Options

[STO] Open Beta is On! (you still need a key)

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's either worth it to you or it's not. I realize how dumb that sounds, but really either you know you're gonna be playing for awhile and you want to be a robot-face while you're doing it or you don't.

GungHo on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dourin wrote: »
    arcath wrote: »
    Xabora wrote: »
    Well....I did it.

Activated Features

* Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    * Star Trek Online - Preorder
    * Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription

I still miss my Del Taco code. Anyone live near one that can score me a code by chance?
    2i8ylc6.gif

After Hellgate London, I've always strayed away from Lifetime subs.

Well even with Hellgate, the people who lifetime sub'd got their moneys worth and a extra month by the math if I am not mistaken.

But even so, look how much SWG has fucked up over the years and is still going. Star Trek is a huge IP and wont be shut down in the next 14-15 months.
    Oh yeah, if I weren't about to end my seasonal job, planning a wedding, and having a baby on the way, I would totally hop on that lifetime sub. Unfortunately, due to the aformentioned events, that's just not going to happen. :P

However, to anybody who has gotten it, or is on the fence about it, if you even remotely enjoyed the game, and think you might log on every once in a while to play it, I really do think it is completely worth it if you have the dough to fork over. But that's just one man's opinion.

Oh man, I am right there with you. This only worked out for me as I actually had a little coming back to me from the IRS this year.

It just worked out perfectly for me. Any other time of year and I wouldn't have done this most likely.

But yeah, most people know already if it's worth it to them or not.

I look at it this way, I would still be playing bridge commander right now if it worked on a widescreen resolution, so yeah I see myself playing this for a bit through the years.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ya know, the Champions thing has me thinking.

CO can't be that hard to update with content. Asheron's Call manages to keep a monthly content patch every single month since release, and they're little more than a story update, a new dungeon or 3, maybe a weapon rebalance... All for the standard MMO fee.

They haven't released any real expansions in years. (Note: This is a major reason AC1 is almost dead, so...)

Why can't Champions Online or STO do the same thing? Is "slightly better graphics" really THAT much harder to put out content for?

KiTA on
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well....I did it.

Activated Features

* Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    * Star Trek Online - Preorder
    * Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription

I still miss my Del Taco code. Anyone live near one that can score me a code by chance?

I went to Del Taco a week ago and struck out. They were still handing out goddamned Santa Claus cups. I'll go again and if they've got em this time I'll get several.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I went to Del Taco a week ago and struck out. They were still handing out goddamned Santa Claus cups. I'll go again and if they've got em this time I'll get several.

I love you. I actually had one on my old account before I had to make a new one.

Cryptic could only transfer my preorder key over to the new account so I lost my shuttle. :/

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, speaking of AC1 almost being dead. Do you know what I saw in Hastings the other day?

A new copy of AC2 for sale. In the new PC section for full price. I wish I got a picture of it, it was golden.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So the Amazon preorder gets you to Borg BO... would people say that is better than the digital download? I'm leaning towards the digital download but don't want to miss out on the BO if it's awesome.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    So the Amazon preorder gets you to Borg BO... would people say that is better than the digital download? I'm leaning towards the digital download but don't want to miss out on the BO if it's awesome.

The digital deluxe edition gives you several more character slots, along with a bunch of ingame options. Given the new skill system, and how much character slots cost in CO ($12.50), the DDE would be the best choice out of all the options available.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

The digital deluxe edition gives you several more character slots, along with a bunch of ingame options. Given the new skill system, and how much character slots cost in CO ($12.50), the DDE would be the best choice out of all the options available.

Has the extra character slots with the DDE been confirmed? Steam only mentions ToS uniforms, the Khaan emote, NX starship designation, and Klingon Blood Toast emote. I haven't seen extra character slots mentioned for anything other than 1-year and Lifetime subscriptions.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ydejin wrote: »

Has the extra character slots with the DDE been confirmed? Steam only mentions ToS uniforms, the Khaan emote, NX starship designation, and Klingon Blood Toast emote. I haven't seen extra character slots mentioned for anything other than 1-year and Lifetime subscriptions.

I believe you have to preorder it from Atari to get the character slots. However, as I just learned, Atari doesn't let you get a refund if you purchased the DDE over 30 days ago.

Though, that shouldn't be a problem at this point if you're looking to purchase the game.

Archonex on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Ya know, the Champions thing has me thinking.

CO can't be that hard to update with content. Asheron's Call manages to keep a monthly content patch every single month since release, and they're little more than a story update, a new dungeon or 3, maybe a weapon rebalance... All for the standard MMO fee.

They haven't released any real expansions in years. (Note: This is a major reason AC1 is almost dead, so...)

Why can't Champions Online or STO do the same thing? Is "slightly better graphics" really THAT much harder to put out content for?

What would be awesome is if they could put out a 4 mission story arc out each month, one part a week. Keep the first three fairly simple and using existing art assets to leave time to go to town on the last part.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, as far as I knew, the only way to get the extra character slots was through purchasing either the lifetime sub, or the yearly sub. If the DDE gives extra character slots, may ninja-cancel my amazon order and get this through Steam. Only reason I did the physical copy was so my fiancee could play it occasionally, but, after playing the beta for a few minutes, she didn't seem too impressed, and likely won't be playing much.

Dourin on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I believe you have to preorder it from Atari to get the character slots. However, as I just learned, Atari doesn't let you get a refund if you purchased the DDE over 30 days ago.

Though, that shouldn't be a problem at this point if you're looking to purchase the game.

Ah. I heard something on the official board about Atari Digital Deluxe Edition being backordered (which seems incredibly stupid for a digital download). However, if they were giving extra character slots, it certainly would be the best Digital route to go. Maybe they ran out of codes and have to generate more.

ydejin on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got to ask, considering that in CO they announced that you got to pay a price to access a new zone as a mini expansion/update as such does anyone else worry that they are going to do the same with STO, I mean they have already stated how micro transaction hungry they are and will be charging for many things, it does make me extremely worried what they might to pull in the future.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Ah. I heard something on the official board about Atari Digital Deluxe Edition being backordered (which seems incredibly stupid for a digital download). However, if they were giving extra character slots, it certainly would be the best Digital route to go. Maybe they ran out of codes and have to generate more.

I'd suggest holding off on it either way. I just checked the page again, and it seems like the character slot thing isn't there. Either i'm mistaken, or they've changed the details on that particular bonus offer recently.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    I'll be honest, a very large majority of me only wants the LTS for the Borg avatar and his skills for ground pvp.

I would expect that any unique/pre-order/lifetime/etc. ability that gives any noticeable advantage past Lieutenant, especially in pvp, is going to be heavily nerfed.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    I'll be honest, a very large majority of me only wants the LTS for the Borg avatar and his skills for ground pvp.

I would expect that any unique/pre-order/lifetime/etc. ability that gives any noticeable advantage past Lieutenant, especially in pvp, is going to be heavily nerfed.

No, they won't, because they only fuck over Klingon players.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have never heard anything about DDE offering extra slots except when someone here in the PA forums mistakenly said it, confused between lifetime/yearly and DDE.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I haven't been blitzing content, but NPC names do not appear over there head like player names do. I didn't take the time to click every NPC to see what their name is. If I was in the habit of checking all NPC names I would never make any progress at all.

I'm in the same situation as Natik pretty much. I got the quest, left the room, wandered around a bit looking for him, checked my log and realized he was probably only a few feet away. Like I said in my previous post, Sulu is not in your line of sight as you go from the quest NPC to the door. Its very understandable why so many people miss him.

That's what you get for not reading the quest text, you silly Goose. The Admiral tells you where Sulu is.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ummm whats a “Joined Trill”?

Xabora on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A person with an ancient space slug in their gut that links with their brain.

Yes.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Think Jadzia Dax

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

A trill with a symbiote, it basically means that it's a Trill with the experience of many lifetimes worth of other Trill.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Think Jadzia Dax

You're talking to someone that has only seen 1 or 2 movies and never even seen the series.

To put it in my perspective, someone playing WoW thats never played Warcraft 1 - 3. D:

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's explained in the preorder faq.

A trill is a Federation Species Choice with some trait.

A joined trill is a Federation Species Choice with the same look and different, special traits.

A trill look is any species, but the back half of the neck and near the hairline at the forehead has squiggly spots.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Someone who's overpowered in ship pvp, runs around in a TOS uniform, and keeps yelling "KHAAAAAAAAN!"

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Xabora on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    The TOS Constitution is a Tier 1 ship, so you're only going to be using it for the first 10 levels.

And according to what I understand of the description of it, you only get it for 20 hours or so anyway before you're made to choose another ship.

You are not MADE to choose another ship. You get a second ship at 11. You can use either one.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

A Trill who has a Symbiont. Like Dax

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    it's just that the enterprise preorder ship sucks as much as a miranda. you can use the ship whenver you watn; it's just gonna suck.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But it has blue phasers.

BLUE.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hahahah I wanted to mention that but forgot to. although I wonder if the blue phasers are an equipable item that will change colors if you change weapons, or if it makes whatever you equip blue.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    it's just that the enterprise preorder ship sucks as much as a miranda. you can use the ship whenver you watn; it's just gonna suck.

Someone mentioned that there is an advantage to using smaller ships on the official forums. Because the skill system is fucked to all hell now thanks to the absurdly low skill point cap, you can't really spec into endgame ships using the skill system without gimping ground combat too. That means that it might just be better to spec into an earlier tier of ships, and put your points into an endgame weapon type and ground combat until the system is fixed.

This would work, because out of the 171 or so choices you have for putting points into skills, you can only put about 16 or 17 points into the final tier of skills thanks to the skill cap. Putting it into an endgame weapon type like Chronitons could be very useful and give you a certain amount of versatility, if they fix the damage scaling issues with weaponry, and the secondary effects proc often.

Also, according to some people who tested space combat at the endgame, every few levels you get about .20 LS faster in space combat. While i'm not sure if that's true, it does mean that someone who's piloting a Miranda may have crap all staying power in a straight fight, but they'll basically be the equivalent of a ninja when compared to all the other ships doing ponderous turns.

And since there isn't a cap on what equipment you can put on certain tiers of ships, that means you could throw a high end shield array, deflector, and engines onto a miranda, then some high tier weaponry and run rings around cruisers while they constantly get screwed out of using a broadside on you.

Archonex on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You only get faster in sector space.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Moving back into a lower tier ship as a higher-level character is going to leave you gimped regardless. Even with max-tier shields, your measly 10,000 hull is going to crumple in moment from bleedthrough alone (and aren't there some weapon types that ignore a larger portion of shields?), and that's not even getting into the lack of Bridge Officer abilities.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You only get faster in sector space.

Well shit. That shoots that theory down then. The lower tier ships should still be faster then the higher tier ones however, with maybe the exception of some of the fleet escorts.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think it'd be viable for PVE, but for PVP I definitely see some possible applications for using a lower tier ship.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, I got bored.
    STO-Rage.1264642684207417511122524050611917200912213573530729.gif

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wait why are they exploding?

Cade on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The USS JIHAD pressed the Abandon Ship button.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    Wait why are they exploding?

Self Destruct.

KiTA on
This discussion has been closed.