As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Soviet Phalla - Game Over: Capitalist Victory

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    Yeah what was the deal with El Jeffe and Ardor doing everything publicly together. I was really railing for El jeffe's death but I was also positive Ardor was a spy too. I got super demoralized after we wasted Ardor instead of Jeffe.

Before the game, Ardor and I agreed to work together and share strategies. Then I wound up being a capitalist. I told him I was a Soviet, but I also told him on more than one occasion that when I play these games I lie through my teeth to everyone. I still felt a little guilty about lying to him. :)

ANd for the record, my blow up at Eri really had nothing to do with me being a capitalist. She was a fucking bitch, and her condescension and superiority complex were threatening to ruin the game for other people, and it pissed me off. After I yelled at her publicly, I PMed her saying that I was sorry I had been so uncivil, but that her comments, whether intentionally or not, were coming across as very caustic and insulting. I suggested a truce. Surprisingly enough, she never responded.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't say I really approve of the Who's Online thing but I'm not going to say anymore since we prettymuch universally agree it won't be used ever again.

I've been curious since the night I died though how I got pinned. I'm guessing I was an unlucky victim of Who's Online, which would make me really unlucky given I only messaged Eri twice. My relatively withdrawn posting presence was probably a little suspicious too, but for my first Phalla I suppose I can be happy I didn't get bandwagoned on the first night :o.

I also learned putting all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea in these games. Lady Eri almost singlehandedly lost the game for the soviets in a variety of ways.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah what was the deal with El Jeffe and Ardor doing everything publicly together. I was really railing for El jeffe's death but I was also positive Ardor was a spy too. I got super demoralized after we wasted Ardor instead of Jeffe.

Before the game, Ardor and I agreed to work together and share strategies. Then I wound up being a capitalist. I told him I was a Soviet, but I also told him on more than one occasion that when I play these games I lie through my teeth to everyone. I still felt a little guilty about lying to him. :)

ANd for the record, my blow up at Eri really had nothing to do with me being a capitalist. She was a fucking bitch, and her condescension and superiority complex were threatening to ruin the game for other people, and it pissed me off. After I yelled at her publicly, I PMed her saying that I was sorry I had been so uncivil, but that her comments, whether intentionally or not, were coming across as very caustic and insulting. I suggested a truce. Surprisingly enough, she never responded.

This is pretty funny, I thought you were a cappy cause you faked your blowup, but you didn't fake your blowup... .but was a cappy anyways!

I guess I got lucky.

Serpent on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Yes, and two of them were rebels. As the politburo decreased in size, the number of people required for a majority decreased as well. So the two rebels were enough to be the majority.

I always thought that it was just 4 votes needed, and that it didn't change overtime. Owell.

There was a post in the Politburo thread that clearly stated that it was a majority based on the current number of members, but being dead I didn't point it out. Although I really, really wanted to.

The day after I died is when I became sure that ElJeffe was a capitalist. I'm not sure if I would have figured it out if I'd lived, though.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure people used "who's online" already back in Rishiri to prove that someone's being active on the forums without posting in the Phalla thread. Back then, it was used to hunt down the ninja/oni though. I know I watched the online status and posting frequency (compared to other PA threads) of players when trying to find spies in the Phalliad. This just happened to be the first game the monsters did the same (or admitted to doing it, in any case).

I guess my point is that while such tactics should be discouraged/forbidden in Phallas, this was nothing new and the Communists didn't lose this Phalla because of it.
    We lost this Phalla because Lady Eri played like a retard and too many people had blind faith in her.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I also learned putting all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea in these games. Lady Eri almost singlehandedly lost the game for the soviets in a variety of ways.

hmm, doesn't seem like it mattered to me. the network was undone by 'who was online when' behaviour i think. Neither lady eri nor devoutly apathetic contributed heavily to the demise of the network.

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    We lost this Phalla because Lady Eri played like a retard and too many people had blind faith in her.

How so? Her play did not contribute to the demise of the network and her strategies were sound.

edit: Note that I am anything but a 'blind' follower. Ask scosglen... I was VERY skeptical and questioning of her strategies once the network was formed (I was a step removed... eri had contact with scosglen and I had contact with scosglen).

Serpent on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Re: smasher

You had missed one or two things that were being said within a page of your post, which typically means you are paying enough attention to detail to not get staked, but only skimming the thread at best. I noticed a few people like that, but I was only right with you and shamus. Really though, this should finally destroy the expectations people seem to hold me to, without information, I'm no better than anyone else.

As for your method of killing the network? The main reason I didn't think it was something to get mad about, was because it's the first time, to my knowledge, that tactic was used. However, abusing the medium upon which we play the game is beyond the spirit of the game IMO.

Let's go back to the real life version. We would know that going off into the corner after making announcements like Lady Eri did would get us caught, so we'd have to think of some other way of communication which doesn't directly point out who's in the network. In this game, using the 'who's online' idea not only forces every single one of us to avoid pm's and/or use invisible mode for every single game hereafter, but it's not something most people would think of because it's not a game mechanic, it's a forum board mechanic.

The guy who came up with the idea (smasher) can get a medal for that as it was clever, but many of us might not agree as to what the medal represents.

All said and done, it was a fun game and the rebels played well. All future phalla's should mention the tactic used in this game though because there's no way to guard against it from the narrator point of view, regardless of whether or not you tell people not to do it.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    How so? Her play did not contribute to the demise of the network and her strategies were sound.

Were they? Was she actually confirmed as an innocent, like she said she would, after the first night? Did she not keep important information to herself, and did she not imply that she knew so much more than the ordinary Communist, that people took her orders at face value? Did she not leave the village in complete confusion after her sudden temper tantrum and departure? Did she not behave like a complete asshole, giving a huge amount of leverage to the capitalists? I'd like to point out that ElJeffe was the most vocal player to attack her because of that, regardless of his actual motives (which he outlined earlier). If I had been a capitalist, I'd have abused Eri's bitchy behavior for all it was worth.

In my opinion the Communists, myself included, failed because they put too much faith in the heroes of the previous Phalla: Lady Eri and Ardor. Lady Eri let us down, and ElJeffe was able to abuse Ardor's hero status by aligning with him in the beginning. We looked up to them too much, and only started playing the game after they were gone.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ardor had too much of a reputation, that since he wasn't winning the game off the bat that he must be a bad guy. It sucks cause for one, he was just a normal villager, and two, his two suscipisions when he was GS were both capitalists and was killed when he only killed one and the second one was forgotten.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In my opinion the Communists, myself included, failed because they put too much faith in the heroes of the previous Phalla: Lady Eri and Ardor. Lady Eri let us down, and ElJeffe was able to abuse Ardor's hero status by aligning with him in the beginning. We looked up to them too much, and only started playing the game after they were gone.

Was anyone really following Ardor? He got killed for being a total non entity. I don't think anyone single handedly messed up the game except for Smasher. Killing all of our specials destroyed us and left no way for anyone to build a network. We can't win without some sort of communal thing going on.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Was anyone really following Ardor? He got killed for being a total non entity. I don't think anyone single handedly messed up the game except for Smasher. Killing all of our specials destroyed us and left no way for anyone to build a network. We can't win without some sort of communal thing going on.

As far as I can tell, Ardor was killed because he didn't singlehandedly win the game on day one, like he pretty much did in the Phalliad. ElJeffe lived so long after that (despite the constantly voiced sucpicions) because he had been so strongly aligned with Ardor, and Ardor was proven innocent.

About this Phalla in general, I'd like to offer this piece of criticism: I didn't like the Politburo thing at all. I think splitting the villagers into an inner circle and the hoi polloi made the game less fun for the majority of us, especially in the beginning, and it geared the game in favor of the capas. I like the basic idea of a Council in Phalla games, but it should only consist of 1-3 players.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure how much of a difference having the network live a little longer would have made. jdarksun was an obvious target, Digger Dude died by the vote, and Spawnbroker never came forward to the network anyway. Lady Eri would have died at about the same time as she actually did (since we would have targeted her when she left GS) and very likely would have picked Technicality again to be the successor; In this scenario we would have looked harder for him and probably would have deduced his new role within a few nights, depending on his voting.

ElJeffe was on the first politburo* so we knew to take out thorgot and Elendil after they got seered.

The KGB are the only ones who definitely would have lived longer, but since (I think... I might be remembering incorrectly) we never actually attacked the current GS the impact of their deaths is questionable. They'd be a part of a 3, maybe 4 man network until we started picking them off; while they would have had some influence, it wouldn't have been the game-winner it has been in previous Phallas.

* I realized a couple nights ago that I've been misspelling this pretty much the entire game.

Smasher on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I honestly had a feeling the Soviets were screwed, but I was dead wrong about why. I suspected all the wrong people, so I guess I was better off as a corpse anyway. :P Well played, rebels. They really owned this game, Eri's involvement or not.
    (In a way, I guess she made it even easier on them.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ardor had too much of a reputation, that since he wasn't winning the game off the bat that he must be a bad guy. It sucks cause for one, he was just a normal villager, and two, his two suscipisions when he was GS were both capitalists and was killed when he only killed one and the second one was forgotten.
    As far as I can tell, Ardor was killed because he didn't singlehandedly win the game on day one, like he pretty much did in the Phalliad. ElJeffe lived so long after that (despite the constantly voiced sucpicions) because he had been so strongly aligned with Ardor, and Ardor was proven innocent.

Ardor wasn't killed because of his reputation. He and ElJeffe were the only two unconfirmed soviets from the first politburo (I knew I was a soviet), they were both acting suspiciously (during the first politburo Ardor kept insisting that we don't seer inside of it, he and ElJeffe were mirroring each other), and when it came down to it, it seemed like a better idea to off the guy who was going to be GS. I was working off of the assumption that the capitalists would have put one of their own on the politburo. Oh well.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You know, even with our razing of the network in short order, and even with what I think, all modesty aside, was some very solid play by the rebels, the game would've been extremely close, and we may well have lost, had it not been for a few lucky breaks. That may mean that the deck was stacked against the bad guys from the start, or it may mean that the communists did a lot better than they thought they did, but this really wasn't a one-sided rout until the very end.

As I think someone else mentioned, though, I think that the communists really came together and started to play well once the twin crutches of Eri and Ardor were taken away (especially the former). Once we staged our coup and took over the GS position and the Politburo at the end, it was very likely we were going to win, but until then it was anyone's game. I think this game sort of demonstrated that it's not necessary to have impenetrable networks in order to win. I think the game is a lot better without them, actually. Also, I really liked the council idea, because it gave lots of people the ability to feel like they were something special, instead of just those who were lucky enough to be so designated at the game's start.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

: (

Two things, though. On Eri, I'm not sure why I keep jumping to defend her, because her basically calling everybody morons did annoy me, but she's not even close to what lost the game for us. Basically all the failed network did was waste a voting record for the first day, which is of questionable value in the first place. I wasn't all that excited about the network in the first place, because as others have said, it wasn't going to be that big in any case, and wasn't going to grow.

I guess one thing...the other one doesn't really matter.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nobody has said spawnbroker for a while.

Spawnbroker.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, even with our razing of the network in short order, and even with what I think, all modesty aside, was some very solid play by the rebels, the game would've been extremely close, and we may well have lost, had it not been for a few lucky breaks. That may mean that the deck was stacked against the bad guys from the start, or it may mean that the communists did a lot better than they thought they did, but this really wasn't a one-sided rout until the very end.

As I think someone else mentioned, though, I think that the communists really came together and started to play well once the twin crutches of Eri and Ardor were taken away (especially the former). Once we staged our coup and took over the GS position and the Politburo at the end, it was very likely we were going to win, but until then it was anyone's game. I think this game sort of demonstrated that it's not necessary to have impenetrable networks in order to win. I think the game is a lot better without them, actually. Also, I really liked the council idea, because it gave lots of people the ability to feel like they were something special, instead of just those who were lucky enough to be so designated at the game's start.

I agree, I don't think the game was stacked in favor the rebels. The soviets were kind of fucked by a number of things, including Spawnbroker's inactivity, DA's lucky seering (of ElJeffe), and the somewhat shady forum stalking of the rebels (which led to them taking out both of our KGB).

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can suddenly much better understand why I was, or should have been, killed. And not just for the whole KGB thing, I said alot of things afterall, it was because I sent upwards of 30 pms a day to entirely random people. Imagine, trying to catch the other half of Lady Eri's pms when 3 other people are on trying to write a response to mine. =P

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To be honest that really didn't have much to do with it. We figured Lady Eri was going to try something tricky with the vote since you, Grundlterror, and CableCarrier were all tied or close to it. When she voted for CableCarrier at the last minute I had to make a snap call which of you and Grundl to kill in addition to Cable, and I picked you mostly for the KGB thing.

In hindsight though, that probably did make things easier for us later on.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What I found especially interesting was how quickly the soviets fell in behind the politburo's leadership, even though they had no authority whatsoever. I even recall someone saying "Well, we have a politburo for a reason", meaning that people should obey them, when really their only purpose was as specials.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of a difference having the network live a little longer would have made. jdarksun was an obvious target, Digger Dude died by the vote, and Spawnbroker never came forward to the network anyway.
    I still don't have any idea how we could have made the Old Hands useful. Without a Seering ability on the town's side, I didn't have anything to go on. I figured that revealing myself to a few people would put suspicion on them if I wound up dead, but for the most part I just got ignored.

I thought for sure that DA would have gotten lynched for publicly revealing my PM, but apparently not. There seems to be way too much carryover trust from Phalla to Phalla.

Actually old hands would have been the perfect network starters. You have 2 come forward vouching for each other and telling specials to talk to you. You send all those names to old hand 3 who nobody knows the name of. Boom spies kill off you 2 and now the 3rd member is not publicly known at all. Allowing person 3 to determine guilt or innocence and contact at their leisure. The spies would need to sacrifice at least 2 people in order to counter your claims.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Were they? Was she actually confirmed as an innocent, like she said she would, after the first night? Did she not keep important information to herself, and did she not imply that she knew so much more than the ordinary Communist, that people took her orders at face value? Did she not leave the village in complete confusion after her sudden temper tantrum and departure? Did she not behave like a complete asshole, giving a huge amount of leverage to the capitalists? I'd like to point out that ElJeffe was the most vocal player to attack her because of that, regardless of his actual motives (which he outlined earlier). If I had been a capitalist, I'd have abused Eri's bitchy behavior for all it was worth.

Whether she was confirmed or not had nothing to do with the 'loss' -- and yes, I decided after a few nights she was confirmed 'enough', moreso than DA (who I also had the opportunity to contact instead of eri, neither knew who i was until night 3 or whenever i died).

If she implied she knew more than others, it was because you read too much into her posts. I never got this from her at all beyond the normal 'im in a network' (which was true)

her departure had little effect on the game.

her assholish behaviour also had little effect on the game.

Regardless, these things didn't affect the demise of the network (the cappies did), and her strategies WERE sound (some of which were never made public).

Serpent on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still can't believe so few people picked up on this, and I also blame frandel for forwarding my pm around.
    me: 'Hey eljeffe is acting suspicious'
    frandel: 'I better tell el jeffe someone thinks he is a cappie, just in case he is a cappie, so the guy suspicious of him can get killed'
    me: 'damnit'

Get over it. I spent several days in a row arguing that lady eri's plan was a bad plan almost to the point of insanity. And then you send me a pm that states that El Jeffe thinks the plan is a bad plan, thus he must be a capitalist. Pick who you pm and what your arguements are more carefully next time (especially if your a goddamned special).

The funny thing was that after Ardor posted the pm in public and called you out I became convinced that both him and El Jeffe were capitalists.
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Well Frandel, I was innocent all along. Told you so.

You don't see me bitching at cj iwakura, besides tuxkamen also thought someone had sold him out.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GG?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was so sure I was right about frandel. :P My bad. All I had to go on were the people who seemed to be staying out of sight, and the real rebels were the ones right out in the open. Figures.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Regardless, these things didn't affect the demise of the network (the cappies did), and her strategies WERE sound (some of which were never made public).

What strategies of hers were never made public?

Regardless, I never doubted that she was clever. It's just that she was a raging cunt about it.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    GG?

Sorry about getting you killed. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still can't believe so few people picked up on this, and I also blame frandel for forwarding my pm around.
    me: 'Hey eljeffe is acting suspicious'
    frandel: 'I better tell el jeffe someone thinks he is a cappie, just in case he is a cappie, so the guy suspicious of him can get killed'
    me: 'damnit'

Get over it. I spent several days in a row arguing that lady eri's plan was a bad plan almost to the point of insanity. And then you send me a pm that states that El Jeffe thinks the plan is a bad plan, thus he must be a capitalist. Pick who you pm and what your arguements are more carefully next time (especially if your a goddamned special).

The funny thing was that after Ardor posted the pm in public and called you out I became convinced that both him and El Jeffe were capitalists.
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Well Frandel, I was innocent all along. Told you so.

You don't see me bitching at cj iwakura, besides tuxkamen also thought someone had sold him out.

If you read my pm again, the whole point of it was how out of character el jeffe was....

edit: correction, how out of character i THOUGHT he was. bah! ;)

Serpent on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    When is the next Normal Phalla?

I would like to join.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When is the next Normal Phalla?

I would like to join.

D&D's starts the 16th I think, ODaM's will start when someone feels like starting one I guess.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rygar is supposed to be doing the next one, but after he blew up about the rules clarifications I told him I'd be watching his own Phalla very carefully to see if it was as hard to run as this one, so he'll probably make it really complex to show me up.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2007
    Well you can blast me all you want ArrBeeBee, I was intending to host a pretty simple one with 48 people. You had some great mechanics, but this is my first Phalla and I would like to do the one that I prepared. If I am going to get hassaled for it being just plain vanilla, then perhaps we should see if someone else has something a bit more spicy prepared.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tux:

Might I ask how you chose us three to try to start a last-ditch network?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Also one thing, why did so many people keep on wanting me dead/were suscipous of me? Sure I was active but I was at least productive unlike a lot of people. (sure I got a lot of wrong suspects but at least one was right.)

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Also one thing, why did so many people keep on wanting me dead/were suscipous of me? Sure I was active but I was at least productive unlike a lot of people. (sure I got a lot of wrong suspects but at least one was right.)

Personally, I wanted you alive because everyone was suspicious of you. ;-)

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Personally, I wanted you alive because everyone was suspicious of you. ;-)

I figured as much, I was like "kill me gawd dammit I have family over this weekand, I can't continue playing!"

Also I think people are just jealous.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    Well you can blast me all you want ArrBeeBee, I was intending to host a pretty simple one with 48 people. You had some great mechanics, but this is my first Phalla and I would like to do the one that I prepared. If I am going to get hassaled for it being just plain vanilla, then perhaps we should see if someone else has something a bit more spicy prepared.

I'm not blasting you, I'm just saying, you were complaining about how the rules weren't entirely clear, so it seems like you should be able to handle a game as complex as this one better than I. A vanilla game is a hell of a lot easier to moderate.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Rygar wrote: »

I'm not blasting you, I'm just saying, you were complaining about how the rules weren't entirely clear, so it seems like you should be able to handle a game as complex as this one better than I. A vanilla game is a hell of a lot easier to moderate.

Ah, well thats a good point.

Unknown User on