really? So IE7 isn't even available as a high priority item on Windows Updates in the EU?

Frem on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    They should just include the installers for IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera and let people choose. Or a single installer where you choose what browser you want and it just grabs the latest installer for you.

Hell, if they're really lazy, they can just give consumers a batch file of what Recoil posted.

Good idea, have a prompt when you install with the different browser options. No doubt they would have IE in big letters and arrows saying "this is fucking ace".

As much as i don't like IE, not including it with Windows is generally a bit stupid considering the amount of people who use the internet and don't know the difference between a search engine and a browser.

Take this for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthenextweb.com%2F2009%2F06%2F19%2Fgoogle-asked-people-times-square-browser-responses-shock%2F&feature=player_embedded

Idoliside on