Options

The Last Day of the [STEAM] Sale - Disappointing

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does anyone here have an opinion on Heroes of Might and Magic V or Spellforce 2? Both these games have caught my eye, but I've heard very little about them. Any opinions or gameplay descriptions?

Thanks.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Joril wrote: »
    Is there anything that makes Jade Empire stand out? I'm a huge Bioware fan (I guess that's my reason right there), but JE hasn't really had the glowing reactions other Bioware games have had.

Jade Empire stands out:
    - Nathan Fillion and John Cleese voice a couple characters
    - Multiple combat styles
    - Interesting story (I thought)
    - Nifty shooter segments
    - Interesting companions
    - It's only $3.75!

You forgot one of the best parts
    -
    threesome with two chicks after a hilariously awkward conversation

Sanders on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For what it's worth, I can't stand most point'n'click games but I still bought - and adored - Machinarium solely for the phenomenal art and sound design (then went and got Samorost 2 as well). I loved the score so much I bought the soundtrack and downloaded the free bonus EP, too.

EDIT: I loved Trine until the very last level, which was the kind of staggeringly idiotic difficulty spike that killed my will to live and about the only time I've ever uninstalled a game (from my PS3) in disgust. It'd take quite a bit for me to buy anything from them again, but if you're just better at games than me (probably not that hard) you might want to look into it.

Trine is awesome, but I just hit the last level and I fully agree with your statement on the last level. I just got so frustrated I had to take a breather. But the level design is fantastic and the whole three characters thing is awesome. Nothing like making a plank with the wizard, jumping onto the plank while falling, and then switching to the thief for a daring mid air grapple. It is definately worth the 8 dollars though.

I had no problems with the last level. Died a few times but that was it. I actually felt it was a decent way to end the game instead of going for a boss fight or something.

I think part of the problem is that it was primarily designed as a PC game, so in terms of level design that level wasn't really all that bad if you had a mouse to do the aiming and conjuring and stuff. With a gamepad I'm guessing it might've been a bit more complicated.

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And it has a tower of hanoi.

Edit: Jade Empire that is.

LewieP on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Haha, while trying to install Armored Princess, I got a dialog box saying that Steam servers are too busy.

Oh well, I'll trying again when I come back home.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »
    is Burnout paradise a good game on PC? I don't have a steering wheel, so it's keyboard control. Still worth it?

Welp, it plays mighty fine on a xbox360 controlller...
    übergeek wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm so glad I got DiRT2 for free, because it appears to cheat like most racing games.

Yeah, it sucks. I'll do the sacrifice of taking that key out of your hands. For our friendship. Gimme. Key.

Well I already used it. My problem was a one on one racing Challenge from Dave Miira. I ended up shadowing him well enough to get alongside his car, then I put him into a wall. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought Jade Empire, thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    And it has a tower of hanoi.

Edit: Jade Empire that is.

Frankly what doesn't have one anymore? I'm surprised my car doesn't start via a tower of Hanoi puzzle. It would keep a few idiots off the street.

Unless it's a large scale Tower of Hanoi where in order to move every piece you have to solve a smaller tower of Hanoi it's not really that big a deal.

They're pretty dull puzzles but pretty formulaic in the end

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Isn't that puzzle in damn near every post BG2 bioware rpg? I know KOTOR JE ME and DA:O all have em.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty certain that they have confirmed that there won't be one in ME2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Isn't that puzzle in damn near every post BG2 bioware rpg? I know KOTOR JE ME and DA:O all have em.

It's a requirement for all Bioware games.

"BioWare's vision is to deliver the best story-driven games in the world....and Tower of Hanoi puzzles"

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

"BioWare's vision is to deliver the best story-driven games in the world....and Tower of Hanoi puzzles"

Where was the Tower of Hanoi puzzle in Mass Effect?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Where was the Tower of Hanoi puzzle in Mass Effect?

I don't remember what the planet it was on was called, but there was one.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Some reactor or AI you had to shut down on the Icey planet...

Eventually Bioware will create a game located in three giant multi-tiered tower structures in the land of or owned by the company of hanoi

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty certain that they have confirmed that there won't be one in ME2.

I guess they'll use the "fill the middle cup using a 3 and 5 volume cup" instead.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember cheating past a lot of things with my high persuasion score, could I have skipped it that way? I really suck at Tower of Hanoi puzzles so I think I would remember :?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    I remember cheating past a lot of things with my high persuasion score, could I have skipped it that way? I really suck at Tower of Hanoi puzzles so I think I would remember :?

You could just omni-gel that bitch if i remember right.

EDIT: Sorry for the wording but I imagine the use of omni-gel like a sensual massage for all machines and footlockers

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dragon Age does not have a Tower of Hanoi.

There is an easter egg though. If you go back to Haven after getting Andraste's Ashes, there is a graveyard behind one of the buildings. One of the graves says something like "T. O. Hanoi, you will not be missed."

grrarg on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If I have a retail copy of Company of Heroes how would Tales of Valor work over steam? Also is it a good single player expansion (can't really play multi over satellite)?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If I have a retail copy of Company of Heroes how would Tales of Valor work over steam? Also is it a good single player expansion (can't really play multi over satellite)?

It's a stand-alone expansion.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

everything i've heard about tales of valor is that if you buy it, buy it for the multi because the new singleplayer additions are horrible compared to the original and opposing fronts

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You activate your COH serial in ToV and get access to a bit more in multi. Problem is I'm not really sure how it'll work with the campaigns (think you won't get access to the COH campaign if you just pluck in your serial, only the ToV ones.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Come on steam support and reply so I can buy more games without worry about being double fucking charged urrghhff

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If I have a retail copy of Company of Heroes how would Tales of Valor work over steam?
    You can either play in retail or from Steam, you add the ToV key to your Relic Online account and then you can access everything from CoH you own from either Steam or where you previously installed CoH.
    I recommend not using the Steam version because whenever they push an update (which is rarely, though) Steam redownloads everything rather than patch it up.

Singleplayer wise the new additions are kinda fun, but oh so short. Very short.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Drovek wrote: »

You activate your COH serial in ToV and get access to a bit more in multi. Problem is I'm not really sure how it'll work with the campaigns (think you won't get access to the COH campaign if you just pluck in your serial, only the ToV ones.)

Assuming he has CoH patched up all the way already, he can just get the CD key from STEAM and add the product. The ToV campaign should have downloaded along with patch 2.5.

ToV only comes with 9 missions, all taking place on three maps in sets of three based on the new multiplayer game modes. The first two are really short but enjoyable, have yet to beat the last set of three. Worth $7.50 without multiplayer? Hard call.

Sanders on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Added to the OP.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Off-topic, but is the Wolverine Origins game available for purchase on any of the game services? I kind of want to play it, but there's no way I'm going to hunt down a physical copy.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Steam is ripping us off, Stormrise has been that price since day 1. I also noticed Universe At War is still also the same price as their "1 day only" price. Todays list has a lot of stinkers on it too =(

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought OFP Dragon Rising, Bioshock, STALKER, and Act of War Direct Action.

A lot of people probably haven't played Act of War. The straight dope is, Act of War is pretty much the best C&C style RTS ever made.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, Jade Empire is a go, but I'm still wondering about Mr.Robot.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    So, Jade Empire is a go, but I'm still wondering about Mr.Robot.

Metacritic says it has gotten good reviews and it is only 2 dollars so I just bought it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Steam is ripping us off, Stormrise has been that price since day 1. I also noticed Universe At War is still also the same price as their "1 day only" price. Todays list has a lot of stinkers on it too =(

Not an error.
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/3289/
    Universe at War: Earth Assault - 75% Off * For the duration of the Holiday Sale!

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

"Expandalone"

LewieP on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

"Expandalone"

Added to lexicon.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Several hours of play later I am now wondering why I never got into the Total War series in the first place. I messed around with Shogun a bit, but I think I got too hung up on not being that great at RTS games... did they not have the auto-resolve back then or was I just overthinking stuff?

Either way I think this is going to keep me going for a while. Christ, I'm even considering buying Rome as well, just for the hell of it.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I already own Jade Empire for Xbox, but it's not the special edition. I have a feeling I will be purchasing it when I get home. Also hoping for a discount on King's Bounty: The Legend to go along with my new copy of Armored Princess. Also, the Overlord Pack would be rad.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

Not an error.
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/3289/
    Universe at War: Earth Assault - 75% Off * For the duration of the Holiday Sale!

My post about "ripping off" was mostly sarcasm, hence the poorly placed sad face. Buuut, the point still stands that Stormrise has been on sale for that price the entire time. Would have been nice to have something that is 1 day only actually be on the 1 day only sale. But i'm not really complaining, the deals on Steam are awesome.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well I had not a lot of issue since the 9.99$ Torchlight deal a few weeks ago to pass on most of Steam "deals" right now. Either the games don't interest me or I already own the games that are great on PC or Console.

there is a short list of games i'm hoping to see on sales, one of them is Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines which I read good things about but I won't pay full price for it. I know it's on sales at D2D but I'd rather get it from steam...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So weak. Bought Jade Empire today. On the plus side, I beat Trine today, and highly recommend it to everyone. Even if the last level takes the difficulty up a few notches, I beat it after trying it four times, taking an hour break, and then going back. For 8 dollars it is a steal.

Achilles Last Stand on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Despite never having used D2D before i've actually bought a few games off of them that they were offering as the same prices (or close to) steams one day sale prices because at least they put everything on sale at the start, for the same price, instead of dicking people around with this one day nonsense .

Like today
    "oh, tales of valor for 1 cent more than d2d's been offering it..guess i'll go buy it from d2d because fuck your one day bullshit steam"

not that i'm bitter :x

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
This discussion has been closed.