As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guildwars 2] New Races of Tyria Trailer Out in 720p and 1080p!!!

1234568»

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Kazaka wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this one since Nightfall came out. That chapter totally killed it for me and I just gazed straight ahead - at the future, the sequel, the Charr that I will roll and FUCKING BURN YOUR SHIT.

Hopefully there won't be an army of Risen Korean Death-Gods that bathe in witch blood for precognition and finger-dexterity that use computers cooled by liquid souls.

Doesn't even matter that the Koreans are good, it's the fact you can't pronounce their fucking names. "Kill the guy with the squiggles for a name!" "They're all squiggles!" "The one that looks like a pig fucking some matchsticks!" "This one?" "JUST KILL THE FUCKING MONK!"

Ctrl + Spacebar?

It's a bit harder than that, as you might want just a mesmer say, to be on the watch out for a particular person, especially when they res, however, every team member is given a number so you can just use that instead of their name. I think we used to do a similar trick when we were trying out some gimmick builds to make it harder for people to spot key people
    llllll lllllllll
    lllll llllllll
    llllll llllllll

I would assume the one with less bars would be your most important player.

Most people would assume it to be the one with most bars so I figure to throw them off you'd make it the one with less. You could put them in the middle and memorize the bar order but most players are too lazy.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's devious. That also reminds me, I had a berserker in Everquest named Illiiiiliilliilliilililili Illiiiiiliililililll (or something like that) and nobody ever wanted to group with me for some reason. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bumpity bump.

Artbook is now available for order.

Rook on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really enjoy GW, and am very glad that Nightfall introduced heroes because PUGs are terrible and too many clans only about GvG and not about going out and exploring and doing shit. The only things I haven't completed yet are some of the EotN dungeons, two of the Titan quests, and the Sorrow's Furnace stuff. And thankfully GW2 is far enough off I can do these and some other things to finish out my hall and snag whatever benefits that gets me in part 2.

travathian on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    I really enjoy GW, and am very glad that Nightfall introduced heroes because PUGs are terrible and too many clans only about GvG and not about going out and exploring and doing shit. The only things I haven't completed yet are some of the EotN dungeons, two of the Titan quests, and the Sorrow's Furnace stuff. And thankfully GW2 is far enough off I can do these and some other things to finish out my hall and snag whatever benefits that gets me in part 2.

I wonder why guilds would only be about guild battles (GvG)? I mean, it isn't like the game is called Guild Wars. :P I hope they actually focus on their PvP this time. I am doubtful, but I still have high hopes for GW2.

Since the thread got a bump, has anyone heard anything new?

Shens on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    I hope they actually focus on their PvP this time. I am doubtful, but I still have high hopes for GW2.

What?

GW was completely PvP-focused by the time Factions came out. What with running tournaments for thousands of dollars in prize money, and constantly rebalancing in order to support PvP play, with very little attention given to PvE balance(just look at PvE skills for proof of that, although they do change up monster spawns to stop simple farms)

It sounds like they're doing even more PvP stuff with GW2, with the Mists as open PvP, as well as team-based GvG and probably arena-style matches like in GW1.

But I haven't heard any new information for a while. I just wish ANet would do beta events in the style of GW1 for GW2.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    travathian wrote: »

I wonder why guilds would only be about guild battles (GvG)? I mean, it isn't like the game is called Guild Wars. :P I hope they actually focus on their PvP this time. I am doubtful, but I still have high hopes for GW2.

GW2 will have two types of PvP. A new GvG, with even stats, skills, etc for everyone (in other words the e-sport side), and then the world vs world Mists PvP, which is more open, varied and larger in scale. To me this shows that they are approaching PvP with a solid design from the start. ANet seems to me like the kind of developer that learns well from their previous releases.

Edit: As for new info, they said there will be race/lore info later this year, and gameplay info early next year. So we do have a bit of a wait for the real core stuff, but not too long..

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I hope they actually focus on their PvP this time. I am doubtful, but I still have high hopes for GW2.

What?

GW was completely PvP-focused by the time Factions came out. What with running tournaments for thousands of dollars in prize money, and constantly rebalancing in order to support PvP play, with very little attention given to PvE balance(just look at PvE skills for proof of that, although they do change up monster spawns to stop simple farms)

It sounds like they're doing even more PvP stuff with GW2, with the Mists as open PvP, as well as team-based GvG and probably arena-style matches like in GW1.

But I haven't heard any new information for a while. I just wish ANet would do beta events in the style of GW1 for GW2.

All of the free updates were focused on PvE content. The only time we got new guild halls for PvP were from the pay-for expansions. Even then, we only got 4 additional halls per expansion. We only got an additional 2 (or was it 3?) random/team arena maps per expansion. Compare that to how much they created for the PvE side and it looks pretty pathetic.

Factions was a joke. In order to participate in the PvP, you had to go through all of the PvE content up to the point of entering the areas. They remedied it many months down the road with patches that allowed you to enter the two rep battles from Balth's temple.

They made many improvements to the game as time went on (reconnects, observer mode, build templates) that made PvP much better, but it is delusional to think the focused on PvP. They saw where their money was coming from and it wasn't from the PvP tournaments. (I had a lot of fun playing in the Wintersday tournament with my guild.) Did they even try another live event after Taipei? The majority of their player base was playing PvE content from the start.

Shens on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whatever happened to that one PvP-centric MMO that was trying to syphon off all the hardcore GW players? The fact that I can't remember the name doesn't bode well for it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.killtenrats.com/2009/10/07/gw2-rts/
    The World PvP Maps bear a resemblance to RTS-maps and give you a chance to play different roles. You can conquer stone mines, which will then deliver stone by caravan to your catapults, you can attack and cut off caravans of the enemy, you can operate as a scout and inform the rest of hostile movement, you can man watchtowers and defend, or you can just run up to a lost PvP’er and teach him a lesson. All these actions will earn you experience.

I'm still playing pretty much every night. I love it.

Edit: If you're trying to get a friend into the game, or haven't tried it yourself, you really can't beat Prophecies + EotN for 9.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832784003

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whatever happened to that one PvP-centric MMO that was trying to syphon off all the hardcore GW players? The fact that I can't remember the name doesn't bode well for it.

Fury or something? It was horrible. I remember the beta was horrible. I don't think I lasted longer than 2 hours.

Shens on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Fury or something? It was horrible. I remember the beta was horrible. I don't think I lasted longer than 2 hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(video_game)

Haha, yeah, that was it. Only lasted 10 months. I was in the beta as well, it was pretty terribad.

I do remember some of my friends talking how it'd be the next big PvP game though :lol:

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stuff

[sarcasm]Yeah, they only ever added in PvE content for free.

They never did anything like wire in a completely new system so that PvP players wouldn't even have to touch PvE in order to unlock skills, items, and armor, or something like, I dunno, put in a set of islands where PvP players could hang out without having to accidentally bump into dirty, dirty PvE players.

They never constantly upgraded and rebalanced PvP while leaving old PvE areas not associated with the newest expansion to basically rot, aside from occasionally making a new item to keep the farmers happy while ruining easy farm builds(not that there was a problem with that)

And they never made PvE content only accessible via skilled PvP play to claim the Hall of Heroes for your region.
    [/sarcasm]
    Oh, not to mention that PvP players didn't even have to buy the actual expansions in order to play on the new maps, and could pay a couple of bucks to unlock any and all skills introduced in any new expansion that came out.

The best PvE ever got was Sorrow's Furnace. The Domain of Anguish was supposed to have been included with Nightfall proper, and it's disgusting that it took them so damn long to implement. There were also the mini quest-packs that came out, but those were most definitely pay-to-play(and not really worth it.)

But really, you're complaining about a shortage of content? The entire PvP game was about the skills that were used, not the maps the games were played on. A simple rejiggering of skills or attributes resulted in complete metagame changes in Halls and GvG. I definitely never heard a lack of content being a complaint from any PvPer. After all, people are still using Prophecies Guild Halls and playing in the Hall of Heroes.

Nah, GW was always focused on PvP. They released a lot of good PvE things, but the heart of the game was the Hall of Heroes and GvG. The most obvious proof of that is the rebalance of the Necromancer. They had no minion cap limit for a year+, and then when the Minion Bomb became popular in halls, it got nerfed solid, and now each Necro can have 9-10 minions, tops. ANet certainly didn't listen to the PvE characters who complained about that one.

Sooo... yeah. On the topic of GW2, thanks for linking that article, Lyrae. Neat things!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    beta.lyrae wrote: »
    http://www.killtenrats.com/2009/10/07/gw2-rts/
    The World PvP Maps bear a resemblance to RTS-maps and give you a chance to play different roles. You can conquer stone mines, which will then deliver stone by caravan to your catapults, you can attack and cut off caravans of the enemy, you can operate as a scout and inform the rest of hostile movement, you can man watchtowers and defend, or you can just run up to a lost PvP’er and teach him a lesson. All these actions will earn you experience.

That sounds.. really cool. Ah, it is so nice to finally have at least a trickle of info about GW2.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Stuff

I am funny and snarky. (It makes me look cool)

:x

Shens on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mommy and Daddy are fighting again!

:cry:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I revise history to try and prove my point.

I am funny and snarky. (It makes me look cool)

:x

If you're going to blather on at least get your shit straight.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    New trailer, info and wallpapers up on guildwars2.com revolving around the 5 playable races. More importantly, there is a great deal of in-game footage mixed into the trailer. Download in HD for full effect.

The Races of Tyria

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png