As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whedonverse Comics: Buffy Season 8, Angel: After the Fall, Serenity

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Look we all know that the main reason Season 5 was the best is due to the interaction of Spike and Angel.

I mean every guest episode was a freaking laugh riot when Spike appeared. I mean his dialog when he sees angel rescue that girl from the roof top in Season 2 (i think ) was hilarious.

Season 1. Amazingly, given that I'm such a Joss fan, I didn't even watch Angel the first time around until midway through season 4, mosty so I'd be prepared for the Buffy finale. It was mostly a time issue for me, really. So now I'm catching up via DVD, and I actually just finished season 1.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just watched Once More, With Feeling again.

so awesome

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    olol opinions?

No shit, numbnuts.

Oh man, I finally got insulted by Tube!

I feel like a real forumer now.

Anyway, I pretty much share Whippy's feelings on comparing Angel to Buffy as well as Conner.

And I'm probably the only person in the world who has no problems with the last season of Buffy. I've just realized that Whedon will fuck up any character at the drop of a hat for an emotional response, and because of that you worry about the characters more and become more attatched to them.

Furu on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    olol opinions?

No shit, numbnuts.

Anyway, I pretty much share Whippy's feelings on comparing Angel to Buffy as well as Conner.

And I'm probably the only person in the world who has no problems with the last season of Buffy. I've just realized that Whedon will fuck up any character at the drop of a hat for an emotional response, and because of that you worry about the characters more and become more attatched to them.
    I still can't forgive him for what he did to Cordelia though.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    Each season had its good and bad points. On buffy, season six was absolute horse shit because of the painful fucking magic/drug metaphors, but really funny every time ''The Trio'' was on-screen.

I really liked season seven. It was...happier. By that point I was just watching because I enjoyed the ancillary characters more. But like I said, there's always a good and bad side. Xander was always a funny character, but breaking up with Anya dragged it down. Willow was Willow. At the core she was still the mousy little girl you fell in love with in season one, but on the other hand you get the GUYS I AM GAY REALLY REALLY TRULY rammed down your throat. Giles turned into a stone cold badass, just like Wesley, but at the sacrifice of some of the innocence that made him appealing in the first place.

Season five was good because, uh..

uh

it had some Oz episodes? Let's go with that.

But the complaints I had about everything else are the ones everyone has. Glory was a terrible actress, and the shit with her and, uh, Ben? I think his name was Ben. the dude she turned into. that shit was confusing and shudder-worthy.

I won't even talk about Dawn. She is like the inverse-Connor. All of her plotlines were terrible and her very presence was offensive to both the eyes and ears. Should've stayed on All That, bitch.

Season four was good for me because, honestly, I liked Riley a lot. He was bland, he was boring, and he was exactly what Buffy needed. It was like the end of fucking MASH when he flew away.

I kind of always hated the mayor, from season three. He never really appealed to me, and I don't see why everyone says he was the best ever. I guess people found this nice guy doing terrible things concept funny or something? It just seemed played out, for me.

But we got Faith out of season three, and she's a fascinating character. Though, if you've only seen Buffy, you've really missed out. Her appearances on Angel were so much better, especially her last, around the middle of season four.

Season two was good because, hey, Spike. Angelus was entertaining as well, but I fucking hated the ''men are only interested in you to fuck you and afterwards they'll be completely different'' metaphor. It fucking infuriated me, almost as much as the drugs/magics. I mean, shit, I know your show is all about Girl fucking Power, Joss, but give us a god damned break.

Season one was good because, uh...the Master was a good actor? Shit, I don't know. It was a kind of rough start, but we did get the aforementioned mousy Willow, and I have no problem admitting my boners for a character that was supposed to be something like fifteen or sixteen.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    because when connor was happy, he was an absolute badass, and I got many boners from seeing him and angel just beating shit up

At the very end of Angel, when Connor jumps in and they beat the shit out of Marcus Hamilton, that is pretty much the most badass thing ever.

Well, that and when Wesley shoots Knox.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Whippy, I don't believe Oz showed up in season 5. His last appearance was the season finale of season 4.

But I get your point about the rest of it. Maybe the reason there are so many standout episodes in the later seasons is because there were so many bland ones.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I put on the OMWF soundtrack when I work out.

:?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The OMWF soundtrack is so good

You can hear the embarrassment in Alyson Hannigan's voice

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    The OMWF soundtrack is so good

You can hear the embarrassment in Alyson Hannigan's voice

That isn't embarrassment... it's pure, unadulterated sucking. She simply can't sing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well yeah

Anyway

I wonder if Xander ever has thoughts of walking into Gigantic Dawn's vagina and jumping around

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    olol opinions?

No shit, numbnuts.

For me, it's how he fucked over Tara by having Willow move unto that Suicide Girl-wannabe as soon as possible. Shit, the grave was barely even cold yet. Fuck you for that, Joss Whedon. Fuck you.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kennedy was the worst fucking character

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No one likes Kennedy.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    because when connor was happy, he was an absolute badass, and I got many boners from seeing him and angel just beating shit up

At the very end of Angel, when Connor jumps in and they beat the shit out of Marcus Hamilton, that is pretty much the most badass thing ever.

Well, that and when Wesley shoots Knox.

Knox was great.

Well, I liked the actor a lot. I sympathized a lot with Wesley, so seeing some dude roll in and mack on his lady after years of pining. The actor, though, he was great, and really charismatic, even though the character was written to be both kinda sleazy and kinda lovable at the same time. He also played the vampire Buffy talks to in Conversations with Dead People, and was easily the best part of that episode. You can tell he really enjoys his job.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The therapist vampire was awesome

He also was that guy from Firefly who wrestled naked with Nathan Fillion

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I always liked how Whedon "recycled" a lot of actors for all of his shows. My girlfriend and I have been going through Buffy, Angel and Firefly and you tend to recognize a lot of faces. Guess that old Joss wanted to get his moneys worth, actorwise :D

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nah... Joss is just really loyal.

Speaking of which, Nathan Fillion's Caleb was easily the best part of season 7.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    olol opinions?

No shit, numbnuts.

For me, it's how he fucked over Tara by having Willow move unto that Suicide Girl-wannabe as soon as possible. Shit, the grave was barely even cold yet. Fuck you for that, Joss Whedon. Fuck you.

To be fair, it was closer to a year, though it's hard to tell exact dates given that some episodes occur with no pause in Buffyverse time and others presumably have weeks or months in between to make up for it. And this was after only two years of a relationship, including several months of separation right before they briefly got back together and Tara's death.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Regardless. She tried to destroy the world over Tara.

Nailing Kennedy? The worst character in the buffyverse. Really the worst.

No no.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Man, I just saw the last episode of Angel and I'm still a bit upset that
    Wesley dies in Fred/Illyrias arms. It was a great scene but Wesley was one of my absolute favourite characters. Gunn could have become vampire chow for all I care though.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

No no.

Well... she had the whole guilt complex over it by turning into Warren... so, maybe that makes up for it?

Kennedy was kind of annoying, but so were pretty much all of the Slayer-ettes... I think it was supposed to be a throwback to how Buffy was the first few episodes of the series... the whole I'm not a slayer thing, I can totally bring my date to this morgue... yadda yadda.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Asian slayer who couldn't speak English was good for some laughs. It's a shame that the ones with interesting looks and diverse backgrounds were the ones who were killed to build the event up.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wesley dies in Fred/Illyrias arms. It was a great scene but Wesley was one of my absolute favourite characters. Gunn could have become vampire chow for all I care though.

It certainly wouldn't have been nearly as powerful of a scene.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

It certainly wouldn't have been nearly as powerful of a scene.

Yeah... as much as I hated to see it happen, watching it happen was pretty powerful stuff.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

No no.

Well... she had the whole guilt complex over it by turning into Warren... so, maybe that makes up for it?

Kennedy was kind of annoying, but so were pretty much all of the Slayer-ettes... I think it was supposed to be a throwback to how Buffy was the first few episodes of the series... the whole I'm not a slayer thing, I can totally bring my date to this morgue... yadda yadda.

Well, we haven't seen Willow yet, so maybe she dumped Kennedy by now in the comics series or will soon do so for another woman. Or man, or even Oz (on the assumption that Willow is bi, not gay.)

I don't think Kennedy is that bad; I just think the loss of Tara still hurt. I remember a lot of people hated Tara too, since she was basically Oz's replacement. Or can you think of someone else that would have been more appropriate for Willow to be romantically linked to by season 7?

Regardless, it's fairly neat that, thanks to her role as Kennedy, the actress that played her ended up coming to terms with her own bisexuality and, as of the last interview with her that I read, is dating a female DJ.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Joss wanted to bring Tara back to life in season 7, maybe he'll do it in the comics.

And then Tara can kill Kennedy. And have sex with Willow.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Joss wanted to bring Tara back to life in season 7, maybe he'll do it in the comics.

And then Tara can kill Kennedy. And have sex with Willow.
    I'm cool with dead Kennedy, every thing else after that is just gravy.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is this a good place to say how much I hate Glory and season five in general? I mean it's a more solid season than four and probably six and seven too but I just find that whole season annoying and Glory probably the main reason. Who thought it was a good idea that Buffy needed another prissy shallow bimbo character?

I remember enjoying season six when it started, and it was my reinition into Buffy again after an absence of a couple of seasons. I liked the Buffy back from the dead plot, but the season didn't hold up well. We also see the stunting of Xander in this season as he is slowly built up little bit by little bit in the other seasons but seems to lose all of his cool points and into the last season. I'm glad to see that they're giving the character something worthwhile to do in the comics now. It's funny that when you look back on the first season Xander seems like a character with lots of promise and is obviously the second main character and possible Buffy love interest. It was kind of sad to see him lose that as the show went on.

I've got loads of Buffy/Angel opinions but I'll just do it in dibs and drabs to avoid wall-of-texting everybody.

Also IMHO Angel season five was the best whole season of the Buffy/Angelverse.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I always felt that Xander was one of the most underused characters of the show. I felt that in the later seasons he was pretty much there only to fix broken stuff and being the Scooby's bitch in general. It's nice to hear that he gets a lot more appreciation in the comics.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Is this a good place to say how much I hate Glory and season five in general? I mean it's a more solid season than four and probably six and seven too but I just find that whole season annoying and Glory probably the main reason. Who thought it was a good idea that Buffy needed another prissy shallow bimbo character?

I'm of the opinion that Glory would have been really, really creepy if the actress had any semblance of talent.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »

I'm of the opinion that Glory would have been really, really creepy if the actress had any semblance of talent.

Maybe, I just find it hard to not think of her as a terrible character. And the Ben stuff . . . I don't even know what that was all about. At first it appears that they are setting Ben up as Buffy's new romance but then he just sort of drifts around and then turns into a pretty unlikeable fellow. Glory was just so one dimensional and I think Ben and the sucking of minds thing that she did was suppossed to give her depth. I would have rather have had Adam back, or even Harmony! Her and Glory have like the same personality anyway!

Even though Buffy had some great episodes later on I do feel that the show was hurt by leaving the school. I know that they couldn't stay there forever and the show and characters needed to move on but I just think that they lost the glue that held the show together making a more disjointed product. There are however some very good episodes in the post-school seasons.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I always felt that Xander was one of the most underused characters of the show. I felt that in the later seasons he was pretty much there only to fix broken stuff and being the Scooby's bitch in general. It's nice to hear that he gets a lot more appreciation in the comics.

But that's the thing... any other show would have just left it at that... but this show always went back and addressed Xander's feelings of uselessness and how he never really felt like part of the team because he didn't have powers.

I mean, even going back to Season 3 and the episode "The Zeppo." The nice thing about him was that, despite the fact that he only ever fixed things, he was more a part of the show and group then anyone who would join later.

Oh, and yeah... the actress who played Glory pretty much sucked. She wasn't even that hot, which would have at least made up for the sucking a bit.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Clare Kramer was pretty decent in some other roles I've seen her in (not to mention is much prettier with straight hair), but she was really over reaching as Glory

Still I would rather watch her than Dark Willow

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But Vampire Willow...how did a bookworm become that hot?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Alyson Hannigan's always been hot :V

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I did kind of wish Xander would have kept his military know-how past season 3, since that did give him some functional ability without him gaining "powers" so to speak.

But then again, we wouldn't have gotten xander's "it's okay to not be in the spotlight, because then you get to see everything" speach to Dawn.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Alyson Hannigan's always been hot :V

Damn straight.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nah, she was all plain jane to Gellar's slut cheerleader. Then she became this insane super slutty hot babe.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What about in Halloween when she wore that slutty goth midriff bearing costume

The hotness has always been there

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg