Options

New Protomen Album is out! Arguments kinda suck when they're not in Rock Opera format

• Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    okay I just listened to all of The Protomen

and then I listened to all of Act II for the first time, with liner notes

friggin' INCREDIBLE

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    played Light Up The Night on the radio show tonight

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i'm gonna give it another listen but if it drags again we gonna have a problem

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey I like this thread where indie kids don't stab me for liking Mega Man

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still have "I AM I AM I AM READY" stuck in my head

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ok, got my cd today. as most people have already said, breaking out, light up the night, and the hounds really stand out. have to say that i like the first ablum better. this one has a great deal of exposition, where as the last one explained circumstance through action, which i prefer

sligmasta on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually think the opposite is true.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fire Truck wrote: »

Really? You could figure out like 90% of the story in Act I by just listening to the songs, whereas most people people didn't even realize that the character Joe existed until they got to Here Comes the Arm. The liner notes in Act I mostly filled out background details, whereas this time around they cover a huge chunk of the narrative.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    really? i find this album is almost nothing but people singing to themselves, where as almost everysong in act one was interaction between light and mega, or mega and proto, or the narrator

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Really? You could figure out like 90% of the story in Act I by just listening to the songs, whereas most people people didn't even realize that the character Joe existed until they got to Here Comes the Arm. The liner notes in Act I mostly filled out background details, whereas this time around they cover a huge chunk of the narrative.

I thought he meant, like, exposition within the songs themselves. As in Act I explicitly told way more of the story through the songs themselves, while Act II had a lot of more atmospheric songs that you may not even were part of a story unless you were listening for it. I thought he was saying the opposite of that.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sligmasta wrote: »
    really? i find this album is almost nothing but people singing to themselves, where as almost everysong in act one was interaction between light and mega, or mega and proto, or the narrator

Actually to be fair, most of the time the characters are interacting with someone, just not someone with a singing part. Like Wily in the Hounds is singing to the reporters, and Joe in Breaking Out is singing to the girl in the bar/the people telling him to be quiet.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Act II definitely has more exposition, but I don't mind it because that's the whole point. Its place in the story was to flesh out the setting and characters from Act I. It also had the job of covering several decades and multiple important events, while most of Act I was just about the Mega Man vs Proto Man fight.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So when you say that Act II had more exposition, you mean to say it needed more exposition, right?

That's what I'm getting from reading your posts.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So when you say that Act II had more exposition, you mean to say it needed more exposition, right?

That's what I'm getting from reading your posts.

That's what I'm saying at least.

Not that I think that's a bad thing. All in all I like Act II better.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ah, what im saying is that act II had alot of people singing the things they felt to themselves or directly to the audience, where as in act I it was incorperated into the action and dialogue. the latter of which i prefer. which is why i think light up the night, the hounds, and breaking out are the real stand out songs on the album

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ah, what im saying is that act II had alot of people singing the things they felt to themselves or directly to the audience, where as in act I it was incorperated into the action and dialogue. the latter of which i prefer. which is why i think light up the night, the hounds, and breaking out are the real stand out songs on the album

What about Good Doctor? That's a conversation between Light and Wily.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

What about Good Doctor? That's a conversation between Light and Wily.

ah, im not saying its the only thing that makes those songs great, but i think its a componant of it. Good doctor is a good song and i love the interaction between wily and light, and how it starts to introduce you to how undermining wily is. but for me it doesn't have the same draw as the other three which i can listen to as stand alone songs, where as good doctor i have to listen to in the context of the album.

as i listen to it more im sure i will start to hear new nuance and little things i didnt notice in this first day of ownership, but off the first listen and read through, these are the impressions i got

sligmasta on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so does panther do wily's voice, too?

also the good doctor is the best song

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cantide wrote: »
    Act II definitely has more exposition, but I don't mind it because that's the whole point. Its place in the story was to flesh out the setting and characters from Act I. It also had the job of covering several decades and multiple important events, while most of Act I was just about the Mega Man vs Proto Man fight.

this is true, with the exposition they make it easier to cover more time and motives, which is really the purpose of a flash back. and they do a great job of that. i just find the album less appealing initially, which isnt to say it isnt a great album.

the first album i loved right off the first listen, this second one ill listen to a few time and ill grow to love it.

sligmasta on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    so does panther do wily's voice, too?

also the good doctor is the best song

nope.

Wily and light are pretty obviously performed by different singers

but Light and Joe are both panther

which is what confused me, before the liner notes into thinking Breaking Out, Keep Quiet and Light up the Night were all Dr Light since Joe was never really introduced lyrically

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    all i know is, i want more wily!

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also it's pretty silly to say that Act II had more straight up exposition than Act I when the first 5 minutes of Act I are pure narration.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    yeah, i should say unnessesary exposition, i feel a narrator speaking to the audience is fine, thats the whole purpose of a narrator, yet i hate it when a character does it. this is a problem i have with a lot of musicals and operas, if a person is feeling something that you want us to know about, have them express it through action or interaction. people dont just sit there and say what they feel when standing there by themselves.

but thats a topic for a theatre appreciation thread.

sligmasta on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dude has a lot to say about protomens

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    have you ever seen an opera

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    don't diss pipe he knows about music

he took a class in COLLEGE

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    or fucking shakespeare for that matter

shit's full of soliloquies

one dude talking to himself about how he feels

not only that, but this is intended to be consumed in a purely musical fashion, we can't see facial expression or movement

it's pretty hard to divine emotional content from chord changes and instrumentation.

#pipe on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was his professor I was like listen to this shit man

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I told you

I told you about Pipe being knowledgeful

Robcham on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't understand most of what Pipe is saying so I think I'm going to side with him on this.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    yes, i have. im not saying that all they sing is explanation of what they're feeling, and i recognize that in opera by definition everything is sung, so the action and inter action is always expressed through song, but you often get a song or two of a single character on stage explaining why they feel a certain way, or how much they love someone, or why they have to poison a person. it happens alot more in musicals than opera, but this is something i dislike.

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    this shit

it is rocking shit

Projeck on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Conversely, I understand everything Projeck is saying and agree with him.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    now say it with more words

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Robcham wrote: »
    I told you

I told you about Pipe being knowledgeful

warned.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yes, i have. im not saying that all they sing is explanation of what they're feeling, and i recognize that in opera by definition everything is sung, so the action and inter action is always expressed through song, but you often get a song or two of a single character on stage explaining why they feel a certain way, or how much they love someone, or why they have to poison a person. it happens alot more in musicals than opera, but this is something i dislike.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, so long as it isn't played out too literally.

But, a lot of the times, it is.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2009
    in act one every song is sung to someone if i remember correctly (you'll have to forgive me, at work, dont have track list)

i also hate the soliliquies in shakespear.

im not saying my opinions are for everyone, or that i have a degree in music, thats just the way i feel about it

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Conversely, I understand everything Projeck is saying and agree with him.

that is because

i am the one
    nqrdl.jpg

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    dude chill

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay lost again.

George Fornby Grill on
This discussion has been closed.