Options

The Last Day of the [STEAM] Sale - Disappointing

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guibs wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    To be fair: DX10 is a bit of an odd case. Usually, system requirements don't tell you much that you couldn't have guessed by eyeballing some screenshots. And they tend to be lying anyhow.

I believe the game isn't optimized that much. It's DX10 yet the graphics aren't that amazing yet it runs not so great. I run crysis better then SH in DX10 on my computer. In case some wonder my specs:

Q9650 (3.00 ghz quad core)
    4GB ram
    Nvidia GTX 280
    Windows 7 32bits

Really? I find the game runs smooth as silk with everything maxxed while Crysis still gives me framerate issues (it's still very playable and looks good, it's just some stuttering issues occasionally).

my specs:
    E6600 (core 2 duo, I don't know the exact speed)
    ATI HD4780
    4 gigs of RAM
    Win 7 x64

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Keep in mind the pedigree of the developer. Before Shattered Horizons, they made graphics benchmarks specifically designed to crush your system in horrific ways. Speed isn't as important to them versus exploiting featuresets and gobs of fragment shaders.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    I don't buy anything on Steam until I've looked at the game's page and read at least the first page of Steam forums for that game.

This times a million.

Drake on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I don't buy anything on Steam until I've looked at the game's page and read at least the first page of Steam forums for that game.

This times a million.

Which is why I'm considering getting Evil Genius from GoG instead of Steam. It looks like there's mixed opinions on whether or not the game is actually patched to the latest version and there doesn't seem to be a good way to apply the official patch. GoG is patched for sure and usually way easier to patch/mod anyway since they give you a regular installer. But its only $2 on steam.. (vs $7)

krylon666 on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jade Empire runs fine for me, but I took an immediate disliking to the combat.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This times a million.

I bought Battlefront 2.

Read the forums a ton after that.

IT WANTS A MICROPHONE PLUGGED IN FOR SOME REASON TO RUN!!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    krylon666 wrote: »

This times a million.

Which is why I'm considering getting Evil Genius from GoG instead of Steam. It looks like there's mixed opinions on whether or not the game is actually patched to the latest version and there doesn't seem to be a good way to apply the official patch. GoG is patched for sure and usually way easier to patch/mod anyway since they give you a regular installer. But its only $2 on steam.. (vs $7)

GoG is having a sale too, you know :)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's fucking hard. The enemies take forever to kill, but I can die in like 3 seconds. I can't even block between hits, so if I get caught in a combo that is often death.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    krylon666 wrote: »

This times a million.

GoG is having a sale too, you know :)

Holy crap! Freespace 2 for $3.89? Not that I'd ever part with my original, big-box disc version, but ho-lee shit you now have no excuse to not buy that game! I remember when a complete copy of FS 2 was selling for over $75 on ebay!

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's fucking hard. The enemies take forever to kill, but I can die in like 3 seconds. I can't even block between hits, so if I get caught in a combo that is often death.

That is the opposite of my experience.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember when I played it for the Xbox, I picked the fast chick and the fast fighting style, and the game was a cakewalk.

I tore every enemy up like nobody's business. I was pretty much a walking salad shooter.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, not to spam the same message, but someone suggest I repost this in this thread.

I bought Bioshock the other day when Steam ran out of Prey licenses for $5, and I'll be damned if I can get the thing to work. I don't even know where to begin trouble shooting this, as I'm pretty new all around to steam. I'm running Windows 7, and when I start the thing, I get the splash screen for a second, followed by an error message saying "Bioshock has stopped working" and it crashes. Thats it... it never even makes to the menus!

I have an AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.4 ghz, 4 gb DDR2 ram, and an nvidia geforce 8800 GT. Direct X 10 is installed and I have the most up to date video card drivers.

I'm completely stumped. I don't know where to begin. Any advice?

EDIT: Sweet, king'd

Welcome to bioshock on the pc. Enjoy your stay where an emergency patch a few months after release that didnt fix the issue fixed the issue.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

That is the opposite of my experience.

Maybe I'm playing wrong, but enemies with weapons rape me. I'm level 3 or 4 and have a Body of 9 or 10, but I still can't take hits. I don't block enough, I guess.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You're supposed to roll a lot.

Hoz on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping for something epically awesome tomorrow/today. But I don't what it could be.

Egos on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    I'm hoping for something epically awesome tomorrow/today. But I don't what it could be.

Valve complete pack for 5.99

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping to see Red Alert 3 on sale or as part of a bundle with the expansion. RA3 is the only game in the C&C franchise that I don't own.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Valve complete pack for 5.99

I'd be pretty annoyed, I mean what kind of person doesn't own most or all of the Valve complete pack already? Crazy people? Why should THEY get a sale tailor-made for their craziness?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has there been any instances yet where a game goes on sale, and then at a later date it's even cheaper during this whole sale month thing?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

I'm trying to minimize on that right now. When I last played it that's all I did and it wasn't fun. Seeing if maybe this will change it up a bit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally got around to purchasing Deus Ex & Braid. I've never played Deus Ex before, so I hope it lives up to the hype.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olorin wrote: »
    Does anyone here have an opinion on Heroes of Might and Magic V or Spellforce 2? Both these games have caught my eye, but I've heard very little about them. Any opinions or gameplay descriptions?

Thanks.

So I guess no one has played either of these. :(

I guess I'll just have to pick them up and see for myself. D:

Maratastik on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm hoping to see Red Alert 3 on sale or as part of a bundle with the expansion. RA3 is the only game in the C&C franchise that I don't own.

I mentioned this a few pages back. A friend gifted me a Steam copy of RA 3 a few days ago. I still haven't been able to validate my copy for multi player. It seems to be a pretty wide spread problem for the Steam version. The problem seems to be on EA's end with their validation process or the keys they gave to Steam or something. Whatever. Their line is "we are working on it."

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079104

Drake on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Civ 4 is hard. Or maybe I'm just terrible at it.
    Either way, I get my ass kicked, and everyone complains that my cities are too crowded.
    Bah.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've never played Deus Ex before, so I hope it lives up to the hype.

If you keep in mind the time that it was released, as well as the nostalgic factor that comes through whenever someone posts about it, you should be fine.

It really is an awesome game though. Portions of it's concept have been done better since, and parts of it do feel sort of clunky compared to some story based shooters today, but the story is cool, the weapons are cool, and the ability to decide how you'd like to play the level (guns blazing like Rambo or stealth ninja-ing like Sam Fisher, or anything in between) is pretty awesome.

The beginning might throw you off since your dude will suck until you boost his stats/skills a little bit though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Civ4 taught me I'd be a horrible leader.

"City's too crowded eh? Well, good, I thought that library was building a bit too slowly. BRING OUT THE SLAVE WHIPS!"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Considering getting Crysis.
    I hear it's as if Michael Bay made a game

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Does anyone here have an opinion on Heroes of Might and Magic V or Spellforce 2? Both these games have caught my eye, but I've heard very little about them. Any opinions or gameplay descriptions?

Thanks.

So I guess no one has played either of these. :(

I guess I'll just have to pick them up and see for myself. D:

Just get the last HoMM expansion, you can unlock the other campaigns with it.

And yes, everyone should get Crysis.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, not to spam the same message, but someone suggest I repost this in this thread.

I bought Bioshock the other day when Steam ran out of Prey licenses for $5, and I'll be damned if I can get the thing to work. I don't even know where to begin trouble shooting this, as I'm pretty new all around to steam. I'm running Windows 7, and when I start the thing, I get the splash screen for a second, followed by an error message saying "Bioshock has stopped working" and it crashes. Thats it... it never even makes to the menus!

I have an AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.4 ghz, 4 gb DDR2 ram, and an nvidia geforce 8800 GT. Direct X 10 is installed and I have the most up to date video card drivers.

I'm completely stumped. I don't know where to begin. Any advice?

EDIT: Sweet, king'd

Like others have already mentioned, try forcing DX9 by adding "-dx9" to the launch options. Also, if you have a nVidia card and experience mouse lag, then go to the nVidia control panel, add a profile for Bioshock (if you don't already have one), select "Maximum pre-rendered frames" and set that to 0.

That made the game (very) playable for me, even though my system is theoretically powerful enough to eat Bioshocks for snacks.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sounds like it would be a insult, but considering the FPS medium its not.

Egos on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shattered Horizon is pretty fun.

the 3d space enviroment is pretty damn natural and easy to get into, for me at least.

Only problem is it chugs bad. Takes a long time to load a level, and when you die and move to a respawn, it chugs hard as it renders the sudden new area. sometimes long enough to drift into micrometeoroids or end up stabbed by an enemy

during your life it plays pretty smooth, though.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

I'm trying to minimize on that right now. When I last played it that's all I did and it wasn't fun. Seeing if maybe this will change it up a bit.

It was all about leaping over their heads repeatedly when I played it.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I mean I've never played the game, I'm just summarizing the experience from what others have told me.
    "They made a great engine, but forgot to package the game."

It is at a pretty good price though...

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I mean I've never played the game, I'm just summarizing the experience from what others have told me.

The gameplay is an order of magnitude better than the other 'big' games that came out that year. Read: Bioshock and MW1

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not quite sure I'd go that far, but it is indeed a fun game to play. The sandbox parts are the best though. Once it moves away from that dynamic and turns into your standard "mow shit down" FPS it starts to lose its luster. Toying with the Koreans is a load of fun, though. It reminds me of when I'd go invis/invuln/all guns and ammo in Goldeneye and screw around with the enemies.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

The gameplay is an order of magnitude better than the other 'big' games that came out that year. Read: Bioshock and MW1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQTCeobZlg

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

It has characters named Joker and Psycho, that automatically deducts 3 points.
    Also you never really feel like you are in a super suit, especially on the higher difficulties where the enemies not wearing armor can take more bullets than you you can before dying.

Morkath on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

It has characters named Joker and Psycho, that automatically deducts 3 points.
    Also you never really feel like you are in a super suit, especially on the higher difficulties where the enemies not wearing armor can take more bullets than you you can before dying.

That's why I play on Normal ;)

Antithesis on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm sure that any balance issues the game has can be modded out.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hopefully there will be a mod to make Shattered Horizon playable on non-space age computers.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.