As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F*cking the Peach, and other stories.

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    dude is all B^U

Nuzak on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    toaster is my new person i will never talk to because apparently people prefer that over me being their bestest friend.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Polygon-Kristin Bell is still miles closer to the safe edge of the valley than these non-polygon dudes:
    white_chicks0.jpg

Just replaced 10-yo brook shields as the creepiest goddamn thing posted to the thread.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that, however, opens up the door to whether it's legitimate to find a fictional character intriguing as a whole person - as you would a real individual. i think women and girls get off a lot easier with this - just take a look at the fandom for the twilight series. society has no stigma for those fantasies, although arguably their source material is just as shallow as video games. for men, though, to be attracted to a fictional character is often a cultural taboo.

Of course it's legitimate. To make believable, intriguing characters that people can care about and that can illicit real feelings is the whole fucking point. Anyone that cares about their writing craft wants to create characters that people can really connect with in ways negative or positive.

Stephenie Meyer may not be the best writer around, but to create a character that girls and women all over the country have fallen in love with is like a dream.
    let's put it this way: nobody thinks a girl is a loser because she writes a romantic fanfic about herself and that dude from twilight.

What? Yes they do.
    EVERYONE thinks a guy is a loser if he admits to being attracted to a fictional character, let alone writing a love story about it.

Only when they get fucking creepy about it or get crude and pathetic. When you're talking about gaming and anime communities, that's almost always.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ToasterToaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    toaster is my new person i will never talk to because apparently people prefer that over me being their bestest friend.

Oh Pika, I didn't mean anything by it.

Toaster on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The OP's argument runs off in tangents, he starts off saying that it is silly to be attracted to video game characters. And then he argues that if the women in those pretty pictures can be considered beautiful why can't video game characters.

They can.

But there is a vast difference between saying a character is visually appealing and writing a fan fiction about how her boobs feel against her face.

I think it would be just as sad if someone said they wanted to bang the venus de milo.

Blake T on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One of these for example can happen whether you like it or not, unless you have a penis that wears a little monocle and tophat I guess.

Plenty of people try to pass themselves as this to look cool on the internet.

And I call bullshit.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Only when they get fucking creepy about it or get crude and pathetic. When you're talking about gaming and anime communities, that's almost always.

what makes gaming and anime get "fucking creepy about it", i wonder. is it the nature of an interactive experience or the strictures of anime convention?

is it the relative youth of each medium?
    Stephenie Meyer may not be the best writer around, but to create a character that girls and women all over the country have fallen in love with is like a dream.

wait, what?

so it's ok - no, scratch that, it's a fucking DREAM when you've got a male character that girls and women all over the country have fallen in love with?

and if a male gamer or anime fan says the same thing in as many words about a female character, it's "fucking creepy".

ah, i don't get it. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    @1:37

Well anyway, to answer the OP's question again, I think it's kind of impossible to not get turned on by this.

I think that's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. You really find that irresistible? That video is eye-rollingly hilarious.

Consciously finding something "irresistible" and being turned on (IE, poppin' a boner) are two different things dude.

One of these for example can happen whether you like it or not, unless you have a penis that wears a little monocle and tophat I guess.

Correct. I was speaking in purely a boner popping sense. As I said before, I don't actually give a toss about these girls beyond the physical appearance, therefore I'm not actually "attracted" to them.

Which is why it isn't too much of a stretch to feel attracted to an RPG character, as they're usually written in order for gamers to feel a certain connection or empathy from them. They're not always successful in the attempt, but I'm certain the intention is there.

Heck, many RPGs follow the dating sim approach, hence why you're given the option to be flirty toward one girl over the other. FFVII is the first example coming to mind, Persona 3 and 4 is the better example.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can we not act like there's anything more than luck as a driving force of Stephenie Meyer's success? Because there is nothing unique or interesting about Edward Cullen. In fact his distinguishing characteristics are mostly being an incredibly blank slate with vaguely abusive tendencies.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited October 2009

what makes gaming and anime get "fucking creepy about it", i wonder. is it the nature of an interactive experience or the strictures of anime convention?

I'd imagine it might have to do with the largest interested demographics.

wait, what?

so it's ok - no, scratch that, it's a fucking DREAM when you've got a male character that girls and women all over the country have fallen in love with?

and if a male gamer or anime fan says the same thing in as many words about a female character, it's "fucking creepy".

No, it can get pretty weird when girls get obsessed with it, but take a look at how many gamers seem to focus on female characters in games and why.

Is it because these female videogame characters are interesting and complex and believable? No, not really. It's because they're totally hot and I'd totally bang her and by the way, I need to change my pants. So yes, it is like a dream to write a character that people can fall in love with. Is it a dream to make a character that young males masturbate to?

Not really. That's easy.
    Can we not act like there's anything more than luck as a driving force of Stephenie Meyer's success? Because there is nothing unique or interesting about Edward Cullen. In fact his distinguishing characteristics are mostly being an incredibly blank slate with vaguely abusive tendencies.

Who cares? It happened. It's irrelevant whether her success was an accident or not.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'd imagine it might have to do with the largest interested demographics.

wait, what?

No, it can get pretty weird when girls get obsessed with it, but take a look at how many gamers seem to focus on female characters in games and why.

Is it because these female videogame characters are interesting and complex and believable? No, not really. It's because they're totally hot and I'd totally bang her and by the way, I need to change my pants. So yes, it is like a dream to write a character that people can fall in love with. Is it a dream to make a character that young males masturbate to?

Not really. That's easy.

Who cares? It happened. It's irrelevant whether her success was an accident or not.

You're talking about love and lust, which are two closely related, but different things. Or someone was. Either way comparing Edward Cullen to the Dead or Alive girls is not a fair comparison. They're adored for entirely different reasons.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

"BUT HE'S SO PRETTY! SQUEE!"

I knew someone who was a Twilight fangirl, thankfully I was able to subvert her to the wonderful world of Hellsing.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Is it because these female videogame characters are interesting and complex and believable?

i posit that they're about as complex and believable as mr sparkly vampire

besides, i meant it when i said "if a male gamer or anime fan says the same thing in as many words", i.e., "i've fallen in love with character X", NOT "I'd totally bang her and by the way, I need to change my pants."

there's a difference, but you can see how the normal presumption (which you kindly demonstrated) is to assume the worst.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Is it because these female videogame characters are interesting and complex and believable?

besides, i meant it when i said "if a male gamer or anime fan says the same thing in as many words", i.e., "i've fallen in love with character X", NOT "I'd totally bang her and by the way, I need to change my pants."

there's a difference, but you can see how the normal presumption (which you kindly demonstrated) is to assume the worst.

I presume the worst because it's consistently demonstrated. In this forum, even.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I presume the worst because it's consistently demonstrated. In this forum, even.

There are drawings of Sonic the Hedgehog having relations with Krystal from the Star Fox series ... and every one of you has glanced them at least once.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

so we might distill an answer to the OP's question: it's the general reaction of gamers, not the game content, that causes the current stigma. :o

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Edward Cullen is ridiculously popular amongst women who have never grown up because he is the ultimate fantasy: the de-fanged bad boy! And abusive? You mean concerned. That's right, he cares so much it appears as if he is trying to control every single facet of that lucky girl's life (and if she listened she'd of course be better off - he knows best, after all!)

God, I hate Stephanie Meyer.

For the record, it doesn't matter what you fantasize to when you decide to spank the monkey or itch the ditch, as long as you recognize it is a fantasy. You've got to do your actual living and loving out in the real world. And if you decide to tell your deepest darkest fantasy to someone else, you're going to be judged, and usually harshly. That's just the way it works.

I'd take Sam Fisher over Sparkles McLamepire any day of the week, but that's just how I roll.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

so we might distill an answer to the OP's question: it's the general reaction of gamers, not the game content, that causes the current stigma. :o
    No, it's the intent of the creator. Always has been, always will be.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that G&T knows a lot about Edward Cullen.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I like pixel tits

Yeah, if I wanted to look at real tits, I'd go look at my girlfriend, but since she's always around, I like to look at hentai.

LewieP's Mummy! Don't look in this thread!
    :lol::lol:

Just incase it wasn't known, I was paraphrasing something K_A said at some point.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now that's a totally appropriate image for this forum.

/facepalm

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What in the fuck, where did the pedo come from

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aaand just like that, he's vanished!

Thanks mods!

Melkster on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Canadians are definitely screwed now.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah well, I can't unsee that either. Ugh.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just keep thinking of other things. The less you dwell on it, the better. In fact, go find a case of beer and drink it. You'll probably remember less.

Melkster on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    I think there's a difference between finding any sort of art or rendered image attractive, and actively pursuing a relationship with that image. (and that shit is real)

At least if he's fucking a pillow sham he can't procreate.

Pillow.gif

Won't stop them trying

Falx on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that G&T knows a lot about Edward Cullen.

And that "itch the ditch" is a euphemism I hadn't heard before

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am making a list of people in this thread who freak me out

Just for future reference

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I am making a list of people in this thread who freak me out

Just for future reference

Here, I did your homework for you

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Perfectly CromulentPerfectly Cromulent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    @1:37

Well anyway, to answer the OP's question again, I think it's kind of impossible to not get turned on by this.

Ugh. Not turned on at all. I have no desire to penetrate their uncanny valleys.

Perfectly Cromulent on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy shit this thread

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy shit this thread

It's pretty great right?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I find it amusing that the same day this thread was made was also when the announcement was made that Marge Simpson will be featured in Playboy.

Carry on. D:

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find it amusing that the same day this thread was made was also when the announcement was made that Marge Simpson will be featured in Playboy.

Carry on. D:

So what you're saying is that there is no God

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Or God is saying that cartoon porn is a-ok.

• Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Or God is saying that cartoon porn is a-ok.

If so, then all bets are off

But seriously this is the worst thread.
    It is.
    You were expecting a winky face, weren't you?

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this thread is terrifying

Projeck on
  • Options
    Perfectly CromulentPerfectly Cromulent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It has fuck-all to do with luck. Stephanie Meyer's books tap into some deep-seated (and frankly disturbing) female romantic fantasies.

Perfectly Cromulent on
This discussion has been closed.