Options

[STEAM] coming to Mac in "April" (See Valve Time)

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone apply the Mac design tool to a mech, satisfy my curiousity and show me Steve Job's snow white iron giants.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is it wrong that I'm happy Steam is offline so that I can program for that eventuality now?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ninsei CowboyNinsei Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I'm happy Steam is offline so that I can program for that eventuality now?

Is this a scheduled down time?

Ninsei Cowboy on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    card.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not that I know of. So I'm coding as quickly as I can.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not that I know of. So I'm coding as quickly as I can.

Just saw the new Steam Offline sigs. Is it an API limitation that you can't tell if Steam is offline or that the user is invalid. Or are you still working on it.

Either way it's cool to see progress. Progress!

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In both cases there won't be an XML generated. That's all I look for.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just thought of something sad. (Well, kind of sad; depends on what your opinion about DNF was.)

Had Apogee/3D Realms just swallowed their pride in regards to Steam and releasing their back catalog on it, they might have been able to generate enough revenue to keep DNF in development a bit longer. They had some great games in their catalog..

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In both cases there won't be an XML generated. That's all I look for.

You can't first see if you can get a response from the service. Then if so look for the XML? Just to give more of a descriptive error. Though feel free to ignore the talk of a fellow programmer meddling in your work.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    When the community goes down there is a placeholder website, but no XMLs are generated. So I'd still get some sort of response, just not a valid XML one. At that point I could try and crawl the website that I do get to see if it's offline, maintenance or an invalid username, but I don't want to go through that trouble when something is obviously wrong. The end result is the same, the user knows something is wrong, and when they see that everyone's signatures are affected, not just their own, it's easy to draw conclusions.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    GOG is the only other service worth using, and only for those games steam doesn't have already.

This, except that I will usually go with a GOG version over a Steam version for older games.

I used Impulse to buy the GalCiv II expansions, and it was fine. Is there something about the way that they handle non-Stardock titles that's horrible?

Or are we just being silly geese?

Likely, people are primarily just being silly geese. I've got games from both Steam and Impulse, and they all work fine. (I actually bought Mount & Blade via Impulse, because it went on sale there the week I decided to buy it, and I can even add the shortcut to Steam so that I can chat via the overlay with my Steam-purchasing brother. It works fine)

I've got Demigod, GalCiv II (+ all expansions), SoaSE (+ all expansions), and Elemental as "first party" releases from Impulse. I've got Mount and Blade, Space Rangers I and II, Gratuitous Space Battles, and ... a couple others I forget ... as "third party" releases from Impuse. There's no discernable difference between the two sets of games.

While Impulse may have a few hinky parts to it, it's important to remember that it's also a much younger platform than Steam which has, nevertheless, managed to ramp up to a respectable competitor in a short time frame.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    When the community goes down there is a placeholder website, but no XMLs are generated. So I'd still get some sort of response, just not a valid XML one. At that point I could try and crawl the website that I do get to see if it's offline, maintenance or an invalid username, but I don't want to go through that trouble when something is obviously wrong. The end result is the same, the user knows something is wrong, and when they see that everyone's signatures are affected, not just their own, it's easy to draw conclusions.

Ah, ok. Well it gives us cool sigs and that's what matters to most of us. It's just that as I'm sure you know programming problems often prick the ears of nearby coders.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They do indeed.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

Ah, ok. Well it gives us cool sigs and that's what matters to most of us. It's just that as I'm sure you know programming problems often prick the ears of nearby coders.

Does this mean I should keep a flash drive of daikata in my children's clothing incase they are kidnapped?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    I know this has been mentioned, but c'mon, really?

goodatmath.jpg

I fail to understand. Is one an expansion that's already included in the GOTY edition or something?

Check the pricing.

I was gonna ask what yesterdays deal was since I never got a message about it/saw any banners, but apparently I didn't miss anything important.

Morkath on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    man playing through hl2 series is making me re realize how good these games are and how much the episodes showed valve was a damn good conveyor of story through a game

i'm about halfway through ep1 and stuff like
    alyx getting freaked out on the stalker train
    and
    barney being torn up and paranoid as the war takes its toll on him
    remind me of how good these games are for plot and character development

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We're gonna need a new thread soon, Jim.

Here's hoping we get something good on discount tomorrow! I'm hoping for Batman: Arkham Asylum to be included on one of these days.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    We're gonna need a new thread soon, Jim.

Here's hoping we get something good on discount tomorrow! I'm hoping for Batman: Arkham Asylum to be included on one of these days.

I had not even considered this possibility. This could completely change this weeks budgeting. Damn.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is so good. I got it on sale on Steam for like $25 a while back. I was only playing it every 2 weeks or so because I was playing it on a PC at my fiancee's, but when I beat it last weekend I started over on hard mode this week on my home PC and beat it in a few days. I just need to finish all the challenge modes and I'll be done with it, but I seriously put over 40 hours into that game.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mark Hamill is an excellent voice actor.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Remember, boys. He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you, he really is an idiot."

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Mark Hamill is an excellent voice actor.

This man's words are unequivocally fact.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He is, but Ripburger is still his best work.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is so good. I got it on sale on Steam for like $25 a while back. I was only playing it every 2 weeks or so because I was playing it on a PC at my fiancee's, but when I beat it last weekend I started over on hard mode this week on my home PC and beat it in a few days. I just need to finish all the challenge modes and I'll be done with it, but I seriously put over 40 hours into that game.

Freakish Light got it for me this last Christmas, and it was one of the best games I played all year. Everything about it is masterfully done, and I'm so glad I got the chance to play it. I can enthusiastically recommend it to anyone even if they aren't a die hard Batman fan.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4002/

Tomb Raider + Last Remnant Bundle - 66% off

or

Each game individually for 50% off

Hawk on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Funny how in Europe last remnant isn't included in the tomb raider + last remnant package.

Odd, apparently Tomb Raider Anniversary wasn't in that eidos complete package from Christmas. Oh well, I still got Legend and Underworld.

Alegis on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Funny how in Europe last remnant isn't included in the tomb raider + last remnant package.

Odd, apparently Tomb Raider Anniversary wasn't in that eidos complete package from Christmas. Oh well, I still got Legend and Underworld.

Not only that, but it costs £3 more than the tomb raider bundle and comes with exactly the same games. Would be a rather better deal if the Tomb Raider games hadn't dropped to £5-8 retail a year after their respective releases - did the PC releases tank or something?

I do feel that out of the many Square Enix games that might have seen a PC release, Last Remnant was just about the least exciting possible. If we're talking quick ports of 360 games, how about some Tales of Vesperia, or even FFXIII after the requisite 6 months' delay?

EDIT: Yes, I'm stupid for lumping in the Tales series with Square. My mind was rather on the small but significant number of JRPGS that are on the 360, and would therefore make for nice ports!

Bioptic on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's really weird, but I think I know why. The US page and the Euro page have different appIDs and they might have missed that when making the bundle.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    I do feel that out of the many Square Enix games that might have seen a PC release, Last Remnant was just about the least exciting possible. If we're talking quick ports of 360 games, how about some Tales of Vesperia, or even FFXIII after the requisite 6 months' delay?

I'll have to agree with you, but also point out that Square Enix has absolutely nothing to do with the Tales series. That's Namco Bandai.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looks like the best sales we'll be getting on individual games are 50% off. Nothing in SE's catalog really interests me at that price. My wallet will be spared for a week.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, I already have Tomb Raider: Legend, and Underworld for Xbox 360 and PS3 respectively. Haven't played anniversary yet. How is Last remnant?

The whole package sounds interesting though, is there any advantage to playing the two tomb raiders I already have on PC? Any extra features or anything?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did they ever bring that DLC for Tomb Raider Underworld to non-360 platforms? I already own it on 360, but I'd much rather play it on PC.

Also, is it just me, or is Last Remnant not showing up in the bundle? Just as well, no one should have to play that game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Yep, really funky bundle.

bundle.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Huh. Steam is redownloading DoW2.

All of it.

Echo on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's what they do with every patch Echo.

it's patch day.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Relic has a strange definition of "patch".

Echo on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh Relic.

Whata buncha scamps.

Drake on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blame steam/XBL

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well atleast this will give me the chance to finish out my TR trilogy as Legend was the last one I was waiting for to go on sale. Would have prefered $5 price point but I'll take it as is since mever playing Legend was the one thing holding me up from playing Underworld.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Legend is so much better than Underworld in my opinion.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Legend is so much better than Underworld in my opinion.
    Of the three Crystal Dynamics games I liked Anniversary the most.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.