As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: If this were your job, you'd be a very rich man.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Did they make any changes to MCOMs in the retail rush mode, ie. make them armable only rather than being able to blow them up with C4?

That would be silly. No, you can still damage them with vehicles and explosives, but they doubled the amount of damage it takes to destroy them.
    They also made is so that the explosives upgrade (the one that lets you carry six C4 instead of three) unlocks at level 24, so it shouldn't be a huge problem right now.

I'm hoping it's something they deal with in the interim.

The jihad quads were getting really abusive towards the end of beta. You'd lose an entire phase of the map in 5-10 seconds with no opportunity at all to defend.

That is one thing I like about conquest. You can't jihad jeep to cap a flag. But if there is no ticket bleed, then that removes much of the point to conquest.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HEY BY THE WAY CARBONFIRE

Yesterday we were on the same team and I saw you needed ammo so I started running after you as an assault to give you ammo but you ran away from me and then I died!

Doooouche.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so I'm in love with this game. Having skipped most of the BF experience, I'm having trouble with PC configuration.

How the Hell do I enable/use the console? I just want to display my frame rates and the internet has failed to bring me an entire solution to this problem.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Yesterday we were on the same team and I saw you needed ammo so I started running after you as an assault to give you ammo but you ran away from me and then I died!

Doooouche.

:P

BTW, if you spot someone who has the low ammo icon over their head, you'll call out "Hey Wait up, I've got some ammo for you!". Same with health packs as medic. Sorry I didn't see you though :oops:

@dougly: just use FRAPS

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Doooouche.

283628430_FxJSk-L-2.jpg

(Either use Q on him or get on Vent and verbally abuse him)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Did they make any changes to MCOMs in the retail rush mode, ie. make them armable only rather than being able to blow them up with C4?

That would be silly. No, you can still damage them with vehicles and explosives, but they doubled the amount of damage it takes to destroy them.
    They also made is so that the explosives upgrade (the one that lets you carry six C4 instead of three) unlocks at level 24, so it shouldn't be a huge problem right now.

The jihad quads were getting really abusive towards the end of beta. You'd lose an entire phase of the map in 5-10 seconds with no opportunity at all to defend.

That is one thing I like about conquest. You can't jihad jeep to cap a flag. But if there is no ticket bleed, then that removes much of the point to conquest.

I'm curious about this as well. It doesn't seem to be nearly as evident as it was in BF2 that capping points gives you a ticket advantage.

Should be pretty easy to test. Hop in an empty server, cap all the points, see what happens to the other team's tickets. I'm at work though. Anyone?

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh okay, I should have known Q would work like that.

And yeah eventually I will get on Vent.

I still suck at this game but it's definitely starting to click.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'm curious about this as well. It doesn't seem to be nearly as evident as it was in BF2 that capping points gives you a ticket advantage.

Should be pretty easy to test. Hop in an empty server, cap all the points, see what happens to the other team's tickets. I'm at work though. Anyone?

I was actually trying, but I'd sit through the ridiculous full server refresh, find a server with nobody on it, join it, get kicked about 5 seconds later, sit through the refresh, join, get kicked... after the fifth refresh I just gave up.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    I like Rush because its like its like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but without side objectives or Spy (giving recon the ability to disguise as the enemy team would be epic, and encourage Recons not to just sit back and snipe things.), and with vehicles.

ehhh I don't think a spy class quite fits into the battlefield motif. Problem is Battlefield wants to depict an actual fight, not guys playing dress up stabbing everyone in the back. I think recon works perfectly the way it is. They should be allowed to sit back and snipe, because that's what a scout/sniper does. Call things out from a distance. I think they need to have greater bonuses for calling out enemies that leads to them being killed, similar to how tracer tagging works. But disguises and the like would honestly break the flow of the game in my opinion. You already have to watch your back enough as it is.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also, there's a rush map... nighttime, everything's cast in a purpleish-blue, and there aren't (m)any vehicles (except a UAV for the attackers).

What's the name of it? I really liked it. I want to play it some more.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, there's a rush map... nighttime, everything's cast in a purpleish-blue, and there aren't (m)any vehicles (except a UAV for the attackers).

Nelson Bay, I think.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

From what I've heard, BFBC2 uses the same system that was in BF:Heroes. There is no ticket bleed, but instead your teams deaths costs more the more flags the other team has captured. It worked great in heroes, flags are generally the way you win but of course killing peeps is important. Just like it was in 1942 anyway.

Edit: Of course I've got no idea how good this works in BC2, though i sounded like i did. I'm getting this tomorrow!

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Nelson Bay, I think.

Which I am convinced is so named after Major Nelson.

Pure speculation.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Conquest feels kinda dumb right now, it's more a who can kill more dudes quicker than an actual conquest map.

I think last night some people understood that, because they weren't doing much to capture points, just killing us, and that's how they were winning.

About unlocks:

When I started my game for the first time, I joined a random server (Because the game would timeout if I tried connecting to the West Coast server) and I didn't have any unlocks, no health or ammo boxes, but I did have the Garand available. I killed about 5 people, then I got killed and then was kicked from the server.

I tried the West Coast server again and it still didn't work. I exited the game, started it up again, was able to join the West Coast server instantly and the ammo/health boxes were available. It seems to be a bug related to servers.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

BTW, if you spot someone who has the low ammo icon over their head, you'll call out "Hey Wait up, I've got some ammo for you!". Same with health packs as medic. Sorry I didn't see you though :oops:

Oohh nifty. Does this work with vehicles as well? Because I died about eleventy-billion times on the PA server last night catching a bullet in the chin while chasing half-health bradleys with my impact wrench in one hand and my junk in the other.

note to drivers: if your vehicle is damaged and you hear the grinding fixy sound... STAY PUT FOR 5 SECONDS.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is this Nelson Bay map similar to the night time map that came with BF2 Special Forces(can't remember the name)? Because I effing loved that map. Bein all sneaky with nothing but boats and buggies to get you around.

I kinda miss the zipline from BF2 Special Forces too. That thing was a blast.
    note to drivers: if your vehicle is damaged and you hear the grinding fixy sound... STAY PUT FOR 5 SECONDS.

People are retarded. In the demo I'd come up behind a half health T-90 or Bradley, go to repair, and the second they heard that grinding noise they'd bolt off. It's like I'm trying to help you silly goose, calm the fuck down.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Damn it, that's what part of the Internet told me :(

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are there any better anti-air unlocks as you level up?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So can anyone explain in explicit detail how these Dr. Pepper codes work? Particularly if a single code can net you multiple prizes, or if it's just that you can enter a code multiple times to get the particular prize you want?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Actually, since someone already mentioned the Dr. Pepper codes, what exactly IS the BC2 dr. pepper thing?

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Boogdud wrote: »

Oohh nifty. Does this work with vehicles as well? Because I died about eleventy-billion times on the PA server last night catching a bullet in the chin while chasing half-health bradleys with my impact wrench in one hand and my junk in the other.

Yeah, it really annoys me when I'm an engineer and the driver just goes back and forth denying me cover as I'm trying to repair it, leading to my death, and the death of the tank soon after.

Also for people who like Nelson Bay. Good news, since my server is now Rush, that's in the map rotation! :P

My personal opinion of Conquest right now is it feels a little too static. Rush after each objective, the map moves, which gives a bit more variety.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    strategery wrote: »
    Is this Nelson Bay map similar to the night time map that came with BF2 Special Forces(can't remember the name)? Because I effing loved that map. Bein all sneaky with nothing but boats and buggies to get you around.

People are retarded. In the demo I'd come up behind a half health T-90 or Bradley, go to repair, and the second they heard that grinding noise they'd bolt off. It's like I'm trying to help you silly goose, calm the fuck down.
    I think the problem is that people can't tell the difference between the grind noise when you're being repaired, and when you're being damaged by an enemy's repair tool. The good sound is high pitched and sounds like a power drill working as it should. The bad one is lower pitched and sounds like a power drill struggling.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't play bad company 1 much, but I'm loving BC2. Rush is where it's at and I cant' wait to try that nighttime map. I woulda bought this for my PC if I had any faith that it could run it at higher settings than the xbox.

Would 2.2ghz dual core, 3 gig ram, gt 8800 512ram vid card have run this alright? It can run Crysis at full settings with a little bit of slowdown here and there. Mostly fine though.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I think the problem is that people can't tell the difference between the grind noise when you're being repaired, and when you're being damaged by an enemy's repair tool. The good sound is high pitched and sounds like a power drill working as it should. The bad one is lower pitched and sounds like a power drill struggling.

There's also those numbers going up and down.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FIVE HOURS

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME IMMA MAKE A SANDWICH

Senshi on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's right up there with starting a round and having a single douche jump in a big multi seat vehicle and take off with half his team all clamoring to get in the damned thing with him. Always fun watching half a dozen vehicles go off with a single person at the start of a round. Ugh.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    I didn't play bad company 1 much, but I'm loving BC2. Rush is where it's at and I cant' wait to try that nighttime map. I woulda bought this for my PC if I had any faith that it could run it at higher settings than the xbox.

Would 2.2ghz dual core, 3 gig ram, gt 8800 512ram vid card have run this alright? It can run Crysis at full settings with a little bit of slowdown here and there. Mostly fine though.

botp'd :(

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

There's also those numbers going up and down.

And to be honest, if you can't keep enemy engineers away from your tank then just gtfo the driver seat. There's a reason DICE changed the top mounted machine gun to remote control, yet it's rarely used in my experience. Which is so friggen stupid when I've racked up more kills gunning in that thing than the driver does with the main cannon.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At the start of the round I will wait even if I'm in the ATV. There's bound to be somebody who wants a ride on an ATV!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The bad one is lower pitched and sounds like a power drill struggling.

And it such sweet sweet music to me. The little bit where you can hear the bit shanking is so delicious.... BOOM. Almost as satisfying as putting the drill to the back of someone's head.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That *was* my setup before I started playing BF2. Close combat with vehicles and explosives around me turned my computer into a slide show at 1650x.

I ended up dropping $600 to upgrade to a 5850 and a cheap phenom 2/DDR3 combo as a result. It's so smooth now.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

It's right up there with starting a round and having a single douche jump in a big multi seat vehicle and take off with half his team all clamoring to get in the damned thing with him. Always fun watching half a dozen vehicles go off with a single person at the start of a round. Ugh.

The best is when he does it with a tank. And then when he inevitably takes two RPG rounds and is sitting in the enemy base with 17 armor left, he jumps out.

Then it slowly dawns on the rest of the team that this is going to be an embarrassing loss as the defenders bleed you dry at the first phase because oh isn't that quaint, they have our tank!

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At the start of the round I will wait even if I'm in the ATV. There's bound to be somebody who wants a ride on an ATV!

Damned straight son. You deserve a hug!

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You should be just fine. My specs:

Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    8800 GT 512MB

And I run the game very well at all high settings except for shadows which are at medium and no filters.

Edit: Dougly, maybe BC2 is just more forgiving than BF2? It would be weird if he couldn't run BC2 decently especially since Crysis isn't a problem.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    I like Rush because its like its like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but without side objectives or Spy (giving recon the ability to disguise as the enemy team would be epic, and encourage Recons not to just sit back and snipe things.), and with vehicles.

ehhh I don't think a spy class quite fits into the battlefield motif. Problem is Battlefield wants to depict an actual fight, not guys playing dress up stabbing everyone in the back. I think recon works perfectly the way it is. They should be allowed to sit back and snipe, because that's what a scout/sniper does. Call things out from a distance. I think they need to have greater bonuses for calling out enemies that leads to them being killed, similar to how tracer tagging works. But disguises and the like would honestly break the flow of the game in my opinion. You already have to watch your back enough as it is.

Yeah, as if people don't get knifed enough

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Boogdud wrote: »
    The bad one is lower pitched and sounds like a power drill struggling.

And it such sweet sweet music to me. The little bit where you can hear the bit shanking is so delicious.... BOOM. Almost as satisfying as putting the drill to the back of someone's head.

This went from mundane to spectacularly creepy in very short order.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You should be just fine. My specs:

Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    8800 GT 512MB

And I run the game very well at all high settings except for shadows which are at medium and no filters.

Ah, yours is a good bit better than mine. Guess I chose well. Thank ya!

Also, best feeling in the world: Drill to the face.

Bzzzz. BzzzBZZZZZZZZ
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The best is when he does it with a tank. And then when he inevitably takes two RPG rounds and is sitting in the enemy base with 17 armor left, he jumps out.

Then it slowly dawns on the rest of the team that this is going to be an embarrassing loss as the defenders bleed you dry at the first phase because oh isn't that quaint, they have our tank!

Gots ta love the people that continually drive choppers into the ground over and over again because not only can't they fly the thing, but they feel the need to practice (and since these guys often DO get passengers) and take the damned team to hell with them.

Aoi on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't want any of you people on my friends list

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Damned straight son. You deserve a hug!

unless I'm playing with people I know, I don't even bother with vehicles in the start. Too many idiots. You can climb on the back of someones ATV, but they'll just go balls deep in enemy territory without trying to be sneaky and you die.

Wanna gun on that T-90 there? Idiot driver doesn't realize how much more effective tanks are if they don't try to penetrate the lines and just hang back pounding the enemy with the powerful force of that main cannon(or zoomed in sniper turret).

Want the UAV? Keep trying, there's a line longer than a Las Vegas night club at midnight.

It's better to just go on foot, let the retarded geese kill each other, and then sneak around the side for an easy plant or capture. More points and less deaths.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
This discussion has been closed.