As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sleep is Death

DracilDracil Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
Remember Passage? Yeah, the guy who made that made a new game called Sleep is Death.

At its core, it's basically a 2-player RPG system (DM+PC) where each person gets 30 seconds to do their actions in turns to play out the story.

You can also create your own objects to use. I think the best part is that you automatically get any object someone uses in their story when you play with them.

http://www.sleepisdeath.net/slideShow explains the concept pretty well.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
Dracil on

• Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have this preordered, and I look forward to playing with some PA people.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The game sounds fascinating, though the name is pretentiously stupid.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As it stands, the creator is not implementing any online play into the game. Ethernet cables and (potentially) ad hoc wifi games only.

That's pretty damn silly. Way to know your audience.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can connect via IP. It's very rudimentary stuff. All he really needs to do is for it to show you your external+internal IP address on the connect screen so you can tell your friend.
    It can be played remotely over the Internet, but you will need to send the other player your Internet address. Sleep Is Death works across most modern routers and firewalls. Instructions for remote Internet play are included.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can't wait to connect to my first game and instantly autodownload a thousand penises that the DM has used to craft a Phallus Cathedral where Dicks worship The Almighty Prick.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The game sounds pretty cool, but yeah, I can imagine people seeing the name "sleep is death" and skipping the entire thing because it sounds like another overly cryptic, pretentious arthouse flash game.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The game sounds pretty cool, but yeah, I can imagine people seeing the name "sleep is death" and skipping the entire thing because it sounds like another overly cryptic, pretentious arthouse flash game.

There was an interview with the guy behind this on Kotaku, and he said the name was entirely intentional; he wants people to tell stories through this, not just use it as "Game-O-Matic 2000".

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

There was an interview with the guy behind this on Kotaku, and he said the name was entirely intentional; he wants people to tell stories through this, not just use it as "Game-O-Matic 2000".

What about people who want to tell stories but have no patience for arthouse wankery?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's all well and good, but I imagine that goal would already largely be accomplished by having nothing automated, and forcing the players to choose the consequences of each action. Also, if people want to use his completely open-ended sandbox game engine to create things he doesn't like, it seems like it would be against the whole intent of the game to try and prevent that.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's all well and good, but I imagine that goal would already largely be accomplished by having nothing automated, and forcing the players to choose the consequences of each action. Also, if people want to use his completely open-ended sandbox game engine to create things he doesn't like, it seems like it would be against the whole intent of the game to try and prevent that.

He's not preventing anything by titling the game a certain way, he's just setting a mood. If the game was called "Super Fun Game Maker", then theoretically people would lean toward making super fun happy games. If it's called "Sleep is Death", the idea is that people will be tempted to consider darker subject matter. There's nothing preventing you from making a game about a bunny trying to collect all the cuddles from Happyland, he's just trying to suggest via the title that you try exploring some themes you might not automatically think to try in a video game.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

He's not preventing anything by titling the game a certain way, he's just setting a mood. If the game was called "Super Fun Game Maker", then theoretically people would lean toward making super fun happy games. If it's called "Sleep is Death", the idea is that people will be tempted to consider darker subject matter. There's nothing preventing you from making a game about a bunny trying to collect all the cuddles from Happyland, he's just trying to suggest via the title that you try exploring some themes you might not automatically think to try in a video game.

Welp, he failed, since the main thing it makes me think is "goddamn, the creator's a pretentious twit." Especially since it's not centered around dying via sleep.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I suppose that's fair. I just think the mood would be better served by going with a more straightforward name like "Storyteller" or something that actually explains what it is you're playing, rather than a lame title that makes the entire thing sound like an angsty 10th grader's poetry journal.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I suppose that's fair. I just think the mood would be better served by going with a more straightforward name like "Storyteller" or something that actually explains what it is you're playing, rather than a lame title that makes the entire thing sound like an angsty 10th grader's poetry journal.

Well, it's also supposed to be a bit attention-grabbing, like any good title. You see a title like "Sleep is Death" in the midst of things like "Game Maker" or "Visual Interactive Studio", and you're gonna think, "whoa, what the hell is THAT?".

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Well, it's also supposed to be a bit attention-grabbing, like any good title. You see a title like "Sleep is Death" in the midst of things like "Game Maker" or "Visual Interactive Studio", and you're gonna think, "whoa, what the hell is THAT?".

A good point

But at the same time, pretentious as fuck

It certainly sounds way interesting though! Although I don't know that I will purchase it since the online play sounds almost like an afterthought on the developer's part and I don't know how well that will work

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Ok, the title is pretentious. Now that we've covered that topic throughout most of Pg 1, what's next?

TekDragon on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    You can connect via IP. It's very rudimentary stuff. All he really needs to do is for it to show you your external+internal IP address on the connect screen so you can tell your friend.
    It can be played remotely over the Internet, but you will need to send the other player your Internet address. Sleep Is Death works across most modern routers and firewalls. Instructions for remote Internet play are included.

That sounds like some unforgivably clunky shit to me.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey a title that caters to my very particular phobia. Fun times.

That said the game itself looks pretty interesting.

You know you could probably get some sort of Paranoia game going in this, though I doubt it's as much fun with one player.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys if you haven't already seen it, anthony burch did two previews on destructoid from both angles. You can even download the stories because they just turn into a bunch of images you go through.

He goes on to talk about how no matter how prepared he was, the people he played with (girlfriend and sister) kept on coming up with really crazy shit to throw it all off. But it all seemed really fun.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have no idea why "sleep is death" is the apex of pretentiousness. I really don't get the point.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm also not a fan of the name of the game, but I definitely like this "storytelling as a game" idea... it looks like it's going to be kind of like what I imagined NWN was going to be for multiplayer when I had first heard about it. I like the idea! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have no idea why "sleep is death" is the apex of pretentiousness. I really don't get the point.

Point to me in the game where it's so wrapped up in death via sleeping, then.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jesus Christ guys who cares what the game is named? 99% of it consists of both players making shit up so honestly it doesn't matter if the developer is a wine-sipping cheese-nibbling Derrida-reading postmodernist hipster from Portland, Oregon. Can we just pretend it's called "GAME WOT YOU MAKE URSELF" and talk about the concept?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whiny bitches.

This game looks great in a "play dungeon master for your pals" sort of way.

Aeonfell on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know what would be interesting

A sort of "play be email" mode

That'd be neat

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, I thought I wouldn't like this, but read the write-up on Destructoid and.. preordered.

And yes! PBEM would be awesome!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preordered it today...I hope we get some sort of PA group going

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pre-ordered. The idea of this has a crippling grip on the same part of me that enjoys DMing tabletop roleplaying. With the player interface so easy to understand and ubiquitous, you could expose anyone to this.

I have a vision of after months, having a library of stories, and just being able to pull them out rapid fire to entertain in any situation. And the more you work within a story, the better you'd get at controlling it, I'd imagine.

9$ is a small price to pay to try out something so novel. Only 3 days left to pre-order.

Entriech on
  • Options
    bah2501bah2501 Registered User new member
    edited April 2010

That's not entirely true.... yes, he is setting a mood, but it's more than that. There are roadblocks to having a happy experience.

For example, there is a music editor (you can make your own music, yay!), but it forces you to compose in a minor key. the experience is guided toward dark subject matter with more than just the title.

bah2501 on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All right, preordering. Apparently it comes with 2 copies? That's pretty cool. Anyway, looking forward to playing this.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if this includes medieval or futuristic or steampunk assets. It could be fun to create a story with your buddy in those settings.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Falstaff wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »

That sounds like some unforgivably clunky shit to me.

It's the same game theory that Nintendo and Friend Codes entails. No anonymous multiplayer, because anonymous people are silly geese. There's a level of commitment you have to display to play with somebody, be it entering their IP address directly into the program, or tapping out 12 digit numbers on a tiny touchscreen.
    Dashui wrote: »
    I wonder if this includes medieval or futuristic or steampunk assets. It could be fun to create a story with your buddy in those settings.

It will if you make them, or if you play a story by somebody who has made them.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if there will be a crackdown on trademarked stuff? Because I can imagine a lot of cool things to do within established universes.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seeing as how it's a direct connection between you and your partner, there can't be any crackdown on hypothetical copyright infringement than censoring all internet traffic. It's really more designed for Lan play, which means you're even safer there making Firefly fanfics with a friend.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I would have titled this game "MURDER!?"

You have to say it in upper-class British accent though.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This feels like the kind of "games" I used to play with the little brother when we were kids. That is, I'd go, "Ok, you're the hero, and terrorists have taken over the building/aliens are invading/you're fighting in a secret tournament...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?"

and then we'd play pretend for like the next week or so in hour long sessions because we'd always remember exactly where we were.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Chia MountainChia Mountain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm too jaded to understand what's pretentious or not.

Chia Mountain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Schlitz!
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SUP IM IN THE AIR LOLS

I'll probably buy this.

Shamus on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    This feels like the kind of "games" I used to play with the little brother when we were kids. That is, I'd go, "Ok, you're the hero, and terrorists have taken over the building/aliens are invading/you're fighting in a secret tournament...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?"

and then we'd play pretend for like the next week or so in hour long sessions because we'd always remember exactly where we were.

My brother and I did this too. The best games ever. We even used our checkerboard linoleum flooring as a game board. Index cards out the ass with items and whatever else written on them.

I'll be looking into this game thanks to those memories.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I threw down for a preorder. I'm pretty excited to try it out with my brother over the internet.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm planning to pre-order, might even pick up a second pre-order so I can spread the joy even further.
    Looks like this site/ might be worth checking on the 9th. It claims it's going to provide some form of matchmaking service for the game.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png