As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jade Empire: In Which a Thread is Created, A Post is Made, and a Discussion is Had

CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
jade-empire.jpg

Jade Empire is an action RPG by BioWare, that unstoppable jugggernaut of excellant gaming. The game is set in the eponymous Jade Empire, a massive land beased on Chinese mythology. You play as a young martial arts student who's teacher, Master Li, has been kidnapped by the Emperor's mysterious and terrbile enforcers the Lotus Assassins. The Lotus Assassins, led by the powerful Death's Hand, now hunt you as you and you companions attempt to unravel the darkest secrets of the Empire.

Here's the offical site:

http://jade.bioware.com/specialedition/

And here's the wiki:

http://jadeempire.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

TL;DR - It's really, really good.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
CaptainNemo on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I actually enjoyed it, but I can understand why a lot of people couldn't get into the real-time combat control scheme.

I have no idea how well it plays on the PC.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have no idea how well it plays on the PC.

Perfectly well. Probably better than on a console I'd imagine.

I liked Jade Empire. Lot of dislike for it though :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm playing it on the 360, and it controls like a dream. The only two party member system is a little wonky, but once you get used to it it works like a breeze.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Played it on the XBox, loved it. Now I have it for the PC, but I'm a little weirded out because things seem to be moving...faster than they should. It may just be in my head though, mostly thanks to speed-up issues in other games I've played.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember loving this game when I first played through it.

Was really disappointed about how short it was.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So, what's the general consensus on which kung fu is the best? I've been using Legendary Strike and Crimson Tears mostly, and they just aren't doing it for me.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love Jade Empire. It's probably my favourite Bioware RPG and I'm pretty sure I've played them all.

Except the Sonic one. But I don't think that one could possibly be as good as Jade Empire.

Because Jade Empire is really very good.

As for which kung fu is best... I always found Leaping Tiger to be the 'best', but because I think the Wolverine claws look kinda silly, I usually go with Legendary Strike or White Demon.

Actually, I usually go with Thousand Cuts, because Radiant Jen Zi is my 'default' hero and Thousand Cuts is her default style, but that one's so not my favourite. The lack of forward momentum really hurts it.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I experimented with Thousand Cuts, but the punches just looked silly on my screen. Leaping Tiger had the best combination of punches and kicks, but the claws look dumb. What does White Demon look like?

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    White Demon... let's see if I remember right... you're kind of crouched forward (sorta) and you mostly punch in long, powerful horizontal arcs with your fists closed.

It's all about the brute force.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    bentacosbentacos Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Thank you for reminding me that I need to get back to this game. I picked it up during the steam holiday sale, got through chapter one, then gaming ADD kicked in and I started playing something else.

bentacos on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I seem to remember the Internet being lousy with Jade Empire 2 rumors a few years ago, and then nothing. I do hope they get around to making it, a game with Mass Effect 2's visual and storytelling fidelity + Kung Fu action just sounds too awesome not to happen.

Darlan on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I always found the style that is purely focused on kicks to be the best martial arts style.

But really it's all about powering through the arena asap to get dual swords, anyway.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The game suffers from BioWare First Chapter Syndrome, where the first chapter is dull as shit and the rest is a shining golden god of a game. Look at Taris and the Citadel.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The game suffers from BioWare First Chapter Syndrome, where the first chapter is dull as shit and the rest is a shining golden god of a game. Look at Taris and the Citadel.
    I don't mind the first chapter, actually, and think it does a fairly decent job of setting everything up -- it's the giant slog through the second chapter that I can't stand, or at least the first half of it. If I can make it through the dam without stopping I'm usually good for a full playthrough.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I liked Tien's Landing, but the Imperial City is just amazing. Plus it has John Cleese.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I always found the style that is purely focused on kicks to be the best martial arts style.

But really it's all about powering through the arena asap to get dual swords, anyway.
    The kicking one is Legendary Strike. Which always kind of confused me.

And you don't have to power through much of the Arena to get Crimson Tears. You just have to beat the bronze division.

Also, I think I'll always remain fond of Mirabelle. Partly because it's just hilarious, but also because it taught me some very important lessons about range that made me a much more effective magic user.

Of course, my magic of choice is Stone Immortal which isn't exactly the best choice because its strong attack can't hit floating targets, but whatever. My point about range stands.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, I was just searching for a thread on this game this past week to see what people were saying about it. I bought it during Steam's Christmas sale and only got around to playing it last week, marathoning through twice. Despite a lot of flaws like highly uninteresting party members (except Silk Fox and Zu) and combat which I think gets pretty boring before long, I'm really fond of it.

Leaping Tiger was my favorite style just because the others seem to have zero range. Also, the wolverine claws look fine on Scholar Ling, who is obviously the best character.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If there was a way to just get rid of the cemetery, the Imperial City would be flawless. But no, you gotta fight those stupid ghosts with the shields that float so your earth magic charged attack can't even hit them. :(
    And you don't have to power through much of the Arena to get Crimson Tears. You just have to beat the bronze division.
    Oh, it's just bronze? I thought it was silver for some reason. Well, either way, it's clearly the way to go for melee. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Leaping Tiger was my favorite style just because the others seem to have zero range. Also, the wolverine claws look fine on Scholar Ling, who is obviously the best character.
    Scholar Ling? You heathen. Radiant Jen Zi is where it's at.

Ah well. At least you don't prefer Lu the Prodigy. He should've been renamed Blandy McBlandbland. He's so forgetable I actually had to look up his name.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Imma hate to interrupt you, but Wu the Lotus Blossom is the best spirit monk of all time!

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I generally always pick the guy with the dragon tattoos.

I go for Lu, though, when I don't feel like looking at manly boob muscles for the whole game :(

But I generally tweak the starting stats anyway, so it's really all about the models for me.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Oh, it's just bronze? I thought it was silver for some reason. Well, either way, it's clearly the way to go for melee. :P
    Yeah, it's Bronze. Crimson Khana teaches you the style, after all, and she's the champion of the Bronze Division.

Iron Soldier is head of the Silver Division and he's a dick who doesn't teach you anything.
    Although he will throw the fight for you if you poison Crimson Khana. But why would you poison Crimson Khana?

And while I also like double sabers for the double sabers, I do have to put in a good word for the basic longsword. It's pretty fast, covers a lot of ground and the basic version, Fortune's Favourite, doesn't consume any Focus at all once you've upgraded its Focus Reduction as far as it can go, allowing you to use it pretty much forever.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Scholar Ling? You heathen. Radiant Jen Zi is where it's at.

Ah well. At least you don't prefer Lu the Prodigy. He should've been renamed Blandy McBlandbland. He's so forgetable I actually had to look up his name.

Lu the Down Syndromy.

I'll accept Jen Zi as second best female, but she just looks like she's 15. Then there's Tiger Shen, who I did my callously CF game with and couldn't stop thinking of him as Sloth from the Goonies.

And Crimson Khana was awesome and I wish you could get her to join your party.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Imma hate to interrupt you, but Wu the Lotus Blossom is the best spirit monk of all time!

Quoted for truth.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And while I also like double sabers for the double sabers, I do have to put in a good word for the basic longsword. It's pretty fast, covers a lot of ground and the basic version, Fortune's Favourite, doesn't consume any Focus at all once you've upgraded its Focus Reduction as far as it can go, allowing you to use it pretty much forever.

The basic longsword's my favorite weapon to use for just this reason. It's effective and rather sparing with the focus. Perfect thing for those long crazy fights, especially the later tournament ones or against those golems.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll accept Jen Zi as second best female, but she just looks like she's 15. Then there's Tiger Shen, who I did my callously CF game and couldn't stop thinking of him as Sloth from the Goonies.
    I used Monk Zeng for my first Closed Fist playthrough.

That was a pretty weird experience.

And Crimson Khana was awesome and I wish you could get her to join your party.
    Same here.

She says she goes back to seek out new challenges, but then you don't get to tell her she'll have plenty of interesting challenges if she joins your team?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I roll with Furious Ming, but dammit, I wish he would wear a shirt.

Anyone remember Sir Roderick?

edit: Holy crap he was voiced by John Cleese.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Minus Five for incorrect use of meme. :P

It's "I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but..."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I roll with Furious Ming, but dammit, I wish he would wear a shirt.

Yes. And I took great pleasure in squashing his English ass.

Mirabelle is awesome for certain boss fights.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man, who doesn't remember Sir Roderick Ponce von Fondlebottom the Magnificent Bastard?

And Mirabelle.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That was, by far, the best quest in the game. I never really used Mirabelle just because it was one of those things, like Jade Golem form that is just too powerful, but damn if I don't love getting it every single time. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Holy shit this game is gorgeous. I just got to the palace.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Holy shit this game is gorgeous. I just got to the palace.
    Ah yes.

The palace.

The place where [redacted for awesome].

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can I just change the topic for a minute to talk about how grateful I am that this game had a male/male romance that wasn't with a stereotypical guy, and that wasn't treated as a joke? Because I am really grateful for that.

The fading to black before the kiss thing is bullshit, but the rest of it is good stuff.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    The Lotus Blossom is great...if you like prostitutes. Hey-oh!

Khana was way more interesting than half the people that join you, and I enjoyed her conversations a lot more, too. Maybe it's just a consequence of how quickly you can go through the game making it more obvious, but a character like Black Whirlwind seems to have the shallow surface plus one historical detail.
    (I'm drunk and dumb and I like fighting and nooooo brooothhheerrrr).

Hen is pretty much as advertised, and I found Kang way too "wacky!" for my tastes. I liked Silk Fox the most because she mimed my choices based on whatever path I set her on, which was consistently satisfying.

But god I'm really pining for a sequel. Maybe after ME3?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Threesome.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hen is pretty much as advertised, and I found Kang way too "wacky!" for my tastes. I liked Silk Fox the most because she mimed my choices based on whatever path I set her on, which was consistently satisfying.
    I like Kang, because... well because he is wacky. He reminds me of Leonard of Quirm. Also, he represents a very sensible theological position. Kind of.

As for Silk Fox... I tend to be an Open Palm player, but I prefer to romance her Closed Fist-style. The Empire really does need a bit of shaking up and besides, when I gotta choose (or help a fictional character choose) between freedom and tradition, I'm gonna go with freedom every time.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Threesome.

Okay, that too, but I'm thinking more of the many lines she chips in during late game conversations when someone disagrees with you for being CF (if you made her CF, too).

Also, speaking of CF, holy balls does this game have the most evil "evil ending" for a Bioware game ever or what? I felt bad the whole time. Damn!

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really dont know how good i really think this game is, it still looks good and the fighting system is pretty cool, but the areas felt so incredibly limited and it didnt really like feel i was actually on a long journey, but was merely waltzing around the imperial city and its subburbs. It felt so incredibly anticlimatic to me. Also i didnt really like the party system, it sort of felt like i was merely bringing along a buffbot. Though it was really hilarious to roll around with the stun fighting style, NO ONE except for the demons were immune to it, so i really dont actually know how either deaths hand,
    the emperor
    or the last boss are supposed to fight. They ended up just standing there twitching while i wailed at them .

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Threesome.

Okay, that too, but I'm thinking more of the many lines she chips in during late game conversations when someone disagrees with you for being CF (if you made her CF, too).

Also, speaking of CF, holy balls does this game have the most evil "evil ending" for a Bioware game ever or what? I felt bad the whole time. Damn!
    This is my biggest problem with the game, I think. For 99% of the game, Closed Fist is just a "chaotic good" path.

Then all of a sudden you're some sort of Evil Overlord, all murdering everyone that voices the slightest dissent and, like, sacrificing puppies to your dark lord and shit.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png