As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darksiders] = Zelda + DMC + GoW + Panzer Dragoon + SotC + Portal.

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    What the fuck. Between this and Dante's Inferno it seems the horrors of the 90's are all coming back.

OH FUCK YEAH! HE'S SO X-TREME! CHECK OUT HIS BADASS HORSE ON FIRE. ALSO CHAINS! AWWWW SHIT!

Todd Mcfarlane has a lot to answer for.

Well, umm, it's a game about one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

You know, the four guys who show up to end the world?

They were kind of the definition of "extreme" long before Mcfarlane's shit existed.

Or if you prefer you could say they're the epitome of "metal". Perhaps even "fucking metal".

Thank you. Todd McFarlane didn't invent hell, you know.

No you missed how he completely proved me wrong by saying the bible wasn't illustrated by McFarlane.

Or something.

Of course that style of over the top "grimness" existed long before McFarlane hit it big and reminds me more of fantasy posters or metal album covers from the 70s/80s but no I guess it was all McFarlane with a time machine.
    This stuff looks more reminiscent of McFarlane than of the equivalent 70s/80s stuff, which actually looked a lot better.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To me it looks like 70s/80s stuff with less I guess "dirt" would be the best way to describe it. More use of colors as opposed to just gray/black/brown which I actually like quite a bit better.

I suppose a debate about fantasy art from the 70s/80s would be kind of getting off topic a bit though so, um...

How about that Darksiders game? I hear it's like Metalocalypse meets Zelda or something.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    yanyanyanyan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been pretty excited about this game since playing it at PAX and watching the developer walkthroughs.
    DMC/GoW combat + Zelda style exploration + Panzer Dragoon shooting segment(s?) + Revelations comic-book-style = Yes please :)
    One thing I'm worried about is how much the game will "borrow" from other games compared to how much original content they have. It might suck if all of the dungeon items are straight copies of Zelda items (my boomerang locks multiple baddies! bombs grow out of the ground! iron boots make me walk in water!) but so far I am cautiously optimistic.

yanyan on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm interested in this game, if not rabidly. Gameplay is my foremost concern in games, and I haven't gotten a good hacking or slashing in since I played God of War 2 many moons ago.

As much as art is basically all we've had a taste of, I don't know that I can bring myself to care about it more than the fact that everyone here who played it at PAX says it was fun.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't suppose anybody knows what format it's being released on?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PS3 & 360.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nuts to that, then.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A fairly new preview of the 360 build, though it does spoil some weapons and hints at some things toward the end. The weapon spoilers really aren't anything new to people who have played a Zelda game before in their life, though.

And it is certainly looking Zelda-y. I'm oddly interested in this game, even though the art style makes me wince sometimes. I was actually thinking the entire time that I was playing Brutal Legend that I wanted that game to be what this game looks like it's turning out to be: a heavy metal God of War and Zelda mashup. The overworld and characters of that game paired with the gameplay of this would have been heaven. The preview voiceover also name-drops Metroid, which always makes my ears perk up.

This will most certainly get lost in the post-holiday shuffle, but I have no problems picking this up for cheap off Goozex a month or so from release. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't suppose you have an alternate video link, that one isn't working for me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They are doing some television sponsorship stuff in the uk at the moment, I had clean forgotten about the game until then.

Looking forward to picking it up on the cheap due to all the big name competition that is going to kill it. Just need to make sure I don' wait to long in case it becomes a sleeper hit that's impossible to find anywhere.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's really unfair: I have to choose between this or Bayonetta, and Bayonetta has already won.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    It's really unfair: I have to choose between this or Bayonetta, and Bayonetta has already won.

Think of the poor folks on PS3 who have to throw God Of War into the mix!

Also I'm not sure if anyone is considering getting that Dante's Inferno game.

Just watched some videos for darksiders on their website and watching footage of Mark Hamil recording for the watcher has really freaked me out... very scary man!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I keep seeing this game advertised online but didn't really know what it was. Sounds interesting, but not an immediate buy.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I was actually thinking the entire time that I was playing Brutal Legend that I wanted that game to be what this game looks like it's turning out to be: a heavy metal God of War and Zelda mashup. The overworld and characters of that game paired with the gameplay of this would have been heaven.

Me too, brother.

Me too. :(

Also, Adda, what? God of War III doesn't drop till March. If you can't muster up another $60 in two months after this (or Bayonetta) then a new game probably isn't your biggest concern at the moment.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I was actually thinking the entire time that I was playing Brutal Legend that I wanted that game to be what this game looks like it's turning out to be: a heavy metal God of War and Zelda mashup. The overworld and characters of that game paired with the gameplay of this would have been heaven.

Me too, brother.

Me too. :(

Also, Adda, what? God of War III doesn't drop till March. If you can't muster up another $60 in two months after this (or Bayonetta) then a new game probably isn't your biggest concern at the moment.

Yeah I found that out a little later that day. I played demo's of all the games I mentioned except for Darksiders at an expo last week so I didn't expect God of War III to drop so far away.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The girl you need to save in the game is named Melda.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The girl you need to save in the game is named Melda.

You're thinking of 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I was just at GameStop getting a game and saw an ad for this on the front counter. 10 out of 10 from Play Magazine.

Is Play generally a respectable review source?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Grew some balls?" Link is all about Courage, he already has balls. :evil:
    I agree. What the f was that suppose to mean?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Link can't even grow a beard

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I was just at GameStop getting a game and saw an ad for this on the front counter. 10 out of 10 from Play Magazine.

Is Play generally a respectable review source?

Play are free and easy as far as I am aware.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Link isn't so much courageous as stupid

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This is a sad Truth.

Also Joe Mad sucks. He's like everything that's wrong with 90's comics and they still let him draw things.

Deplorable.

The game itself looks promising just ugly as hell for no good reason.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This is a sad Truth.

Also Joe Mad sucks. He's like everything that's wrong with 90's comics and they still let him draw things.
    Surely that'd be Rob Liefield?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    See, I actually dig the art style simply because it reminds me of a terrible '90s comic.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

This is a sad Truth.

Every other comic artist pales in badness to Rob Liefeld

Not just because he sucks, but because he made millions of dollars by sucking

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Depending on further reviews/information I'm actually more inclined to pick this up than Bayonetta as I'd rather the semi-open worldy affair to Bayonetta's corridor running I saw from the demo.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

This is a sad Truth.

No Rob is on a different level. He represents every bad stereotype of the comic book genre. Bad art absurd stories inhuman proportions etc.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    See this game looks badass but if it plays like Zelda then I'll pass. I wanted to love Okami so badly but it kept reminding me of OoT and Wind Waker and ugh.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    See this game looks badass but if it plays like Zelda then I'll pass. I wanted to love Okami so badly but it kept reminding me of OoT and Wind Waker and ugh.
    No, no, you have it reversed. The game looks kinda generic but it plays like Zelda and awesome.

Well, maybe. Part of the greatness of Zelda for me is the charm of the world, which this game seems to be...lacking.

Is there going to be a demo?

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It doesn't play anything like Zelda, from what I've seen. It plays like God of War/Devil May Cry, but it's structured like Zelda. A huge overworld with most of it blocked off to you until you complete a certain dungeon and unlock a new tool or ability which grants you entry to previously-inaccessible areas.

I've seen a lot of media for the game, and right now my only real concern is length. If it's 6-12 hours I'll be pretty disappointed. I'm hoping for 20-30.

Edit:
    Graviija wrote: »
    Is there going to be a demo?

From what I've heard, yes - but I don't think there's been an official word.

Chance on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh. Well I think I've been slightly misinterpreting the game, then. But actually, a Zelda-structured DMC would be pretty incredible, if done right.

I'll definitely try it.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Because those games were hated and abhorred by everyone?

King Riptor on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No, because I hate and abhor them. I can't bring myself to play another Zelda game or anything that has the same gameplay.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Im really temped to pick this one up when its released, Zelda with a somewhat deeper battle system? that sounds really awesome. But i cant help but being somewhat put of some of the names ive seen til now, i mean, Chaoseater? who the hell over the age of 12 though that was a cool name to give to a sword:?

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In this game, the four horsemen are actually just giant adolescents gifted with superhuman powers. The names make more sense when you discover that plot twist.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, I hadn't been paying any attention to this whatsoever, but I just checked the walkthrough in the OP.

Huh.

Consider my buttons to have been pushed.

Monger on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I preordered this last night. Maybe it'll be good. If not, I'll just pass that on to BBC2.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I preordered this last night. Maybe it'll be good. If not, I'll just pass that on to BBC2.

Yeah I can't say 100% that this is worth a day-one purchase, but I'll definitely be eying up reviews in the week ahead of its release. The reviews would have to be uniformly piss-poor to dissuade me, though.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I think I'm going to pass over Bayonetta for the moment and set my sights on this.

UnbreakableVow on