Options

Anaal [Chat]rakh

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Or you can go from being the last man in the universe to a taxi driver in northern England if you aren't careful.

And then you meet the last man in the universe who looks exactly like you and it was all a dream and that whole three parter was just a not particularly funny rehash of Back to Reality! [/Bitter]

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Ian McKellan was in Coro for a bit. And Peter Kay.

Kay's cameo was brilliant. He's in a restaurant and gets a meal that includes salad, so he sends it back complaining that someone in the kitchen has left the door open and leaves have blown on to his plate.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You are now reading my posts in Droopy Dog's voice.

I heard your mom's going out with...Squeak!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ian McKellan was in Coro for a bit. And Peter Kay.

Kay's cameo was brilliant. He's in a restaurant and gets a meal that includes salad, so he sends it back complaining that someone in the kitchen has left the door open and leaves have blown on to his plate.

I've not seen either of those. I saw the episode with Status Quo in. That was just irrelevant madness.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I discovered the other day that Arthur the Aardvark is still being made, and they're gonna have a very special episode where someone gets cancer and Lance Armstrong guest stars.

You learn something new every day.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    McKellan played a con-artist writer who was after money from pretentious berks for his gritty northern novel: 'Hard Grinding'. He was great.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Damn you Netherlands stop spamming me!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "You can tell Mr Spielberg it's Lancashire or nowt."

Bogart on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    chat is being taken over by british people!

ahhhhh!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    And now this week's installment of YOU FUCKING CUNT GET HIT BY A BUS FULL OF HERPES starring Donald K Wiggin

I have to take Expository Writing as a pre-req for the radiography program. When class started, we did a diagnostic essay just so she could see where we are in terms of writing. We got a period to write it, and the topic was "Who I am as a student." I couldn't think of shit so I basically wrote 375 words on how I've been a pretty shitty student.

So I turn it in, get it back with a C. OK, cool. Let's see what I get for feedback.

Nothing. Nothing at all. The only feedback I get is basically her bitching about what I wrote about. I got no actual constructive criticism, unlike everyone else in the classroom.

So, revise it to the best of my ability, seeing as I don't have any feedback, and I get an 82. 90% of the points I lost were because of things I didn't change because I didn't get any feedback so I didn't know I needed to fix it.

I talk to the teacher after class today, and tell her "you know I have no problem with my grade, but I do have a problem with I didn't get any actual feedback on what I wrote other than "you have a bad attitude."

Her response boils down to "well that's your fault because you have a bad attitude"

The last time I was this pissed off I broke a fucking door

I swear to Christ

Me Too! on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Oceanic, i'm going to cut you.

With a knife.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You wrote an essay about how terrible a student you are and were then surprised when your teacher thought this denoted a bad attitude?

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You wrote an essay about how terrible a student you are and were then surprised when your teacher thought this denoted a bad attitude?

No I was surprised when she used this as justification for not telling me what I needed to work on and instead just bitched about my attitude

Literally the only feedback on my rough draft is along the lines of "Have yuo considered a job that doesn't require college?"

Yes I have actually but that's not an option anymore

Me Too! on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, that on a writing assignment where he got a low score, her criticism was of his attitude, not things he could do to get a better grade.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

No I was surprised when she used this as justification for not telling me what I needed to work on and instead just bitched about my attitude

Literally the only feedback on my rough draft is along the lines of "Have yuo considered a job that doesn't require college?"

Man, you should've handed it back with "Have you?"

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    writing courses are very much about how much the instructor likes your personality, opinions and personal style.

You have obviously gotten off on a bad start with this teacher. Try to fix that or you have no hope of an A.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd also like to point out that "broke a door" is not an exaggeration

I put a size eight green suede combat boot, with my foot inside, through the door to the john the last time I was this pissed

And when I talked to her today she literally said WELL I WROTE and pointed to the comment I just mentioned

I nearly lost it

What I really wanted to say was THAT IS NOT FEEDBACK THAT IS YOUR OPINION BASED ON YOUR JUDGMENT OF ME BASED ON KNOWING ME FOR TWO WEEKS AND READING A FUCKING ESSAY THAT I WROTE IN HALF AN HOUR GET FUCKED YOU CUNT

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

Man, you should've handed it back with "Have you?"
    L’esprit de l’escalier...

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like "work harder" might be good feedback.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Conference centre looks nice.

I am feeling vaguely optimistic about this.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No, that on a writing assignment where he got a low score, her criticism was of his attitude, not things he could do to get a better grade.

So she was unhelpful, and failed in her role as a teacher. Yeah, quite possibly, but Wiggin seems to be just provoking her. Is this the same teacher you lied to about writing an essay and then just spewed out 15 minutes of garbage as a summation of this imaginary essay? And who spotted this?

Wiggin, she may be unhelpful, but it doesn't seem like you're making much of an effort.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    writing courses are very much about how much the instructor likes your personality, opinions and personal style.

You have obviously gotten off on a bad start with this teacher. Try to fix that or you have no hope of an A.

I don't give a fuck about an A, I'm good with a solid B

I want to know what I need to fix on my papers, because writing really isn't my strong suit, and the appropriate time for her to give that feedback is on a rough draft

Not on the final draft after she gives no feedback whatsoever other than "Well you're just a Negative Nancy"

And it's not like she didn't give feedback to anybody else

She literally did this just on mine, and then when I talked to her pointed my attention to her criticism of my choice of subject matter and then told me WELL YOU HAD A WEEK TO REVISE

Revise what exactly? Based on what criticism? You're the teacher, you're supposed to teach me these things because I'm paying three fucking grand for this class

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "You're not taking the assignment seriously", "Multiple run-on sentences", "374 of your 375 words are profanity", that's good feedback.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    'size eight green suede combat boot'

God that's an image.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »
    'size eight green suede combat boot'

God that's an image.
    Sounds like it'd be appropriate in a different kind of parade.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »

With a knife.

But then who will give you the antidote?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The guy who was meant to be looking at some of my samples with me on the SEM sold me out. I an see him adding files to the shared SEM image folder and he didn't ring me to let me know when he was doing it :(

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Start deleting images as fast as he adds them?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "You're not taking the assignment seriously", "Multiple run-on sentences", "374 of your 375 words are profanity", that's good feedback.

The final draft says "You need to have a clearer thesis statement"

You know what would have been nice

If you had told me that on the rough draft because IT'S THE SAME FUCKING SENTENCE ON BOTH PAPERS

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You prolly could use some real criticism but an attitude adjustment does seem to be a good part of it. In the three posts you've made about this class I've already picked up you don't give a fuck about it and just want to coast through it as easy as possible. Can you really blame a teacher for being annoyed at that?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You prolly could use some real criticism but an attitude adjustment does seem to be a good part of it. In the three posts you've made about this class I've already picked up you don't give a fuck about it and just want to coast through it as easy as possible. Can you really blame a teacher for being annoyed at that?
    Yeah, when a teacher can tell you're not really trying, they tend to return the favor.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    'morning [chat]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    More importantly, teachers are people. Nothing annoys someone marking stuff more then getting the impression that you didn't try and you don't care about the class. If you don't give a fuck, why should they?

If you look like you tried, you'll get marked closely. If it looks like you didn't try, they're not even going to try and give you marks.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Actually I really would like a good grade in this class because my grades this semester factor into my application for the radiography program in January

I need a solid B at least, because I know I'll do well enough in other classes to cover for one B, but any lower than that and I'm fucked

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICHY!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »

With a knife.

But then who will give you the antidote?

Damn you, damn you to hell.
    You win this round.
    I'm still gonna cut you.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The problem with English, is it strikes me as something you’re either adept at or you’re not. Very hard to go more than a grade in either direction. Unless you’ve been putting in absolutely zero effort in your work. Especially so at Uni level.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, when a teacher can tell you're not really trying, they tend to return the favor.

This.

Bogart on
This discussion has been closed.