As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] IC/OOC - Dungeon Delve - Surprise!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh...well, consider Elven Accuracy not used.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was planning on blowing my daily on my turn, yeah - I'll take your Adaptive Thingy. I'll post when I get home from work.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonna darts into the fray and harries the closest wolf with swipes and jabs of her blade, poking through its defenses as she bobs and weaves around it, maneuvering them both around the melee. Ceasing her quick-footed sidestepping, she jerks her hand back towards Maddgutt and inscribes her sigil upon his abdomen with a mindless flick of her wrist. Tightening her grip on her blade, she moves to swing hard at the wolf...

... and then she blinks out of sight, vanishing with a soft "ping" and leaving behind only a hovering point of blinding light. Seconds later, she rips out of the Feywild with a deafening peal of thunder and follows through with her swing, catching him off-guard with an attack that cuts to the bone of his arm.

Move: to C4

Standard: Luring Strike vs AC on W2: 1d20+10 21 1d8+1+3 (from Adaptive Stratagem) 9 radiant damage
    . Shift into B3 before the attack, and shift into C2 after the attack, pulling W2 into B3.

Minor: Aegis of Shielding on M.

ACTION POINT

Standard: Dimensional Thunder vs Fortitude on W2: 1d20+10+3 25. Teleport over to C0. 2d8+5+3 (from Adaptive Stratagem) 15 thunder/radiant damage
    . Maddgutt is taking 5 ongoing thunder damage (save ends).

I think I did that right. Jesus, what a confusing fucking power. I'm retraining that - it's cool, but not worth the headache.

Next Up: Dulran, Tiriara

interrobang on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually I think you do have that the wrong way round - the teleport line is before the hit line, so you should be teleporting first before the attack. Perhaps you could ret-con that to use your lure to pull W1 from B4 into C4 and then teleport to D3 to catch everybody in the burst for that ongoing thunder damage. Plus that way, everybody is in a nice burst for Dulran to break out his daily.

Consult with your friendly DM if confusing interpretations persist.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, unless I'm mistaken, the order of a power is reading from the top down. When I look it up in the compendium, it reads "Attack, Teleport, Hit, Effect" in that order. So, I would take the swing at W2, teleport an number of squares yada yada and THEN roll for damage.

See why I'm not a huge fan of it?

interrobang on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tiriara fires two arrows, fire in her eyes as she attempts to protect Sundamar. Unfortunately, her shots are simply not strong enough to put the wolf down.

Twin Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 22 1d10+1 2 1d20+9 14 1d10+1 10 1d6 4
    Ow.
    Elven Accuracy Reroll: 1d20+9 26
    16 damage against W2.

Next Up: Dulran

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dulran watches his allies fly into action, carefully timing his actions to take advantage of their movements. He shifts into his beast form, one very similar in shape to Sundamar, and with a roar he calls upon the primal spirits to aid his feline ally. As protective plates of hardened bark form over Sundamar's body, Dulran leaps into action, striking the bugbear across the face with his powerful claws. As his target stumbles backward Dulran strikes again, forcing the brute over the edge of the tower.

Minor: Wild Shape.
    Minor: Barkskin on Sundamar, giving him a +2 bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.
    Standard: Charge to E4, ending in a Savage Rend vs B: 1d20+8 27 1d8+5 13 Hit! 13 damage, and B slides to F3.
    Action Point: Savage Rend vs B: 1d20+9 21 1d8+5 6 Hit! 6 damage, and B slides to what would be G3. If he fails his save he's going down.

Denada on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bad Guys

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, got my map and notes up to date, unfortunately I wont be able to make a post until after work today. W2 is dead, BTW, since Sonna's weird Dim. Thunder hit it for 15, and Tiriara did it in.

Also, I was looking all through all my books for Dimensional Thunder, until I realized it's a DDI thing. :(

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait, W2 took the damage? I thought M took the 15 from Dim. Thunder.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Does he? I thought you attacked W2, he takes the damage, you teleport, and then M takes the ongoing. I don't have access to the source, would somebody post it?

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Daily Arcane, Teleportation, Thunder, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee weapon

Target: One creature

Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude

Effect: Teleport a number of squares equal to your Constitution modifier.

Hit: 2[W] + Intelligence modifier thunder damage.

Effect: Each enemy adjacent to you gains ongoing 5 thunder damage (save ends).

Like I was saying to sox up there, I think the order goes top-down. So it'd be Attack (roll against W2) -> Teleport (into the square adjacent to M) -> Hit (against M) -> Ongoing damage (against M). I think that's how it goes anyway...

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The PDF is available here: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drcact/20080926

There's no indenting on any of the attack/effect/hit/effect lines, so they're independent. W2 took the 15 damage, as the attack occurs before the teleport - M is taking ongoing 5 damage (save ends). It's an oddly listed power - you'd normally expect the hit line to be before the first effect line, but if the attack was meant to happen after the teleport, you'd expect it to say 'teleport x squares before the attack' like you see on the avenger's shift-about powers.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm fairly certain that attack just means what you roll, and effects always occur either before everything, or after everything, not in the middle (i.e., you can't have attack-->effect-->damage).

So the power goes: Teleport-->Attack-->damage rolls/ongoing damage.

It's really poor wording on the power; usually they specify if a teleport or move occurs before or after an attack, I have no idea why they haven't for this one. But my reading is that you teleport before everything else occurs, attack your target, and then cause ongoing damage.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    tl;dr version wizards of the coast fails at power wording again

Okay. That's fine. Not my intended effect, but at least I hit something!

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, thats a pretty massive fail on their part. I'll change it so the attack hits M, I suppose. Tack another reason on to why I'm not the biggest fan of DDI stuff. :P

Since Dragon Age: Origins took up a good part of my night, along with computer cleaning, I'll have an update up tomorrow morning.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If it's any consolation to you at all, kuhl, I'll be retraining that power out after this fight... Frost Backlash calls to me!

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Yeah, thats a pretty massive fail on their part. I'll change it so the attack hits M, I suppose. Tack another reason on to why I'm not the biggest fan of DDI stuff. :P

Since Dragon Age: Origins took up a good part of my night, along with computer cleaning, I'll have an update up tomorrow morning.

Ohmygodthisgameiseatingmytimesomeonepleasehelp

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    3clipse wrote: »

I wish i could help, but it is destroying me as well.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I am immune!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

I am immune!

Lucky. It's going to get even worse when I pick up Modern Warfare 2 today.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The bugbear nearly falls off the edge of the tower, but at the last second manages to grab onto the side, pulling himself back onto the ledge.

The assault on Maddgutt causes an abrupt end to his chanting, and the lighting from the clouds above starts to dissipate. Now surrounded by enemies, the wrinkled form of the goblin seems to recognize its impending doom. Yet another laugh echoes from its form, and then it shouts, "You may destroy this body, but I shall not be destroyed this easy, mortals!!" The voice is now so loud that those nearest him need to cover their ears. Upon uncovering their ears, Tanir, Eran, and Sonna find they can not hear anything. He then takes up his sword and takes a small hop down onto the arm of the throne. He takes a quick swing at Tanir, but his balance on the throne is not the best, and he misses. Gather his composure, he takes another swing, this time at Eran, and the sword finds his arm, drawing blood.

The remaining wolf moves around Sundamar, moving next to Dulran and Tiriara. It tries to clamp its jaws on Tiriara, but she manages to shake the wolf off before it gets a hold of her.

The bugbear leaps to his feat, regaining his bearings as he does so. Spotting Dulran right in front of him, he lets out a roar, staring right at the druid as he does so. He then takes his morningstar while the druid is focused on the wolf behind him and smashes it down on Dulran's head. The blow nearly knocks his unconscious, and he falls to the ground.

M
    Free: Taunt, Enemies within a burst 2 are deafened (Save Ends)
    Minor: Draw Sword
    Move: Shift B0->B1
    Standard: Attack Tanir (14 V. AC) MISS
    Spends an Action Point
    Attacks Eran (23 V. AC) HIT: 5 Damage
    Save Vs. Ongoing: 3 Fail

W1:
    Move: B4->C5, Provokes from Sundamar.
    Opportunity attack on W1!: 1d20+6 16 1d8+3 6
    W2 takes 6 Damage from Sundamar
    W2 attacks Tiriara (12 V. AC) MISS

B:
    Move: Stands
    Minor: Predatory Eye
    Standard: Skullthumper at Dulran (19 V. Fort) HIT
    Dulran takes 14 Damage, and is Knocked Prone and Dazed(Save Ends)

Map
    3-3.png

Status
    Tiriara
    HP: 31/31 AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/8

B
    HP: 57/76 AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 14

M
    HP: 57/110 AC: 18(21) Fort: 17(20) Ref: 15(18) Will: 16(19) | 5 Ongoing thunder, Gains 3 to all Defenses when Bloodied

W1
    HP: 32/38 AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 13

W2
    HP: 0/38 AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 13

GB
    HP: 0/25 AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 11

Tanir
    HP: 33/38 AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16 Surges: 5/8 | Deafened(Save Ends)

Eran
    HP: 18/33 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/7 | Deafened(Save Ends)

Dulran
    HP: 6/30 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 16 Surges: 3/8 | Prone, Dazed(Save Ends)

Sonna
    HP: 30/41 AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 6/11 | Deafened(Save Ends)

Sundamar
    HP: 13/30 AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 2/2 | Bloodied

Take note of Maddgutts defenses and Status.

UP NEXT: Sonna, Tanir, Tiriara, Eran, Dulran

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonna takes a step back and to the side, disengaging Maddgutt, and then turns to face Dulran in his predicament; she gestures with her free hand and the two of them both blink out of sight for a second or two, before reappearing in each other's place.

Taking advantage of the wolf and bugbear's confusion at their squishy target zapping halfway across the room, she whirls in a circle and connects with a pair of slashes, drawing blood on both foes and leaving blazing red sigils in the air above their heads.

Move: Shift into D1

Minor: Dimensional Warp on Dulran and Sonna; they swap places, leaving Dulran in D1 and Sonna in E4. Hopefully that'll get him out of the mess for a bit...

Standard: Sword of Sigils vs AC on B and W1: 2#1d20+10 29 27 1d8+5 8 and they are both marked by my partial Aegis; if either of them make an attack that does not include me as a target, I'll use my immediate interrupt to reduce that damage by 3.

UP NEXT: Tanir, Tiriara, Eran, Dulran

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir steps to the side and slashes at the goblin, opening another wound and readying himself to follow it. His ears continue to ring, however.

Since he moved away from me willingly, I get +6 damage this turn; forgot to add that to my roll on IC.
    Move: shift to A1
    Standard: Bond of Pursuit on M: 1d20+11,1d20+11=29,23 Hit!, 13+6=19 damage, and if he doesn't end his turn adjacent to me I can shift 5 squares closer to him as a free action.
    Save against deafened: failure

Next Up: Tiriara, Eran, Dulran

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Watching Dulran get struck down, shouts out "Fear not, we will take care of that beast". Ignoring the pathetic slash from Madgutt, Eran turns angrily to the bugbear and walks purposefully over to stand directly under his chin. Looking up the the towering brute, Eran attempts to shove his enemy over the edge. Failing that, he brings up his longsword and releases a devastating blow, leaving the bugbear open to further attacks from Sonna.

Minor: Inspiring Word on Dulran: Inspiring Word: 1d6+4 5 - spend a surge and gain surge + 5HP.
    Move to E3 (provoking OA from Madgutt)
    Standard: Bull rush vs Bugbear: 1d20+4 10 bah.
    Action Point: Warlord's Favor vs Bugbear: 1d20+9 21 2d8+4 13 - Sonna gets a +5 to all attack rolls against the bugbear.
    Saving vs. Deafened: 1d20 16 - saved.

Oh, and this magic circle I'm standing in - does that do anything for me? Can anybody that doesn't use their minor action use it to do an arcana check on this thing?

Sonna forgot to save vs. deafened - also sonna, I'll be commander's striking you against the bugbear next turn, so don't go moving away before I get to move.

Bah, really wanted that bullrush to work.

Next Up: Tiriara, Dulran

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oop, my bad.

1d20=13

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tiriara takes a step back, burying two arrows deep into the bugbear's side and almost toppling it.

Move: Shift to D7.
    Standard: Two-Fanged Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 29 1d10+5 11 1d20+9 20 1d10+5 15 against B for...32 damage.

Next Up: Dulran

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arcana Result!
    You think that if you were bloodied, it might help you regain some hit points! Possibly in the +2 per round range.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dulran returns to his normal shape, then extends his totem toward the bugbear. "You're done, brute." A bolt of lightning punctuates his words, striking his target with deadly force.

Minor: Wild Shape back to normal.
    Standard: Storm Spike vs B: 1d20+7 19 1d8+6 7 Hit! B is dead.
    Move: Shift to E2.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bad Guys!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Denada, you start your turn Prone and Dazed... A little bit too much going on in there unfortunately.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Denada, you start your turn Prone and Dazed... A little bit too much going on in there unfortunately.

Crap, forgot about that. Ignore the attack then, I'll just wild shape back to normal and shift to E2 (all one action). There's nothing else I can do while prone and dazed in kitty form.

Save vs. Dazed: 1d20 1

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    OA: 14 V. AC MISS

M: Attacks Tanir: 16 V. AC, MISS
    Shifts: B1->C2
    Saves V. Ongoing(3) Fail

W1: Attacks Sonna: 25 V. AC, Hit, 6 Damage, and Knocked prone

B: Attacks Sonna: 23 V. AC, hit 11 Damage
    Shifts: F3->F2

Map
    3-4-1.png

Tiriara
    HP: 31/31 AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/8

B
    HP: 4/76 AC: 18 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 14 |Bloodied

M
    HP: 33/110 AC: 18(21) Fort: 17(20) Ref: 15(18) Will: 16(19) | Bloodied, 5 Ongoing thunder, Gains 3 to all Defenses when Bloodied, Regen 2

W1
    HP: 24/38 AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 13

W2
    HP: 0/38 AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 13

GB
    HP: 0/25 AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 11

Tanir
    HP: 33/38 AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16 Surges: 5/8 | Deafened(Save Ends)

Eran
    HP: 18/33 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 2/7

Dulran
    HP: 18/30 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 16 Surges: 2/8 | Prone, Dazed(Save Ends)

Sonna
    HP: 13/41 AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 6/11 | Bloodied, Prone

Sundamar
    HP: 13/30 AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 2/2 | Bloodied

UP NEXT: Sonna, Tanir, Eran, Dulran, Tiriara

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As a free action, I shift to B2.

Someone wanna roll up and give me/themselves CA before I/they attack?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm in D7 and can we get a map with the labels turned back on? Thanks.
    Edit: Oh, and I'm shifting Sundamar into D3 to get him CA.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Map updated with token names and Tanir's shift from his action.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hiiiii

i'm tiriara and i have the biggest. nose. piercing. ever.

want some stoli? *giggle*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eran sees Sonna go down and shouts out in anger. "For that, only your death can answer". Sonna takes heart in his action as he slashes open the Bugbear's throat and steps behind Madgutt, ready to bring this battle to a close.

Minor: Inspiring Word: 1d6+4 9 on Sonna - she's now on 32HP.
    Standard: Wolf Pack Tactics vs AC on Bugbear: 1d20+9 27 1d8+4 8 Bugbear is Dead. Ummm... Dulran? can shift as a free action if he wants to.
    Move: Shift to D3

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir steps behind the goblin and slashes him with his sword, leaving it wavering on its last legs.

I get +6 damage until EOMNT because he moved away from me
    Move: Shift to B1
    Standard: Bond of Pursuit on Madgutt: 1d20+11,1d20+11=22,27 Hit!, 16 damage. If he moves I can shift up to 5 squares closer to him as a free action.

Sonna, Dulran, Tiriara

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dulran tries desperately to spur on their foe's defeat, but does so in vain.

Standard: Storm Spike vs M: 1d20+7 13 1d8+6 13 Miss!
    Saving Throw: vs. dazed and prone: 1d20 2 oh come on

Denada on