As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Indie Games Thread: March 9th - See OP for massive updating

1235»

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tim James wrote: »
    Just completed Ben There, Dan That! I can't get into adventure games anymore (although I haven't given up on them yet) but this was another example of a game that is the perfect length and difficulty level for me.

You should at least play the demo of Time Gentlemen, Please. The timeskip at the end is amusing.

jothki on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Just completed Ben There, Dan That! I can't get into adventure games anymore (although I haven't given up on them yet) but this was another example of a game that is the perfect length and difficulty level for me.

You should at least play the demo of Time Gentlemen, Please. The timeskip at the end is amusing.
    Yeah I forgot to mention I will pick up the next game. And I know I will enjoy myself, just won't be jumping out of my seat from joy.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/519030

Level Up. A pretty great platformer/rpg with lovely graphics.

Lly on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Huh, it won't load for me. It also seems that NG hates me for using an ad blocker

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Reviving this thread with a new one I found:

War and Peace
    http://www.stephanebura.com/warandpeace/
    v6pw9i.png

sm7jf5.png

Anyone else found anything recently?

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    I was enjoying it until my ship decided it wanted to start flying in circles no matter what engine configuration I used. And then the ships that have 3 times my range, one shot any part they hit, and fired volleys of 6 shots forwards and backwards showed up.

The different colored parts have different weights, which can be somewhat inconvenient.

I haven't figured out how to deal with epicly powerful ships yet. Getting multiple ones on your tail so that they accidentally shoot each other can help a bit. I've also had a few "duels" with my ship pressed against a destroyed notch on the larger ship shooting, with both ships going around in a spiral.

I'm ok with that, except for the fact I don't have time to check weights, and reform my entire ship, I was only getting like 10 seconds before I was being attacked again. It needs at least the option of having a paused garage.

Try shaping your ship like a scoop, then just flying through a debris field to catch what you can, and grabbing a few of the better things you miss using the mouse on the way past. Works well for me.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freeware games I've finished recently:

Lyle in Cube Sector: It's a metroidvania that was just the right length for me. I got killed a lot but it was never too frustrating. Good music, of course.

Nikujin: I'm pretty impressed with myself that I stuck with this game in order to beat it. Very challenging controls but it only takes 30 or 40 tries to get through when you're stuck.

Cho Ren Sha 68k: On the other hand, I did not try to stick with this one. Didn't even make it past stage 3. I still play for fun and can already tell I'm getting better, but I just don't care to practice for bullet hell games. Too much other stuff going on.

N: I honestly don't know why people like this game so much. Just not my thing.

Katakijin: Took me a very long time to get good at this, but I beat the boss in the end. The sense of accomplishment was a lot like Nikujin, and both games are fun when you're doing well.

Zombie Smashers X1: James Silva's original River City Ransom clone. Not quite as long or fleshed out as X2, but still worth brawling through it.

STACKER: Excellent inventory-based Tetris game set in the STALKER universe.

Hope someone is inspired to check these out.

Nikujin is awesome, and at the time was probably one of the hardest games I completed (or got close to, I think I got stuck towards the last level), but is outshined by I Wanna Be The guy and other platformers made purely to make you angry.

Cho Ren Sha 68k is awesome too, but hardly a bullet hell shooter. Check out Touhou or Do Don Pachi.

EDIT: What the hell are those orbs from in that Mushroom Kingdom Fusion game? They remind me of something I can barely recall, but seems like a fond memory...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure if this is linkable because it's a fan game and uses official sprites (along with a ton of custom drawn art), but "Toad Strikes Back" is a phenomenal game. Doesn't play anything like Super Mario Bros, but it's got great level design nonetheless.

The enemies are yanked from their traditional locations and mostly just placed in the level where the creator thought they'd work best. Expect to see a lot of drybones outside of castles. I also saw several original enemies which work in various interesting ways and mostly wouldn't feel out of place in a normal Mario game.

It's just a pretty well designed game all around.

Frem on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    People use sprites from things all the time, music included. My only concern is whether or not it's a ROMhack (popular as they may be, I'm not promoting them in this thread).

I'm trying to come up with a way to format the OP so that it's easier to stay on top of, being casual about it, but I -will- get around to updating it I swear.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got linked to a video about this game over in another forum, and with a little research I managed to find a playable version.

GNILLEY

The game is available at its Global Game Jam 2010 site entry. I haven't played it myself, yet, but it looks to be fun... if nobody else is around. :lol:

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I downloaded it a few days ago, but I'm a little scared to try it. The video was hilarious though.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just ran an update on the OP (HOLY SHIT I KNOW).

It's not a content update though, as in not adding things to the list. BUT

I cleaned up the OP so that it doesn't seem as daunting to update the list. Things are still broken into genres (multiple listings if they apply), all behind spoiler tags. I cleaned up some of the intro text, rewrote some, general format changes (nobody should use size 6 text, what was I thinking?). The work to incorporate things people have linked since my last actual update will take place this week.

To the fellow who PM'd me a few days ago regarding this thread, I'm still working on it!

Edit - When I say "it" I mean what you PM'd me about.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone should probably mention SteamBirds that was talking about in the Newspost, cause that shit is pretty sweet.

http://armorgames.com/play/5426/steambirds

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Steambirds will be added. I'm working on a monumental update to the thread at the moment.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As of this post all updates are in. The usual drill applies - you guys can proof read just in case.

Aside from updating the list with additions, I've changed the formatting of the list. The spoiler tag drop-downs are gone because frankly it looked silly to me. But I've laid out the listings as I have in my other thread. 5 entries, and a space entry, then 5 entries again. Things should be much more readable. Oh, and everything has been alphabetized.

My one flaw at the moment is I dumped a lot of things into the "Other" category. Some things are meant to be there, but not all. Be sure to let me know in this thread (don't PM me over these issues specifically).

I've also decided to change the course of the thread. We have people here who make games and want to tell us about them, but making a thread would be site whoring and we frown upon that. BUT those of you who make games can now link to them and tell us about them here. Even if they're pay-for games. There is a big condition on this though:

You can only do this if you're an active member of the community or otherwise long-standing member of the community (this is a qualifier, not a promise to be one of those). Believe it or not I've had people register for the LP Archive thread to get their stuff listed. If you register just to post your shit here, aside from it not getting listed I'm reporting you to the mods (unless someone else does it first). Site / product whoring is site / product whoring. That changes if you're someone we know and enjoy the company of because you're not just here to shill your shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Been playing a few lately.

Got the international release of The White Chamber. Fully voiced, which is nice. Science-Fiction and horror themed adventure game if you didn't already know. Has a very distinct, anime inspired art style.

Also, Attack of the Paper Zombies. Neat little RTS. The controls are a little wonky, but it has a steady challenge. I just wish the harder levels didn't take so long.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's a puzzle! It's a roguelike! It's mouse-driven!

It's Desktop Dungeons!

DD is a more user-friendly roguelike but has a bit of a puzzle twist to it. Each tile you discover returns health and mana to your character. This becomes essential later on, as each tile becomes more and more important (there are just enough to kill all of the monsters and the boss in the room). There are potions, too, but they are highly limited. Each game takes about 10-15 minutes and consists of only one room and a boss, but it's very challenging.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Desktop Dungeons is pretty fun stuff. But the randomness can really kill it. It's like playing solitaire; many games it's just not possible to win. But the games are short enough, so whatever.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, but there's more strategy than luck to it. I just finished my first game as a Dwarf Priest with the +30% damage glyph and the first strike glyph. It was close (REALLY close), but I managed to kill everything in the dungeon. I'm pretty psyched, up until now I haven't had enough luck/skill to pull it off.

EDIT: And it's a Roguelike, so expecting fairness is not realistic

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watching the IGF awards on Gamespot at the moment:

http://gdc.gamespot.com/live.html

It's the most wahjah fucking thing I've ever seen. Good to see footage of Limbo in action, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's not about fairness, it's just obvious that some maps are completely impossible with some combinations. You can expect to get killed by the first monster in a rougelike, but you can also expect to be able to play out most games in which you don't. I've played many Desktop Dungeon games where I'll kill everything on the map and I'm still 3 levels below the boss and it's impossible to win.

But again, since every game is like 5 minutes long it's not a big deal.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    It's not about fairness, it's just obvious that some maps are completely impossible with some combinations. You can expect to get killed by the first monster in a rougelike, but you can also expect to be able to play out most games in which you don't. I've played many Desktop Dungeon games where I'll kill everything on the map and I'm still 3 levels below the boss and it's impossible to win.

But again, since every game is like 5 minutes long it's not a big deal.

That's never happened to me before, although I have been in a spot where I just need to retire. However, if you choose to retire early, you keep up to 70 gold for your next character, so it's not completely in vain.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Retiring is an option I haven't taken advantage of enough.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've played many Desktop Dungeon games where I'll kill everything on the map and I'm still 3 levels below the boss and it's impossible to win.
    Actually, you can usually control this to an extent.

You get bonus experience for killing stuff above your level, so the key is to pull out every trick in the book to kill something really high level as early as possible. This gets you loads of bonus experience, the result being that you've effectively increased the amount of experience available on the board. Assassins are particularly good at this, as is any character against animated armors (as long as your map has a fireball glyph).

To give you some sense as to how much bonus experience we're talking about here, if you manage to kill a level 9 monster as a level 2 hero (which I've done, twice) you get 56 bonus experience on top of the 9 you'd usually get. That'll take you up to level 5 or 6 in one fell swoop.

This is a really addictive game with a surprising amount of depth.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    I've played many Desktop Dungeon games where I'll kill everything on the map and I'm still 3 levels below the boss and it's impossible to win.

You get bonus experience for killing stuff above your level, so the key is to pull out every trick in the book to kill something really high level as early as possible. This gets you loads of bonus experience, the result being that you've effectively increased the amount of experience available on the board. Assassins are particularly good at this, as is any character against animated armors (as long as your map has a fireball glyph).

To give you some sense as to how much bonus experience we're talking about here, if you manage to kill a level 9 monster as a level 2 hero (which I've done, twice) you get 56 bonus experience on top of the 9 you'd usually get. That'll take you up to level 5 or 6 in one fell swoop.

How does that even work? I've only cleared with a fighter and a priest, but the only thing I can think of is to use the fireball and first hit spells and a lot of potions. Even with that, I have a difficult time killing anything even one level above me.

Frem on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Billmaan wrote: »

How does that even work? I've only cleared with a fighter and a priest, but the only thing I can think of is to use the fireball and first hit spells and a lot of potions. Even with that, I have a difficult time killing anything even one level above me.

Basically, you need to be able to deal enough damage that by the time you've healed yourself back to full health, the monster's still down a few HP. There are a few ways to do this, some depending on the choice of class. The fireball and death-prevention glyphs help a lot. There's also a glyph you probably haven't unlocked yet, which makes this easy:
    a poison glyph, which prevents monster regeneration.
    One of the bonus dungeons also has monsters that only have 1 HP, but resist death several times. As long as you can survive one attack, you can whittle them down.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, I expected to see Yume Nikki on this list. It's an odd game, and not everybody is gonna enjoy it, but I think it deserves some recognition. Here's the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_Nikki

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gotta dig this thread up again - I played this neat little 10 minutes Jump&Run Coma which features some really nice visuals and music and ok gameplay. However, it rekindled my interest for exploration-based, atmospheric platformers. The only ones I can think of that are similar in style are the Knytt games, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know when we can expect the wii-ware release of La-Mulana to happen? My money is sitting on never, but I'm curious to know if anyone has heard something more concrete as to dates.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Played a new game called Frogatto recently. It's a platformer made by the Battle for Wesnoth guys and it's pretty decent. I know it has it's own thread but I use this thread to check out new indie games and figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it here.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well hey, if this thread is still alive at all I'll throw plenty of games atcha

huh, I don't even know where to start! so I guess I'll start with...

L'Abbaye des Morts
    A Jet Set Willy inspired platformer about a monk who escapes persecution by hiding in an abandoned church.

Mondo Medicals
    This one is by Cactus, a Swedish indie game developer. They say that everything he touches turns into 100% pure fucking weird. The less said about this one the better, just play it.

Mondo Agency
    The sequel to Mondo Medicals. Equally bizarre.

Hydorah
    A love song written to Gradius. Very well-done. by the author of L'Abbaye des Morts

Hero Core
    A 4bit (?) exploration game. It's kind of like Sector Z meets Metroid.

Spelunky
    Indiana Jones as a platformer rogue. Sound interesting? It's very good. NOTE: this link probably doesn't have the most up-to-date version, check Derek Yu's site for the most recent. Derek Yu also made Aquaria.

Hammerfight
    Hammerfight is an odd story-driven phsyics-based flight combat...thing. Basically, you attach enormous weapons to this little square helicopter and beat the shit out of other flying helicopters. I enjoy this one a lot. NOTE: the game is not free, it's $9.99 on Steam.

Legend of Princess
    Zelda on an overdose of crack. Very brief, but worth playing.

Gravity Bone
    Geez, how do I describe this one? Avant garde noir. Highly recommended.

8bit killer
    A NES-style FPS. From the author of Hydorah and L'Abbaye des Morts.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aw damn it, I'll have to update this thread again!

I thought I had Spelunky in the list already. If I don't, it'd be because it has its own thread on the forum.

Hero Core though, man, I can get behind that one. I still try to pound away at the fuckin' boss rush mode.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish I knew how to quit you, Spelunky. You are the best game.

But anyway, here's a few indie games that may or may not have been mentioned:

Desktop Dungeons is sort of a mix between a really light roguelike and a puzzle game. Each playthrough, which should last around 10 minutes, takes place in a small, single screen dungeon, in which you have to level up by killing baddies until you are (hopefully) levelled up enough to beat the boss. You have to figure out the right order in which to tackle enemies so that you get the most XP while at the same time not squandering any of your relatively rare potions.

Super Vampire Ninja Zero is a pretty nicely done beat em up where you have to battle successively harder battles against zombies, bats, vampires, ninjas, and your own sister. It's also got great pixel artwork.

Enviro-Bear 2000 is a game in which you play a bear that drives an orange sedan through the woods, crashing into trees, bushes, and lakes so that (hopefully) enough fish and berries fall into your car to fatten you up for hibernation. The catch is that you have to steer, change gears, manipulate the pedals, stuff your face with food, throw away discarded fish skeletons, and shoo away dangerous critters all with one paw, which is controlled by your mouse. It's frantic and hilarious.

edit: woops, desktop dungeons was mentioned on this very page. Durnit.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, snap. I wrote a link post with a bunch of stuff, then accidentally closed the tab. D-: Because I'm highly lazy, here's games with other games they remind me of. Ready? Go!

Momodora :: Linear Cave Story

Action Fist :: Gunstar Heroes, Contra

Shoot First :: Nethack, Gauntlet

There was also a Ludum Dare 48 hour game development competition semi-recently. The theme was "enemies as weapons", and some really nice games came out of it. The top twenty are well worth checking out. I also had fun with Mines and Bobbleheads. Finally, I entered with this thing, which I'm somewhat embarrassed about.

Frem on
  • Options
    kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have to second the Desktop Dungeons!

kraz007 on
    Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • Options
    blankmediagamesblankmediagames Co-Founder Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I am not sure if I am considered a long time member but I have been a fan of penny arcade for a long time so I will take my chances :stuck_out_tongue:

My buddy and I made a murder mystery game inspired by Mafia/Werewolf and SC2 Mafia.

A little about the game:
    * Based on the party game Mafia which is based off of the party game Werewolf created by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986.
    * Inspired by the SC2 mod Mafia and EpicMafia.
    * Multiplayer, up to 15 people in a single game.
    * Browser based, any computer with Flash can play.
    * Live in Alpha right now.
    * Free to play and it will always be free to play.
    * Our revenue comes from selling cosmetic effects from an in-game shop. (think League of Legends)
    * Planning to go into Beta in April.
    * Planning to have the finished Release version in June.
    * We are planning to bring it to steam (will be free there as well).
    * Currently requires Facebook but we are working on our own login system for the game.
    * If I had to classify the game, I would call it a mix between Murder Mystery and Strategy.

http://www.blankmediagames.com/townofsalem

• Options
    guskbskguskbsk Registered User new member
    Hello people,

My name is Gus and I’m a Business Administration student.
    I have always been an indie game enthusiast, I think their very existence is important to the development of the game industry, and I believe that these games’ presence in the market has been growing steadily mainly because of the community and its wish to make it all grow and get better while funding people that really deserve it.
    The last few months I have been gathering resources to develop an online app that I hope will innovate, in some ways, the interaction of all the parts of the indie games community. There is a very long way ahead, but right now, the idea is to gather information about the indie games players, and what are their feelings about the concept that we came up with.
    What you can do to help with this project is help with the research by answering to this survey: http://goo.gl/forms/BGOnYgIz4v
    It will only take 5 minutes and I promise you that it will be something different and good for the community. Please share with fellow indie games fans!
    Thank you very much, and please ask any questions that you like.

TL;DR: Answer and share this five minute Indie Game consumer’s profile Survey: http://goo.gl/forms/BGOnYgIz4v